• Published 10th Aug 2012
  • 1,390 Views, 43 Comments

255: The Aegis Collection - AegisExemplar



Short stories from the Idea Farm/Writing Exercise 255s

  • ...
7
 43
 1,390

CDC: Ancillary Concerns 3

Ancile cried into her pillow. She couldn’t stop crying, at times. Her pillow, the frilly pink one her ‘Mom’ had given her to use in the spare bedroom, was soaked. The spare was her room since she had given up on trying to live on her own without the skills she needed to do so. Morning Sun had been thrilled at having a daughter, even if not of her own flesh and blood.

Ancile and Gregor got on well, very well, in fact. They’d dated for months now, and they could see the rest of their lives with each other. And now, as Ancile saw it, they didn’t have a choice.

They had tried to be so careful, too. Their intimate moments were few and far between, thanks in part to being separated by a multi-day journey between their jobsites. Ancile worked for Forest Feather in his spa site, south of Canterlot a ways, and Gregor had taken over Aegis’ old job in Snaffleton, south of the Everfree Forest apace, as a sort of safety patroller. They were three day’s average travel apart, and so they had to make time where they could to see each other.

This last time had been far closer than either had realized, though, leading to Ancile’s current predicament.

She had gone to the doctor, her father’s old friend Doctor Silverheart, with her father Cloudhammer in tow, and he’d nearly broken down the door when he heard her crying. Doctor Silverheart had given her the news, and it wasn’t news she was prepared to hear, let alone news she’d wanted.

Ancile was pregnant.