• Published 16th Jan 2019
  • 21,400 Views, 3,309 Comments

To Be a Changeling - PlagueRat



A newly hatched changeling feels like the world around is more strange than it should be but can't understand why.

  • ...
42
 3,309
 21,400

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter - 42

All around changelings hurried busily about, bundling up various items and transporting them to the hives upper chambers. Pupa watched them curiously as she trotted alongside Mosquito, both heading back down the hallway that lead to her mother’s lair.

“We’re here my queen,” Mosquito said as they trotted over the threshold.

Chrysalis looked up from a piece of parchment she levitated with her magic and rolled it up. She then returned it to a polished wooden chest, among a multitude of other papers and scrolls.

“Why is everyling so busy?” Pupa asked, looking back at the room’s entrance as groups of changelings flew past.

“They are preparing to move,” Chrysalis said as she walked over to her daughter.

“But how come?” the nymph asked.

“Because the ponies likely know where we are hiding now and it’s not safe for us to stay here,” her mother explained.

“Why?” blinked Pupa, “You told me we’re stronger than the ponies.”

“We are,” confirmed Chrysalis, “but if they out number us it wouldn’t matter. Many ants can overpower a single scorpion.”

“Couldn’t we just catch them in traps like Gallus and Silverstream?” the nymph suggested.

“Some of them,” said Chrysalis, “unfortunately if their numbers are high all the traps we make wouldn’t be able to stop them all.”

“That’s not fair,” muttered the nymph.

“It’s not worth getting upset about it,” her mother said. “In the long term it won’t matter and right now I want you to focus on something else before we have to leave.”

“What?” asked Pupa and tilted her head slightly, causing her mane to slip over one of her eyes.

“I want to teach you a new spell,” Chrysalis said, “one to protect yourself.”

“Okay,” Pupa nodded, but the normal excitement at learning more magic was muted thanks to the news of their upcoming relocation.

“Now then, I’m going to teach you how to create a shield,” said Chrysalis while taking a few long steps back. “Observe.”

Setting her full attention on her parent, the nymph watched as her mother’s horn illuminated with an emerald glow. Almost immediately, starting from above her horn and ending in a wide circle at the stone floor, a half dome of transparent green energy flashed into existence around the queen. Seeing the shield reminded Pupa of a similar one cast by the purple alicorn a few days ago.

“Mosquito,” Chrysalis called to the attendant. “Attack me.”

“Yes my queen,” said the changeling after a brief pause.

A short beam of bright green shot forth from Mosquito’s horn and broke against Chrysalis’s shield like a drop of water against the cavern floor. With a small smile on her lips, her mother dismissed the barrier and turned her gaze back to the nymph.

“First I want you to close your eyes,” Chrysalis instructed and then waited until Pupa did. “Now, start by focusing your magic above your head, try and create a ball out of it.”

With her eyes shut, the nymph imagined a green ball of energy floating in the darkness. Carefully she began to draw forth her magic energy, just as she did when she levitated the pebbles, only this time willing it to roll in on itself in the shape of a sphere.

“That’s it,” her mother whispered, “now increase its size.”

Clenching her teeth slightly, Pupa fed more magic into the orb she pictured above her. Then she noticed a small tickle, like a spider’s legs walking over her carapace, at the location where the back of her horn connected to her forehead. A sudden shiver ran down her spine and she gasped, opened her eyes and began losing control of the energy.

“Keep hold of it,” said Chrysalis, “it’s more than you’re used to but you can do it.”

Taking in a deep breath, sitting up straighter, and ignoring the distracting sensation crawling along her back, Pupa stared straight ahead. Wide eyed, but vision unfocused, she didn’t see the growing sphere of magic spinning in the air above her head.

“Good, very good,” breathed her mother, taking a few steps around her. “Now you can let it go.”

Exhaling sharply, Pupa followed Chrysalis command and cut off the flow of magic. Looking up, she barely caught sight of the orb before it dissipated into nothing.

“It felt weird,” panted the nymph, arching her back slightly in an attempt to banish away the phantom reminder of the tickle. “Like something was crawling down my back.”

“You’re summoning more magic than you have before,” her mother said, “and your body’s not used to it yet. The feeling will pass the more you practice. Now, do it again.”

Once more Pupa closed her eyes, folded her ears back and repeated the process of creating the ball of magic above her. Just as before the tingle returned and she absently buzzed her little wings while doing her best to disregard it.

“Now, stretch it out,” said Chrysalis, her voice now coming from behind the nymph.

The nymph’s ear twitched and she imaged the ball of energy flatting in on itself at the top and bottom, causing the sides to bulge and expand. Without hearing any indication to stop, she continued distorting the magic. Then the chill along her back increased two fold, she squeaked in surprise and the gathered magic burst into a small harmless shower of sparks.

“That was a good start,” her mother said. “Take a break for a few minutes and then I want you to try it again, alright?”

Pupa nodded and rolled onto her back, trying to alleviate the tingle as if it was an itch. Chrysalis gave her a small smirk and then walked over to Mosquito.


“Forgive me if I’m overstepping my bounds,” began Mosquito, out of earshot of the nymph, “but creating a shield is a rather advanced spell for someling so young.”

“I know it is,” said Chrysalis, a bit of pride slipping into her voice “but she’s been able to surprise us quite a few times. If she can learn to control the magic she can already gather, just imagine her potential.”

PreviousChapters Next