• Published 1st Mar 2019
  • 4,050 Views, 351 Comments

Odyssey of a Thief - Carapace



Every action has consequences, no matter the intent. To clear her slate, Twilight Sparkle will go to any lengths to settle the score with Celestia, even if it means a fool's errand to a land ravaged by chaos.

  • ...
12
 351
 4,050

Web of Shadows: 3. The Mare Who Sang

Finding the long-dead thieves’ bags had taken considerably less effort and recollection than Twilight would have thought. If anything, she presumed Skittershy would’ve hidden them deep within the darkness of her cave, kept close by while she slept to ensure they wouldn’t be disturbed by any curious intruders or taken by an opportunistic thief, such as, admittedly, herself.

Instead, Skittershy fished them out from a little crevice in the wall a mere three steps to the left of the cave mouth, a sheepish grin spread across her face as she took note of Twilight’s deadpan look.

“I didn’t want to forget where they were,” the spider mare admitted, her cheeks flushing a deep pink. “And I didn’t want to make them think I was trying to lure them into my web if I invited them in, so I was just going to give it straight to them and let them be on their way.”

Twilight couldn’t fault the logic. Hay, if she’d been greeted by the spider mare and welcomed to walk into the cave like some sort of guest, she would’ve had to consider just which spell she might like to use to splatter her across the wall just in the event of treachery.

How very fortunate it hadn’t been.

As further penance, Skittershy had offered to help carry the bags in her hooves, a further testament to her strength. She’d also taken a few moments to fix up her mane—which Twilight noticed was a bit thin and wispy, not quite as full as a pony’s. Honestly, she dared wonder if it would feel like spider web if she ran a hoof through it—and try to hide her fangs. The former went considerably better than the latter.

Then came Skittershy’s executive decision to pick Twilight up by the scruff of her neck and place her upon her fuzzy back, right over a rather cutie mark-looking image of a pink butterfly.

“Excuse me!” Twilight had sputtered. “I can walk on my own!”

Skittershy then fixed her with a knowing look. “I know my strength well and I’ve seen you limping and wincing, Twilight. At very least, you pulled a muscle trying to act the part before your light trick.” She leaned back to nuzzle her mane softly. “You’ve been kind to my villagers and understanding toward my troublemaking bunny and me. Let me offer this as apology.” A playful twinkle shown in her eyes. “Of course, I could always just wrap you up like a certain misbehaving bunny and carry you anyway.”

Twilight would argue later that it was entirely her decision to take the spider mare’s gracious offer and not at all a lingering shivery feeling toward being stuck in that sticky prison again. Not at all. It certainly didn’t nag her enough to put the notion of testing what might happen if she simply flew in defiance to rest.

The fact that Skittershy wouldn’t stop giggling at the face she pulled hadn’t helped her self-esteem.

They made the journey down the mountain in rather good time, all things considered. That half a day trip Twilight had estimated was actually halved now that she had a guide who knew the lay of the land, not to mention the shortcuts through a few caverns which had gone unnoticed on the way up. Idly, Twilight noted the ease with which her guide and apparent caretaker navigated the terrain. No wonder she’d gone all those years playing hide and seek without ever being seen, even as she sang.

Though that did beg a certain question. One she couldn’t resist asking as they came to the path leading out of the forest and began to follow it toward Brickenbrack. “How long have you lived here, Skittershy?”

“Longer than I can put numbers to,” Skittershy replied. Sighing, she looked up, peering into the trees to smile at a family of blue jays. “Since after your princesses slew my family, I believe.”

“Ah.” Open mouth, insert hoof. “I’m sorry.”

Skittershy turned to nose her cheek. “Don’t be. My mother was cruel and evil, and so was my family. What they did to the ponies they came across as they tried to weave webs of darkness across the land sickens me to this day, and it sickened me enough then that I told your Sun Princess where to find them so it would end and I would be free.” She turned to face forward and bowed her head, her wispy pink main veiling her face. “I came here and found peace for centuries until the village was built. Then I fell in love with watching them and just decided I’d keep them safe. You see how that’s ended up falling apart.”

“Hey.” Twilight bumped her head against the back of the spider mare’s neck. “Don’t talk like that. You’re trying to set things right now. Let it play out and see what happens.”

“You didn’t see them that night.”

“You haven’t seen them since. Other than watching from afar, perhaps. I know how afraid they still are and I’m telling you not to lose hope.”

“Maybe.” Biting her lip, Skittershy glanced over her shoulder again. Her steps slowed. “But what if they don’t listen?”

Twilight offered a small smile. “Shouldn’t you give them a chance to decide?” she countered.

A low noise from the back of her throat betrayed her uncertainty. “But what if they see me and run away? Or hide in their houses?” Skittershy mumbled.

Blinking, Twilight thought a moment. Truth be told, she hadn’t really accounted for that. It was, admittedly, more a possibility than she might care to admit aloud. Worse still, there was little assurance to be offered.

The villagers just might run the instant they saw the pair step out of the forest.

Her smile faltered slightly. “I won’t pretend I know for certain it won’t happen,” she said softly. “But if it does, we’ll set their belongings down on the edge of town where they can all see. Then we let them see us leaving voluntarily. For their peace of mind and so they can maybe understand someday that you truly meant no harm.”

Skittershy came to a halt, her gaze straight ahead, peering through the trees. Following her gaze, Twilight could see why.

They were at the forest edge, and just ahead, Brickenbrack stood, bathed in the orange glow of the setting sun, awaiting their arrival. She could even see the ponies, gryphons, and cats milling about, some heading to that old bar.

The spider mare’s entire body began to shake, her ears splayed to lay flat against her mane. A keening whine built in her chest, sounding in the back of her throat. “I can’t!” she whispered. “I can’t face them!”

Twilight laid a hoof upon her shoulder. “Yes, you can, Skittershy.”

“How?” Again, she cast a look at Twilight. Her fear, her anxieties naked for the mare to see.

With a smile, Twilight nodded toward the village. “By taking a deep breath and walking a little further to drop off their things. You don’t even have to talk if you don’t want, we can just turn and leave after you set their bags down.”

Skittershy bit her lip, nodding slowly. “Okay,” she murmured. “I … I can do that. I think.” With a deep breath, she resumed her walk to Brickenbrack. The very hairs on the back of her neck stood on end with every step, and her shoulders shook as they made that final approach and came into view of the villagers.

Then the staring began.

Oh, heavens, did Twilight feel terrible watching. They all came out, some poking their heads out of windows or hiding behind barrels and stalls as they stared, jaws agape and eyes full of silent horror as the spider mare, one of the last of the great spiders of Gloomweaver’s line, walked into their impoverished village wearing a nervous grimace, all eight of her eyes wide with fright and with a tiny bunny on her shoulder, a familiar thief seated upon her back, and eight heavy bags clutched in her mighty hooves. One of the bags shifted open to reveal the slightest glimmer of gold coins and precious metal.

The villagers’ gasping nearly sucked the very air away.

Ahead, Twilight saw Brass Tap standing outside of his bar, gaping with his patrons and the foals huddled around them. So too had Skittershy, and the spider mare hesitated a step, a wanting whine escaping her lips before she started toward him.

He and the others took a step back as if to retreat into the bar, Skittershy stopped in her tracks and stood completely still save for her trembling shoulders.

Fortunately, Twilight was there to prod her along. “Skittershy, the bags,” she whispered in her ear. “Put the bags down, let them see what’s inside, then back away slowly.”

“Mmhmm!” The spider mare gave a jerky nod. Her hooves shaking terribly, she held them out, displaying the thieves’ bags full of stolen wares for all to see, so any who remembered that terrible night would know what she held. Then, slowly, she set them down on the ground and began to back away. She paused a few steps away, though, glancing up at Brass Tap and a few of the ponies she must have known so long ago. Skittershy brought her hooves together, rubbing them against her shins. “I-I-I’m sorry it t-took me so long,” she stammered, wringing her hooves. “Th-Those thieves c-came and I’ve had them, waiting for you to get them or trying to find it in me to bring them back, and I … I, um …”

The villagers made no move toward the bags, nor did any attempt to reply. They looked to one another, each searching for any with the courage to step forth and face her, or offer something in kind to convey a semblance of gratitude despite their fear.

Yet, they didn’t. They just stared, even Brass Tap—especially, he!—looked as though he’d rather fall faint and embrace unconsciousness than see the fidgeting spider mare who’d entered their village. The very same who’d watched over them for centuries without their knowing.

Twilight couldn’t just let it stand without saying something.

She hopped down from her place on Skittershy’s back, earning a gasp from the villagers and a whimpered complaint about further injuring herself as she nimbly bounced away before the spider mare could catch her and return her to her seat, safe and sound. Twilight gestured to the bags, then to the quivering spider mare. “Her name is Skittershy,” she announced for all to hear. “She’s lived here longer than this village has stood and watched over you longer than you’ve ever known. Fifty years ago, those thieves took from a village she loved despite never living in it and tried to hide in her cave. What your parents saw and you heard that night was indeed her attacking them, but not out of cruelty. Out of temper and wrath because they hurt those she held dear.” Her eyes found Brass Tap’s. “Even those who never knew the mare singing in the forest was really a spider who loved watching little ones laugh and play while they tried so dearly to find her.”

Silenced reigned. Twilight bit the inside of her cheeks, looking about in hope that she might find somepony, anypony who heard her words and took heed.

Each pony, cat, or gryphon she locked eyes with looked down at the ground, some even turned away or began to edge behind one of their fellow villagers. The foals, those same foals who so readily ran up to greet her after she returned from Erebark, whimpered and pressed up against the adults’ legs.

Terrified. Distrusting.

Beside her, Skittershy sniffled. “I’m sorry,” she whispered, her voice carrying through the silence as she lowered her head. “I’m so sorry I scared you. I’m sorry I came here and scared you again, but I couldn’t … I had to give it back somehow. D-Don’t worry. After this, you’ll—you’ll never see me again, I promise.” The poor spider brushed a hoof across her eyes to chase away the tears. With her other, she reached out to touch Twilight’s shoulder, gripping it for support. “L-Let’s go. We’ll leave, just like you said.”

“Yeah.” Twilight turned to walk away with the weeping spider mare, only to let out a squeak as she found herself picked up in one hoof and set upon her back once again. This time, however, she made no attempt to argue. Instead, she simply laid a hoof upon Fluttershy’s shoulder, rubbing it gently. The only thing she could think to do.

With one last bow of her head, Skittershy backed away from the bags, then turned to hurry along, eager to escape the fearful, distrusting gazes of the ponies she’d watched grow and play for so long.

Twilight chanced a look around her shoulder, pain piercing her chest as she saw tears rolling freely down her cheeks. She leaned in, touching her nose against the back of Skittershy’s neck. “I think you did the right thing.”

“Y-Yes.” Skittershy sniffled, wringing her hooves again. “Yes, I … I know. I know I did, even if it took me so long and I needed you to push me.”

The pain bit deeper. Nuzzling a slow circle, Twilight hugged her from behind. “I’m sorry, Skittershy. I’m so sorry.”

Skittershy stopped halfway between the forest and Brickenbrack. She turned, looking at Twilight through tear-filled eyes, and offered a weak smile. “Oh. Oh, Twilight.” The spider snaked her hooves under Twilight’s armpits and lifted her off her back, turning to face forward. She wrapped the smaller mare in a tight embrace, nuzzling her nose. “Don’t apologize,” she said, her voice straining. “You pushed me to face my fears and do the right thing, even after I tried to hurt you. Don’t ever apologize for that or let me hear you’ve thought of it, you sweet, wonderful mare.”

From his spot on his caretaker’s shoulder, Angel Bunny hopped up to land on the end of her nose. He leaned in, regarding Twilight sternly for a moment. Then, he let out a tiny sigh and patted the end of her snout, smiling at her before he bounced back to his spot and leaned against Skittershy’s cheek.

The spider giggled despite her tears. “He likes you,” she said. “I think he’s rather glad he shot those pebbles at you after all this.”

“You know what?” Twilight smiled back at him. “I think I’m glad he did too. I’d never have made friends with you—or imagined I could befriend a spider. But I guess that’s the least crazy thing I’ve done.”

Humming, Skittershy gave her a little squeeze. “Friends,” she murmured as if testing the word. “I like the sound of that, I think. I’ve only had one.” She drew back to nuzzle and fix Twilight with an amused look. “Though, now you’ve made me curious. What’s the craziest thing you’ve done, little Princess of Thieves?”

“Well, you won’t believe it, but that lover I mentioned is a—”

A giant shadow passed over them, like a great bird flying overhead. Screams and shrieks of utmost terror, the likes of which could only come from the mouths of ponies in the very face of death itself.

Somewhere in the back of Twilight’s mind, she knew, even before she heard the sudden crash of those massive talons hitting the ground or the very world around her shaking as her lover sauntered up, her tail lashing gaily.

“Dar~liiiiiiing!” Hadkhûna sang as she walked up to the pair, her sapphire eyes closed and a confident, fanged grin splitting her great muzzle. “Apologies for the delay, my dear gem, but I had quite a time making my selection! However, I’ve found something quite lovely and fitting for you, little thief of my heart!” She stopped just before them, opening her eyes at last to fix Twilight with a smoldering look that made her heart flutter and cheeks burn. Then she noticed Skittershy.

Her jaw dropped.

For a moment, Twilight felt her blood freeze in her veins. How must it look to Hadkhûna, to see her in another’s embrace? She tried to think of something, anything to excuse herself. A thousand and one explanations vied for supremacy.

“Hadkhûna?” Skittershy breathed. “You’ve come out of your mountain!”

“And you’ve come out of yours!” Hadkhûna beamed. She hurried forward, sweeping both mare and spider into her embrace, she nuzzled Skittershy’s head. “Oh, darling! You look positively radiant! I haven’t seen you in centuries!”

Giggling, Skittershy leaned into her touch. “Not since you visited before you burned down the last village at least!” She drew back, tilting her head. “How do you know Twilight?”

“I could ask the same of you, dear! Here I come, expecting to find my little gem and lavish her with affection as I bestow my gift upon her, and I find her embracing an old friend of mine!” A deep rumble of approval sounded within her chest. “My love and my old friend here with me! I could sing like the day I watched that Night Princess put my detestable father to rest!”

“Wait.” This time, it was Skittershy’s turn to gape. She looked between Twilight and Hadkhûna, a shaking hoof gesturing to each in turn. “You two? This is your lover?”

Twilight ducked her head. “Uh, I was getting to that.” Grinning sheepishly, she added, “Surprise?”

All eight of the spider mare’s eyes blinked. “You’ll have to tell me how this happened,” Skittershy muttered. “A thief and Hadkhûna. What is this world coming to?”

“A thief, Hadkhûna, and Skittershy out of her cave,” the she-dragon corrected. “Speaking of, what are you doing out and about, dear? Visiting your ponies? How bold! I’m quite proud!”

“Oh, um. Not quite.” The spider gave a nervous grin. “I, um, was just leaving. We had a bit of a disagreement a while ago, so … I said I’d leave.”

Hadkhûna blinked once. That pleased rumble turned into a low growl full of wrath. “Oh, really?” she hissed, casting a glance at the village. Tendrils of smoke began to pour from her nostrils. “Let’s just see about that after I have a word with them!”

Those screams returned, and with them a clamor of wooden doors shutting as the villagers tried to hide.

A vain attempt, of course. Nothing would save them if Hadkhûna got started.

“Hadkhûna, no!” Skittershy shrieked, beating her hooves against the she-dragon’s massive chest. “Leave them alone! You burned the last one to the ground because that stallion threw a spear at me! All they’ve done is be afraid because of a misunderstanding! I’m leaving so they can be happy!”

The she-dragon looked down at her, arching her brow. “Truly?” she asked, breathing smokey breath. Her blazing sapphire eyes flitted to Twilight. “Darling?”

Twilight was quick to nod her head and take up the call. “She’s telling the truth,” she said hurriedly. “I convinced her to bring their belongings down and return them. When they were still afraid, she promised to leave so they could have peace.”

“Y-Yes!” Skittershy bobbed her head. “S-So, Angel and I will be leaving this place. And we’ll find a new home. Somewhere. I don’t know where, but we will!”

Hadkhûna’s brow arched higher. “I see.” She shot one last look at the village, blowing a snort through her nose. “Well, it’s their loss,” she muttered more to herself. To Skittershy, she said, “Come with us, then.”

“What? Oh, I appreciate that, but I couldn’t—”

“My gem and I are on the road to Canterlot anyway. We’ll find you someplace, I’m sure.”

“But I couldn’t impose!”

“I insist. You wouldn’t be.”

Her cheeks burning pink, Skittershy ducked her head and tried to hide in Twilight’s mane. “I-I suppose if you’re both okay with it, I could.”

Twilight could feel her turn to look down at her. She squirmed beneath both creatures’ gazes and said, “W-well, I’m always happy to have another friend along.”

“My sentiments exactly.” Hadkhûna smirked. “And it’ll give both of you time to tell me just how you two met and got so—ahem—comfortable.”

Both Skittershy and Twilight froze. They shared a look, nervous smiles splitting their faces.

Hadkhûna’s smirk turned almost vulpine. “She tried to steal and you chased her?” she supplied. “And caught her?”

“Er, I may have also threatened to eat her.”

“Oh, dear. My dear, little gem, what ever will I do with you?”

“H-Hey!” Twilight wiggled about in the embrace, unable to escape their inequinely strong grips. “How is this my fault? I was getting your gift!”

“I’m sure. Speaking of—” Hadkhûna reached back and plucked something wrapped in cloth out from beneath her spines, bringing it into view to present to Twilight. “For you, darling. I hope you like it.”

Curious, Twilight lit her horn to undo the wrapping. As the cloth fell away, she found herself met with the a sizable gem in the shape of a starburst, a shade somewhere between purple and vibrant red. Amethyst.

“Oh my!” Skittershy brought a hoof to her mouth. “It’s beautiful!

It most certainly was! And, oh, did it sparkle enough to steal her very breath away! “Where did—”

“Erebark, of course,” Hadkhûna replied. “As soon as we parted, I began to think of what to give the little gemstone who warms my black heart, and I thought on your eyes—and why not? Though you say mine are lovely, like sapphires, yours are just as stunning and brilliant as that very amethyst. It was well worth the time it took to search my mountain.” Grinning, she let out a contented rumble and leaned in to lick Twilight’s cheek. “And, I must say, it pales in comparison to the one you’ve given me.”

Blinking, Twilight thought to the topaz necklace and earrings in her pouch. “Er … I haven’t given you yours yet.”

“You silly mare, yes you have.” Again, Hadkhûna licked her cheek. Then, she turned to give one to Skittershy as well, drawing a squeal and fit of giggles. “You’ve given me the chance to see a dear old friend and have her along with us on the road to Canterlot. What more could I want of you?”

Her cheeks burned anew, her heart fluttered within her chest and drew her lips to spread into a wobbly smile as she buried her face between warm scales and fuzzy chest to hide herself. Damn that dragon knowing her every weakness! Worse, now she had a new problem:

What the hay was she going to do with that stupid necklace and earrings?