• Published 25th Apr 2019
  • 1,488 Views, 46 Comments

The Prince Of Griffonstone - Marezinger Z



Griffonstone sees the arrival of the sole heir to its throne, with the young Prince seeking to restore it to its former glory.

  • ...
3
 46
 1,488

Chapter 9

It was late indeed when Gwyn, Genevieve and Gabriel made it back to Griffonstone. Still remaining with Grandpa Gruff, Gwyn quietly stole his way into the home.

“Late night, eh kid?” The old griffon stared down at him from his straw bed.

“Forgive me, I didn’t mean to wake you.” Gwyn apologized as he closed the door.

“Ah, you didn’t wake anyone.” He grumbled. “Been sleeping all day.”

“I take it things were quiet in our absence?”

“Like a tomb.” Grandpa Gruff chortled. “So, have a good trip home?”

“Indeed I did… Griswold.” Gwyn smiled up at him.

“What!?” Grandpa Gruff shot up and glared at him. “Where’d you hear that name?”

“Glenshandra sends her best.” Gwyn added.

“Glenshandra?” He made a silent curse. “That old harpy still kicking?”

“Her sentiments for news of you were much the same.” Gwyn laughed. “She told me you were in Cliff Haven some time ago.”

“She did huh?” Grandpa Gruff eyed him. “What else did she tell you?”

“Nothing.” Gwyn assured. “She said it was not her story to tell.”

He rolled his eyes. “Guess she’s got some sense in her after all.”

“I know you have your past; and you seem determined to keep it your own.” Gwyn said with an earnest smile. “I will not pry nor spread word of what she said to me. If you ever do decide to share it with us, it will be in your own time.”

Grandpa Gruff sighed as sad memories came back to him. “I… went to Cliff Haven after… after I lost my daughter and my grandkids.” Gwyn stopped and turned back at the news. “Long time ago… not long enough to forget though.” His remaining eye roamed the room. “I had to leave Griffonstone. Everything here reminded me of them and the stupid… useless griffons that let them… die.” A long held tear left his eye. “Glenshandra and those nature loving feather heads in Cliff Haven were a better option than staying here. They let me remain and… they were good to me, better than I deserved anyway. She and I never saw eye to eye though, spent most of our time arguing but it wasn’t all bad; sometimes it’s nice to have somebody to argue with. I just… needed somebody to yell at and she was happy to let me, guess it was her way of trying to help.”

“I am sorry.” Gwyn said wholeheartedly. “What happened to your family?”

“Bad storm… worst in a long time.” He recalled. “Countless feet of snow and winds icier than a cockatrice’s stare. They got caught in it while trying to travel and…” His eye grew angry. “I tried to get them to help, but they just didn’t care… they wanted bits to even be bothered and even then the selfish animals were too wrapped up in themselves to help. I tried to look for them but I was already too old and too weak to fight that storm.” He balled his talon, his voice beginning to waver. “I found them though… after the storm had finally moved on; frozen and huddled together.” He pounded the floor. “That’s what Griffonstone was; that’s what the proud griffon species stood for… I hated it… and them, all of them.” He wiped his eye, a small laugh escaping him. “In the end though, I wound up just like them… but at least I had an excuse for being empty inside.”

“I have no words.” Gwyn said, staggered at the story. “But that is what I am trying to fix, to make a Griffonstone where such a story will never be repeated.

“I know, kid.” Grandpa Gruff came down from his bed. “That’s why I decided to help.” He went to his new mantle and opened a box, removing a tattered photo and presenting it to Gwyn.

Gwyn observed the griffon couple and the three young ones with them, a pair of granddaughters and a grandson. “They are a lovely family.”

“The little rugrats always said I was too grumpy. They called me their Grandpa Gruff.”

“I see, you keep the name to honor their memory.” Gwyn surmised.

“As much as I’d hate to say it; Gilda, Gabby and Gallus… they’re just like them.” Grandpa Gruff admitted with a small smile. “That’s why I keep an eye on them. They may hate it but it’s for their own good, somebody had to look out for them.”

Gwyn returned the photo and nodded solemnly. “You have my word that I will see Griffonstone a place they would have loved.”

Grandpa Gruff actually teared up and grabbed his shoulder. “Thanks, kid.” He slowly made his way back up to his bed and went silent. Gwyn rested in his own spot, with not long before dawn and a full mind he didn’t get much sleep.


With Gilda and Gabby still gone, the following day was rather quiet. Gwyn found himself on the barren lot where the castle once stood. As he thought about what to do with the spot, he was reminded of what Gabriel had said to him in Cliff Haven. Allowing himself to indulge in predictions, he began running scenarios in his mind about the pros of cons of various approaches.

“Prince.” Genevieve’s voice returned his mind to the here and now. “You have been standing here for some time. Is everything alright?”

Gwyn shook his fog and turned to her. “Yes, I was just considering things.”

“Have you decided what you wish to build on this spot?”

“Not yet.” He admitted. “Genevieve, do you think I am too personable with the griffons?”

“What do you mean, Prince?” She inquired.

“Gabriel told me that I have allowed myself to become too close to those I am inevitably going to rule over. He imagines that they are seeing me less and less as royalty which will have future consequences.”

“I see.” Genevieve nodded. “That is… quite like him. Admittedly, his words are not without wisdom.” She pondered for a long moment. “Your situation can be much likened to that of any workforce. Say five creatures work together in the same organization, they do so for years and become close friends. One day, one of them is promoted to be the leader of said organization; those once at his side are now under his authority and must accept that he is now above them.” She sighed in consideration. “Without a doubt, the change in relationship will not be a smooth one; but as in all things there are good and bad aspects. On one talon, the remaining four may feel embittered and resent the change in power balance; seeing it as a point of contention. On the other talon, the one that has taken power now has intimate knowledge of the wants, needs and opinions of those he is in charge of; that knowledge can make him a leader that can better understand and be there for those he now oversees.” Genevieve let out a thoughtful breath. “I suppose then, there is no true answer to your question, Prince; just as there is no correct way to rule. You must be the King that you know yourself to be, using what you have learned as well as your own judgement.”

Gwyn looked back to the empty site. “If there is no true answer… perhaps then what is needed is to change the question.”

“My Prince?”

“Ah, nothing.” Gwyn smiled. “I have a few ideas but it will take time to decide on a true course. We are still far from that point at the moment, best to leave it be for now.”

“If that is your wish, Prince.” Genevieve bowed.

“I will admit though.” Gwyn began as they started walking back into the city. “I’ve grown very used to having Gilda and Gabby with us; it is far too quiet without them.”

“On that, we can agree, Prince.” Genevieve laughed.


The rest of the week was slow but restful. Gabby and Gilda returned with stories of their trips and almost to the minute, Fixit and the ponies returned to continue the work. With fresh supplies, food and spirits; construction resumed. The next month saw the onset of the rainy season which slowed progress but replenished the natural wells. The eastern site slowly began to come together and Gwyn grew excited as it neared completion. He sent word to Celestia, inviting her and Luna to the following week’s grand opening of the freshly minted Flavor’s Roost; named thusly by Gabby herself. Griffons that were interested in learning, were sent to Canterlot in advance to train with local chefs so they could be ready to prepare dishes. Gilda was charged with securing the vast stock of ingredients and spices while Grandpa Gruff trained a team of younger griffons in the art of fishing to establish a steady supply of fresh fish. Gwyn granted ownership of the establishment to a well-traveled and open minded griffon named Garvin; who vowed to work hard to see his new operation a success. The other, completed businesses consisted of a general store, bakery, boutique and home store; there was still plenty of room for more but the essentials were covered for the time being. Gwyn gladly offered the funding to see the businesses fully stocked and left them in the capable talons of griffons eager to test their mettle in the commercial world. Come opening night, the royal sisters arrived and were immediately taken by what they saw.

“Oh my.” Luna whispered as they passed through the reimagined archway leading into the city. “This is beautiful.” Their eyes panned across the clean streets, quaint homes and planted trees that were illuminated by elegant street lanterns.

“Princesses.” Gwyn flew to them upon sight, having been waiting for their arrival.

“Gwyn, this is amazing.” Celestia complemented. “The city is unrecognizable.”

“Indeed.” He took her hoof and kissed it. “I am glad you could both come.”

“Of course, we would not dare miss such an event.” Celestia noted. “I’ve been looking forward to seeing the city in its near final state.”

“She’s been very much looking forward to seeing you as well, Gwyn.” Luna added as she walked past him, leaving the pair alone to talk.

“Ah… yes, I have.” Celestia admitted.

“That means as much to me as any success I might find here tonight.” Gwyn smiled up at her. “I have missed you.” He arched his neck to display her feather.

“Likewise.” Celestia pulled her mane back to show him his own.

“Then allow me to escort you to a proper dinner this time.” He bowed and gestured down the road.

Catching up to Luna, Gwyn led them to the new district of the city where nearly every creature in Griffonstone had gathered to share in the experience. While every creature was promised a chance to try the food, the initial seating consisted of Gwyn and his close companions, the royal sisters, Fixit and the construction team leads as well as the first thirty creatures in line. It was far from an intimate evening, but Gwyn and Celestia had a wonderful time nonetheless. The food was excellent, given the fairly short span of time the griffon chefs had to prepare. To Gwyn’s great satisfaction, the ponies were just as pleased with the griffon take on their own meals as his own kind was with theirs. Not wanting to hold space for too long, Gwyn and the sisters moved on to let others be seated in their place.

“This turned out spectacularly, Gwyn.” Celestia said as they moved away from the raucous crowd. “And so much fun.”

“Indeed, you all should be very proud of what you have accomplished.” Luna added.

“Thank you both.” Gwyn said graciously. “It has been a long road to this point, but to see them all so happy and engaged makes it worth every ounce of blood and sweat that went into its creation.”

“Gwyn.” Gabby called to him as she and the others came to join them.

“How was everything?” He asked.

“Perfect.” Gilda gave him a thumb up. “I haven’t had fish like that in forever.”

“They have done your vision justice, Prince.” Genevieve patted Gabriel’s back. “Even Gabriel has nothing to complain about.”

“Yes… it is quite the success, Prince.” Gabriel batted her talon away.

“Almost makes it worth all the racket.” Grandpa Gruff twisted his claw in his ear.

“Did you like it, Princesses?” Gabby asked.

“Most certainly.” Celestia smiled. “I have no doubt that in time, it will be held in regard along with the most notable restaurants in Canterlot.”

“I must say, Gwyn.” Luna went to his side. “For all intents and purposes, your vision for Griffonstone seems to be a reality. What is next for you?”

“Well, while it is true that the city itself is basically complete, we still have projects beyond the walls.”

“You still have one major part of the city to complete, my Prince.” Genevieve corrected.

“Yes, the castle.” Gabriel continued. “Prince, before you begin expanding beyond the gates of Griffonstone, I believe it is time that the castle be rebuilt so that you make take your true title as King of Griffonstone.”

“Yeah, definitely.” Gabby clapped her talons together. “To be honest, the city looks kind of naked without something there.”

“Not to mention you’ll have your own place to sleep.” Grandpa Gruff chuckled.

“I… suppose you are correct.” Gwyn conceded.

“Don’t sound so excited.” Gilda laughed.

“If I may, Gwyn.” Celestia came in. “I think that would be a good idea. You have more than proven yourself and your ability to lead this city. Why not make it official?”

Gwyn knew the tide was against him on this one and merely nodded. “Very well.” He accepted. “Allow me some time to design a structure and I will conference with Fixit.” He looked back to Celestia. “In the meantime, would you be interested in seeing the rest of the district?”

“Of course.” Celestia nodded.

Luna pointed out towards the boutique. “Yes, I would very much like to buy a gown as a souvenir of our first trip to the city.”

“Yay, clothes shopping with a Princess.” Gabby bounded.

“Count me out.” Grandpa Gruff hacked as he headed back home.

“For once, I agree with the old one.” Gabriel too, graciously bowed out.

“Old, stubborn males.” Genevieve said, giving Celestia a keen smile.

“They can’t all be raised like Gwyn, I suppose.” Celestia noted with a wink as the group made its way towards the shop.