• Published 25th Apr 2019
  • 1,488 Views, 46 Comments

The Prince Of Griffonstone - Marezinger Z



Griffonstone sees the arrival of the sole heir to its throne, with the young Prince seeking to restore it to its former glory.

  • ...
3
 46
 1,488

Chapter 2

Gilda and Gabby returned to the castle the next morning to catch Gwyn before he left for Canterlot. The Prince sat in the throne room, assembling and packing the extensive amount of paperwork he had prepared.

“Gwyn.” Gabby leapt and glided over to him.

“Ah, good morning.” He tipped his head as he worked. “We will be leaving shortly, may I ask that you keep an eye on things here?”

“I’ll keep things in line.” Gilda promised.

“Wonderful.” He smiled at Gabby. “Then may I ask that you keep an eye on Gilda then?”

Gabby giggled and nodded. “Sure will.” She observed the confidence in his eyes. “Aren’t you nervous about meeting with the Princesses?”

“Nervousness is for the unassured, milady.” He looped the handle of the bag over his neck. “I am confident that they will be inspired by what I have to show.”

Genevieve and Gabriel entered from the western door and stood at Gwyn’s side. “Are you ready, Prince?” Genevieve asked.

“That I am.” He nodded. “Let us be off. We will return as quickly as we can to deliver news to the city.” He assured his assistants as they flew through the broken roof.

Back in Equestria, Celestia had asked that a reception be prepared for when Gwyn arrived. The royal attendant and several members of the castle guard waited at the city gates and met with Gwyn and his entourage as they touched down before the city limits.

“Greetings, Prince Gwyn.” The well-dressed stallion hailed. “My name is Quarter Time, I serve the castle and have been asked to personally welcome you to our fair city.” He and the six guards at his sides bowed.

“Thank you.” Gwyn said graciously. “I am pleased to at last get the chance to visit.”

“If it is acceptable, I will see you to the castle.” Quarter Time gestured up to the royal home. “Princesses Celestia and Luna are eager to meet you.”

“Appreciated.” Gwyn nodded. “Please, lead the way.”

The foreign Prince and his stoic companions drew many interested looks from the citizens as they proceeded. A hushed chorus of curious whispers filled the streets as ponies began spreading word of the procession. Gwyn was too occupied to notice though as he was captivated by Canterlot’s beauty, his mind anxious to see his own home in such a state. Passing into the castle, he was further enchanted by the regal yet tasteful décor. Quarter Time escorted them directly to the meeting hall where the sisters awaited.

“My Princesses.” Quarter Time bowed. “I am pleased to present Prince Gwyn of Griffonstone.”

Gwyn’s eyes lit up when he beheld Celestia. “Princess Celestia, Princess Luna, it is an honor to finally meet you both.”

“Likewise, Prince Gwyn.” As Celestia went to him he accepted her hoof and brought it to his beak. “Oh.” She flustered a bit at the unexpected move.

“Please milady, you above all others have no need to address me by title. Do call me Gwyn.”

“Certainly.” Celestia nodded.

Gwyn gestured back to his attendants. “This is Genevieve and Gabriel.”

“Princesses.” Genevieve lowered her head.

“A pleasure, your majesties.” Gabriel did the same.

“It is lovely to meet you both.” Celestia motioned towards the table. “Please, if you would.” She and Luna took spots on one side of the long table while the griffons sat opposite them. “I must admit, I was quite surprised at your letter.” Celestia set her eyes on Gwyn. “I mean no disrespect, but the royal line of griffons was long thought to have been lost.”

“It is not wrong to say that.” Gwyn said wistfully. “I am sure you are well versed in the lore of my home?”

“We are.” Luna nodded. “But tales end with the abdication of Guto.”

“As far as Griffonstone was concerned, I imagine they would. My ancestor was seen as a failure for allowing the Idol of Boreas to be lost. Despite his brave fight against Arimaspi and the injuries he sustained, the griffons still ousted him and he and his family were forced to flee their home.” He sighed as he recalled the story that was passed to him. “They fled down the mountain range until coming across a small village of griffons that had long ago settled away from the city. They were given asylum, but Guto did not linger in the world for much longer; no amount of treatment could undo the damage he sustained and he had already lost the will to continue… he died soon after.”

“How horrible.” Celestia said as she listened.

“He was survived by his wife; along with his son, daughter in law and his two grandchildren.” Gwyn continued. “They remained in the village, the family line carrying on through those meek but kind griffons that took them in. As time went on and stories of Griffonstone’s decline began to spread, my great uncle took it upon himself to begin amassing the resources necessary for our family to one day be returned to providence. His means were… questionable, he raided Griffonstone castle and slowly began to move my family’s wealth and hoard to the village. More time passed and I was born, but… there were complications and my mother fell ill shortly after my birth; she did not survive.” His eyes saddened. “I lost my father as well, when I was only a few years old.”

The tragic news struck the sisters hard. “I am sorry.” Celestia offered with a heavy heart.

“Thank you, Princess.” He smiled as he looked to his attendants. “Fortunately, I had Genevieve and Gabriel to care for me and teach me all that I would come to know. Though they strictly hold to the idea that they are merely here to serve me, they have been and will always be my family.”

“Prince.” Genevieve smiled softly.

“Your tale is without question a sorrowful one.” Celestia began. “Even so, you must forgive me for asking if you have any way to validate it.”

“Indeed.” Luna continued. “You would not be the first to appear and claim royal heritage.”

Gwyn nodded. “I understand that.” He opened his travel pack and pulled from it an old, oak carving that had an ornate crest burned into its side and a rubber bottom. “I mean no disrespect of my own Princess, but you are old enough to remember King Grover are you not?”

“Yes.” Celestia confirmed. I was certainly a deal younger, but I was fortunate enough to meet with him when Griffonstone was officially recognized as the griffon capitol.”

“Yes, the day when Griffonstone’s first charter was signed.” He laid the object before her. “And sealed with this.”

Luna watched as Celestia took the item with a silent gasp. “What is it sister?”

“Grover’s royal seal.” She displayed it to her. “To think such a piece of antiquity would still exist.”

“The story of Griffonstone is not yet complete.” Gwyn said surely. “I have returned to the home I never knew and intend to revitalize it, which is why we are here.”

Celestia nodded in acceptance. “What exactly is it that you seek?”

“I have drawn many concepts for my vision of Griffonstone. I have blueprints for improved housing that will better fare against the elements of the mountains, a choice section of the mountainside on which to construct an open air marketplace to increase commercial revenue and trade, a map of new roads that will give greater access to the area so that any creature can reach the city with ease, and even designs for a transportation airship that can act as a sky ferry from Griffonstone to Equestria.” He laid his traveling bag on the table. “To see this through, I ask that Equestria join this unprecedented renovation as a full partner. This will take materials and labor that Griffonstone simply cannot supply on its own; I have drafted over a dozen scrolls worth of treaties, agreements, requisitions and other formalities for the two of you to review.” He slid the bag across the table.

“It seems you have thought of everything.” Luna said, quite impressed.

“It is my duty to think of everything, Princess. This is the fate of my kind that I am laying on the line and a failure on my end means a failure for all griffons.” He said solemnly. “Of course, I do not expect an answer right away. I hope that you would look over all that I have provided and make your decision based on what you see. I will sit here for as long as you wish in order to respond to any of your questions or concerns.

Celestia took his bag. “Your dedication to this is quite apparent, we will certainly look over everything thoroughly.” She smiled over at her sister. “Luna, would you have the guards fetch us some tea for our guests, I anticipate we will be here for a while.’

“Of course.” Luna rose and left to see to the matter.

For nearly four hours the Princesses went over the materials with Gwyn and every question they had was met with an insightful and knowledgeable response. Upon full review, they deemed the project worthwhile and agreed to lend him Equestria’s help. Gwyn proudly signed the treaties with them and used Grover’s seal itself to mark the scrolls. As the meeting concluded he shook their hooves and they moved from the room for some fresh air and a long stretch.

“Princesses, you have my unending gratitude.” Gwyn lowered himself to them.

“Yours is a remarkable and talented mind, Gwyn.” Celestia complimented. “We are happy to be a part of this moment in Griffonstone’s history.” She checked the window and noticed the hour. “We have been occupied for some time, we would be honored you would stay for lunch.”

Gwyn perked up at the idea of dining with her. “That would be a pleasure, Princess.” He checked with Genevieve and Gabriel. “Will you be joining us?”

“We are alright, Prince.” Genevieve smiled. “Please, enjoy yourself. We will await your return.”

“Oh, well if you need anything please just ask the guards.” Celestia offered.

“Thank you, Princess.” She bowed.

Celestia, Luna and Gwyn traveled to the dining hall with the Princesses calling for a suitable meal to be prepared. Gwyn took the opportunity to sit at Celestia’s side and at this point, Luna began to see what was going on.

“Sister.” Luna called her attention. “If you’ll excuse me a moment, I’ll see to the kitchen staff.”

Celestia saw a light smirk on her face as she left them alone. “Well.” She coughed lightly as she looked back to Gwyn. “Now that everything is settled, when would you like the work to begin?”

“Immediately if possible.” Gwyn answered. “If you would order and send the initial teams to begin the basics, I will see them paid in full on site to get the work underway.”

“That will be no problem.” She assured. “It will take about two days for them to organize and reach Griffonstone.”

“That would be perfect, Princess. In the meantime I can let the city know the good news and do all the prep work.” He smiled at her warmly. “It is hard to contain my excitement in all this, thank you.” His piercing, bright eyes shone up at her. “You know, in lieu of all the significance behind this vital trip, I have been very much looking forward to meeting you. Travelers have relayed all manner of tales about you, yet they hardly do you justice.”

“Well… that’s very kind of you.” She said appreciatively. “Stories tend to be a bit exaggerative though; I am not fond of letting such things go to my head.”

“Humility as well as wisdom, Equestria is truly blessed to be led by a creature as lovely as you.”

“Thank you, Gwyn.” Not entirely certain how to respond to his obvious flirting, she felt a bit of relief when Luna returned with the servers. “Ah. The food has arrived.”

Luna sat across from them as their plates were set. “I know this is not griffon cuisine, but we hope you enjoy.”

“Given that the closest thing to ‘griffon cuisine’ at the moment is Gilda’s scones, this will no doubt be wonderful.” He laughed.

The three of them spoke of far more trivial things as they shared lunch; Gwyn gladly hanging off of Celestia’s every word and peppering her with praise and compliment. After finishing the meal, they returned to the foyer and found Genevieve and Gabriel standing near the front door of the castle with several of the guards.

“What is going on?” Luna asked.

“Forgive us your highness.” One of the guards bowed to them. “It seems word travels fast and there is a crowd loitering in the courtyard in hopes of seeing your guests.

“To think that we would be famous.” Genevieve laughed.

“I’m sorry about this.” Celestia apologized. “I will see that the crowd is dispersed.”

“No need.” Gwyn stopped her. “There is no harm in introducing ourselves. What sense would it make for me, who wishes to bring our kinds closer together, to shy away from those who would wish to meet us?” Gwyn stepped past the guards and headed out into the courtyard with Genevieve and Gabriel behind him. The gathered ponies chattered to one another in interest at the griffons. “Ponies of Canterlot.” Gwyn held his talon to his chest and bowed. “My name is Gwyn, Prince of Griffonstone.” The mention of his title increased their curious mumblings. “I am happy to see that so many are curious about our presence here and I will be glad to explain. We have come today to put in motion the reconstruction and revival of Griffonstone, not only for we griffons but for all creatures. It is my hope that one day you can all visit our home as I have yours and share in what we have to offer the world.” He turned back to the royal sisters. “And while my lofty goals are for the sake of so many, there is one more that I admit is a bit selfish.” He gestured to Celestia.
“Princess, having finally found the fortune to meet you, you are so much more then even my imagination could dare dream. I can say without empty flattery that your poise, elegance and beauty are without compare.” He smiled brightly. “So I would like to take this chance, with your citizens here as witness, to formally announce my intent to seek your hoof in marriage.”

“W…what?” Celestia’s eyes widened to their fullest as the crowd gasped and began talking excitedly.

“Princess.” Gwyn looked to her with enamored eyes. “Believe me, I know this must seem sudden and even ludicrous to you; but I have no aspirations for this to be so simply accepted. I am resolved to do my best to display my commitment and worth to you as a suitor.” He took to the air and Genevieve and Gabriel followed suit. “After things are truly underway in Griffostone, you have my word that I will return. I greatly look forward to seeing you again, Princess.” As the three griffons flew off the gathered mass began excitedly discussing the news, as a few ponies tried to approach Celestia about the matter the guards immediately blocked them and allowed the sisters back inside.

“Well, that was most unexpected.” Luna admitted. “I could tell that he was smitten with you but he’s certainly skipped a few steps. Sister?” She looked up to see her all but frozen in shock. “Sister.” She laid her hoof to her shoulder.

“Did that truly just happen?” Celestia asked.

“It did, sister.” Luna confirmed.

“Oh my.” She sighed and put her face in her hoof. “And in front of so many ponies, this is going to spread all over the city.” They started back for the throne room.

“We have both survived a trip through the gossip mill before, this is no different.” Luna said confidently.

“This is vastly different.” Celestia refuted. “He wishes to propose to me.”

“Well, we cannot deny his seriousness about bringing ponies and griffons closer together.”

“Why are you so casual about this?” Celestia asked in a huff. “We just engaged in a massive, international deal and then he complicated it greatly by making such a declaration.”

“Don’t you think you are overreacting just a little?” Luna asked in return. “We can deal with Griffonstone as the rulers of Equestria and you can meet with Gwyn purely as Celestia.”

“You make it sound much easier than it is.”

“All I’m saying is why not give him a chance?” Luna asked.

Celestia looked at her in surprise. “Are you serious?”

“I am.” She nodded. “He exudes many admirable qualities and to be honest, he is quite handsome.”

“I won’t deny that he is charming, but still.” Celestia struggled with the idea. “Besides, don’t you think he is a bit young for me?”

“Sister, you are over a thousand years old, every creature is a bit young for you.” Luna eyed her, having had this same conversation with her before. “If you keep clinging to that excuse then eventually the only eligible bachelor left will be Discord.”

“Hush!” Celestia furrowed her brow at her. “Don’t even joke about that out loud, he might hear you.” She quickly checked around the hall as they passed into the throne room. “My concern in this is that it mixes professional and personal affairs. Now that the two are tied together, things may be jeopardized if I don’t handle this delicately. I don’t want to risk creating ill will between Equestria and Griffonstone.”

“Why are you always so hesitant when approached like this?”

“I am not.” Celestia protested.

“Then when was the last time you’ve even allowed yourself a simple date?” Luna asked with raised brow. “I understand that we Princesses but we are also mares, like any other. Would it truly kill you to spend some time with him and see what happens?”

“Alright.” Celestia raised her hoof to Luna in surrender. “I… will approach this openly.”

Luna sighed. “I am not trying to hound you into doing something you do not wish to, I am only concerned that you feel you are not allowed to have a normal life.”

“I know.” Celestia nodded. “I understand and I do appreciate it, Luna.” She hugged her. “Thank you.”

“Of course, sister.” Luna patted her back. “I am going to rest before the night, I will see you in a few hours.”

“Okay.” Celestia took a long, thoughtful breath as Luna headed to her chamber. Deciding not to stress herself over what hasn’t happened yet, she focused on her remaining duties for the day.