• Published 24th Jan 2019
  • 635 Views, 104 Comments

Over Land and Sea - Wessexbrony



For Dinky and Derpy Hooves, there's much more than trophies riding on the outcome of Chelsea's season.

  • ...
 104
 635

PreviousChapters Next
The Toughest Test, Part 2

Tuesday 1st May

“Welcome to Barcelona,” I said, as the three of us disembarked from the British Airways flight.

“You’ve been here before?” Dinky asked.

“Champions League Round of 16 second leg, last season,” I said, “But this time, we’re the ones with a lead from the first leg.”

“So where are we staying?” Rainbow Dash asked.

“The Senator hotel,” I replied, “Ever been in a rooftop swimming pool?”


“That’s where we’ll be tomorrow,” I said, pointing towards the gigantic stadium as the three of us stood on the rooftop, looking out over the city lights of Barcelona.

As we headed to our room after a drink at the rooftop bar, Dinky cast one last look up at the night sky, as if sending a silent message somewhere.


Wednesday 2nd May

Two jaws dropped as the ponies they belonged to got their first real look at the Nou Camp.

“It’s even more spectacular at night,” I said, as we headed into the ground for the guided tour.


“...Barcelona are hoping for a second consecutive Champions League Final appearance, but they have it all to do tonight,” Breaking News said on the radio, as Autumn sipped a cup of tea, “They go into the second leg two goals down and without the suspended Sylvinho…”


“Following that fantastic win in the first leg last week, Chelsea take a two-goal lead to the Nou Camp, the home of Barcelona, with possibly their best chance to date of reaching the Champions League Final,” Kick Off said, as the cameras showed the supporters arriving at the ground and Lyra joined Derpy and Twilight in a packed Traveller’s Rest.

“Here we are,” I said, as Dinky hopped off Rainbow Dash’s back at the top of the huge number of stairs leading to the away section.

“Well, the stakes could not be higher,” Kick Off said, as the teams walked onto the pitch, “Chelsea are within touching distance of the Champions League Final, holding a two-goal lead from the first leg. But Barcelona know that a two-nil win would see them through thanks to their away goal. Milan await the victors after their 1-1 draw at Old Trafford last night saw them through on away goals.”

“For both sides, it’s time to be positive,” Full Time said, “They need to forget about Milan, and focus on tonight.”

Having it all to do, it was Barcelona who started with more urgency. Five minutes in, Edmilson tackled Joe Cole and played an aerial pass to Eto’o, who got into the area before shooting high over the bar.

Two minutes later, Edmilson played a pass to Xavi, who played the ball on to Eto’o. Eto’o then squared the ball to Ronaldinho, who got into the area before beating Cech at his near post.

“Well, it gets interesting now!” Kick Off said, “Barcelona needed that; they have to win 2-0 to go through, now we see how Chelsea respond!”

Chelsea looked to respond in the thirteenth minute, as Joe Cole got down the right and saw a cross cleared by Puyol, before the Blues saw a series of away attacks thwarted.

In the 24th minute, Ronaldinho once again got down the left, sending in a cross which was cleared by Ashley Cole ahead of Messi. Then, Gudjohnsen beat Marquez near the halfway line.

“Oh, and Barcelona have been caught cold here, and this could be a vital moment-!” Kick Off exclaimed, as Gudjohnsen raced into the opposing half virtually unopposed.

Gudjohnsen held off Zambrotta as he got into the area, before letting fly. His shot was saved by Valdes, but Robben pounced on the rebound and steered it into the empty net.

“What a counter by Chelsea!” Kick Off said, as Robben was mobbed by his team-mates and, up in the stands, Dinky visibly relaxed, “Arjen Robben cancels out Barcelona’s away goal; it’s one-all on the night, and Chelsea lead four-two on aggregate!”

Emboldened by that equaliser, Chelsea now began to take the ascendancy. Ten minutes before half time, Gudjohnsen found Joe Cole, who got away down the right and held off van Bronckhorst, sending a cross into the area. Robben got to the ball ahead of Xavi and Edmilson, but his shot hit the side netting. Five minutes later, Terry tackled Messi just outside the Chelsea area and passed to Makelele, who played the ball on to Joe Cole. Cole got into the area, and only a block by Zambrotta prevented another cross.

As the half time interval approached, Edmilson played in Eto'o, who passed to Ronaldinho. Ronaldinho looked to cross into the area, but his cross evaded everyone as Terry successfully kept Eto'o at bay.

“45 minutes left of this Champions League semi final,” Kick Off said as the teams left the pitch at half time, “Chelsea in the driving seat, and the next goal will be so crucial; if Barca get it, it's game on, but if Chelsea get it, it's game over!”

Chelsea looked to get at their opponents in the second half, and five minutes in Robben got down the left and sent in a cross. The cross was headed clear by Marquez as far as Lampard, who shot wide from distance.

Five minutes later, Gudjohnsen played in Robben, who took off down the left again, getting past Zambrotta before sending in a cross. This time, Gudjohnsen got to the ball ahead of Puyol, but he sent his shot wide.

Once again, Chelsea's wingers were proving instrumental, with Robben marauding down the left flank again on the hour mark after Ashley Cole intercepted a pass from Eto'o, only to be pulled back by Xavi. The free kick was cleared, but a foul on Makelele saw Chelsea awarded another free kick in what Kick Off called “Frank Lampard territory” as Barcelona brought on Ludovic Giuly for Xavi to increase the attacking options.

Lampard stepped up and sent a dipping shot over the wall and into the top corner, giving Valdes no chance.

“How about that!” Kick Off exclaimed, as Mourinho did a knee-slide in his technical area and, in the Traveller's Rest, Derpy shouted “Get in there!”, “Frank Lampard gives Chelsea the lead in the Nou Camp! It's 2-1 to Chelsea on the night, it's 5-2 to Chelsea on aggregate!”

“We've done it, we're through to the final!” Rainbow Dash shouted.

“But there's still half an hour left-” Dinky replied.

“Doesn't matter,” I said, as I pulled her into a hug, “We have two away goals now, they have to score four in that half an hour!”

The final half hour passed almost in a blur. It was practically all Chelsea, with Cech catching a Ronaldinho lob in the 68th minute. As the game entered the final fifteen minutes, a corner by Lampard was punched clear by Valdes and a free kick was headed clear by Zambrotta.

With five minutes left, a cross by van Bronckhorst was headed clear by Ashley Cole before Gudjohnsen headed wide from a Joe Cole cross. In the first minute of stoppage time, a cross from Eto’o was headed clear by Ashley Cole as far as Giuly, who blasted a first time shot high and wide to sum up Barcelona’s evening.

Seconds later, Stefano Farina blew the final whistle.

Barcelona 1-2 Chelsea (Ronaldinho 7; Robben 26, Lampard 61) Chelsea win 5-2 on aggregate

“The best team in Europe couldn’t stop them; who can stop Chelsea now?” Kick Off said, “The treble is on, they’re through to the Champions League Final!”

“And after they’ve been dogged by injuries, by drama,” Full Time added, “I’d say that this season has almost been like a soap opera…”

It was, excepting travel back from certain away matches, the longest that Dinky had stayed up since the World Cup Final in July. The three of us relaxed in the pool on the hotel’s rooftop after getting back from the stadium, once again looking out over the city lights and occasionally catching the faint sounds of a Chelsea song from down in the city.


Thursday 6th May

Derpy hung her cap on its hook and reached into her postbag, taking out the Barcelona postcard that Rainbow Dash had given her. The message was short, but sweet.

Dear Mommy,

Champions League Final, here we come!

All my love,

Muffin


Having put Dinky to bed that night, I glanced at the framed poem opposite her bed as I left the room. Two lines stood out to me.

But my fondest wish is greater, than every one before,
And that’s for a bright future for the muffin I adore.”

“Three points off the title and still to play United, and in the FA Cup Final and the Champions League Final,” I muttered to myself, as I went to watch the news, “And given that we’ve just won in the Nou Camp, I think it’s looking very bright.”

PreviousChapters Next