• Published 23rd Jun 2019
  • 1,077 Views, 178 Comments

What if Mavis was a: - darkmage1997



A few short stories about Mavis being something other than a Mermaid/Gorgon.

  • ...
 178
 1,077

Chapter 2: Werewolf (Part 2)

At the Crystal Empire Station,

As soon as the friendship express pulled in, the Mane 6 piled out, and made a beeline for the Crystal Palace, "Are you sure what Cadence was talking about was real?" Rainbow Dash asked Twilight.

"There's no doubt. There's some kind of emergency here. That's the vibe I got from the letter she sent me earlier," Twilight replied.


Flashback, early that morning,

As Twilight was getting out of bed, a letter materialized in her bed chambers. Unrolling it, she saw that it was from her sister in law, Cadence, and based on the horn writing, she knew instantly that something was amiss. She then proceeded to read the letter,

"Twilight, we have an emergency in the Crystal Empire! We need your help! Bring Raiden with you!

Cadence,

Twilight pondered what the emergency could be, but wasted no time in heading out to gather her friends.


Present Time,

"And that's all I was able to gather from the note," Twilight said, as they neared the castle. In the skies above, they saw the carriage, commandeered by Celestia and Luna, also nearing the castle, "Looks like Cadence contacted Canterlot too," she commented, as they arrived at the castle. Much to the Mane 6's, and even the Royal Sister's surprise, the guards looked like they weren't expecting them.

"Princesses Twilight, Celestia, and Luna, what brings you all to the Crystal Empire?" one of the guards asked.

"We were all called here by Cadence. She said there was some sort of emergency?" Celestia replied. The guards looked at each other, then back at the two groups.

"We... weren't told that she was expecting you," the other guard replied. The two groups certainly weren't expecting this.

"I will take you to the Princess. She and her family are in the dining hall," the first guard said, leading them into the castle. It didn't take long for them to reach the dining room, where they saw Cadence, Shining Armor, Nathan, Skyla, and Guard were all seated around the table, unharmed, eating breakfast, along with a human girl they haven't seen before.

"Twiley? This certainly is a surprise," Shining Armor commented.

"What brings you here, Aunt Celestia, Aunt Luna?" Cadence asked.

"We got your message?" Twilight replied, floating the letter over to them. Looking it over, Cadence had a look of mild shock on her face.

"I never sent this," she stated.

"So, there was no emergency?" Rainbow Dash asked.

"Well, we thought there was at first, but...." Nathan said, making warping noises, as he went into a flashback.


Last Night,

Mavis had pounced at the Crystal Family, growling threateningly, "What happened to her?!" Cadence exclaimed.

"Wolf ears, wolf tails, furry arms and legs, and yellow eyes..... there's no mistakin'...… Mavis is a werewolf!" Nathan exclaimed, as Mavis went on to attack them again, only for them to duck into the living room, avoiding the wolf girl's attack.

"What in Equestria is a werewolf?!" Cadence exclaimed.

"A monster that turns from a human into a wolf creature durin' a Full Moon. They've made tons o' movies about them back on Earth," Nathan explained.

"Is there a way to stop one?" Shining Armor questioned.

"The only thing that deals with werewolves is silver, but we don't want ta kill her, do we?!" Nathan exclaimed. The Crystal Couple looked at each other, and then back to Nathan.

"No. It's clear that Mavis has suffered before we met her earlier this evening. What about a cure?" Cadence asked.

"Ah'm afraid there ain't no known cure," Nathan replied. A growling broke their attention, as they shifted it towards the door, revealing the aggressive wolf girl, who crept slowly at them, "Uh, Mavis, Ah know we got off on the wrong hand, but Ah can assure ya, ya don't want ta do this," Nathan tried reasoning with the werewolf, who bared her fangs at the Crystal Family, who backed up, putting some furniture between them and her. Cadence quickly wrote a letter to Twilight, as Mavis charged at them, when.....

WHACK!

The three of them saw that Mavis was in fettle position, holding her foot, which she hit on the coffee table. They could hear her whining in pain. Mavis the proceeded to stand up, only to hit her head on very same coffee table, causing her to yelp in pain again. Cautiously, Cadence approached her, "Mavis, sweetie? Are you alright?" she asked, patting Mavis' head. Instead of attacking the pink alicorn, they all saw that Mavis instantly became docile, her eyes tearing up from a mix of pain from hitting her foot and head, and also from the guilt of attacking them.

"je suis vraiment désolé. I did not mean to attack any of vous," Mavis said, her voice sounding just a little growly.

"Uh, it's alright, but may Ah ask why you went all feral?" Nathan asked.

"It's mon wolf nature. I only attacked because I changed and didn't have time to adjust to this form. That, and the smells were unfamiliar to moi," Mavis explained.

"But... you're calm now, yes?" Shining Armor asked. Mavis simply nodded.

"I hope you do not mind moi saying, but that fruity smell you have is quite lovely, Princess," Mavis said.

"I used Strawberry and Cream body wash and conditioner," Cadence admitted.

"And I must say, that peanut butter scent on Nathan is quite lovely too," Mavis commented.

"But Ah haven't been eatin' anything with peanut butter," Nathan commented.


Present time,

"Wait, so, Mavis IS one of these 'werewolf' monsters, but is actually more dangerous to herself than she is to others?" Rainbow Dash questioned.

"I would've worded that better, but yes," Cadence replied.

"And she's not really a monster. She's more like a puppy," Nathan said. Mavis shrunk out of embarrassment at being called a puppy, but she did like being called one, as it made her feel cute.

"So, just a false alarm?" Luna asked.

"I guess. Sorry about this guys. But, since you're all here, maybe you'd all like to meet Mavis a little more formally?" Shining Armor asked.

"We'll make introductions on Mavis' behalf," Cadence said, walking over to the girl in question. "Everyone, this is Mavis Goustou, our little guest," Cadence said, introducing Mavis, who shrank in her seat, upon feeling multiple strange gazes coming her way.

"A shy one, is she?" Celestia asked.

"Yes. She wasn't very open with us at first. But when she transformed last night, and saw that we accepted her, she became rather tame," Shining Armor replied.

"I see. So, we should just give her time to warm up to us," Twilight commented.

"It could be a part of her wolfen nature. Wolves tend to be more scared of us than we would be of them," Fluttershy piped in.

"Maybe, but Ah think that may just be how Mavis is altogether," Nathan replied, taking Mavis aside, "Now tiger, Ah know it can be scary to meet new people, or in this case, new ponies, but Ah can assure ya, these folks are all really nice. Ya get where Ah'm goin' with this?" Nathan asked.

"Oui," Mavis replied, though her tone indicated she still had some uncertainty.

"Just relax. They ain't gonna try ta hurt ya, Ah promise," Nathan said, bringing Mavis back to the group from the little pep talk. Deciding this needed to be done delicately, Twilight opted for Fluttershy to go first.

"Hello Mavis, it's very lovely to meet you. My name is Fluttershy, and I love animals of all kind. If I may ask, do you exhibit any typical mannerisms of a wolf when you change?" Fluttershy asked.

"Some of them, I do. As Princess Cadence said, I can often attack those whose scents are unfamiliar to me just after changing, which is why I need a moment or so to adjust to my new body. I also have a tendency to chase mon own tail, and howl when I feel an irresistible urge to do so," Mavis quietly explained. Fluttershy nodded, and passed the torch off to Rarity.

"Hello, young one. I am Rarity. And I must say, you look quite.... lovely in that dress," Rarity tried to hide her disdain for Mavis' Gothic Lolita dress. Mavis seemed unnerved by her mannerisms.

"Don't worry, precious. Rarity just has a bit of bad history with Gothic Lolita. Anyways, my name is Twilight Sparkle, the Princess of Friendship, and also Shining Armor's younger sister. By the way, how is your transformation triggered anyhow?" Twilight asked.

"It happens whenever I look at the moon when it is full. And it's not just the real one that makes me change. Any image causes me to transform," Mavis replied meekly.

"I see," Twilight replied. Applejack decided to go next.

"Howdy there little lady. Ah'm Applejack, part of the massive Apple Clan all across Equestria. If ya want, Ah can show ya mah home, Sweet Apple Acres," Applejack said.

"I would happily accept your invitation," Mavis replied. Twilight motioned for Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie to take it easy when introducing themselves. Rainbow Dash went on up first.

"Hey there kiddo, the name's Rainbow Dash. I'm one of the fastest Pegasus ponies out there. Maybe some time I can show you a few tricks?" the rainbow maned Pegasus offered. Mavis nodded. Next up was Pinkie Pie. Her friends were expecting her to be all overexcited to meet someone new, but instead, Pinkie calmly walked up to the young girl, and knelt down to eye level.

"Hi there. My name is Pinkie Pie, Ponyville's resident Party Pony master. If you want, I could plan a party for you to welcome you to Equestria. Of course, you are free to decline," Mavis thought about what Pinkie had just said.

"I am not comfortable with lots of attention, so, if you do not mind, I wish to decline," Mavis politely declined. Pinkie nodded in understanding. Last but not least, Celestia and Luna approached Mavis.

"Hello Mavis. I am Princess Celestia, and this is my little sister, Luna. We are in charge of raising the sun and the moon," Celestia introduced the two.

"As for your uncomfortable transformation, I must apologize, but this is an extremely rare year, when the moon is full all week long once each month," Luna replied.

"You don't need to apologize, really! I may not be comfortable when changing, but it doesn't mean I don't like transforming. It makes me feel, how you say, free," Mavis replied.

"Free from what, exactly?" Twilight asked.

"The binds of being human," Mavis meekly replied.

"Y'know Mavis, Ah think mah buds down in Ponyville would love ta meet ya," Nathan commented.

"Is this 'Ponyville' nice?" Mavis asked cautiously.

"Of course. It's one of the friendliest places in Equestria," Twilight replied.

"It's got all kinds of places, a bakery, a boutique, even a guild hall, and a castle," Pinkie Pie added.

"I tell you what Mavis. Why don't you go and see Ponyville for yourself? I'm sure you can make all kinds of new friends, and maybe Rarity could make you some new outfits?" Cadence asked.

"It would be my pleasure to make her some more outfits," Rarity replied.

"Well, I guess I could go see it," Mavis replied.

"Oh good. Nathan, could you go and help Mavis pack a few things for the trip?" Cadence asked, levitating a satchel to her eldest son. With a nod, Nathan took Mavis out of the room, leaving the adults all alone, "By the way, where's Raiden?" Cadence asked.

"He was in the middle of an experiment when we left, so he couldn't come," Twilight replied.

"Well, while your down there, could you see if he can shed some light on this whole 'werewolf' business? I want to help Mavis feel more comfortable here," Cadence requested.

"You can count on us," Twilight replied.

"Ok then, once the two of them come back, we'll see you all back to the train station. And while you're gone, we'll try to figure out who sent that letter," Shining Armor commented. No sooner than he said that, Nathan and Mavis came back.

"Ok, Ah think we're all ready for the trip," Nathan commented.

"Ok then. We'll see you all to the station," Cadence said, as she and Shining Armor exited the castle with them.

"We'll head on back to Canterlot. And we hope to hear from each of you soon," Celestia said, as she and Luna deviated from the group to go back to their chariot, and headed on back to Canterlot. Meanwhile, with the group, they had just arrived at the station.

"Sorry about making you come all the way up here for nothing, Twiley," Shining Armor commented.

"It's alright Shining. But I wouldn't say 'for nothing'. We got to meet a new friend," Twilight replied, as the Ponyville gang boarded the train.

"Nathan, I want you to keep an eye on Mavis, and make sure she doesn't get lost or hurt, ok?" Cadence asked.

"Sure thing," Nathan replied. Just then, the train gave a whistle, and took off.