• Published 10th Aug 2012
  • 1,391 Views, 43 Comments

255: The Aegis Collection - AegisExemplar



Short stories from the Idea Farm/Writing Exercise 255s

  • ...
7
 43
 1,391

CDC: Ancillary Concerns 2

Ancile gulped nervously. She’d been on a few dates before, of course, but she wasn’t quite the same pony she was now that she was then. Bolt, for one, had settled down with Ocean Breeze’s cousin, and even had foals, a set of twins. Then there had been Lariat, but she’d decided there was something more akin to a friendship rather than a relationship. She’d had a lunch date with Club, but he had suddenly had to go.

She had been an earth pony then, too. Thanks to one of Ocean’s alchemical concoctions, she was a pegasus now, and finally felt... right. And now she was waiting, nervously, for her date tonight.

She’d met him when her brother, Aegis, had taken her to his hometown of Snaffleton. Aegis was moving Earthside, to Hawaii, and needed somepony to watch his place. It had helped that at the time Ancile’s own home had been a cozy spot between the roots of a tree. With winter coming on, however, and an empty house available, it wasn’t a difficult choice.

Gregor had stopped by Aegis’ home, and just babbled for a moment, then gathered himself. Introductions were made, and Gregor was asked to check in on Ancile every now and then. Aegis grinned like a fool the whole time.

Gregor had tracked her down to the Cross-Dimensional Cafe later, formally asking both Aegis, who had no problem with it, and Cloudhammer, Ancile’s father, for permission to date her. Cloudhammer wasn’t as convinced as Aegis, but begrudgingly allowed it, only threatening Gregor a little.

And now, it was almost time! Ancile didn’t know what they were going to do, but it was a date! A real date! She caught herself giggling and bouncing from hoof to hoof, earning the red pegasus several odd looks from the other current patrons of the Cafe.

Gregor chose that moment to stride into the Cafe, folding his brown wings to his side. “Ah, there you are! Are you ready to go, Ancile?” Gregor asked in a light Stalliongrad accent. Ancile trotted over and caught him in a hug, planting a kiss on his feathered cheek.

“You bet I’m ready! I’ve been waiting for this.” Ancile grinned at Gregor. Cloudhammer was mildly dissaproving of Ancile’s choice in coltfriends, but he cared more for his daughter’s happiness than the fact that Gregor was a griffon.

That was what background investigations were for, after all.