• Published 10th Aug 2012
  • 1,390 Views, 43 Comments

255: The Aegis Collection - AegisExemplar



Short stories from the Idea Farm/Writing Exercise 255s

  • ...
7
 43
 1,390

The Heist

Really, it had been all too easy. What ponies called 'security' Lockpick couldn't even call practice. Lookout kept watch for the next helpfully illuminated nightguard unicorn to circle around for his patrol route. Getaway and Wheels were circling invisibly overhead in the night sky, waiting for Lockpck to light his horn as the signal in the agreed-upon pattern. The ...liberated... skycarriage had been painted not black, but the deep blue of the nightsky. Anypony who called the Equestrian sky black was a fool.

The newfoals, all four of them, had been locked up in an Earthside prison before they'd been ponified. With a simple promise to 'be on their best behavior' the four had ponified and moved to the horsie homeland. None found hard, honest work to be quite to their taste, and fell back into old patterns.

That was when Lockpick had the grandest of ideas: Rob the mint. Live like kings.

Lockpick sent the signal and the two pegasi with the sky carriage landed. They had a half-hour before the guard rounded again. The Earth pony Lookout started loading the coinbags, three massive bags at a time. The skycarriage was at capacity in seven minutes. The four rose into the sky and escaped.

They had done it. Lookout and Lockpick grinned, sifting their hooves through their ill-gotten gain.

"Uh...Lockpick...?"

"Yeah?" Lockpick turned his gaze to Lookout, curiousity aroused.

"Where's the nation of Equoostria?" the sharp-eyed Earth pony asked.

Lockpick, Lookout, Getaway and Wheels had just managed to relieve the Equestrian Royal Treasury of approximately two tons of scrap metal.