• Published 25th Apr 2019
  • 1,488 Views, 46 Comments

The Prince Of Griffonstone - Marezinger Z



Griffonstone sees the arrival of the sole heir to its throne, with the young Prince seeking to restore it to its former glory.

  • ...
3
 46
 1,488

Chapter 6

As the day waned on the Prince and Princess’ long talk, they walked back down into Griffonstone while the day’s work began to come to a close.

“This was nice, Gwyn.” Celestia watched the workers pack up.

“It was indeed.” He agreed.

“I should be heading back though.” She noted as they stopped near the city square. “I must lower the sun soon.”

“Of course.” He stepped around in front of her and lowered his head. “Thank you, Princess; for being willing to forgive this foolish bird.”

“It is in the past now.” She raised his head with her hoof. “I only wish to look forward to the future.”

“When next I am free, would you care to get together again?” He asked. “We could do whatever you like, preparation free.” He laughed.

“That sounds delightful.” Celestia giggled. “Till then.” She spread her wings and lifted off, soaring out over the city and down the mountain.

“Prince?” Genevieve’s voice called to him.

“Ah, Genevieive.” He sat. “You’ve returned.”

“I returned some time ago.” She sat beside him. “I imagined that the Princess would come here after we spoke. I hope you are not upset that I was so forthright with her about you, my Prince.”

“No.” He shook his head. “If anything, I owe you an apology. You were right from the start and yet I was not wise enough to listen.”

“Wisdom has no place in the world of emotion, Prince.” She stated. “There were no words we could offer you that would deter your heart. All we could do was allow things to play out; even so, I am still sorry things did not work out as you had hoped.”

“It is alright.” He smiled. “Things are… different, but I cannot say I am unhappy. The fact that she was willing to speak to me at all after the breakdown I had in front of her is a miracle in my eyes. She truly is a wonderful creature; and I am happy to have her friendship.”

“I am glad to hear that, Prince.” She stood. “The food preparation is underway and Gilda and Gabby have been worried about you, perhaps we should gather and eat.”

“Yes.” He concurred. “I certainly owe them an explanation.”

They made themselves some plates and found the others gathered over a meal by the side of a warm fire. Gwyn sat beside Gilda who looked him over with a raised brow.

“You okay, Prince?” She asked.

“Yes, I am.” He assured. “I am sorry if I caused you concern.”

“We saw you up there with the Princess, is everything alright?” Gabby queried.

“Well, I lost a wife but gained a friend.” He summarized. “All in all though, it was a welcome trade.”

“Ah, you’re better off, kid.” Grandpa Gruff said through a hard cough.

“Grandpa Gruff.” Gabby glared at him.

“He is not wrong, Gabby.” Gwyn noted. “I feel… different now.”

“How so?” Gilda asked.

“It is hard to describe.” He admitted. “For the first time in my life I am without a plan for something. That should worry me, but in a way I feel… free.” He laughed. “That sounds absurdly backwards, does it not?”

“You were a slave to your own machinations, Prince.” Gabriel spoke up. “You attempted to blueprint your own existence which forced you to live by your own design. With the design gone, you are now free to live in the present with the rest of us.”

“My.” Genevieve smiled at him. “I am not used to you being the profound one.”

“Well.” Gilda shrugged. “Sorry it didn’t work out, but it’s good to have you back.”

“I think you’re glad it didn’t work out.” Gabby grinned.

“Shut it!” Gilda threw a roll at her.

“Knock it off, ya little brats.” Grandpa Gruff scolded.

Gwyn chuckled as he watched them squabble. “Now this feels normal.”


The following dawn, Gwyn went to speak with Fixit for an update on the city’s progress. The lead foreman was giving out instruction, halting as Gwyn approached.

“Morning, Prince.” He lowered his head.

“Good Morning, Fixit. Forgive my absence yesterday, I was… occupied.”

“No trouble at all.” Fixit assured.

“What is our current status?”

“Well.” Fixit looked down the street. “We should have the housing situation settled by the end of the month. I’ve got a team back on the far end of the city, they are starting on the roads to give us a head start.”

“Excellent.” Gwyn nodded. “How are the workers faring?”

“We’ve had a few injuries.” He admitted. “Nothing major, morale is still high though and now that we’ve got pattern the houses are going up quick.”

“Wonderful, I will be here fully now so let us continue undaunted.” Gwyn flew back to the others to reorient himself back into the work load.

Time flew as the end of the month came and went; a day of celebration was taken to rejoice the official completion of the housing project but work was far from done. Another week and a half saw to the completion of the roads within the city limits which meant that it was time to consider the larger projects. During the weeks of activity and labor, Gwyn focused his body on the work but his mind used the time to reassess not only himself but life in general. With his eyes looking at what was in the moment and not in the moments yet to come, he began to see the world in a completely different way. He no longer saw the griffons and ponies working alongside one another as a step in a long process, but as a beautiful assimilation of cultures that had not long ago stood on opposite sides of an impossibly high wall. They sweated together, ate together, laughed together and slept together under the same moon. He also began to open to the nuances of those around him; indulging in Gabby’s childish purity, Gilda’s brutal honesty, Grandpa Gruff’s judgmental but insightful wisdom, Gabriel’s cold impartiality and Genevieve’s broad philosophy to explore new parts of himself. A warm night found him going over notes as he decided where the work should next be focused.

“There you are.” Grandpa Gruff huffed as he waddled over. “Fixit has been asking for you, kid. Wants the details for tomorrow.” He sat beside him.

“Very well, I will go to him shortly.” Gwyn took up a drawing. “I believe I know what we shall do next. I will have them focus on clearing the unkempt east edge of Griffonstone’s plateau. There we shall build the foundations for our city's new commercial hub, first and foremost will Griffonstone’s first restaurant. It will be a deal of work, new wells will have to be dug and I will have to secure all the necessary elements and appliances… but it will allow us to begin feeding ourselves instead of relying solely on the pony catering crews.”

“Good idea, I’m getting sick of pony food anyway.” Grandpa Gruff patted his stomach. “We could do with some fish.”

“That does sound rather good right now.” Gwyn laughed. “I also came up with this, if you would look it over.” He passed Grandpa Gruff the drawing.

“Eh.” Grandpa Gruff took it and zeroed in his eye on the image of a grand, marble bath filled with griffons. An elegant fountain served as the centerpiece and the rim was decorated with all types of flora. “What is this supposed to be?” He asked.

“I realized lately that I have been designing a city based solely on function and necessity… but not much heart.” Gwyn admitted. “The griffons don’t just need a city, they need a community; with elements that bring us closer together. I got the idea for this while talking with Gabby, it’s a communal bath.” He pointed to the fountain. “The fountain at the center serves not only as a work of art but as a filtration system. This is a place for friends and family to come together and relax.” He looked to the old griffon. “What do you think?”

Grandpa Gruff shook his head and returned the drawing. “You can count me out, but that looks like something the rest would get a kick out of.”

Gwyn nodded with an understanding chuckle. “Fair enough.” He stood. “One of these days I will dream up something that will suit your fancy.”

“Don’t hurt yourself, kid.” Grandpa Gruff retorted with a light smile as Gwyn flew back towards the center of the city.

Come daylight, Fixit and the main body of the workforce headed beyond the eastern wall towards the undeveloped span of mountain where Gwyn wished to expand.

“We’ll have to knock down the wall and begin laying road out this way.” Fixit looked around as they walked. "The unicorns can start with the demo and removal of the natural debris; and we’ll need a survey to see how much grading we need to do to make the site level.” The middle of the planned area was filled with boulders and overgrowth, Fixit whistled as he imagined the work ahead of them. As they idled, a deep and lengthy hiss echoed around them; startled by the noise the crew began to look about nervously.

“What was that?” One of the crew asked to anypony that could answer.

“I… don’t know.” Fixit admitted. “Move out of the area.” He instructed.

As they attempted to fall back, a long and scaled form blocked their exit. The head of a giant snake, adorned with sharpened antlers and a black mane rose from the rocks. The gathered workers screamed, the sound carrying along the mountainside and back into Griffonstone where the keen ears of the avian species picked it up.

Gilda stopped dead in her tracks. “You hear that, Gwyn?”

“Yes.” He nodded. “Something is wrong. Let us go.” With the others beside him, Gwyn flew from the city and sped eastward. They soon spied the trapped ponies below, the unicorns firing ineffective blasts of magic trying to keep the massive serpent at bay.

“Holy bits.” Grandpa Gruff’s eye widened. “A stag viper.”

“A what!?” Gabby asked.

“Haven’t seen one of them in decades.” The old griffon pointed down at the creature. “It’s poisonous, if it even scratches one of them with its fangs it’s over.”

“Gabriel.” Gwyn glanced over at him.

“Yes, Prince.” Gabriel tore his cloak off and rapidly descended on the beast, he flew under its jaw and opened a massive wound on its neck with his talon. It lashed out in pain, attempting to spear the griffon with its antlers. Gabriel effortlessly maneuvered through the branching protrusions and dragged his claws down the length of its body, shredding the scales to ribbons. Catching its tail, he flew back towards the sky and upended the reptile, exposing the soft belly. With a final dive he plunged his nails into the main artery, opening a fatal wound and ending the threat. He leapt from the twitching serpent and landed before the ponies; with a quick swipe of his talons the blood flew from them, leaving them clean.

“Well done, Gabriel.” Gwyn praised as they landed at his side, he returned the cloak and Gabriel immediately put it back on.

“A simple matter, Prince.” He adjusted the neckline.

“Whoa.” Gilda eyed him in wonder. “Gabriel’s a complete beast.”

“Did you think we kept him around because of his winning personality?” Genevieve jested. “Gabriel is perhaps one of the most formidable griffons alive.”

Gwyn hurried to Fixit and the pony workers. “Are you okay, is any creature injured?”

“No, Prince.” He looked over at the fallen monster. “You got here just in time.”

“I am sorry, we should have scouted the area first.” He apologized. “I had no idea such a creature could be living here.”

“Well, we’re alive so no harm done” Fixit laughed. “Definitely got the blood pumping.”

“What do we do with it?” Gabby slowly approached the still snake, kicking it lightly.

“I say we make it dinner.” Grandpa Gruff suggested. “That’s a lot of stew you’re looking at, girl.”

“A fine idea.” Gwyn nodded. “Call the griffons from the city to retrieve it, it will serve as a fine treat for them.” He turned back to Fixit. “You are of course welcome to enjoy it as well.”

“Eh, thank you Prince.” Fixit smiled politely. “Not really part of the pony diet though.”

“Oh, I suppose not.” Gwyn chuckled.


Fixit and his crew spent the day prepping the area for development and Gwyn had griffons patrol the area to ensure no more surprises lay in wait. In the meantime, Grandpa Gruff instructed a team of griffons on the descaling, cleaning and preparation of the giant snake’s meat; imparting to them an old stew recipe from the bygone days of his youth. As day turned to night, the smell of it began to fill the city and upon the workday’s conclusion the griffons were eager to feast on the rare delicacy. Gwyn ensured the Gabriel, having slain the beast, was given the first dish. While the city enjoyed dinner, Gilda went to Gabriel and sat by his side.

“Hey, uh… I was wondering.” She began. “What you did this morning was awesome. Do you think… you could teach me to fight like that?”

Gabriel looked down at her. “No.” He answered simply.

“Huh?” She narrowed her eyes. “Why not?”

“You are already a strong girl, Gilda.” Gabriel noted. “In both heart and will; I will not corrupt that by turning you into a killer.” He rose and went on his way.

“H... hey!” Gilda stood.

“Gilda.” Genevieve called to her.

Gilda turned back to see her and Gabby sitting nearby; she went to them and sat beside her. “Yeah?”

“Do not take his dismissal the wrong way.” Genevieve laid her talon to her shoulder. “He appreciates your admiration, he has expressed a mutual like of you as well.”

“Then why won’t he teach me?” She asked.

“Because he does not want you to be like him.” She explained. “Gabriel, like Gwyn, was raised to fill a role. For Gabriel though, that role was to be the defender of Cliff Haven. For him to be as he is now, he sacrificed much; but in doing so he kept the village fed through his hunting and safe through his countless battles against the wild beasts of the mountain.” She thought far back to their youth. “He and I grew up alongside each other. I admit that I was quite fond of him when we were young; but combat and survival was all he knew and all he could offer his home, needless to say our relationship remained platonic.” She sighed in reflective thought. “Still, when Gwyn was brought into the world it was decided that he would be my aid in raising him. There was no griffon better to act as my counterweight on the scale of the Prince’s life.” She laughed. “You should have seen him in the beginning, he had no idea what to do with a hatchling much less how to interact with one; it was like watching a Manticore play with a puppy.” Genevieve looked across the way at Gabriel, who was helping himself to another bowl. “But Gwyn has done as much for him as he for Gwyn. Raising the Prince has softened his heart, even though he would never admit it aloud.”

“Wow.” Gabby absorbed the story. “I never would have guessed that there was so much to him.”

“As for you, Gilda.” Genevieve continued. “He will not teach you because he cares enough not to lead you down that path.”

Gilda looked down at her talon. “I guess I understand.” She smiled. “He’s pretty cool.”

“Come on.” Gabby hopped up and took her talon. “Let’s go get some more stew before it’s gone. Grandpa Gruff’s recipe is really good.”

“Statistically he’d have to be good at something.” Gilda barbed as she was pulled along.

Genevieve watched the girls off with a light laugh, her eyes surveying the festive evening. Eventually, Gabriel returned to her side and sat with her. “Welcome back.”

“What exactly did you tell them?” He asked, seeing that she had called Gilda over.

“Only the truth.” Genevieve answered him in her usual, cryptic fashion. “She has come to look up to you these past months.”

“As Gabby has with you.” He noted.

“Perhaps we are inadvertently training our replacements.” She mused.

“A secure retirement for you.” He chortled, stopping as he saw her intense eyes glaring at him.

“Are you suggesting that I am old?” She toned.

He coughed lightly, adverting his eyes from her. “Of course not.” While wild beasts and monsters caused him no fear, Genevieve most certainly did.