• Published 25th Apr 2019
  • 1,486 Views, 46 Comments

The Prince Of Griffonstone - Marezinger Z



Griffonstone sees the arrival of the sole heir to its throne, with the young Prince seeking to restore it to its former glory.

  • ...
3
 46
 1,486

Chapter 5

Celestia made breakfast for Luna and herself, as she sat to eat her sister arrived not long after with the morning paper.

“Good morning, Luna.” Celestia greeted.

“Good morning, sister.” Luna sat across the table. “Here is the paper.” She placed it beside Celestia’s plate.

“Let us see the headline for today.” Celestia opened it with a sigh, the paper having been dominated by the specter of her alleged marriage for days now.

“What does it say?”

Celestia rolled her eyes. “Princess Celestia’s suitor has some ponies crying fowl.” She groaned. “These puns are getting ridiculous.”

"Puns?" Luna took the paper with her magic and looked it over, her eyes lit up and she pointed to the front page with a smile. “I see, they put fowl as he is of an avian race.” She laughed heartily. “How clever.”

“I’m glad you’re enjoying this.” Celestia gave her a judging look. “Because I find it very stressful. Over half my day as of late has been nothing but fielding questions about Gwyn.”

A guard entered the dining room and bowed. “Your majesty, the griffon messenger has returned.”

Celestia nodded. “We will be right there, thank you.” The guard left and the sisters rose from the table. They went to the throne room and found Gabby sitting patiently. “Hello again.”

“Hello, Princesses.” Gabby smiled and brandished the scroll. “I have another letter from Gwyn.”

“I see.” Celestia brought it before her. “How are things in Griffonstone?”

“Amazing!” Gabby bounced excitedly. “The old castle is gone and they’re working on the houses already.”

“That is good to hear.” Luna noted. “It seems he wastes no time.”

Celestia unfurled the scroll and read. The letter was fairly short but no less filled with sweet words. “He intends to return tomorrow so that we may finally spend some time together.” She paraphrased.

“Aren’t you excited!?” Gabby asked. “Gwyn is.”

“I… yes, of course.” Celestia smiled. “Please tell him I look forward to our next meeting.”

“Oh, Gwyn asked me to give you one other thing.” Gabby said as she recalled her parting words with the Prince.

“It isn’t another gift is it?” Celestia asked nervously. “As you can see, I already have plenty.”

“Oh, no.” She reached into her bag and pulled out a grey block of stone.

“What is that?” Luna asked.

“It’s the last remaining block from the castle.” Gabby explained. “Gwyn wants to keep certain items from the project for pospe… prisp…”

“Prosperity?” Celestia offered the word she felt she meant.

“Yeah, that.” Gabby grinned. “He wanted to know if you could hold onto it for him, since Griffonstone is such a mess right now.”

“Certainly.” Celestia nodded and levitated the stone.

“Okay, I need to get back now.” Gabby jumped into the air. “Bye, Princesses.” She sped off through the double doors.

“It seems it is time for your long awaited first date.” Luna chuckled to herself. “They grow up so fast.”

“Oh stop.” Celestia laughed lightly and sat in her throne.

“Are you actually nervous?” Luna asked.

“I don’t know what I feel, Luna.” She admitted. “But I said that I would give him a chance and I intend to; I do look forward to seeing him though.”


Between the media circus and her varied feelings, Celestia welcomed the following day and the chance to finally talk to Gwyn about everything. She decided to wear the necklace he had gifted her and went about her day until she received word of his arrival. While she reviewed the month’s agricultural report, Luna approached her with a cautious smile.

“Sister.”

“Luna?” Celestia pulled her head up from her reading. “Has he arrived?”

“Yes, he has.” Luna nodded. “But… well, you might wish to come see for yourself.”

Confused, Celestia rose and followed Luna up to the front balcony. As she stepped out and looked down over the street below her face twisted in shock as she saw Gwyn and Genevieve walking towards the castle with a parade of ponies at his heels. “Oh my.” She let out a heavy breath.

Down below, as Gwyn and Genevieve walked, one of many reporters came up alongside of them. “Prince?” He vied for his attention. “This is your first time back since you announced your interest in the Princess, can we ask what you have planned?”

“Of course.” Gwyn smiled. “This will be our first official outing so what better than a classic night of dinner and dancing.”

“How delightfully ordinary.” Another came up and joined the conversation. “Where will you be dining, Prince?” She asked.

“Well, I am still new to the city.” He noted. “Any recommendations?”

“Canterlot Terrace is rated the most romantic eatery in the city.” She informed. “Outdoor dining at its finest and given a three hoof rating from Zesty Gourmand herself.”

“My, that sounds perfect.” He tipped his head to her. “Thank you, milady.” As they neared the castle he looked up and saw the royal sisters on the balcony. “Ah!” He waved up at them. “Princess! It has been too long since I have been able to gaze upon you!” He turned back to the crowd. “I must fly to my Princess, do wish me luck.” With a smile he and Genevieve leapt up and ascended to the balcony.

“Princesses.” Genevieve bowed as they landed before them.

“Princess, it is wonderful to see you.” Gwyn took her hoof and kissed it sweetly.

“It is good to see you too, Gwyn.” Celestia glanced down at the still gathered mass of citizens. “You seem to have stirred the hornets’ nest again.”

“They were eager to ask questions.” He informed. “I didn’t wish to merely ignore them, I want them to know that I am as open to them as I am my own kind.” While not fond of the attention he had drawn, Celestia found it difficult to argue with his sentiment. “Oh, you’re wearing the necklace I had Gabby procure.”

“Yes.” She nodded as she laid her hoof to it. “It is very beautiful.”

“Well then.” Luna stepped between them. “I do not wish to be the proverbial third wheel, I shall leave you two to share your evening.” She looked to Genevieve. “Perhaps we could relax ourselves, over tea?”

“I would be honored, Princess.” She lowered her head. “Prince, if you’ve no further need of me.”

“No, please enjoy your night as well.” He said sincerely.

“My Prince.” She bowed and followed Luna back into the castle.

“Well, Princess.” Gwyn clasped his claws together excitedly. “With the help of the locals, I think I’ve found the perfect place to spend our inaugural evening. I’ve been recommended the Canterlot Terrace.”

“Ah.” Celestia smiled unsurely. “Do you not feel that such a place may be too… public? To be honest, the city has been abuzz with news and gossip about us.”

“It has?” He asked keenly. “How wonderful.”

“That… isn’t exactly how I would describe it, Gwyn.”

“We should not fear the public eye.” He said boldly. “If anything, we should feel free to enjoy ourselves as any other and let them see for themselves the reality of our bond.”

“Well, I suppose it might be alright.” She resolved herself. “Very well, Canterlot Terrace it is.”

The royal pairing flew out over the city and towards the upscale restaurant. The unique establishment consisted of a main structure that served only as the kitchen and staff areas; all dining took place on three, five tiered marble patios that offered 360⁰ views of the area. Prices varied not by meal but by level, with the highest levels fetching the most bits. Upon arriving, the staff and patrons immediately turned their attention to them and the owner himself quickly approached.

“Princess Celestia.” He bowed with a huge smile. “What an honor.” He did the same for Gwyn. “You must be Prince Gwyn, there has been much news about your last visit. Have you come to dine?”

“Most definitely.” Gwyn nodded. “May we have a table atop the highest level?”

“Without question, your highness.” He summoned a waiter. “Please see them to a table on level five of tower two.”

“Thank you.” Celestia said warmly as they followed him up to their table.

“Here you are.” The unicorn used his magic to pull out their seats. “Please, take all the time you need to make your selection, I will have fresh bread and a bottle of our summer fruit wine sent up.” He laid a pair of menus out.

“Thank you, sir.” Gwyn took up the menu and began looking it over. “Well Princess, how have you been these last days?” He asked. “Have you enjoyed the gifts I sent?”

“Yes.” She nodded. “That was very kind of you. I did want to talk to you about that, however.”

“Oh.” He lowered his menu. “Were they not to your liking?”

“No, it isn’t that.” Celestia assured. “On the contrary, it was a bit excessive. I appreciate the gesture but having so much given to me before we even shared this first night out… it just seemed too much.”

“Well.” He laughed shyly. “I supposed I did go overboard, but I felt it was the best thing to do to ensure you understood my sincerity. I am sorry if it came off as too heavy clawed.”

“It's okay.” She decided to change the subject. “Tell me of things in Griffonstone.”

“Things have been progressing quite smoothly.” He cheered. “The ponies you employed are amazing and fortunately the griffons of the city have been working at their side with little issue. Not to mention I have come to know a new ally in the aptly named, Grandpa Gruff."

"Is that so?" She chuckled. "I have met him."

"He is harsh in many ways." Gwyn admitted. "But he is wise in many more."

“I am glad the project is going so well.” Celestia noted. “I was…” She stopped as she heard a clamor coming from below. They were near the edge so she looked down and to her dismay saw yet another crowd of ponies. The flash of a camera made her pull her head back over the side.

“What is it, Princess?” Gwyn inquired.

“It seems our presence here has already become common knowledge.”

“Oh, well I did say to them that we intended to eat here.” He peered down as well.

“You what?” She asked with a hint of disbelief. “Why would you announce our destination, surely you knew this would happen.”

“Well yes, but I don’t mind if they know where are here.” He said rather calmly. “Seeing us together should quell their curiosity.”

“I imagine you don’t have much of a media presence in Griffonstone.” Celestia said with a halfhearted laugh. A server came with their wine and bread, pouring them both a glass before heading back downstairs. Celestia tried to relax and the two of them fell into a more normal conversation. As they sat, she noticed that the tier they were on quickly filled up with ponies who no doubt payed for the chance to see their Princess out with the griffon Prince. Another camera flash caught them, they turned to see a pony a few tables back taking the opportunity to capture a close up. Gwyn smiled a waved as he usually did, seemingly oblivious to Celestia’s gnawing discomfort. The owner came up and personally removed the patron, offering them his sincerest apologies. Things calmed after their food arrived but soon enough a mare from a nearby table rose and crept closer to them.

“Excuse me, Princess?” She spoke lightly.

“Yes?” Celestia tried to smile.

“I’m sorry, I know this inappropriate.” She apologized. “My name is Nightgown, owner of Canterlot Bridal, I wanted to personally offer my services to you given all the wedding talk.”

“My, how kind of you.” Gwyn gave her his attention. “I had planned to consult a professional in your field and here you are.”

“I would be happy to help, Prince.” She beamed.

“Gwyn.” Celestia called his attention back. “Please, I do wish you wouldn’t be so candid. I do not want to give the city any more ideas then it already has.” She looked to Nightgown. “Miss, we are far indeed from requiring any service like that. Thank you for your offer.”

Seeing the wait staff coming back up, Nightgown high-tailed it back to her table to avoid getting thrown out as well. Gwyn watched her off and turned back to Celestia with slight confusion. “That is a shame, it is never too early to begin planning.”

“Planning what, Gwyn?” Celestia asked rather sternly. “This is our first night out and you keep speaking as if our nuptials are certain.”

“I’m sorry Princess, are you upset?”

Celestia let out a controlled breath. “I’ve been upset, Gwyn.”

“You have?” Hearing that shook him. “Have I… done something wrong?”

“It isn’t about right or wrong.” Celestia explained. “I have been trying to look forward to this night but I knew this would happen. It was quite unwise to make that public announcement about seeking to marry me; no matter what your intent was, Canterlot has been consumed with unverified stories and here say about our relationship which hasn’t even gotten off the ground yet.” She glanced around at all the prying eyes. “Gwyn, I am not feeling comfortable here, talking about this in public. I would like to go back to the castle.”

Gwyn looked about with a hapless look in his eyes. “Of… of course, Princess.” He finally spoke. He requested the check and paid for the half eaten meal before they headed back to the castle. Gwyn didn’t say a word on the way back, his mind struggling with what just happened. As they landed and entered the quieting manor, Gwyn blindly followed her down the hall as he mumbled to himself.

“Gwyn, we really need to just sit and talk.” Celestia said earnestly. “I believe…”

“My apologies, Princess.” Gwyn interrupted as his mind raced. “I seem… to have made some miscalculations in all this.”

His words gave her pause and she looked back with bewilderment. “What do you mean, miscalculations?”

Gwyn seemed to ignore her question, his face awash with unsettledness. “I made a…no…everything should have played out…”

“Gwyn?” Celestia called to him.

“Princess?” He looked up at her with harried eyes.

“What are you talking about?” She asked again. “What should have played out?”

“You are angry, that is not… not what is supposed to happen.” He looked around nervously and his breath grew more rapid. “I made sure I met with you.” He noted. “You were impressed with my work and… and then I made my intentions clear.”

“Gwyn?” Celestia began to grow worried at the bizarre panic on his face.

“I… made the declaration public which would ensure the idea had the city’s support… gifts… presents... for you…” He finally returned his attention to her. “I waited several days so that you would reflect on everything… then return… dinner… then… what went wrong? I made sure to account for everything.”

“Gwyn.” Celestia approached him. “Have you been… trying to calculate my every reaction in all this? Has everything up till now been part of some grand plan?”

“No.” He insisted. “I mean… yes, but it is not what you think, Princess.” He forced a smile. “I merely organized every step to ensure that our interactions would lead to the desired end… our marriage. But, something has clearly gone wrong somewhere… I just need a moment to discern what that was.” His eyes grew distant again. “I… I can fix this.”

“Gwyn!” Her sudden shout snapped him out of his self induced haze. “I thought that you were being genuine, but this whole time you’ve been trying to manipulate me into feeling what you wish me to feel. All these gifts and romantic words… just pieces on a chess board that you have been moving to checkmate me into returning your affection.”

“No, Princess.” Gwyn shook his head. “It isn’t like that at all, I have meant every word and every gesture.” His eyes grew pleading as he attempted to explain. “I love you, Princess, I have always been in love with you since…”

“Gwyn stop, this isn’t love.” She halted him. “At least not the love you are speaking of; you are infatuated with the idea of me and what I represent.” Gesturing towards him with her wing, she advanced a few steps. “What is my favorite color?” She asked simply.

“I…” Gwyn could not answer.

“My favorite food?” She continued. “My favorite season?” She placed her hoof to her chest. “When is my birthday?”

“I do not… know, Princess.” He painfully conceded.

“Love is based on a bond that forms with time and experience, neither of which you are allowing. You are moving so fast and you say that you love me and wish to marry me, yet you don’t know the most basic things about me." She frowned as she saw the pain in his eyes. “I truly wished to give this a chance; but knowing this… I don’t know if this will work out.” She let out a hard breath. “I am sorry, but I need time to consider if I can still trust your intentions.”

Gwyn couldn't bring himself to look into her eyes. ‘I… I see.” He held his talon to his head as he steadied his breathing. “I am sorry to have caused you so much upset, Princess. I...” He stopped himself and merely bowed to her. “I will leave.”

“Gwyn.” She called as he started off. “You don’t have to...”

“I know.” Gwyn cut her off. “But I should." He managed a smile. "Goodbye, Princess.” He hurried back towards the doors and left.

Celestia sighed painfully, a myriad of thoughts and feelings running though her at once. She turned back and went in search of her sister.


After raising the sun the next morning, Celestia returned to the throne room to find that all of Gwyn’s extravagant gifts had been removed as she requested. She sat in her throne, the knowledge that she made the right decision to halt things with Gwyn not making her feel any better about breaking the young Prince’s heart. Luna entered not long after, finding her sister almost precisely as she imagined she would.

“Sister.” Luna sat beside her. “Are you okay?”

“There isn't a yes or no answer to that, Luna.” Celestia let out a thoughtful breath.

One of the guards entered and lightly coughed. “Your majesty, Ms. Genevieve has come to see you.”

“Genevieve?” Celestia repeated in surprise. “Please, see her in.”

“At once.” The guard bowed and left. Genevieve entered in his place and approached the Princesses.

“Princess Celestia, Princes Luna.” She bowed.

“I was unsure if you were still in the city.” Celestia said as they went down to her. “Is Gwyn still here as well?”

“No Princess, he has returned to Griffonstone to tend to matters there.”

“Oh, I see.” She said regretfully.

“He will be alright, in time.” Genevieve assured with a quiet smile. “Nevertheless, I came here to thank you."

"Thank me?" Celestia was taken aback by the notion.

"Yes." Genevieve nodded. "I thank you for being honest with Gwyn about this whole affair."

“Are you not upset?”

“No, Princess.” She shook her head. “You see, when Gwyn was young he was forced to remain in hiding. Gabriel and I alone were his friends, playmates, teachers and caregivers. We taught him of the world, we taught him the history of his kind and the tragedy that befell his family line and we told him that one day… he would be the ruler of Griffonstone.” She sighed. “But stories and pictures were all we could give him at the time; as a result he lived in a world constructed only of his ideas, everything was based on what he would do someday or what he planned to do. We worried that such a life would leave him damaged inside but to our surprise that wasn’t the case.” She paused to think back. “As he grew, the maturity we thought would be stunted by his lack of experience in fact blossomed far beyond what we could have imagined. Despite being trapped in a proverbial bubble, he dreamed and imagined like no other griffon before him but with logic, forethought and reason on par with that of a scholar. I remember the first time he showed Gabriel and I his initial drawings and sketches of the Griffonstone he intended to bring to life one day. We were astounded, but at the same time, relieved in many ways that he was on his way to becoming a fine ruler.”

“He is without a doubt a unique and impressive individual.” Luna complimented.

“But far from flawless.” Genevieve humbly admitted. “He has a big heart… too big for his body sometimes, and living a life based solely on ideals has left him a hopeless romantic. On top of that, his logical nature led him to believe that everything could be accounted and planned for.” She smiled knowingly. “Which is what led him to this inevitable lesson in heartache. From a young age he heard many stories from travelers about Equestria and its fair Princess Celestia. He became enamored with you quite early in life, which invariably led to you becoming a part of his plans as well.”

“Something I learned all too well last night.” Celestia noted. “He was trying to plan out everything to the smallest detail, it was a bit unnerving.”

“He is always five steps ahead of every creature, himself included.” Genevieve said with light laugh. “I tried to warn him that things may not go as he intended… be he either was unable to or unwilling to accept that. It was always his biggest weakness, before he does anything he spends hours formulating extensive plans about how he will go about it; musing over variables and possible outcomes as if life itself was an equation. It causes him great distress when things do not go as he imagines and he tends to go into panic attacks… it was much worse when we has younger.” She frowned. “We do our best to prepare him for things but some lessons can only be learned through experience.” She looked into Celestia’s eyes with utmost sincerity. “Please know that he didn’t mean any harm or to cause you so much trouble. For all the regality and intellect, at his core he is just a sweet griffon with his head in the clouds and his heart on his sleeve.” She chuckled. “Just like his father.”

Celestia let out a sharp gasp as realization entered her mind. “You… are his mother… aren’t you?”

“Yes, I am.” Genevieve nodded.

“He thinks you are dead.” Luna recalled the story he told them. “Why?”

“I know it sounds cruel to you, but I do it for his benefit.” Genevieve said surely. “I did not marry into the family, I too am a direct descendant of Guto which technically makes me the rightful heir to the throne.” She held her talon to her chest. “In my younger years, Griffonstone was not ready for us to return and I was certainly no ruler. It was decided that we would raise my child with the express intent of seeing him the one to return to Griffonstone and take the throne. As I was of royal blood, the only way to do so was to ensure that Gwyn would be the sole surviving member of the royal family. So, for Gwyn and for Griffonstone… I died.” She wiped a forming tear from her amber eye. “His father though… that was a tragedy we did not expect. That was the hardest point for me, seeing him in tears thinking his family gone but not being able to tell him the truth.”

“I can’t imagine what that must have been like.” Celestia said with a heavy heart. “But, why would you not tell him even now? Is keeping your lineage a secret so important?”

“You are old and wise, Princess; but you are not a mother. I cannot expect you to understand.” She gave the Princess a confident look. “A mother’s duty is to watch over her son, to see him safe as he grows and to teach him all he needs to know to become a strong and capable adult.” She smiled. “Is that not what I have been doing this whole time? I do not need the title of mother to be there for him as one. He has grown into an outstanding young griffon of which I am more proud than you could possibly imagine, telling him the truth now would change nothing. I am content to be there for him as I am.”

“You are a truly strong, Genevieve.” Celestia said, in awe of her character.

“Verily, hearing such a story makes the outcome of all this even more unfortunate.” Luna said with disappoint in her eyes.

“You worry about the treaties between our nations?” Genevieve inquired. “You needn’t do so, nothing has changed.”

“He hasn’t reconsidered?” Celestia asked.

“No, he would never allow his personal feelings to interfere with something so important to his fellow griffons.” She explained. “While I had no initial intent on playing a major role in this, he asked that I act as the liaison with Canterlot while he remains in Griffonstone so as to not cause you further distress. As long as you are still willing, everything will carry on as planned.”

“Well, I very much wish for things to continue.” Celestia said earnestly.

“That is good to hear, Princess.” She bowed. “Thank you for your time and know that I did not come here to try and make you reconsider your position, I only wanted you to know the full truth about Gwyn."

"That was quite the tale." Luna looked up at her sister.

“Luna, will you take care of things here for the time being. I…”

“I shall.” Luna cut her off with a smile. “Just go.”

“Thank you, Luna.” Celestia hugged her and teleported away.


Back in Griffonstone, Gwyn had excused himself from the day's work and rested on a cliff above the city. As his eyes wandered over the activity below, his mind was in constant replay of what had happened the day prior. The clacking of talons came from behind him as Gilda approached.

“Uh, Prince?” She softly called. “You’ve got a visitor.”

Gwyn rose and took a deep breath to settle himself. “Thank you Gilda, I will...” As he turned he immediately stumbled at the sight of Celestia. “Pr…Princess.” He stuttered, not knowing what to say.

“Gwyn, I had hoped we could talk.” She stepped closer to him.

“I would have thought Genevieve relayed the situation to you.”

“She did.” Celestia nodded. “But she also told me a deal more, about you and your own past.”

“I see.” Gwyn’s eyes lowered. “I did not wish for you to know the circumstances of my life. I didn’t want you to pity me or see me as some desperate youth, I wanted to earn your affection properly.” He sighed. “But I suppose it doesn’t matter now.” He looked back up at her. “Your words yesterday rang true, I was being foolish from the start in thinking that some creature you had never even met would be worthy of your love much less having you as his bride.”

“Gwyn, knowing what I know now I feel I understand you much better.” Celestia walked past him and towards the edge. “Jumping right to marriage was most certainly out the question, but there is something else...” She sat. “I wish to tell you something, something deeply personal. This happened after my sister’s banishment so not even she knows this story.”

Gwyn was shocked to hear this and sat beside her. “You would share such a thing with me?”

“Yes, because I want you to understand my past and I don’t want you to think that your feelings are meaningless to me.” She let out a long breath. “I had a very special somepony once, a long time ago. We were very much in love and it was everything a mare could hope for in a relationship; he was fun, passionate and he made me feel special for something other than just being a Princess. As time went on though, I began to notice something. He was getting older… and I was not.” She looked out over the city in bittersweet remembrance. “He began to notice too, that he was getting slower and less able to keep up with me in my busy life. I told him that I didn’t care, and I didn’t, but he did. He told me that it was unfair that somepony so lively and lovely should have to slow down for him… and he decided to leave.” She fought back a tear. “I was heartbroken, not only because the stallion I had loved for so long was gone but because I realized that there was no escape from that harsh reality of my life.” She looked down at him. “Ever since he left, I have never allowed myself to take another lover. The thought of watching another creature that I love so intimately, grow old before my eyes while I always stay the same terrifies me. Even after nearly a thousand years, I still don’t think I am strong enough to endure that pain again.”

Gwyn sat stricken at her story. “Princess, I am so sorry. I had not once considered such things from your standpoint.”

“It is alright, Gwyn.” Celestia promised. “It is something that only my sister and a scant few creatures in this world could understand.”

“In hearing it, I do understand.” Gwyn nodded. “I imagine you must feel every bit the same as your lover when approached by would be suitors. I could tell you a thousand times that such a thing mattered not to me, but it would matter to you, and that is what is most important.”

“Thank you, Gwyn.” She smiled. “I… still would like to give us a chance to be closer, but please understand that I need you to slow down. I’m not thinking about falling in love or marriage, and I don’t need to be showered with presents or huge displays. I just want to get to know you, the real you, not the you that you carefully planned on presenting to me." She put her wing to his back. "We’ve had a messy start, how about we start over as friends and go from there?”

“I would like that, Princess.” His cheerful spirit began to return.

Celestia turned to face him. “Aquamarine.”

“Princess?” He gave her a confused look.

“My favorite color, its Aquamarine.” She gave him a warm smile.

The bright energy returned to Gwyn’s eyes. “My favorite color is forest green.”

The two of them sat there for some time trading tidbits of information about one another. Gwyn, having learned a painful but valuable lesson, cherished the opportunity to begin anew with Celestia. At the same time, Celestia felt a weight lift as she fully opened herself to the idea of letting Gwyn in; and while nothing was set in stone between them, this was certainly a welcome start for the both of them.