• Published 10th Aug 2012
  • 1,390 Views, 43 Comments

255: The Aegis Collection - AegisExemplar



Short stories from the Idea Farm/Writing Exercise 255s

  • ...
7
 43
 1,390

Purist 2

The PER aligned newfoal pegasus ran for her life, dashing around a corner. High Spirits had no idea what had made the earth pony who'd broken her wing so mad. She'd been ordered to invite the grieving stallion to the PER after the death of his wife in the Bureau Attack. The pain had receeded to a dull throbbing, but her only hope might be the bureau she was so close to. She dashed across the pathetic plot of land that represented an abandoned backyard in the dull brown city alleys, only to, as she turned her head away, run flat into the earth pony. The massive stallion had no trouble knocking the lighter pegasus to the ground, pinning her with a hoof.

"P-please, wh-what have I done?"

The stallion glared at her, then took a small packet and dumped it on and around the newfoal. They were... seeds? More like pits.

"Do you even care that she was here to help you, 'newfoal'," spat the stallion. "She said 'Poor humans, they need our help, Tangle!' So we came. We...helped... but no. No, you humans couldn't have that, could you?" He put more pressure on the hoof holding her down.

"I'm a pony, one of the first converts! Not a human!"

"LIAR!" he screamed. "You wear our form but you're still the same monster inside!" The stallion closed his eyes and began doing....something. The seeds he'd scattered began to writhe, green shoots breaking free of the husk of the pit. She felt them growing, roots starting to grasp her mane, crossing over her legs. She panicked, to no avail.

"She was at your precious Bureau that day. Your fellow Man decided that our gift wasn't good enough." Tangle leaned down, breath hot and heavy in his anger, and spoke right into her ear. "Equestria is for Equestrians." He paused, wiping a tear. "She was pregnant."

High Spirits sobbed silently, her muzzle already wrapped shut by the ever-growing plant. Tangle sneered at the pegasus as her eyes rolled wildly, her last glimpse of light obscured by small pink petals before being denied light for the final time. A muffled scream was all to be heard from her again.

"May your death nourish these cherry blossoms in life as it nourishes my Cherry Blossom and Sprout in the Summerlands." Tangle turned and strode away.

The cherry tree, in full spring bloom, was gorgeous.