• Published 23rd Jun 2019
  • 1,079 Views, 178 Comments

What if Mavis was a: - darkmage1997



A few short stories about Mavis being something other than a Mermaid/Gorgon.

  • ...
 178
 1,079

Yuuki Onna/ Snow Woman

It was a warm, summer's evening in the Crystal Empire, and a certain couple were returning home to the Castle, after an evening out, "Once again, you've outdone yourself, dear," Cadence said, as she walked with her arms wrapped around her husband.

"Anything for you, my love," Shining Armor replied. They had rounded a corner, when they felt a sudden chill in the air, "Is it supposed to be cold?" he wondered.

"It can't be. It's too warm," Cadence replied. They're curiosity was soon answered, when they saw a little human girl, with raven black hair, slumped next to a building, in a very well made Gothic Lolita dress. They saw some kind of mist emitting from her. They also saw that here face was flushed, like she was overheated. They also saw she was panting, "Um, excuse me? Are you alright?" Cadence asked, reaching out to the little girl. Upon hearing her, the girl tried to run away, but was only to get a few feet away, before she collapsed. The two of them quickly rushed to her side, "Are you hurt?" Cadence asked, trying to help the girl up, only, to her surprise, for the girl to wiggle away from them. It was clear from her actions that she did not want them touching her some reason.

"Maybe, she has really delicate skin?" Shining Armor theorized.

"Could be," Cadence pondered, as she tried a different approach, "We mean no harm to you. We only want to help," she cooed softy. This however, didn't work, as the girl tried to get away.

"P-P-Please don't touch me!" the girl squeaked out. This certainly wasn't something they were expecting, nor was the fact that her accent sounded reminiscent of Cadence's homeland of Prance.

"It's fine, sweetie. Like I said, we mean no harm," Cadence said once again, gently stroking the girl with her wing. When she did, she felt an unnatural cold on her cheek, "You're freezing cold! If you want, we could take you back home and give you a nice hot bath," she offered.

"P-p-p-please non...… I hate hot baths," the child uttered. This girl was starting to become more and more mysterious to the Crystal Couple. Normally, anyone would jump at the chance for a hot bath, so why would this girl refuse a bath?

"Well, we could at least offer you a place to stay for the time being. We can even have a nice meal made for you if you want," Cadence offered. The girl seemed to take this into account. She didn't want to impose on these nice folks, but she also wanted somewhere to sleep. With her options limited, she gave in.

"Ok, I-I will come with you," the girl said.

"Ok. By the way, my name is Cadence, and this is my husband, Shining Armor," Cadence said, introducing herself, and her husband.

"Je m'appelle Mavis Gustou," the girl said in French.

"It's very nice to meet you Mavis," Cadence said, as she offered a hand to the child. However, Mavis seemed unwillingly to take it. Thinking it would be best not to put any more undue pressure on the poor girl, Cadence knelt down to eye level with Mavis, "Mavis, I know being in a new world can be scary, but I can assure you, you are not alone," she tried to reassure. However, instead of receiving an answer, Mavis collapsed once again, breathing heavily, "Oh dear. We need to get her to the castle, now!" Cadence said, picking up Mavis in both her arms. She still felt more coldness coming from the child, but she couldn't worry about that now. Get Mavis better was at the top of her priority list. She and Shining Armor wasted no time, and making their way back to the castle, as fast as they could. They soon arrived.

"Princess Cadence and Prince Shining Armor, I take it you both had a nice evening?" the guard asked.

"We did, but that's not important right now! Go and get a guest room prepared!" Shining Armor ordered.

"At once!" the guard said, before heading into the castle.

"I'll take Mavis to the infirmary first," Cadence said, as they entered the castle. Once inside, they saw their eldest son, Nathan, walking out of the kitchen with a sandwich. He was surprised to see his parents looking so frazzled.

"Mommy? Daddy? You guys are back early," he commented.

"We found someone new that needs our help," Cadence said, motioning to the flushed Mavis in her arms.

"Looks like a fever," Nathan commented.

"This is Mavis, and for the time being, she's going to be staying with us. I wish I could talk more, but she needs immediate medical attention," Cadence said, as she made her way to the castle infirmary. Once there, she laid Mavis out on a bed, and got a digital thermometer. Pressing it against Mavis' forehead, she was puzzled when it read -12 degrees Fahrenheit, "With how she's looking overheated, why is her body temperature so low?" Cadence wondered. Deciding that it would be best to help Mavis out, she got some cold packs from the freezer, and placed them over Mavis. Within seconds, Mavis looked to cool down.

"How is she?" Cadence turned to see her husband and son standing in the doorway.

"Well, she wasn't ill. Mavis was apparently overheated," Cadence replied.

"Well, it was a lot hotter today then it normally is," Nathan commented.

"But here's the strangest part. When I took her temperature, it read as -12 degrees," Cadence replied. This certainly caught both her husband and son by surprise. Then, Nathan thought of something.

"Could be that she's more used to a colder climate," he theorized.

"Maybe, but in any case, we should take her with us when we go to visit Twilight in Ponyville. Maybe Raiden can help shed some light on the situation," Cadence said. Unbeknownst to any of the Crystal Family, Mavis was just barely awake to hear their conversation. She was terrified that there was a human with them. However, she couldn't do much of anything, as fatigue soon took over, and she fell asleep. However, she felt comfortable, as the cold packs on her were helping to lower her body temperature.