• Published 1st Mar 2019
  • 4,040 Views, 351 Comments

Odyssey of a Thief - Carapace



Every action has consequences, no matter the intent. To clear her slate, Twilight Sparkle will go to any lengths to settle the score with Celestia, even if it means a fool's errand to a land ravaged by chaos.

  • ...
12
 351
 4,040

Red Sky of Morning 3: Melodía Kalaigías

The walk through Thunder Bay’s little town was haunting to say the least. The town itself wasn’t quite a ghost town, far from it in fact. There were shops, stalls, even a well at the center, but no creature there to greet her. Not even the sound of foalish laughter.

Perhaps, she thought, because they were all smarter than whatever fool would be out in the open when a storm siren had come to call.

With that cheerful thought in mind, Twilight trotted briskly through town, idly plucking the wooden bucket off the edge of the well and giving it a look. Full to the brim! Some creature had been fetching water when Melodía had shown up.

Twilight took a quick sip of water, then set the bucket down on the edge of the well. She took a deep breath and set her jaw. In for a bit, in for a bag. She ascended those stone steps slowly, her her hooves trembling the closer she came to the summit. Her mind raced, frantically trying to cobble something together to keep herself alive.

Could a storm siren be distracted by flattery? Blinded by light? No, that last one was stupid. Melodía was the oldest and greatest of them all and she heralded lightning, of course that wouldn’t work.

Maybe if Twilight were desperate. Melodía did seem to have a thing for boasts, much as the old powers in legends always did.

At last, she reached to top of the stairs and set her hooves on the cold, wet cobblestone. Twilight glanced about, taking stock of the tower—well, it was less a tower, more a lookout post build on a nice, flat portion of the ridge overlooking the town. The structure itself was, interestingly enough, quite well kept. There was little sign of wear or tear on the stones, it looked to be recently swept clean, and in the old Hellasine pillars, she could see depictions of Ouránio Toxo singing with her daughters and the storms their songs wrought.

Behind her, of course, she could see out over the little town and all of Thunder Bay. She could even see Hadhkûna’s distant form pacing on The Skylark’s deck while Skittershy tried to keep pace. On the other side, however, awaited a sight that, despite the situation, stole Twilight’s breath away.

The Fountain of Astrapí was not, as she expected, some little marble fountain sitting in the middle of some clearing or town square. No, the fountain itself was a large natural basin where the mountains met and trapped the waters of those great storms. A staircase set on other side of the tower led to a white stone landing—or, more aptly, a dais—with a lone bucket waiting near the shallows. A place where the townsfolk would come to pay tribute to the opulent statue of a tall mare in Pegasopolean battle armor with wings spread situated at the very center and wash themselves with the rainwater she brought with each storm.

Ouránio Toxo once again.

The Storm Mother’s presence was quite real in the hearts and minds of the inhabitants. Then again, with Melodía flying about singing storms whenever she pleased, who could blame them?
A rustle of wings drew a little flick of her ears. Twilight turned just in time to see Melodía Kalaigías descend from a little patch in the storm clouds swirling over the island. Sunlight filtered down like a natural spotlight to herald her arrival as she touched down upon one of the pillars on the far side of the tower with a gleam in her eyes and a smirk playing upon her lips.

Melodía gave a little hum, the clouds above closed like a curtain and chased the sunlight away, shrouding them in the darkness of a deep storm waiting.

The telltale rumble of thunder made it quite clear the storm was just as eager to begin as its herald.

“Ah! You made good time, little mare!” Melodía beamed, then paused a moment and chuckled. “Little alicorn, I should say! Your sort is awful rare, after all. I only knew of three before I met you!”

Twilight’s mind raced. “Y-You know Cadence, Celestia, and Luna?”

The storm siren fluffed her feathers. “Oh, you know them by name! Does that make you … y’know?”

Gritting her teeth, Twilight nodded grudgingly. An act which only served to make a smile flash across the mare’s face like chain lightning.

“Ohohoho! That just makes my storm getting ruined worth it! Wait ‘till I tell mom!” Melodía laid down atop that pillar and let her forelegs droop idly over the edge, tracing a little circle in the stone just above one of the storm cloud carvings. Her eyes glittered, piercing into Twilight’s very soul. “I never asked your name,” she murmured after a moment.

“I’m sorry?” Twilight blinked.

“Your name, little alicorn. I can hardly call you that while you answer my challenge. I’m many things, rude, though, I am not. Mom would fry my hide with a lightning bolt if she heard I didn’t ask.” Propping a hoof beneath her chin, Melodía fixed Twilight with a half-lidded look. “So before I tell you my challenge, I’d like to know your name, if you’d be so kind. One mare’s courtesy to another.”

“Courtesy? I’m … pretty sure you’re about to tell me exactly how you’d like to kill me with that challenge.”

Melodía simply shrugged. “I could just kill you here and now and forget about the challenge, then go sink that creaking tub you were on.”

Well, that was a point Twilight certainly couldn’t refute.

The young mare blew a breath through her nose and held a hoof out in a vague little half-wave. “I am Twilight Sparkle,” she answered with a little bow of her head. “Princess of Thieves by choice, but back home, my title is Princess of M—” she hesitated a moment, her eyes flitting this way and that as she bit her lip.

“Yes?” Melodía purred, leaning forward. “Go on.”

She had two titles back home. One would do just fine. “Princess of Friendship,” Twilight finished, giving a sheepish little smile.

The storm siren wrinkled her nose. “I think I prefer Princess of Thieves. It’s more impressive. And fitting, if the stories I’ve heard are true.”

“Thank you!” Someone got it! Someone actually got it! Twilight could’ve walked right over and hugged her, challenge or not! Why, she even beamed!

Then everything came to a halt.

How had a storm siren heard of her?

The slow, wicked grin spreading across Melodía’s features sent a chill down Twilight’s spine. The storm siren rose, her feathers fluffing and twitching eagerly as she began to speak, “I’ve heard of the little mare who tricked Fido’s pups and sought to enter a dragon’s domain, the mare who came from far off lands after stealing the greatest prizes history ever had to offer. Quite unlike my, ahem, ex, I take the tales of your deeds quite differently, Princess of Thieves. In fact, I’m a lot like those mortal sailors who worship and pray to my mom”

Lightning flashed through the sky. Those cerise eyes sparkled with utmost delight. “I love a good rebel’s story. But what I love more is a rebel who can back up her mouth. So, here’s my challenge: you and I in single combat. If you win, you’ll have my guarantee that you and your companions sail on with clear skies and fair winds all the way home.” She rose slowly to a chorus of thunder. “Admittedly, I don’t like your odds there.”

Twilight took a step back. Maybe she should’ve told Hadhkûna to circle around and see about catching this storm siren from behind. “And if you win?”

When I win,” Melodía corrected her, “I think I’m going to take you back to my palace in the clouds and keep you. A little alicorn trophy to sing for me when I please. If you survive, that is.” She shrugged again. “If not, I’ll just sink that silly tub like I said and whip up a storm for Port Sommerset to let them know they’ve lost a ship by Fate’s will.”

A lump caught in Twilight’s throat. A lifetime singing for a storm siren’s amusement or the deaths of some forty-odd pegasi, her lover, and her friend.

And, well, her own, obviously.

Not exactly favorable for her want to avoid violence.

With a sigh, Twilight undid her cloak’s fasten and removed her pouches, setting them aside in a neat little pile by the wall. Then she fixed Melodía Kalaigías with a hard look and lowered herself into a challenging crouch, her wings flaring out wide.

“Good girl.” A glint of approval shone in those dangerous eyes. Behind her, lightning flashed again. Twilight could feel the electricity making her coat stand on end, her chest tingling as Melodía grinned and shouted, “Start!”

Melodía didn’t simply leap off her perch and fly at Twilight, she closed the distance between them before the young mare could even think to intercept. Her manic grin almost splitting her face as she drew a hoof back and aimed a punch at Twilight’s face.

The Princess of Thieves only just managed to duck and twist herself out of the way, letting the storm siren pass overhead. As she rose, Twilight cast a quick shield spell to intercept a follow-up one-hoofed buck that would’ve caught her square in the nose and was promptly sent skidding backward for her trouble. Her eyes went as wide as dinner plates.

A buck like that with only one hoof? Such force would’ve surely curved her face inward!

So surprised was Twilight that she didn’t notice the way Melodía spun gracefully one one hoof and aimed a back-hoofed slap across her face that sent her entire world spinning and sent her senses haywire. Color faded, the entire right side of her face erupted in stinging pain, numb just along her jaw, all as the familiar taste of copper bled into her mouth.

Oh, and the ringing in her ears was just delightful.

“Not a bad start! But you’d better be quicker, Twilight Sparkle!” Melodía closed the distance between them again and nearly took her head off with an uppercut, if not for a timely leap backward. The storm siren cackled and gave chase, her eyes alight. “Can’t beat me if you keep running away!”

True, Twilight realized even as she had to raise a shield to fend off another flurry of blows, her eyes flitting this way and that to try and keep up. If she kept letting herself be pushed back, there was no chance she’d beat Melodía. A creature this old and powerful didn’t earn their reputation by being a pushover. Still, trying to counter her physically was foolish, even with her strength. Her aching face was a testament to that.

She needed a plan.

In a flash of raspberry light, Twilight teleported herself across the tower. As soon as she got there, she readied a spell and fired it straight at the pursuing storm siren’s face without a second’s hesitation. Surely, at her speed, there was no way she could dodge at that range.

Melodía’s grin only widened like she never got tired of somepony trying that same play.

She moved almost casually, leaning to one side to begin a turn, then banked herself around the magic lance Twilight had fired so she continued on her path upside-down and lashed out at Twilight’s face again. Only another timely teleport saved the mare from a punch that would’ve sent her flying.

This time, as Twilight popped back into existence, she was greeted by a sudden explosion of thunder not from above, but across the tower. A jagged bolt of pure light slithered through the air at her like a hungry python, she let out a yelp and teleported again, appearing once more in time to see it hit the rocks behind her former position and carve an ugly scar in the surface.

Lightning? She felt her blood turn cold. Slowly, she swallowed. “She can use lightning without singing. Of course she can. Why not? This isn’t one-sided enough.”

Another explosion of thunder was all the warning she had before pain devoured her entire world and her vision went blue. Tendrils of lightning arched over her body, her muscles spasmed and limbs flailing, a cry tore from her throat as her eyes squeezed shut. Vaguely, Twilight realized she was falling. Falling farther than she should have.

Through the throughs of agony, she managed to crack open her eyes and see the edge of the tower above and rapidly retreating.

Oh, she’d been shot off the tower. That, to her addled brain as it struggled to reboot, made perfect sense.

Unfortunately, her brain didn’t rejoin the world fast enough to realize that falling meant a rather hard impact on the stone pathway below. Thus Twilight didn’t get to try right herself or flap her wings to ease her fall before she hit the ground with a sickening smack of flesh upon stone. That blasted ringing in her ears grew louder, more shrill. With a groan, Twilight feebly tried to roll onto her belly so she could rise. She bit her lip, tears stinging her eyes as her entire body protested her every move, doubly so when she began to push herself to her hooves.

The sound of hooves landing on the stone pathway with a light clopity-clop made her ears flick. It was all the warning she had before another explosion rang out and a bolt of caught her square in the chest.

Agony was all she knew until her body landed in the shallows of the Fountain of Astrapí.

“Come on, Twilight Sparkle! Up!” she heard Melodía’s taunt as though it came through a thick fog. “You started off great, just like all those stories I heard! Where’s that power and ingenuity? That brilliant wit?” The sound of electricity coursing over her body filled the air. “At this rate, I might as well pick out the manacles to keep my little singing alicorn.”

Manacles. Singing. Right, if she lost, Melodía had vowed to make Twilight her personal singer in her palace. And she’d sink The Skylark with everypony aboard—including Hadkhûna and Skittershy.

Twilight’s eyes snapped open, she leveled the storm siren with a heated glare.

“Ah!” Melodía’s ears perked up. Lightning flashed behind her, even as little tendrils of electricity danced across her coat. “There you are.”

There you are. Like she knows me. In the back of her mind, Twilight slowly put together a plan. Melodía was a powerful foe, the daughter of a goddess, but Twilight had gone up against Hadkhûna and Skittershy and survived with her wit, and her magical prowess had served her well against Fido and his rabble and countless others. Out of the corner of her eye, she glanced at that bucket and stealthily snaked a tendril of magic around the base to test its weight—full to the brim. Thank heavens for rushing townsfolk.

Oh, Melodía certainly stood head and shoulders above her in terms of power. But not brains.

Power without brains, as Luna used to say, is utterly useless and can be turned against the wielder with ease. And all that electricity, Twilight only just realized, wasn’t actually touching Melodía’s body.

It was dancing across the very tips of the hairs making up her coat, her mane, or even the little fibers of her feathers.

How very interesting.

Twilight charged her horn so it shone brighter than a miniature sun. All she had to do was get Melodía to believe she was putting everything into catching her with magic, then time her counterstrike just right …

The storm siren was done waiting. With a jubilant warcry, she launched herself at Twilight, closing the distance between them in a hurry once again. Just as before, when Twilight cast her spell, Melodía casually flipped herself over the beam and aimed another punch.

She didn’t notice Twilight hurling the bucket full of water at her, and, if she did, it never quite dawned upon the unfortunate storm siren what happened when water and electricity met.

All that electricity dancing across Melodía’s coat attacked her soaking body like a flurry of angry wasps. Her skeleton flickered in and out of view in an instant, her body arched and spasmed as a ragged gasp stole her breath, then a shrill cry of utmost pain followed in kind. The storm siren stumbled forward, still standing through the pain somehow. Whatever manner of inequine strength enabled her so, Twilight didn’t care. She had only sent a third of that spell for bait.

Twilight let out a furious cry and hit Melodía full in the face with the rest of her spell, the concussive blast sent her hurtling backward into the wall with enough force to put a crater a full hoof deep into the stone.

“There!” she grumbled, gasping desperately for breath. Her brows furrowing, Twilight snarled at the battered storm siren and tried to ignore her body begging her to just lay down and take a nice, long nap until all the pain went away. Not an option. “How’s that from running away, you smart-mouthed little—”

Melodía’s eyes snapped open. She leaned forward, her prismatic mane askew, and tugged herself free with a grunt. Landing on all fours, she locked eyes with Twilight and licked her lips. “Ow,” she murmured. “Actually, legitimately, ow. That hurt. My own lightning turned against me—pain and insult. Ow.”

Twilight took a step back into the shallows. Her mind racing, she made sure to keep her eyes locked with Melodía as she tried to slowly, subtly refill her bucket. That plan was a bit limited but it was all she—

The storm siren lashed out with a hoof and shot a lance of lightning which promptly blew the wooden bucket into a thousand tiny, smoldering cinders.

Well. It was all Twilight had before that.

“No, no, no, no, no. You don’t get to use that trick again. That hurt. That actually hurt me.” A wild, manic grin spread across Melodía’s features. Her eyes positively danced like—dare Twilight think it?—lightning across the sky. She took a step closer, her wings unfurling once more. “No mortal has hurt me since the days of Heraclopus, and even then, no mortal who wasn’t of divine bloodline.”

Twilight could feel her blood slowly turn to ice. Her tail began to tuck itself between her legs until she forced her posture straight.

There could be no sign of weakness or the storm siren would zap her in an instant.

“You,” Melodía continued, “a mortal, actually hurt me.” Lightning flashed around the fountain, as if caging them inside a ring. The storm siren threw back her head and laughed, a sound as wild and beautiful as the forces she controlled. Electricity began to leap across her coat once more. “Mom’ll kill me for saying it by her statue—but oh, fuck yes! Finally, one worth the effort!”

Another step back, deeper into the fountain. No bucket, not good. But Twilight wasn’t entirely out of options. The fountain itself could be a weapon, if she timed things right.

Quick as a flash, Melodía jabbed her hoof in Twilight’s direction and sent several thin prongs of lightning arcing and spreading through the air like spider webs. A quick teleport spared the young mare their touch, but as soon as she popped back into place just a few paces to her left, she found herself met with a solid double-buck to the chest, charged with pent up lightning, that sent her flying through the air.

She hit the statue of Ouránio Toxo and continued on through in a shower of opulent white stone. Across the fountain, she heard her foe groan, “Aw, Tartarus! Sorry, mom!”

The mare landed in the water with a gasp. Her hind legs twitching and wings stinging, she gritted her teeth and rolled over onto her belly again and stood. Twilight took a deep breath, eyeing Melodía for a second, and cast another spell.

“And she still rises! You’re a tough little—ack! Not that trick again!” Melodía pumped her wings, taking a hard left before she was caught in a geyser of water, then banked just in time to avoid a follow up that nearly caught her full in the face. She flipped herself onto the remains of her mother’s statue, grimacing as she let the lightning wreathing her body die down with a little ripple of thunder through the air. Ducking under a quick magical lance, she winked at Twilight and said, “Very well-played, Twilight Sparkle! Hows about we break for a little music?”

She drew in a deep breath, then began to sing again in that hauntingly beautiful voice. Words in that long forgotten language spilled forth from her lips like honey and filled Twilight’s ears with its warm sweetness, the sound so sweet she felt an odd sense of calm wash over her, she took a step toward the storm siren.

A roar of thunder jarred her from her stupor. Twilight shook her head and threw herself into a flying leap just as a bolt of lightning hit where she’d just been, a bubbling, hissing sound filling her ears as the water boiled. She banked again, avoiding another strike just enough that the very heat singed her feathers.

Something was different this time. The lightning called down from above was more ferocious, like Melodía had only been using some lesser power when she’d attacked before.

This was the oldest storm siren at her strongest—Melodía Kalaigías was done playing and ready to win her prize.

Twilight managed to teleport away just as a bolt came crashing down, and charged up another lance to give reply.

But Melodía was ready. With that wild grin, even in mid song, she jabbed her hoof and sent another bolt at Twilight, forcing her to cancel her spell and dive to her left.

Even singing she could hurl lightning like that?

Thinking quickly, Twilight circled around the singing storm siren, weaving about at random to make it that much more difficult to target her for another bolt. She charged her horn, focusing on the waters surrounding her opponent. If she couldn’t knock her off her perch, she could at least disrupt her singing. And thinking on it just a bit more, if she could soak Melodía again and trick her into hitting herself with lightning heralded by her song …

Bingo.

She waited for the perfect moment, just as the storm siren closed her eyes, lost in the rapture of her song and the storm it brought, and turned her head skyward. Twilight shot a jet of water straight into her mouth.

The effect was instantaneous. Coughing, sputtering, and staggering on the remnants of her mother’s statue, Melodía spat and shook her head. “Gack! What kinda dirty trick was that?” She aimed a glare at Twilight and hurled another lightning bolt, easily dodged. “You think you can just interrupt the song of Melodía Kalaigías in such a way, you little—garrabble!

Another jet of water caught her full in the face. Then another. Twilight hit her from all sides, every angle, thoroughly soaking her until her colorful, wild mane hung limp and clung to the either side of her face and her coat was matted. To add insult to injury, she reached out with her magic and scooped up the fountain’s water and lifted it up to form a great tidal wave which came down upon the indignant storm siren before she could think to retort.

It didn’t knock her off the statue, though. Melodía’s strength and balance was as constant as it had been earlier. But it did make those cerise eyes burn and wipe that grin off her face, a heavy scowl taking its place.

“That’s. It!” she snapped. Her eyes began to glow, that scowl slowly changed into a cold, evil smile. “I’m done playing with you! You wanna taunt me? Me? Eldest daughter of She Who Sang Storms Into Being? Fine! I’ll hit you with the biggest bolt I’ve got and what’s left of you will either sing for me or be my trophy!”

There it was. Exactly what Twilight needed.

She banked hard, shooting toward the furious storm siren as thunder crashed above. She narrowed her eyes, pinning her ears back to block out that sweet, melodious voice as Melodía took a breath and began to sing a song of wild fury—more akin to new age music back home than that haunting opera from moments ago.

Charging her horn with as much magic as she could muster for a pair of quick spells. Twilight would have to time it perfectly. If she failed, well, she’d be impressed if she woke up to find herself in manacles just in time to sing for her new mistress.
No pressure or anything.

She pumped her wings hard, picking up speed as she closed in. Melodía’s eyes snapped open, alight with wicked glee matched only by har manic grin as she thrust a hoof out to hurl another bolt.

Twilight wasn’t nearly as mobile as she, but teleportation was just as good a substitute.

A quick pop a few lengths ahead, after the bolt had past, halved the distance. She heard another crash of thunder, the very world around her lit up as lightning struck around them. Which could only mean there was one bound for her a half-second later, and Melodía had a hoof raised, ready to ward her off with another of her own—the storm siren meant to either catch her with a double dose or force her to slow and be caught in the big one.

Such a pity, for her, that Twilight’s plan didn’t involve charging and delivering that magical blast straight in her face.

Melodía Kalaigías didn’t even realize she wasn’t the target.

Twilight dove and rolled, splashing through the shallows as she tumbled on a path that carried her beneath the ruined statue of Ouránio Toxo. As she passed under, she caught a glimpse of her foe gaping down in shock and the telltale glow within those black clouds. Then, she was under.

Springing to her hooves, Twilight thrust her horn upward and let out a cry, loosing the full force of her remaining magic in one shot. There was a loud crack of shattering stone, a startled yelp, and whistling as the statue went flying straight up into the air.

Straight into that great lightning bolt meant to put Twilight Sparkle down for the count.

The crack and explosion of thunder shook her to the very bone. The sound echoed through the air like a shockwave, then there was silence.

Blissful, beautiful silence.

With a tired, pained groan, Twilight let herself slump to the side and fall upon the dais. She rolled onto her back, closing her eyes as she gasped and panted for breath, her chest heaving in desperate need to be filled. Every bit of pain she’d tried so hard to block out hit her like a freight train at full speed. Lightning, divine strength, a hit through a statue?

Twilight would wager she’d just tested the upper limits of alicorn hardiness. But, hey, victory had to come at some cost, right?

If her limbs could just suck it up and take it like a mare, she’d be delighted.

A whistling sound filled her ears. Twilight dared to crack open her eyes just in time to see a sky blue blur hit the dais with a splash and a sickening smack.

Unease crept into her chest. Slowly, she forced herself to shift, whining at the lance of pain that shot up her spine, to eye the fallen form of Melodía Kalaigías. The storm siren lay curled into a ball, her lovely white dress singed and thoroughly ruined, and her feathers smoking. Was she dead?

Twilight taste bile on the back of her tongue. If there was one thing she hated more than violence, it was those moments there was no simple putting an opponent down while she slipped away into the night. Those moments she had to look upon some creature she’d killed to save her own hide and others’.

Her regrets were dashed when the fallen storm siren let out a pained grunt and began to rise on shaky legs. Twilight felt her blood freeze, her heart gripped by the icy claw of sheer terror. She couldn’t breathe, she couldn’t dare even think to as Melodía Kalaigías, eldest and most powerful of all storm sirens, looked her in the eye and began to limp over. No doubt, a thousand deaths for the insolent little mortal who’d injured her so ran through that ancient mind.

Melodía stopped at Twilight’s side, gazing down upon her for a long moment. Then, with a ragged breath, she gave a tired smile and let herself fall onto her side once more, splashing Twilight with a few droplets of water. “Ow. Again. A lot of ow.” She winced. Facing Twilight, she blew a breath into the shallows. “Can you move?”

Nervously, Twilight swallowed and shook her head. Her body ached at the thought of even trying anything more.

“Mmm. Any spells you got left in you?”

Another shake. “I put everything into that last one.”

Snorting, Melodía closed her eyes. “That’s unfortunate. That little limp over was all I had too, and lightning right now seems like a really bad idea.” She groaned again, gritting her teeth. “Soaked and hit by my own lightning—freaking ow, mare! Those stories didn’t exaggerate your brains or power, but damned if they didn’t tell me you could take a beating and then some!” Opening her eyes once more, she gave that tired smile again and said, “Call it a draw, I guess.”

A draw?

Twilight would’ve laughed if her ribs didn’t ache so. “Then … what about the challenge?”

“Well. I didn’t beat you, so I’m sure not gonna sink that ship. Fate’ll get pissy and moan at mom.”

“Isn’t that a problem?”

“Fuck no. Mom hates him. If he says anything, she’ll ram a lightning bolt somewhere unpleasant.” That tired smile spread into a cocky smirk. “That son of a hydra’s been badgering us into whipping up storms to kill sailors, ruin cities, and sink ships for eons.”

“I see.” Twilight resigned herself to pretending she had any clue what that meant. Her eyes flitted between the storm siren and those black, rumbling clouds she’d sung up. “So … you’ll sing that storm away?”

“Huh? Oh, right. Gimme a sec.” With a grunt, Melodía rolled onto her back and lay spread eagle, gazing up at her storm almost longingly, as though she were admiring her own artwork. The storm siren closed her eyes and began to sing a calming melody in that ancient tongue, heralding a feeling of utmost bliss and warmth into Twilight’s heart.

Oh, Celestia, she could listen to that voice forever and never tire.

Above, she watched in utmost awe as the dark clouds began to thin and pull apart like a foal tugging at cotton swabs. That mighty storm died before Melodía had even finished her song, and peace reigned over the heavens.

The storm siren finished moments later, her voice trailing off in a little warble that made Twilight’s heart skip a beat. Giving a happy little hum, Melodía murmured, “There. That one was for you, Twilight sparkle.” Then she looked down at her charred gown and frowned. “Oh, come on! You ruined my gown, too! This was my favorite one!”

Twilight snorted and laughed. She couldn’t help it, everything about her life was absurd at this point—a dragon lover, a spider mare for a friend, and a storm siren whining about a charred gown after an all out fight.

Why not?

“Yeah, yeah, yuck it up.” Melodía rolled over and on top of Twilight’s belly, her mirth dying in the back of her throat as she found herself nose to nose with the storm siren. A gentle hoof caressed her cheek, those gorgeous eyes met hers in a half-lidded look. She smelled rather nice, actually—like rainwater and ozone.

And there was a little bit in Twilight’s heart hoped she started singing again.

“I haven’t had a tilt like that in three thousand years. Heraclopus still won’t shut up about breaking my jaw,” Melodía whispered, softly nosing Twilight. “ Such a pity I don’t get to take you back to my palace now, but I guess I’ll just have to keep you all the same.”

“What?” Twilight blanched. “But you said—”

“Yes, yes, you’ll have clear skies all the way home. I’ll make sure of that personally. After all …” With a throaty purr, she turned her head and closed the distance between them, capturing Twilight’s lips in a heated kiss. So stunned was the pinned mare that she simply sucked in a deep breath, her eyes fluttering as she felt that sweet, warm tongue slip into her mouth to play with her own.

Oh, Celestia, her face felt so hot she could’ve fried an egg.

All too soon, the kiss ended. Their noses still touching and lips still teasing together as Melodía whispered, “You’re just my type, and I think I’m in love.”

Twilight would try her best to pretend her breath didn’t hitch in her chest as the storm siren leaned in for another kiss, but she couldn’t ignore the longing in her heart.

Nor could she pretend she didn’t wrap her aching hooves around Melodía’s neck and purr into that second kiss. This one, she hoped, would last quite a while longer. Only in the back of her mind did she realize that Hadkhûna was going to be furious. But that, she reasoned, was future Twilight’s problem.

Melodía’s talented tongue did well to put that one on hold for the time being.


The walk through that dreary town was certainly awkward, in no small part because, when they at last broke their kiss and rose, Melodía threw a wing over Twilight’s shoulders and refused to remove it.

“Just had a fight as good as I’ve had with any demigod,” she crowed, a smug smirk playing upon her lips as she leaned in to kiss the corner of Twilight’s mouth. The storm siren leaned up to purr in her ears, “If you think I’m letting go of you, you’re nuttier than an oak tree in spring!”

Two sides waged war within Twilight for facial expression supremacy—logic demanded that she grimace knowing that any chance of disguising this new relationship from Hadkhûna at least until she could talk her into a good mood, but affection …

Well, she managed to meet both halfway by sucking in her lips and ducking her head to hide the blush as she muttered something about picking up her cloak and pouches on their way up to the tower. It just wouldn’t do to leave all those little trinkets she’d collected behind after all the trouble she’d gone to getting them.

Fortunately, Melodía had no problem with such a detour. It allowed her that much more time to smirk and eye Twilight like she were appraising something spectacular and pester her with questions.

Oh, Celestia, were there so many questions.

“When did you first start stealing things?”

“When I was a filly,” Twilight admitted as she buckled her pouch belt and tugged it tight. “I stole the Heart of the Sea out from under Celestia’s nose and nearly started a diplomatic incident with the Hippogriffs.”

“Whoa! Sweet! Why’d you take it?”

Why? Twilight had to think back a bit. She slipped her cloak on and hummed a low note. “I think because it was shiny and I wanted something pretty for my room.”

The storm siren snorted and draped her wing across Twilight’s back again, almost as if to reel her back in after allowing her a moment’s freedom. “So, not-so-humble beginnings for the Princess of Thieves. Fitting.” She raised her brows. “So, from stealing the Heart of the Ocean to taking a trip into Erebark? Why?”

A hint of a grimace flitted across Twilight’s face. She still wasn’t technically done with that one. “Settling debts with Celestia in exchange for my slate being wiped clean.”

“Fair enough. Okay! Juicy stuff now! How much truth is there to that rumor about you and that changeling—”

“Could we not?” Twilight stomped a hoof on the cobblestones. Memories of that little misadventure flashed before her eyes. “I’d rather not talk about changelings, please.”

“Aw, c’mon! I don’t judge! I’ve had more than a few flings in four thousand years or so!” Melodía pulled her in close and nuzzled just beneath her ear. “Some with a couple changelings, too. Though, I’m not sure I’d have gone your route and played with that one if I were a mortal.”

A shiver ran down her spine. Twilight was quick to steer the conversation elsewhere, to a few of her personal favorite escapades. Anything to get out of reliving that ill-fated evening.

By the time they reached the docks, Twilight half expected to see Hadkhûna’s great head tracking her progress, those sapphire eyes of hers alight with fury seeing her under the wing of another mare, let alone the one who’d threatened to kill them hours prior. Instead, there was no sign of her lover, nor of Skittershy.

Curious.

Deep in the pit of her stomach, a pang of worry gripped her. What if Hadkhûna’s sea-sickness had returned with vigor? She bit her lip and quickened her pace, eager to get to Hadkhûna’s side again even if it meant an unpleasant confrontation. The young mare all but dragged Melodía down the last leg of the dock and up the gangplank, her throat tightening as she made it to the deck.

There Hadkhûna lay on her belly with her claws over her face, a very uneasy Captain Headwind by her side, and a barrel resting within easy reach. The she dragon let out a deep groan and cursed. “Oooooh! That blasted meat just isn’t agreeing with me at all!”

“Er. There, there?” Headwind looked as though he’d rather fly than be anywhere near her, glancing impatiently at the cargo hold. “I’m sure Miss Skittershy will be able to find that soda water. The fizz will help. Hopefully.”

“I certainly hope so—urrg! Pardon me, dear. You’ll let me know the instant my darling Twilight returns, yes? This whole mess is just aggravating my illness.”

There were times Twilight’s distaste for violence was put on hold and she so longed to meet whoever had cursed her with such a talent for getting into trouble. She could take that creature out to dinner, perhaps have a nice little chat, maybe some dancing, and then she’d slam them face-first into a wall as hard as possible until they found some other mare to bother.

This moment, in particular, became one of those times. If only because a certain storm siren just had to open her mouth.

Melodía burst out laughing and stomped upon the deck. “Wait, wait! You’re dating her too?” she asked with a grin. “Oh, Twilight Sparkle, you’re a wilder mare than I thought! This is gonna be epic!”

Before Twilight could correct her and try to save face by scolding, Hadkhûna jolted upright and turned to see just who dared say such a thing. “Too?” she growled, eyeing Melodía with utmost disdain. “And just who in heaven’s name are you to lay claim to my gemstone?”

“Melodía Kalaigías. Eldest daughter of Ouránio Toxo and most powerful of the storm sirens.” The wing around Twilight’s shoulders tightened, a wicked smile played upon Melodía’s lips. “Who’re you to lay claim to the best fighter and banterer I’ve seen in three thousand years?”

“Hadkhûna.” Smoke began to waft from her nostrils. Headwind wisely chose to scamper off and away from the pair before the fighting began. “Queen Under the Mountain and Harbinger of Destruction.” Her claws dug deep grooves into the deck. “And though there is one creature whom I would consider sharing my gemstone with, you are most certainly not her!”

“Er, Hadkhûna,” Twilight cut in. A wooden smile stretched across her features. She’d just gotten done fighting, why were they starting up for another round? “Maybe we could all just sit down and I’ll explain. It’s a funny thing, really, kind of like how you and I … y’know.”

Unfortunately, Melodía had no intention of backing down. Instead, she smirked, her ears waggling. “Oh, now I remember you!” she crooned. “It’s been some time, little one! I remember when you were just a little welp hiding behind big daddy Enzun Onuzn’s ankles. Such a darling little thing,” she teased, mocking Hadkhûna’s tone.

To Twilight’s surprise, her love recoiled. The color drained from her face. “You … knew my father?”

“Yeah. My sisters and I used to love smacking him around whenever he got uppity. Then he mouthed off about his hard-on for immolating everything ever, so mom punted him out of what became Equestria and across the sea, and told him that if he ever tried crossing it, she’d send what was left of him after she finished to feed my uncle’s subjects in the deep.” That smirk took on a dangerous edge. “Got to watch that Moon Princess finish him off, too. Put a storm on pause so I could enjoy a front row seat to that magic trick.”

Hadkhûna’s eyes flashed. She snarled, spewing smoke through the cracks between her teeth as her belly took on a deadly orange glow. A rumble of thunder sounded above.

Oh. Oh, Celestia no.

Twilight slipped out from under her wing and put herself between the pair. “Both of you stop it now or … or…” She’d what? What could she do to break up a fight between an immortal and dragon?

Naturally, it was at that precise moment Skittershy climbed out of the cargo hold and skittered her way across the deck, rolling a barrel toward her friend. “Sorry it took so long! I had to go slow so those nice sailors didn’t think I was rushing them or trying to bind them up, even if they did look like they could use a nice, snug place to nap.” She glanced up, blinking in surprise at the sight of her friend up and about. Then she began to follow her gaze, beaming at the sight of Twilight alive and whole. With speed far greater than her size or build suggested, she crossed the deck and swept Twilight into a tight, rib-cracking embrace, nuzzling her softly. “Oh, thank heavens, you’re back! We heard all that terrible thunder and saw the lightning, and thought for sure you were hurt!”

Her body aching both from the lightning and Skittershy’s hug, Twilight did her best to force a smile. “W-Well, it definitely didn’t tickle! A-Also, you might want to say hello to our, um, new friend.”

Confused, Skittershy turned to search about, her eyes found Melodía’s colorful form in an instant.

All that joy and warmth seemed to run away from her face. In their place, utter terror took hold. Skittershy’s face was as pale as a sheet, her body shaking uncontrollably. “Y-Y-You!” she stammered, her grip on Twilight tightening. “I-It can’t be you!”

Twilight only just managed to squeak, “You know each other, too?”

Melodía laughed, stomping a hoof again. “Another old face! I remember you!” She grinned and shook her head in disbelief. “The spider mare who turned on her kin and set off to find peace. I was there when mom told you not to cross the sea because we were gonna roll out the big storms! And something about Equestria getting noisy around that time.” Turning her grin upon Twilight, chuckled. “I take it back, drawing with you was the best thing to happen to me in ages. This trip is gonna be awesome!”

Her words did little to calm Skittershy. Instead, they only served to draw forth a whimper as she buried her face in Twilight’s mane, and a low, rumbling growl from the looming she dragon a few strides away.

Sighing, Twilight closed her eyes and forced the biggest, most plastic smile she could manage. “Greaaaaaat,” she drawled. “We all know each other. That makes everything. Just. Great.”


Her lover, her friend, and her post-battle-fling all on one ship, each of them literal killing machines who’d nearly put an end to Twilight herself. All on one suddenly tiny ship, bound for Equestria.

Oh, and two wanted to kill each other while the third was ready to run, hide, and probably cocoon Twilight and hang her upside-down in the cargo hold for safety.

With a sigh, she buried her face in Skittershy’s furry chest and grumbled, “If you two could hold off killing each other until after we make it home, I’d be thrilled.”

Battering whoever had cursed her with this talent for trouble would be little more than foreplay by the time Twilight finished with them.

Pacifism be damned. The upper-limit of her patience had been reached.

Author's Note:

No, I am not making any lightning puns. I know, I know, that's so out of character for me as a person. A real shocker.