• Published 16th Jan 2019
  • 21,276 Views, 3,287 Comments

To Be a Changeling - PlagueRat



A newly hatched changeling feels like the world around is more strange than it should be but can't understand why.

  • ...
42
 3,287
 21,276

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 32

Levitating tiny pebbles soon became boring for the nymph; and so after lining them up one after the other, so that they made a spiraling pattern, she left the stones off to her side. Turning toward the pile of pillows that her mother rested upon, Pupa began to stalk over as quietly as she could.

“The workers have finished filling in the tunnel leading into the diamond dog mines as you’ve instructed,” Phasmid informed Chrysalis, “and no other ways leading down there from the hive have been discovered.”

“Good,” said her mother, absently flicking her long tail behind her, “and have all the upper tunnels been secured?”

“Almost your highness,” the young guard said, “just a few more hidden passages have to be excavated.”

Keeping her body close to the floor Pupa slowly wound her way behind Chrysalis. She paused when she noticed that Phasmid had spotted her and was now watching her movements. A moment later, following her guards gaze, Chrysalis turned her head to glance back over her withers.

“What are you doing Pupa?” her mother asked.

“Playing,” the nymph answered and attempted to pounce on her mother's tail.

Chrysalis curled her tail up against her side leaving Pupa to miss her target; and when the nymph continued to peruse her quarry, she was scooped up into the air by her mother’s magic. After a moment of wiggling the nymph gave up on her futile attempt to escape.

“I don’t have time to play right now,” Chrysalis said, setting her daughter down. “I have matters to discuss with Phasmid to make sure the hive is safe.”

“Please?” the nymph asked, tilting her head and causing her mane to slip over one eye.

“Later,” her mother answered.

“Aren’t there any other nymphs around?” Pupa asked.

Though her features only hardened slightly, multiple waves of negative emotions radiated off her mother from that question and Pupa immediately regretted asking it.

“No Pupa,” Chrysalis finally said, turning her head away from her daughter, sadness leaking from her, “and there won’t be any for at least a year.”

“Then maybe I could go look around the hive?” Pupa meekly asked.

“No,” her mother affirmed. “It’s not safe for you to stray away from me.”

“Okay…” said the nymph.

The chamber became quiet, broken only by the sound of a stalactite dripping the occasional droplets of water somewhere else in the room. Pupa, with her ears lowered, went back to levitating the small pebbles.

“Pupa,” her mother said with a sigh, “if you promise to stay in the tunnels between here and the feeding chamber, you can go out for a little while.”


Pupa hummed to herself as she trotted up the sloping passageway and at each intermittent chamber she passed she would stop to take a peek inside. Most had nothing interesting in them while others had been taken over by one or two changelings and converted into rooms. When she did run into another changeling, they would always stop to bow and ask if she needed anything. Being contented enough at the moment to just explore, she would just say ‘no thank you’ and be on her way.

Then she found the little chamber Mosquito was using to store the items she ‘collected’ from ponies. Her attention was drawn to a stack of rectangular boxes and it triggered one of her sporadic visions…


He was sitting among a group of the strange pale creatures helping to form a circle around a flat square on a wooden floor. One of the creatures was using its blunt claws to set little objects up on different locations on the board, usually within a small colored square. The creatures each took a turn to pick up a pair of white cubes only to just drop them back down again from a few hooves off the floor. Each side of the miniature cubes had a different number of tiny black dots on them and the creatures would move one of the objects an amount of squares equal to that number.


Pupa shook her head and blinked her eyes a few times, sending the vision back to where ever it came from. She knew now that the boxes in front of her were games of some kind, and to play them she would need someling else. Or maybe some pony else…

A small vulpine grin grew on her muzzle and the little nymph giggled to herself. Like a small serpent made of shadows the young changeling queen moved through the tunnels until she reached the chamber that contained the pony pods. After checking to see if anyling was about, she walked straight up the wall across the ceiling and back down one of the cocoons.

She peeked into the first pod and frowned at the unicorn stallion contained within. The next pod held a pegasus stallion and the one after that had an earth pony mare. When she peeked into the fourth cocoon the smile returned to her face. It went away again shortly after as she tried to find an opening so she could let the pony out.

After getting a little frustrated she just bit into the pods surface and tore a bite sized chunk away. A thick green syrup slowly oozed from the hole and coiled around into a spreading puddle once it reached the floor. Gradually the young pony within started to stir, an ear twitch here, a leg stretch there, and finally his eyes slowly opened.

“Hey, Sandbar,” she said to the groggy colt, “you’re going to play games with me.”

“Pepper?” Sandbar croaked weakly before coughing up some phlegm.

“No, Pupa,” she corrected.

The colt mumbled and his head lolled on his neck, going from side to side until it plopped to rest against the pods inner membrane. Pupa sighed at how silly Sandbar was acting and gripped the edge of the tear she created with her front hooves. Using all her physical strength, she pulled at the opening, causing the wound in the cocoon to widen and more of the thick liquid poured out. The colt followed soon after.

“Ow,” Sandbar groaned, pulling his face from the puddle and rubbing the side of his head with a front hoof. “Is somepony there?”

“Someling,” Pupa said before letting go of the pod and gliding down to the floor on her buzzing wings.

“Pepper?” the pony asked again.

“My name is Pupa,” the nymph huffed, landing at the edge of the slime slick that surrounded the colt.

“Um, where am I?” the colt asked as he stumbled into a sitting position.

“The feeding chamber,” she innocently told him.

Sandbar froze up and Pupa could sense a wave a dread flow out from him. With his ears folded back and his body trembling slightly, the colt looked up at the faintly luminescent pods that hung suspended from the ceiling above him. The pupils of his eyes shrunk down to pin pricks and he swallowed a lump that had formed in his throat.

“Are you going to feed on me?” he asked in a dry voice before looking back at her.

“No,” Pupa said.

Sandbar let out a sigh of relief and the nymph could feel the colts fear decrease.

“I already feed on you earlier,” she informed him, the news causing the pony to cringe.

“So then what do you want?” he asked.

“I told you already,” she said, exasperated by how the pony was acting. “You’re going to play with me.”

The colt looked at her as if she grew a second head.

“I found a bunch of games and I want you to show me how to play them,” the nymph elaborated. “Now come on and follow me.”

After walking over to the rooms exit, Pupa looked behind her. The pony was still sitting in the green puddle with his ears moving about as he just stared at her.

“Pupa, maybe you could just let me go home for now,” Sandbar suggested, “and then we could play later?”

“No,” she said, stomping one of her front hooves on the cavern’s stone floor.

“Pupa, my parents, my little sister, my friends, they are all probably worried about me,” he told her. “You remember how worried you were about your mom being missing?”

The nymph frowned, lowered her head and shuffled her legs, thinking over how upsetting it was to emerge alone from her cocoon and then about how happy she was when her mother came for her.

“Yes…” Pupa mumbled before looking back up at sandbar. “Come on, I’ll ask my mom if you can go home after we play.”

A grimace crossed Sandbars features and the colt looked around as if she told him he was in trouble for something.

“Come on,” she repeated and buzzed her wings to get his attention.

On wobbly legs, the earth pony rose to his hooves and started to walk over to Pupa. As he followed her out into the tunnel he kept silent, looking from side to side while slime dripped from his fur with each step he took.

“Princess?” a raspy female voice asked from above causing the nymph and Sandbar to look up.

A changeling flew down from the ceiling, landing in front of the duo.

“Hi Tsetse,” Pupa greeted the confused looking scout.

“Are you okay? What’s going on? How did the pony get out?” Tsetse quickly asked before moving to stand between the nymph and the pony.

“I let him out, we’re going to play some games,” the little changeling said.

“Princess,” Tsetse said, seeming rather upset. “You can’t just free the ponies from the pods, it’s dangerous!”

“Sandbars not dangerous,” Pupa scoffed.

Tsetse balked at the nymph. The scout then shook her head and placed her front hooves on Sandbar’s withers, causing the colt to freeze up.

“Okay, we’ll just put him back and then I’ll take you back to the Queen,” the changeling said.

“No!” the nymph exclaimed, completely fed up. “We’re going to get the games and bring them back to my mom’s room to play.”

“As you wish your highness,” Tsetse finally acquiesced after a long beat of silence. “But please allow me to accompany you and your ‘guest’.”

“That’s fine.” Pupa nodded and gave a smile now that she got what she wanted. “Thank you Tsetse.”

“My pleasure your highness,” the scout bowed slightly.

Sandbar let out a little whimper as Tsetse steered him down the hallway to follow behind the happily humming nymph.

PreviousChapters Next