• Published 10th Aug 2012
  • 1,391 Views, 43 Comments

255: The Aegis Collection - AegisExemplar



Short stories from the Idea Farm/Writing Exercise 255s

  • ...
7
 43
 1,391

The Pact

“Congratulations, it’s a filly!” The doctor placed the small light pink filly in Aegis’ forelegs. It didn’t matter to him if the little filly had horns, wings, or neither; this was his little angel.

And, while it didn’t manner, of course, she had a horn.

She kept him up all night, and running all day; Her mother, Aegis’ beloved Fireball, did everything she could to keep up as well. With Aegis being deployed half the time, and Fireball out doing weather duty, the little filly mostly took care of herself once she was old enough.

Aegis taught earthcraft to his little nephew Breaker. The filly learned spellcraft from her Uncle Flare; it was a fair trade.

Aegis looked at his little daughter, but couldn’t recognize her. No matter how he squinted, no matter how he stared, her face was a blur; was she the baby foal, still in the crib? Was she a teen, out on her first date? Was it her wedding day, or was she holding Aegis’ first grandfoal?

“You never loved me!” screamed the blur that was his daughter, be she ten or twenty. “You always wanted a Colt! You always wanted an Earth pony! You only love Breaker!”

“No... No, I love you...I love you...” Aegis struggled, pleading.

“Do you even know my name, ‘Daddy’?” the firstborn daughter sneered.

Aegis opened and closed his mouth, several times. He could not answer. What good a Father who did not know his Daughter’s name?

“I’m going to go live with Daddy Flare. I know he loves me.”

* * *

Aegis awoke in a cold sweat, looking about; he was still in his room in Hawaii, laying beside his very pregnant wife. He rolled to his side, placed a hoof on her swollen stomach, and quietly whispered “I don’t care what you will be. I will always love you."

A small motion, a kick from within the bulging belly, signaled a response: “And I will love you, too, Daddy.”