• Published 24th Jan 2019
  • 635 Views, 104 Comments

Over Land and Sea - Wessexbrony



For Dinky and Derpy Hooves, there's much more than trophies riding on the outcome of Chelsea's season.

  • ...
 104
 635

PreviousChapters Next
The Relegation Crossfire

It’s getting tickly now - squeaky bum time, I call it.” - Sir Alex Ferguson, 2003

Wednesday 18th April

As the title race heated up with five matches to go, things were no less tight down at the bottom of the table. Whilst Watford looked doomed, lying eight points adrift of safety, only six points separated Fulham in 15th and West Ham in 19th.

“Chelsea travel to the Boleyn Ground tonight looking to cut Manchester United’s lead back to five points,” Breaking News said on Autumn’s radio, as the Foal Protection Services caseworker filled out a request for yet another visitation form, “United currently hold an eight point lead at the top of the table, but Chelsea’s league match at the weekend was rearranged due to the FA Cup semi final. Alan Curbishley has said that his side must get a point to bolster their hopes of staying in the Premier League…”


Football could be incredibly ironic sometimes. At this time last season (and just under two months before Dinky’s unexpected arrival into my life), Alan Pardew had been manager of West Ham and Alan Curbishley had been manager of Charlton, with both sides comfortably in mid-table. Now, the two had switched clubs, and both sides were fighting relegation.

Unfortunately, while the fixtures against the bottom five clubs looked easy on paper, this was when sides fighting relegation began to fight tooth and nail for their survival. Aston Villa could attest to that; during the very first Premier League season in 1993, they had lost 1-0 at home to Oldham Athletic, thus handing Manchester United the title. Last season, Manchester United had suffered a 0-0 home draw against Sunderland which had all but handed the title to Chelsea.


“Well, these teams are the last teams you want to play against at this stage,” Kick Off said, as a shot by Carlos Tevez flashed wide of the post, “This looked like a mismatch, second bottom against second, but West Ham are playing as though their lives depended on it!”

“Well, their recent form has been telling,” Full Time added, “They’ve really put a good run together recently.”

Five minutes into the second half, there was just one goal separating the two sides. After an extremely scrappy first half, the deadlock had been broken three minutes after the break. A shot from Drogba was tipped behind by Green and, from the resulting corner, Essien had headed the ball down to Mikel, who volleyed it past Green to give Chelsea the lead with his first ever goal for the club.

West Ham looked to get back into the match, but Chelsea’s back four held firm. The next attack took place ten minutes later, when Lampard got out wide and crossed the ball in, with Ferdinand clearing the cross ahead of Drogba.

Five minutes after that, Shaun Wright-Phillips took off down the right, sending in a cross which Drogba connected with, only to see his header saved by Green.

The home side had barely threatened, but with twenty minutes to go, a long aerial ball found Tevez, whose first time volley went high over the bar.

This proved to be a wake up call for Chelsea, who looked to put the result beyond doubt. Four minutes later, Lampard played the ball to Joe Cole, who got out wide down the right and swung in a cross. Ferdinand headed the ball clear, but Lampard intercepted and sent a shot just wide.

With just over ten minutes left, Yossi Benayoun sent a cross into the area, but it was caught by Cech. Chelsea then closed the game out to collect another three vital points.

West Ham United 0-1 Chelsea (Mikel 48)


Friday 20th April

There was something about the carriage parked outside her house that made Diamond Tiara highly suspicious – possibly the tinted windows. She tentatively entered the front door, and noticed, in the sitting room, her mother and Belladonna Nightshade. She was too far away to hear their full conversation, but she definitely didn’t like what she did hear. As quickly and quietly as she could, she hurried up to her room, turning on the radio to hopefully allay any potential suspicion. She quickly looked at her alarm clock – it was ten past three, meaning that there was still time.

“Jose Mourinho has said that Chelsea must stay focused with four matches of the season to go…”

She grabbed a quill and her letter-writing set and quickly wrote down what she had heard.

“...Sheffield United are still struggling in seventeenth. In this weekend’s big match, however, Manchester United host Arsenal…”

She quickly hurried down the stairs as Breaking News announced that the Old Firm Derby could decide the winner of the Scottish Premier League and, ensuring that neither pony in the sitting room saw her, quickly exited the house and bolted off in the direction of the post office.


“I’m sorry, but Ms Hooves is busy right n-” Lyra said to Diamond Tiara a few minutes later, having answered the door.

“Actually, this needs to get to you,” Diamond Tiara replied breathlessly, “This could be important, but Belladonna must not see it.”

Lyra raised an eyebrow, but took the envelope anyway and then went back to her meeting with Derpy.


Saturday 21st April

“Over to you, Wenger,” I said, as the final whistle blew and Blue is the Colour sounded from the tannoy.

Compared to the West Ham game, the home match against Sheffield United had been a lot easier. Chelsea had dominated from the start, and midway through the first half, John Terry had risen highest to head the ball into the net from a corner. Seven minutes later, Lampard had doubled Chelsea’s lead, with a powerful shot which gave Kenny no chance.

Chelsea hadn’t got out of second gear, but the visitors had visibly wilted once the second goal had gone in, which Neil Warnock hadn’t been at all pleased about. With just under twenty minutes left, Eidur Gudjohnsen had made it three, and Chelsea had then closed the game out, conserving their energy for the upcoming match against Barcelona.

Chelsea 3-0 Sheffield United (Terry 22, Lampard 29, Gudjohnsen 72)

“By the way,” I said, as we made our way home, “Here-” I handed Rainbow Dash an envelope “-are your tickets to the second leg against Barcelona and the FA Cup Final.”


Sunday 21st April

“...now it’s Fabregas for Arsenal,” Martin Tyler said, as the Man Utd-Arsenal game entered its last five minutes, “Plays it to Van Persie out wide. Julio Baptista taking over, now, and it’s played to Rosicky on the left. Rosicky sends a low ball into the area, here’s Adebayor, goes for a low shot, and it’s in! Arsenal have pegged Manchester United back again! It’s a vital goal for Arsenal, but it’s an even more vital goal for Chelsea!”

Eight minutes later, the final whistle went, and as a furious-looking Sir Alex Ferguson shook hands with Wenger before storming down the tunnel, Dinky jumped into me, attempting to pull me into a hug, while Derpy and Rainbow Dash whooped with joy in the Traveller’s Rest.

Manchester United 2-2 Arsenal (Scholes 21, Rooney 64; Henry 48, Adebayor 86)

As the end of the season loomed, Manchester United’s lead over Chelsea had been cut from eleven points at the beginning of February, to three points with three matches left.

Premier League Table

1 Man Utd 80pts
2 Chelsea 77pts
3 Arsenal 72pts
4 Liverpool 68pts
5 Tottenham 58pts
6 Everton 54pts

16 Wigan 35pts
17 Sheffield Utd 34pts
18 West Ham 32pts
19 Charlton 31pts
20 Watford 27pts

PreviousChapters Next