• Published 10th Aug 2012
  • 1,390 Views, 43 Comments

255: The Aegis Collection - AegisExemplar



Short stories from the Idea Farm/Writing Exercise 255s

  • ...
7
 43
 1,390

Happy Hearth Swarming

“HAPPY HEARTH SWARMING!!” Niche hollered from her window on the second floor above Covert Tale’s book shop.

“Niche dearie,” old Mrs. Clouds said with a chuckle from the street below, where she was watering the weather-hardy pansies planted in a half-barrel, “It’s ‘Hearth’s Warming.’”

“Not the way changelings celebrate it!” Niche responded with a wave, dashing back inside. She returned to, and through, the window, buzzing down to the street below. “Gotcha something!”

“Oh, honey, you didn’t need to do anything for me.” Mrs. Clouds accepted the small box from Niche.

“Open it, open it!”

“I will, I will, give these old bones a moment to catch up.” Mrs. Clouds gently pulled the ribbon binding the package, which pulled the outer paper wrapping free as well, revealing four bite-sized chocolates. “Oh, how lovely.”

“Try one, they’re joy-filled!” Niche was on the tips of her hooves, practically bouncing in anticipation.

Mrs. Clouds chuckled again, then obliged Niche, taking a bite of one of the bonbons.

“Oh… oh my.”

Mrs. Clouds found herself swept back, back to Cloudsdale, a warm fire blazing in the fireplace, Hearth’s Warming dolls formed from cloudstuff floating serenely about the room. Her father smiled warmly as his mother stitched quietly in the rocking chair. The room was swathed in red and green, and the anticipation was building. There were many gifts sitting under the tree, and little Fluffy Clouds was waiting among them. Her mother entered, carrying a fresh tray of cookies. It was the traditional signal! Time to unwrap-

“Mrs. Clouds? Mrs. Cloud, are you okay?”

Mrs. Clouds wiped a tear from her eye, smiling, as she was shaken from her reverie.

“Mrs. Clouds, you’re full of joy, but… but why are you crying?” Niche asked in confusion.

“Oh Niche, honey; Changeling may eat emotions, but you poor things, you don’t really understand them. I want to thank you for your gift. It was a far more precious gift than you realize.” Mrs Clouds smiled, carefully rewrapping the three remaining chocolates; now that she knew what they would do, she wouldn’t be caught up again.

“Happy Hearth Swarming, Niche.”

“Happy Hearth’s Warming, Mrs. Clouds.”