• Published 25th Apr 2019
  • 1,488 Views, 46 Comments

The Prince Of Griffonstone - Marezinger Z



Griffonstone sees the arrival of the sole heir to its throne, with the young Prince seeking to restore it to its former glory.

  • ...
3
 46
 1,488

Chapter 7

Out of necessity and want, Gwyn decided to finally return to Canterlot the coming morning. Opting to go alone, he left his friends in charge and took flight for the Equestrian capitol. Despite having some reconciliation with Celestia, he was nervous to see to her; nervousness not being something he was accustomed to in any way. Deciding to avoid the spotlight, he traveled directly to the castle and met with the guards in the courtyard. They gladly saw him in and directed him to the rear gardens where the Princess was currently relaxing. Gwyn found her seated on a patio, drinking tea while surrounded by fragrant spring flowers. She took notice of his slow approach and smiled in surprise.

“Gwyn.”

“Hello, Princess.” He tipped his head.

“How unexpected, how are you?” She used her magic to move the chair opposite her. “Please, sit.”

“Thank you.” Gwyn sat across from her. “I am doing well.” He nodded with a light sigh. “Things have been… different in many ways, but better in many more.”

“I am glad to hear that.” She smiled. “I have not heard from you since we last spoke, I was beginning to grow worried.”

“Forgive me for the lack of communication.” He apologized. “I should certainly have kept up word with you, if only to keep you updated on progress if nothing else.”

“How are things going in Griffonstone?” She asked.

“The housing and interior roadwork is complete.” Gwyn proudly informed. “We have begun work on the planned commercial expansion, which came with the shocking discovery of a long lived stag viper.”

“Was any creature hurt?”

“No, Princess.” Gwyn shook his head. “Gabriel dispatched it and the beast was converted into a feast.” He laughed. “How have you been? Have things quieted down?”

“For the most part.” Celestia bobbed her head in thought. “As Luna said, it was a trip through the rumor mill. Although the papers still try to grab headlines.” She moved her copy of the day’s paper over to him. “Still, it has been relegated to page 3 now.”

Gwyn took up the paper and opened it, finding an article about the Princess. “Alifornication?” He laid his claw to his face with a deep laugh.

“That is one of my favorites so far.” She giggled.

“I am so sorry I put you through this, Princess.” He folded the paper. “I was truly blind to many things that should have been blatantly obvious.”

“It was not all bad.” She shrugged. “I do love my hoof massager.” They shared a laugh and Celestia looked him over with a small smile. “You have certainly changed.” She noted. “I can tell just by sitting here talking to you. You seem so much more at ease.”

“I am.” He agreed. “I have learned a great deal just from having others close to me; keeping my thoughts in the here and now above all else. I find myself enjoying things so much more now that I experience them for what they are, precious moments in time rather than steps on an infinite flight of stairs leading to some end that exists only in my head.”

“I very much like this new you.” Celestia admitted.

“As do I, Princess.” Their eyes held on one another’s for a long moment. “I did have a question though.” He shyly looked away.

“Of course.”

“I am focusing on constructing our first eatery, but I am not content to see it solely service griffons.” He relayed as he folded his claws on the table. “I want the crew there to be experienced in providing cuisine for every creature, our pony compatriots first and foremost. I also came here today to secure what we need to outfit and furnish the restaurant as well as sample from Canterlot’s local fare to put together a diverse menu.”

“What a splendid idea, Gwyn.” Celestia praised.

“Given our last outing, I wouldn’t presume to ask you to accompany me this time.” Gwyn chuckled. “I had hoped you could point me in the right direction.”

Celestia summoned a scroll and quill. “Allow me to contact Twilight, I know just the two ponies to ask.” She fashioned a note and sent it away to Spike.

“I appreciate this, Princess.” He watched the scroll evaporate into the ether.

The royal pair carried on their miniature reunion while they waited. Gwyn and Celestia spoke candidly with one another; swapping stories of current events and joking about the responsibilities they bore. Almost two hours later, Twilight’s voice brought their talk to an end as she approached with Pinkie Pie and Rarity.

“Princess Celestia.” Twilight waved as they neared.

“Ah, Twilight.” Celestia went to Twilight and hugged her dearest student. “Pinkie Pie, Rarity, thank you coming.”

“If there’s food involved, you can always count me in.” Pinkie proclaimed.

“Of course, we are always happy to assist in royal matters.” Rarity added with far more decorum than her friend.

Gwyn joined them and bowed lightly. “Princess Twilight, it is nice to finally meet you.”

“Prince Gwyn.” She returned the gesture.

“The Princess told me you were rather suspect of me, given my proposal.” He smiled.

“What? Twilight laughed and waved off the idea. “No… I mean… maybe a little but…” She looked up at Celestia who was holding in her laughter.

“It is alright.” Gwyn assured. “Much has happened to me before we even had a chance to meet. I look forward to getting to know the famous Princess of Friendship.” He gestured to the pair behind her. “And who are these fine ladies?”

“I’m Pinkie Pie.” Pinkie hopped forward and curtseyed. “It’s always nice to make a new friend, especially a royal one. Here.” She held out a single cupcake, it had brown frosting with little plastic wings and a toy crown on top. “A cupcake fit for a griffon Prince.” She grinned.

“One of the reasons we’re running a bit late.” Twilight pointed out.

“My, how wondrous.” Gwyn took the confection. “Thank you, milady. I am honored you would go through the trouble.” He tasted the sweet, finding it much to his liking.

“Prince Gwyn.” Rarity stepped forward. “My name is Rarity, I own and operate several renowned boutiques. It’s a pleasure to meet you.” She bowed.

“Likewise, Ms. Rarity.” Gwyn took her hoof and kissed it, eliciting a thrilled giggle from the mare. “Thank you both for coming to assist me in my efforts.”

“Not at all, Prince. Pinkie and I have experience on the restaurant scene.” Rarity noted.

“Well then, shall we commence our food tour?” He asked.

“That… is the best sentence I’ve heard all week.” Pinkie said, saucer eyed with anticipation.

“Princess.” Gwyn turned back to Celestia. “It was wonderful to see you again.”

“I feel the same.” Celestia agreed with a tender smile. “I do hope your next visit will be sooner rather than later.”

“It most certainly will.” He promised. “Till then, if you would allow me the chance to give you a simpler gift.” He brought his wing around, flinching a bit as he pulled the broadest feather from its span. “It is an old custom in Cliff Haven, for one who wishes to properly relay his affection, to give his grandest feather to another.” He set the feather in her mane, just behind her ear. “So that even when apart, he can be with her.”

“Oh my.” Rarity held in her squeal at the romantic gesture.

Celestia held her hoof to the beautifully colored feather. “Thank you, Gwyn. Of all the gifts you have given, this is truly the sweetest.” She used her magic to pull her own feather out and offer it to him in return; Gwyn nestled it just over his right shoulder so that it hugged his back.

“Thank you, Princess.” He looked back at the angelically white feather. “Till we next meet.” With a lingering smile he allowed Pinkie and Rarity to lead the way.

“He’s a lot different from what I was led to believe.” Twilight noted, having only been privy to the aftermath of his encounters with the Princess and his mentions in the news media.

“Because that was the real Gwyn.” Celestia said knowingly as she watched them off.


The city took notice of Gwyn as he walked the streets of Canterlot with the well-known fashionista and popular party pony. Making their way to the famous restaurant row, their culinary expedition began with the revamped Chez Neigh. The Prince still being a recognizable celebrity, the trio were quickly seated.

“You couldn’t have picked a better time for this, Prince.” Rarity tapped the menu. “Restaurant row has seen a revolution since the owners and chefs have begun exploring their own tastes instead of trying to cater to critics.”

“That’s a fancy way of saying the food isn’t terrible anymore.” Pinkie simplified.

“Variety is the spice of life, as they say.” Gwyn laughed. “And please, call me Gwyn.”

“Oh, alright then… Gwyn.” Rarity laughed lightly, enjoying the idea of being so casual with royalty. “So, what exactly are you looking to learn from this?”

“I want to impart the ability to prepare meals from a variety of cultures to our own would-be chefs.” He explained. “From these meals, I hope to gain a firmer grasp on popular elements and ingredients for pony cuisine. I have little doubt that such knowledge will also serve to enhance our own local recipes.”

“How worldly.” Rarity applauded.

“Then we should definitely get the Canterlot Tour.” Pinkie recommended. “It has a little bit of everything.”

“A fine idea.” Gwyn nodded and pat his stomach. “I do hope Genevieve will forgive the weight I am going to put on this day.”

The three proceeded to spend the early afternoon visiting five different eateries, sampling the best each had to offer. Gwyn’s agile mind slowly began to reverse engineer the dishes, identifying key ingredients that all five destinations utilized in their best fare. Rarity detailed everything that was currently trending in popular culinary culture and Pinkie Pie provided him with more information on desserts than he could handle. With their stomachs on the verge of bursting, they took him to one final location; the Tasty Treat operated by Saffron on her father. Gwyn was immediately taken by the lush colors of the décor and the amazing smell of foreign spices and herbs.

“Hello, welcome to…” Saffron smiled brightly at the sight of her two friends. “Pinkie, Rarity.” She hurried over and hugged them.

“Saffron, so good to see you, darling.” Rarity kissed her cheek.

“How’s business?” Pinkie asked. “Still knocking it out the park?”

“Oh yes, things have been very busy lately.” She took notice of their griffon companion, immediately recognizing him from the paper. “Pr… Prince Gwyn.” She quickly bowed.

“Please, milady.” Gwyn bid her to stand. “I am merely another customer seeking to dine at your fine establishment.”

“Ah, right this way.” Saffron led them to a quiet booth near the back; she provided menus and excused herself to get them some glasses of water.

“This place is quite different from any of the others.” Gwyn noted.

“Saffron and her father came to Canterlot with the express purpose of introducing their native foods to the local palates.” Rarity detailed.

“I hope you like spicy.” Pinkie grinned. “Because you have to try the sweet potato vindaloo.”

Saffron soon returned and Gwyn allowed Pinkie to order for the table. He was enthralled with the unique flavors of the dishes, in spite of having some difficulty with the heat factor. A few plates and a dozen glasses of water later, Gwyn had reached his limit.

“Oh my.” He let out a long, full breath. “That was delicious.”

“You took that spice like a champ, Gwyn!” Pinkie proudly patted his back.

“Ugh… I do believe I’ve added a dress size today.” Rarity sighed. “I think that’s enough indulgence for a lifetime.”

“Are you kidding!?” Pinkie eagerly eyed them both. “We should do this once a week.”

“You are a marvel of your kind, milady.” Gwyn laughed, stopping as his stomach rumbled in protest.

Saffron returned to the table. “So, how was everything?” She asked, eagerly waiting to hear the Prince’s verdict.

“Your food is as exotic and lovely as you are, Ms. Masala.” He complimented.

“Oh… thank you.” Saffron graciously bowed with a light blush. “Father will be happy to hear that our menu pleases even a griffon, much less royalty.”

Gwyn, Pinkie and Rarity returned to the streets; the Prince asking where the best place to order equipment for the planned restaurant could be found. Pinkie took him to the outlet supplier where Mr. and Mrs. Cake purchased necessities for Sugar Cube Corner. Not wanting to skimp, Gwyn proceeded to place a massive order to ensure that Griffonstone’s first restaurant would be top of the line. With his objectives for the day reached, Gwyn looked out into the sky as he readied to leave.

“While I gave up unnecessary planning, I do wish I had kept the flight home in mind before eating all of that food.” He chuckled as he turned to his guides. “Ms. Pinkie, Ms. Rarity, you have my sincerest thanks for aiding me in this endeavor.”

“Anytime.” Pinkie beamed. “Hanging out with you is delicious.”

“We were happy to help, Gwyn.” Rarity smiled. “It was wonderful to meet you and I do hope we will meet again.”

“I will make sure of it, milady.” Gwyn kissed their hooves. “Till then.” He secured the feather that Celestia had given him and took to the air; coasting upwards into the clouds and fading from sight.


It was well past dark by the time Gwyn made it back to Griffonstone. Full and exhausted, he went in search of Genevieve and Gabriel to let them know of his safe return. Nearing the square, he detected the sound of singing and quickened his step. Gwyn discovered a host of the ponies and griffons sitting about the fire, singing a song he was unfamiliar with. Many others simply sat and listened to the chanty like tune while they ate their evening's meal.

"Prince." Gabriel's voice came from behind him.

"Gabriel?" He turned back. "What is this?"

"This is apparently an old work song, sung by many ponies in the construction industry." Gabriel began. "As it turns out, the same song made its way to Griffonstone generations ago and it is still known to this day."

"How amazing." Gwyn smiled as he returned his eyes to the scene. "To think that such a link between us existed right under our noses."

"Was your trip a success, Prince?" He asked.

"It was indeed." Gwyn nodded. "I was able to secure knowledge, materials… and a few new friends."

"Gwyn." Gilda approached with Gabby at her side.

"Given the atmosphere, I assume things went well today?" Gwyn asked.

"Ah, this is just what we do when you're not here." Gilda snorted.

Gwyn laughed and nodded understandingly. "When the Prince is away, I suppose."

"Actually, we're breaking schedule predictions." Gabby informed. "Fixit says the eastern site will be ready for development by the end of the week."

"Wonderful." Gwyn smiled at the news.

"Oh." Gabby held up a plate of food. "Here, we made sure to save you some."

Gwyn's stomach churned at the smell of more food. "Oh, thank you Gabby." He held his talon up. "But I do believe I am good on that front... perhaps for the next day or so."

Gabby happily ate the meal in his place as the four of them sat quietly and listened to the beautiful harmony.