• Published 25th Apr 2019
  • 1,488 Views, 46 Comments

The Prince Of Griffonstone - Marezinger Z



Griffonstone sees the arrival of the sole heir to its throne, with the young Prince seeking to restore it to its former glory.

  • ...
3
 46
 1,488

Chapter 8

As Gwyn had predicted, Gilda truly came into her own as the months passed. To Gwyn, she and Gabby were practically his right and left talons. Despite her abrasiveness and sharp tongue, the griffons and ponies alike had come to hold her in high regard and this reality did not go unnoticed by her. After the morning’s breakfast, she headed for the eastern worksite which was now being developed.

“Morning Gilda.” One of the ponies hailed as she walked through the site.

“Hey Anvil, plan on working with both hooves today?” She grinned.

“Ouch.” He laughed. “You’re a hard lady to please.”

“Better believe it.” Gilda agreed with a sure nod. She made her way over to Fixit who was surveying the area as the teams headed to work.

“Hey, Gilda.” He greeted.

“How’s it going, Fixit?” She asked.

“Good, most of the concrete foundations have finally set so we’re ready to start framing.” He nodded as he looked over the expansive plot of land.

“We still set on supplies and materials?” Gilda continued. “It’s been nearly a week since the last shipments arrived from Canterlot.”

“We’re good for now.” Fixit sucked his teeth in thought. “But the next delivery should have been here by now.”

“I’ll look into it.” Gilda assured.

“There is one other thing.” Fixit noted. “We’ve been here for going on half a year now, I think it’s about time we let the workers have a week to return home; you know, rest up and see their families.”

“I’ll talk to Gwyn.” She promised. “I’m sure he’ll agree with you on that one.”

“Thanks.” He took up his hard hat. “Guess I’d better get back to it.” Fixit headed back to work with a smile.

Gilda flew back into the city limits to search for Gwyn until a familiar voice halted her efforts.

“Wow.” Rainbow Dash whistled at the sight of the city.

“Dash?” Gilda turned back to see her old firend admiring the remodel.

“Hey, Gilda.” She leapt into the air and glided over to Gilda’s side. “Been a while.”

“Yeah.” Gilda hugged her. “Good to see you, Dash.”

“I heard about the Prince and the whole to-do with Griffonstone; I figured it would be a good time to visit and see just what’s been going on.” Rainbow Dash held her hooves out. “But this… this is awesome. I didn’t even recognize the place.”

“I know.” Gilda nodded. “I’ve been watching it happen so slowly I guess the shock is lost on me.”

“How about you show me around?”

“I would but… I’m a little busy.” Gilda admitted.

“Oh, they putting you to work?” Rainbow Dash laughed.

“Actually, I work directly with Gwyn… uh… the Prince.”

“What!?” She asked in great surprise.

“Yeah, he took Gabby and I on as his personal assistants.” Gilda explained. “I’ve been in charge of handling things around the city for him and keeping up communications with the work crews.”

Rainbow Dash had to stop and absorb the idea. “Well, look at you. Gone from local grump to royal aide.”

“It’s… been a pretty wild ride.” Gilda chuckled, rubbing the back of her head.

“Gilda.” Gwyn called to her as he fell from the sky.

“Hey, Gwyn.” Gilda held her talon out to her friend. “This is my old friend, Rainbow Dash. The one I told you about.”

“I see.” Gwyn smiled and tipped his head. “It is a pleasure, miss.”

“Same here.” Rainbow Dash bowed.

“Gwyn, Fixit mentioned that he thinks it’s about time for a little vacation for the workforce.” Gilda detailed. “I told him I’d run it by you.”

“Ah, I forget how much time has passed already.” Gwyn nodded. “I will see to him.”

“Well, I guess if you’re busy I can split.” Rainbow Dash sighed in disappointment.

“Nonsense.” Gwyn refuted. “If you have come to see Gilda, then by all means.”

“Are you sure?” Gilda asked.

“Of course.” He lightly held her shoulder. “You have been working non-stop since we started. If any creature deserves a day off it is you, milady. I will handle things in your stead.”

“Thanks.” Gilda smiled. As Gwyn flew away, she eagerly turned back to Rainbow Dash. “Okay, I’ll show you what we’ve got done so far.”

“Cool, let’s go.”

Gilda guided Rainbow Dash around the city, taking her into her own remodeled home to show off the new design. Along the way she detailed her first meeting with the Prince and how her involvement in everything progressed over time. As the tour ended, they landed on the empty foundation of the old castle which still offered a beautiful view of Griffonstone. Gilda sat and looked out over everything, realizing she never took the time to just stop and admire what they had accomplished so far. “Gwyn was right.” She said, half aloud. “It does feel nice to be proud of your home.”

“I’m really glad to see that you’re doing so well now.” Rainbow Dash sat beside her. “You’ve definitely done a lot of growing… although I’m right behind you on that one.” She laughed.

“That’s for sure.” Gilda smirked. “Never pegged you for a teacher, professor dweeb." She teased.

“Me either.” She admitted. “It just kind of happened… so much has just happened over the past few years I’ve lost track.” A whimsical smile crossed her face. “Guess we really aren’t just a couple of young, show-offs anymore.”

“Gee, thanks for coming all this way just to make me feel old.” Gilda socked her in the foreleg.

“Haha, sorry.”

“It isn’t that bad.” Gilda shrugged. “I mean, trying to spread friendship up here wasn’t going so hot; at least not until Gwyn showed up and offered us something real. At first I was as skeptical as everybody else but now, for the first time in a long time I feel like I have direction in life… not just getting by day by day.” She chuckled. “If that’s what getting older means then I can live with it.”

They sat silent for a few reflective moments before Rainbow Dash began to sniff the air. “Hey, something smells good.”

“It’s getting late, they must be starting on dinner.” Gilda observed as she stood. “Want to stick around to eat? You can meet the others.”

“Sure, I'm starving.”

As the sun lowered and the workers returned from the site, Gilda walked Rainbow Dash through the food line and met back up with Gwyn and the rest of her friends. Sitting amonst them, Gilda began introductions.

“Dash, this is Genevieve and Gabriel; they’re basically Gwyn’s family.” She grabbed Rainbow Dash’s shoulder. “This is my friend Rainbow Dash, we went to junior flight school together.”

“A pleasure, Ms. Rainbow Dash.” Genevieve said as she and Gabriel lowered their heads to her.

“I’m sure you’ve heard about Gabby.” Gilda noted.

“Yeah, Scoots told me about you.” Rainbow Dash recalled the story of the honorary CMC.

“And of course you remember Grandpa Gruff.” Gilda casually gestured over to the old griffon.

“Hard to forget a face like that.” Rainbow Dash chortled.

“How is Gallus doing at your fancy school?” Grandpa Gruff asked.

“Great.” She nodded. “A little rough around the edges but he’s an awesome student.”

“Well, we are honored to have you here, milady.” Gwyn noted. “It is nice to meet one of Gilda’s friends.”

“Still hard to believe she’s practically running things around here.” Rainbow Dash shook her head as she ate.

“I have few words for how indispensable she and Gabby have been in our work here.” Gwyn praised.

“Th…thanks.” Gilda wriggled shyly. “It’s not that big a deal.”

“Ah, she’s blushing.” Gabby pointed out.

“Zip it, pipsqueak.” Gilda furrowed her brow.

“So, how much more work do you guys have left?” Rainbow Dash asked through a mouthful.

“Oh, months without a doubt.” Gwyn answered. “After the eastern site is complete, the new businesses will have to be outfitted, stocked and employed. Then there is the matter of paving the mountain roads, the open air marketplace and the transportation airship.” His eyes perked as he recalled something. “Speaking of which, we will indeed be ceasing work for the next week as Fixit requested. We are at a good point to stop for now and the ponies most definitely deserve a break from all of this.”

“Does that mean we’re on vacation too?” Gabby asked.

“Indeed, take the time to rest and revitalize yourselves.” He nodded.

“Good, I can catch up on my naps.” Grandpa Gruff huffed. “It’ll be nice to go a few days without hearing hammering, sawing and magical explosions.”

“Hey, why don’t you come back to Cloudsdale with me?” Rainbow Dash rustled Gilda’s wing. “We can spend some time down by the academy and I can show you what’s been up with the Wonderbolts.”

“Sure, beats hanging around here.” Gilda shrugged. “You can crash with me and Gabriel tonight.”

“Ooh, I’ll head back to Ponyville.” Gabby said eagerly. “I want to share what’s been happening with Applebloom, Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo.”

“What of you, Prince?” Genevieve looked over to Gwyn. “How will you spend this brief reprieve?”

“Actually, I thought we would return to Cliff Haven tomorrow.” Gwyn suggested. “I wish to speak with Glenshandra.”

“I see.” Genevieve smiled. “I am certain she will be happy to see you again, Prince.”

“If we are going to be parting ways for a time, I suggest we enjoy the night even more.” Gwyn recommended as he looked over his friends.


With the others having already left early in the morning; Gwyn, Genevieve and Gabriel set out for Cliff Haven. The virtually hidden village of griffons rested far down the opposite side of the mountain. Gwyn had not honestly thought about his birth home since he had arrived in Griffonstone; but after the humbling incident with Celestia his mind began to drift back to his quiet home. A smile came to him as the straw roofs of the modest, wooden homes came into view. The moment they landed, the close knit community came to greet them. Even the strict, disciplined nature of Genevieve and Gabriel sloughed away as they found themselves once again surrounded by those so close to them. Noticing the crowd; Glenshandra, matriarch of Cliff Haven, made her way over to investigate. She smiled at the sight of Gwyn and beckoned him over.

“I was wondering who was causing such a fuss.” She held her talons open.

“Glenshandra.” Gwyn immediately went to her, accepting her embrace.

“The destined son of Cliff Haven returns.” She held him tightly. “Far earlier than expected, is everything alright?”

“Quite so.” Gwyn nodded. “Even now, Griffonstone stands in a state is has not seen in generations.”

“That is wonderful news, young Prince.”

“How have things been here since we departed?” He asked.

“Well, at first it was an adjustment having given up our eager young Prince.” She laughed and glanced back to Genevieve and Gabriel. “Not to mention our sharpest mind and sharpest talon. But things are well.”

“We are glad.” Genevieve noted in relief. “We were indeed a bit concerned.”

“So what is it that brings about this return?” Glenshandra inquired.

“Work has ceased for the next week, as such I wished to return here to speak with you.” Gwyn answered.

“Well then, please join me in my home and we can talk all you wish.” She started back towards her ornately decorated home. She and Gwyn left the others to enjoy their trip home and convened around her quaint dining table. “So, how are the griffons of Griffonstone?” She asked as she sat. “Are they still bound by their endless greed for bits?”

“At first, yes.” Gwyn admitted. “It took some doing, but they eventually came around. They are not the griffons you once knew.” He nodded solemnly. “In fact, I am no longer the griffon you once knew.”

“Is that so?” She eyed him in interest.

“I learned something very difficult and yet very valuable in recent months. It forced me to re-look at everything about myself and my goals. With the example set by my new friends, I feel as if I am an entirely new griffon now.”

“You got your heart broken, didn’t you?” She asked rhetorically, already knowing the answer.

“I… yes.” He nodded.

Glenshandra laughed lightly. “That does tend to be a humbling experience, especially for a Prince.”

“Indeed, but in spite of the pain it caused I am much happier with how things are now. The Princess and I are still on excellent terms and all is not lost, but whatever happens will happen naturally and not because of some formulaic calculation on my part.”

“My.” She smiled warmly. “How much you’ve grown in such a short time. Leaving the isolation of this village has done wonders for you, Gwyn.”

“Which is why I am here now.” He said surely. “Griffonstone has changed, the griffons have changed… I would like you all to return with me and rejoin your brothers and sisters. It would be safer for you all and you have my word that the quality of your lives shall improve tenfold.”

“Oh, the quality of our lives eh?” She chuckled. “Gwyn, my life here has been of the highest quality.”

“I didn’t mean to insinuate…”

“I know.” She assured with a calming wave. “I know what you mean and I appreciate the offer, but Cliff Haven is our home and I can safely speak for all when I say that life in a city is just not for us.” She sighed. “I know that our ancestors came here to escape the corruption of Griffonstone, and I am happy to learn that it has amended its ways, but that division is not why we continue to remain here; we do so because we love our home just as you are teaching them to finally love theirs.” She reached over and tapped his beak. “This will always be your home too, even when you finally ascend to the throne. You will be the bridge between the two and we will always be here if you need us.”

Gwyn smiled in concession. “I understand, Glenshandra. Thank you.”

“Besides, as the eldest griffon I have little desire to uproot.” She added.

“Actually, you are no longer officially the eldest griffon.” Gwyn said with a laugh. “I have found one much older and far more set in his ways. His name is Grandpa Gruff and…”

“Griswold?” Her eyes lit up.

“Pardon?”

“One eye, wears a silly little hat?”

“You… know him?”

“Ha ha, to think that angry old buzzard is still alive.” She cheerfully mused.

“How do you know him?” Gwyn asked.

“He was here for a time, long before even Genevieve or Gabriel were born.” She explained. “He had just…” She stopped and sighed. “That is not my story to tell.”

“He did surprise me by saying he knew of Cliff Haven.” Gwyn recalled his initial talks with him.

“Do give him my regards.” She asked.

“I shall.” Gwyn promised.

For the next few hours Gwyn told her all of what had happened to him since he left; he detailed Gilda and Gabby, what happened with Celestia and of his culinary adventure down restaurant row. He told her of Fixit and the multitude of ponies that now worked side by side with the griffons and of his future plans for the rest of the city. As the hour grew late, and having received his answer, Gwyn bid Glenshandra farewell with a vow to again return to see her and the others. Reconvening with Genevieve and Gabriel, the trio began to prepare for their return trip.

“Prince.” Gabriel approached. “Before we return to Griffonstone, there is something about which we must speak while we are away from their eyes and ears.”

“Of course.” Gwyn gave him his attention. “What is it, Gabriel?”

“I have kept my concerns over your growing familiarity with the griffons of the city to myself, primarily because it has served you well on a personal level. That being said, I worry that you have grown too familiar.”

“How so?” Gwyn asked.

“You walk with them as equals; you allow them to forgo your title and speak to you as casually as you and I are now. While the camaraderie has helped rally them, they are seeing you less and less as a Prince.”

“Am I not a griffon as they are?”

“No Prince, you are not.” Gabriel said plainly. “You are of royal blood and will one day take the throne of Griffonstone. When that day comes, the griffons will need a leader and ruler… not a friend.”

Gwyn considered his words. “You suggest that after all we have been through, they would not follow me when the time comes?”

“It is not that I believe they will not follow you, but the change in dynamic may be so drastic that it leaves them disillusioned. Gilda and Gabby see you as their friend now, when the day comes that you must order them and dictate their daily lives… how do you think they will feel? The old one sees you as a child, one that requires teaching and instruction, do you think he will so readily accept your authority over him?” Gabriel saw the struggle in Gwyn’s eyes at the idea. “I know your heart is kind and I am glad that you have been able to make such bonds, I merely suggest that you consider my words as this is something you truly need to keep in mind, Prince.”

“I… understand, Gabriel.” Gwyn slowly nodded. “I shall.”

“Prince.” Gabriel bowed.

“Are we ready, Prince?” Genevieve asked as she joined them.

“Yes, let us return while the moonlight is with us.” Gwyn took a look back and waved to the griffons before taking to the air. He remained silent for the long, nocturnal flight; his mind mulling over Gabriel’s words and how he would address this potential issue in the future.