• Published 15th Dec 2018
  • 1,749 Views, 71 Comments

Road to Harmony - Artthriller94



How will a team of street racers find their way back to their world, with the help from the Rainbooms?

  • ...
5
 71
 1,749

14: Back to the Lab!

Author's Note:

There is a new ally, a Japanese teenager named Akira Serizawa, who is a science genius and a fan of the Back to the Future franchise. He is a new original character, thought of and suggested by FimFiction user, Artemis Prime. He will be a supporting character to the story, and will help the main protagonists in the climax. In this chapter, he will be introduced, along with his laboratory.

Also, Team Furious will be driving street modified race cars for a while. That means that they will have working headlights and taillights, side mirrors, and street tires, while Sam Barrett will be driving an off-road vehicle. However, these race cars will be equipped with hidden weapons. Hope you enjoy this chapter!

The whole city of Los Angeles is in total chaos, now that there are three of Equestria's notorious villains roaming in the real world, creating havoc on the citizens of L.A. Queen Chrysalis, Nightmare Moon, and King Sombra are now humans on Earth, but they still have their dark magic from Equestria, and now it seems that they are working together, even if they don't enjoy each other's company. Earlier, at the Evergreen Cemetery, King Sombra had nearly gotten his hands on Team Furious and the Rainbooms, while Nightmare Moon was watching them the whole time, until another teenager suddenly appeared, and took the teams of heroes somewhere else. Now, Sombra and Nightmare are currently searching for them everywhere in the East L.A. area.


The suburban neighborhood of Beverlywood is one of the few places left undisturbed in the West side of Los Angeles, when a DeLorean DMC-12, replicated as the Back to the Future time machine, suddenly surfaced in a white flash. Team Furious, the Rainbooms, and Starlight Glimmer still kept their eyes closed, while touching the chassis of the DeLorean. The teen inside the car climbed out, and couldn't help but smile at them.

"It's okay, you guys. You can open your eyes now."

They all did, and were so relieved to be out of danger, and out of the cemetery. Then, they looked at the person who rescued them. Sunset Shimmer reached out her hand to shake his, and the teen did the same.

"Thanks for saving us."

"No problem. I am a big fan of My Little Pony, and I have seen all of your adventures."

Sunset and the Rainbooms smiled at that. Charlie was right from the beginning, when he said that there are fans of My Little Pony learning from their experiences.

"But if it's alright to ask," Sunset continued, "who are you?"

"My name is Akira Serizawa. I'm a Science major student at Los Angeles High, studying to be a great scientist someday." At that comment, Twilight Sparkle's eyes twinkled wide open. She isn't the only science student who's trying to help save L.A.

Team Furious have heard of the name Akira Serizawa in school. He is the Japanese science genius everyone's been talking about. He had invented many amazing inventions, during many of the science fairs at school, but they have never actually talked to him. Now, here he is, driving a very iconic, yet functional, movie car of the '80s, and bringing them to a suburban area, where they can hide and plan their move.

"We've heard about you at school before." Charlie shook Akira's hand. "Your inventions were very impressive, at that science fair one time."

"Gee, thank you, Charlie." Akira chuckled. "I have seen you and your friends at school, as well, but I admit that didn't have the courage to talk to you all, until now." He then turned his direction towards the empty street of Monte Mar Drive. "My house is just down this street. I can get you all back to my lab, and see what I can do to assist you, and defeat those villains from your world."

"And let me guess," Bobby smirked, looking at the DeLorean, "you are a movie car fan, like us."

Akira gave a nervous smile, as he adjusted his glasses. "Well... yeah. I am a huge fan of 'Back to the Future,' and this car is only a replica, with a few modifications of my own." He then open the side door of his DeLorean, and climbed back in. "Follow me."

Before summoning their cars out, Akira saw both the Rainbooms and Team Furious magically switching their recently designed battle outfits back to their original street clothes, in order to blend in normally. He was definitely impressed of this, even when the two teams brought out their alternative vehicles, as well. The Rainbooms still have their street cars Team Furious gave to them, Starlight still has her 2019 McLaren Senna, and Team Furious were now driving their favorite movie cars, and Akira led them down the street to his home.


They have finally reached Akira's house near the 4-way intersection of Monte Mar and South Beverly. It was a white two-story house, and Akira parked his DeLorean time machine at the house garage door, while Team Furious, Starlight, and the Rainbooms parked their cars on the sidewalk. As they all got out, they saw something different among them. They all looked at Charlie's car, which happens to be a 1971 Chevrolet Monte Carlo! It was a light yellow primed classic muscle car, with its metal brown roof, fitted with a primed light grey cowl hood, four black NASCAR-like rims on Goodyear Eagle slick tires, and single side exhausts on both sides in front of the rear wheels. It was also the same car, driven by actor Lucas Black's character, Sean Boswell, in the first race of "The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift," before it got overturned and wrecked. As soon as Charlie stepped out of the driver's seat, and looked at all of his perplexed friends, including Akira, he just smirked.

"Uuuhhhh... Charlie?" Rachael questioned. "Why are you driving this car, instead of your Charger?"

"Because it's my alternative car." Charlie answered. "I've discovered that back in Camp Everfree."

"But, why this?" Sunset joined in. "I thought you would go for something more... fast, and yet stylish."

"And this vehicle is beyond stylish, darling!" Rarity remarked. Everyone else agreed.

"I know, I know." Charlie raised his hands. "This vehicle isn't a pretty sight to look at, but this is what we call a sleeper car. It may look like an ordinary hunk of junk from the outside, but under the hood, it has the high performance of a thoroughbred race car. This Monte Carlo is my second favorite car to drive, because it's from the third Fast and Furious movie, and it looks like a classic oval track stock car."

Everybody now understood why Charlie would pick this car. It it really a fast race car in disguise, as they described it in their own terms, so they didn't question about it too much. As soon as Charlie was done talking about the car, they all placed their own cars away with their magic, and as soon as Akira opened his garage door, he told everybody to get inside, and he drove his DeLorean inside. He then closed the door, and turned on the ceiling lights, and they saw that there were few boxes on top of some shelves, and a workspace for Akira's father. Twilight wondered if Akira has a lab, where he would spend most of his time inventing his devices, just like her.

"So, Akira," Twilight broke the silence, "If it's no trouble asking, where is your lab?"

"I'm glad you asked, Twilight." Akira smiled. "I do, but it's not on this floor level."

"Huh?"

"What do you mean by floor level?" Sam asked.

Team Furious, the Rainbooms, and even Starlight were all curious, when Akira walked toward the left wall, and press on a button next to a shelf. Suddenly, a section of the floor began to sink, and everybody, along with Akira and his car, were slowly being led downwards underground. Then, to the surprise of all, when they finally reached the bottom, they saw that Akira's laboratory is a secret underground basement facility. It is, perhaps, about a 100 yard long, and 50 yard wide, almost like the size of a football field, with lots of inventions hanging on the walls, a decent amount of big screen televisions mounted around some tables and walls, some wiring cables laying on the ground, wrenches, toolboxes, and power tools on tables, and the Back to the Future memorabilia placed on the shelves on the far side of the lab, where they were next to Akira's personal workspace area. He was very proud of his laboratory, as he saw the mouths of Team Furious, the Rainbooms, and Starlight drop with utter shock.

"Well? What do you think?"

No one said a word, until Rainbow Dash recovered from her shock. "This... place... is... AWESOME!!!"

Her voice echoed around the surrounding area. Everyone else broke from their shock, and they began to ask Akira how he managed to create such an incredible secret lair, which he gladly answered that he had won so many awards for his scientific inventions and knowledge, that he invested enough money to gain permission from the state government to acquire the materials needed for construction. Team Furious were surprised of hearing this, as they haven't heard about this at all at school. Akira told them that he wanted to keep all of this a secret, since there are some untrustworthy people out there, who want to get their hands on his inventions for the wrong reasons, so he confided to Team Furious, Starlight Glimmer, and the Rainbooms to not let this slip out to the public, even when battling the villains from Equestria, which they Pinkie-promised.

Next, he led them towards the nearest side of the lab, where they saw a wide window, a computer screen and keyboard, a door, and a sign saying "AR Testing." That is when Team Furious's eyes opened wide, and they grinned with excitement.

"Akira!" Charlie gasped. "Is this a room for Augmented Reality?!"

"That's right, Charlie." Akira confirmed. "This room is for super-advanced AR, and I have personally programmed the software to make anything in this world look real inside of this room only. I can also replicate any famous locations on Earth, like San Francisco, Tokyo, London, etc., and when you move around the room, you won't be able to crash into the physical walls, and stop there. In other words, this is the room of your imaginations."

Everyone was very excited of this astounding development. An augmented reality room with unlimited possibilities, which can also be used for training, perhaps? Who knows what Akira has also invented to aid them in their cause. That is what Charlie thought of.

"Akira?” Charlie spoke up to Akira. “Do you think that we can use your lab as our base of operations? We've had some training with magic in Equestria with the royal princesses, so...”

"So you would like to train yourselves some more in my AR Room?" Akira finished off. Charlie nodded. "Well then, by all means, my lab is your lab."

Team Furious and the Rainbooms were cheering and jumping with amazement and joy. Akira also told them that they can visit anytime, as long as they have the free time to do so.

"Yeah!" Lily smiled. "We can also use it to train the Rainbooms for battle!" The Rainbooms looked at her with surprise. "Think about it, girls. You're all in a world that is totally different, and you don't have any experience in combat fighting or weapons, so maybe the AR Room can be helpful in preparing you to deal with Queen Chrysalis, King Sombra, and whoever else is with them."

"I agree." Bobby added. "You girls can't play it safe forever, you know."

"So, you have to either go hard, or go home." Rachael crossed her arms.

The Rainbooms, and Starlight, were a little apprehensive of this. They really don't want to risk getting hurt, especially Fluttershy, who doesn't like violence of any sort. But, on the other hand, with three Equestrian villians on the loose on Earth, training to fight back with what they got might be the right thing to do. Looking at each other, they came to a conclusion, as Sunset spoke first.

"Guys, if we're going to fight, I think we should let those, who want to fight, do the training. There are some of us that don't think that using violence is the answer."

"I'm one of them." Fluttershy twiddled her fingers.

"And I, as well." Rarity agreed. "It is not proper for me to use my delicate hands and feet to fight."

"Who says you have to, Rarity?" David asked. "Along with your geode magic, you, Twilight, and Starlight can use some kind of spell to counter anyone, and still fight back."

"Us?" Rarity and Twilight said in unison.

"Well, yeah." Starlight answered. "Back in Equestria, Rarity and I are unicorns, while Twilight is an alicorn princess. I already have the ability to use my magic, when we were fighting those zombies, so maybe there's something that can help you both harness some unicorn magic, too."

Twilight and Rarity did like the sound of that. It is probably better than personally punching or kicking someone in the face, but how can they do that, if the magic they currently have comes from their geode necklaces?

"Well..." Akira answered, "I might have something to substitute that."

Akira led the two groups towards his workspace area, and showed him an array of devices and gadgets laying on a table. As they looked at some of the many gadgetry, Akira picked out two pairs of grey, fingerless, sci-fi looking gloves. Each of these gloves were slim, with a circular pattern in the middle of the palm surface. Twilight and Rarity thought these were just ordinary gloves, but Akira assured them that these are definitely out of the ordinary.

"These are actually super-advanced tech gloves, with built-in sensors that can output incredible energy of whatever your bodies contain. I have created these for ranged combat purposes and demonstrations, but I put them aside here, in case of a world-wide crisis... just like what's happening to L.A. right now." Team Furious and the Rainbooms chuckled at the irony. "But, with these, you two can use your magic inside you to summon Equestrian magic, and use it to your advantage." As soon as he was done explaining, Akira gave them the gloves.

Rarity considered the suggestion, as she tried on her new handwear. "Well, I suppose it will do, at the moment."

Twilight did the same. "Yeah, and these fit perfectly on me. So, how do we summon our magic?"

Akira placed a life-sized dummy 6 feet away from her. "Just imagine this dummy as an enemy in front of you, and picture yourself throwing an object at them. The moment you do, you're gonna' see some serious... stuff."

So, Twilight tried to picture the dummy as an enemy, and through her mind, she pictured it as her worst nightmare from before: Midnight Sparkle, her dark ego laughing at her. At first, Twilight was afraid of her past self, but she quickly stand firm, as she knew that Midnight is nothing but a memory now. Using her strength within her right hand, her right glove glowed purple on her palm, and as she got ready throw nothing at her, her hand was covered in a purple aura. Then, she launched a fast-ball pitch move, and the aura quickly became a flaming purple ball of energy, and hit the dummy with a blast, knocking it to the wall. Twilight saw this happened, and she was amazed of her new-found ability. Her friends, and Team Furious, cheered for her, and Twilight smiled, with Midnight suffering on the ground within her mind.

"See?" Akira grinned. "These will definitely come in handy, once you use your imaginations."

Suddenly, an alarm sounded off, with red lights flashing everywhere. Everyone ran towards the wall of computer screens, and Akira typed in some keys on his keyboard. A security footage showed them of a black race car roaming around a suburban area. The car is a 2013 SRT Viper GTS-R, with some exaggerated race car parts to make it look sinister. The lights on the Viper were not on, and there was a trailing dark blue aura coming off underneath the entire chassis. Then, to Akira, Sunset, Starlight, and Team Furious' surprise, they recognized a dark purple splotch, with a crescent moon on top, on each side of its rear fenders. They all knew whose Cutie Mark it belonged to.

"Nightmare Moon!" They shouted together. The Rainbooms, however, weren't familiar with the name.

"Nightmare who?" Rainbow Dash asked.

"Nightmare Moon!" Starlight explained. "The evil version of Princess Luna! I have heard about the legend before, back when I wasn't Princess Twilight's pupil."

"So did I." Sunset added. "She wanted to bring eternal night to Equestria, but Princess Celestia banished her to the moon for a thousand years..."

With a quick explanation from Sunset and Starlight, as well as Team Furious explaining how the Elements of Harmony defeated her, the Rainbooms were now fully aware of the third villain on Earth.

"But what I don't understand is how she got herself restored." Starlight questioned. "In order to use her dark magic, she needs a host to possess with."

"Maybe she randomly chose someone from this world?" Applejack questioned.

"Or maybe she was restored by somebody with a powerful spell, and then gave her a new body!" Pinkie Pie randomly guessed.

"Are you sure about that, Pinkie?" Fluttershy asked nervously.

Pinkie only shrugged. "Just a guess."

"Well, whatever the case," Charlie interrupted, "she is probably looking for us right now. We need to drive her away from the neighborhood, or she and the other villains will discover the lab."

"Right." Akira agreed. "I'll stay here and be the eyes in the sky from my computer. I'll talk to you all through your cars' communication systems. Also, just a suggestion, if Nightmare Moon, King Sombra, and Queen Chrysalis are driving fast race cars, maybe you guys should do the same, to even the odds. Just make sure you install any defensive weapons to your choice of motorsport vehicles."

"I think that's a great idea!" Charlie agreed. Team Furious were ecstatic of the opportunity to drive their favorite racing vehicles on the streets.

Rachael rubbed her hands together. "This is gonna' be like that vehicular combat game."

"You play Twisted Metal?" David raised a brow. Rachael only smirked.

"What kind of race cars do you guys have in mind?" Sunset asked.

"Oh, oh!" Lily raised her hand excitedly. "I know what I want to drive!"

Lily quickly summoned a holographic display from her arm, tapped on the "Garage" option, and search for any race car she has stored. Then, she made a big grin, and as soon as she tapped on the car image, a custom 2005 Ford Mustang GT, with a familiar Falken Formula Drift Team livery, materialized to life. Everybody was impressed of the race car, even though it still looked like a street car on the outside.

"Ooooooh!" Pinkie cooed loudly. "Nice car, Lily."

Bobby was both impressed and surprised of the '05 Mustang. "Wow, Lily. I didn't know you were into Formula Drift."

Lily only smiled. "Duh, of course! I love to watch those cars slide sideways without losing control. Because if you ain't outta' control, you ain't in control."

"I wonder where I've heard that?" Rachael asked sarcastically.

"Well, it's my turn to choose." Bobby smirked, as he summoned his holographic screen. He then brought out a grey 2000 Nissan Skyline GT-R race car. This particular car is a Super GT version of the Skyline, but it currently has no livery painted on. But, using his painting options on his screen, Bobby personalized it to make it look like the Pennzoil Nismo GT-R that ran in the formally known JGTC Championship. Bobby was happy with this, and so was Rarity.

"Oh my, Bobby. You certainly have some designing skills to paint such an amazing race car."

"Ah, thank you, Rarity." Bobby blushed, as the rest of his friends were currently summoning their favorite race cars.

Sam chose an orange 2-door 2003 Chevy Silverado Trophy Truck, with custom yellow racing stripes painted on. It had off-road details, like fender flares, side steps, a front prerunner bumper with a winch, three round LED lights on top of the bumper, and six on the roof. Upon see this racing truck, Applejack was mighty impressed of it.

"Well, ah' guess ah' have someone else to race with in mah' truck." Applejack winked at Sam.

Sam happily chuckled. "Ah'd be lookin' forward to that after this is over."

Taylin thought of a race car she had in mind. She brought to life a yellow, white, and black 2000 Chevy Corvette C5.R. Twilight and Starlight wanted to know the history of this Corvette, so Taylin began a short racing history lecture.

"This 2000 Chevrolet Corvette C5.R is a grand touring race car that competed in the American Le Mans Series, as well as the 24 Hours of Daytona, 12 Hours of Sebring, and the famous 24 Hours of Le Mans. There were two of these for each teammates, and it competed in 55 races, with 31 wins in the record books. Some of its notable drivers were Chris Kneifel, Jon Paul, Jr, and even Dale Earnhardt, and Dale Earnhardt, Jr. The Corvette first debuted in the 1999 Rolex 24 Hours of Daytona, and its last race was at the 2004 Monterey Sports Car Championships, after the introduction of its successor, the Corvette C6.R."

Both Twilight and Starlight clapped in amazement, as they enjoyed the lecture of the C5.R. Taylin then told them that she had heard of it in a race event on television, when she was a kid, so she researched about it, and was fascinated of the race car, so that is why she chose this Corvette to drive in.

Rachael, on the other hand, chose an open-wheel race car, a 2003 #12 Pioneer Mo Nunn Racing Dallara Toyota. It was an Indycar that ran in the 2003 season, driven by Tora Takagi, but Rachael doesn't know much about its history. She then added two LED white light strips on the the tips of the Indycar's front wing, to function as working headlights with a press of a button in the cockpit. Rachael also added some high performance street tires from Bridgestone to replace the default slick tires, but Rainbow Dash was a little confused and concerned.

"So, Rachael? How come you picked out this race car? Isn't it a little dangerous?"

Rachael turned her head with a smug expression. "Hey. I live for danger. Besides, the reason I picked out this Indycar is because I wanted a race car that represents you and your super speed. Also, the paint scheme really suits me."

Upon hearing those words, Rainbow felt flattered. "Gee. Thanks, Rachael."

For David's choice of race car, he chose a 2001 Subaru Impreza WRX rally car, with the iconic Subaru World Rally Team livery. He replaced the car's dirt tires with street tires, and began to install some hidden devices and weapons he had seen in many Ghostbusters media, while Fluttershy watched him with curiosity.

"Um, David? What are you doing to your new race car?"

"I'm just putting in some Ghostbusters equipment. Even though it's not relevant in race cars, I want to stay safe and alert from any paranormal entities Nightmare Moon might throw at us."

Fluttershy gulped nervously. "You mean, she can summon g-g-g-ghosts?!"

"Well, that's one possible theory." David admitted. "But, if that's the case, It's my job to keep us all safe, and I don't want to take any chances."

"Oh."

Then, David tested out his weapons of choice, to see if they work properly. Two adjustable particle throwers popped out of the front fenders, the ghost trap activated underneath the Subaru rally car's hood vent, a custom dashboard screen acted as a P.K.E. meter and camera, and a mobile version of the Slime Blower activated out of the rear trunk and unto the roof, with the adjustable nozzle extending outwards. David was pleased with all of these, and deactivated them back into the car, which greatly impressed Fluttershy.

"Wow. You really put a lot of thought into this to protect us, David."

"Thanks, Fluttershy." David happily responded. "Like I said, no chances."

Finally, Charlie brought to life his favorite race car of all: a 2004 #24 Dupont Chevy Monte Carlo stock car, which was driven by Jeff Gordon, Charlie's favorite NASCAR driver. He installed some LED headlights behind the brake vents of the front bumper, some LED taillights on the rear, high performance street tires, and he added some hidden weapons of his own. The rest of Team Furious have done the same to their vehicles. Sunset Shimmer took a liking to the stock car.

"This race car is pretty sweet, Charlie. It's got a red flame job to it and everything."

"Yeah." Charlie chuckled. "Ever since I've watched NASCAR on T.V., I have loved this stock car when I was just a kid. Its NASCAR driver, Jeff Gordon, began racing from 1992, and he has been racing ever since. I've always wanted to get behind the wheel of this stock car, and now I have the chance to do so."

"Do you think you can handle it?" Sunset teased.

Charlie just smirked. "I know I can."

"Okay, everybody!" Akira warned. "Nightmare Moon's getting closer! If you have to go, now is the time!"

"Wait!" Bobby held up his hands. "We didn't give the girls their own race cars!"

"It's alright, Bobby!" Rarity placed her hand on his shoulder. "We'll be fine with the cars we already have."

"Yeah!" Rainbow agreed. "You guys don't have to do that for us."

"What matters the most is saving your world right now." Starlight added.

Applejack summoned her F-150 out, "So, if we're all done here, Let's git' a move on, y'all!"

With that being said, Team Furious and the Rainbooms all switched their street clothes with their battle outfits. Team Furious climbed into their modified racing vehicles, while the Rainbooms quickly summoned their street cars, and Akira pointed out the exit tunnel out of the lab. With a last goodbye to their new ally, the two teams raced into the tunnel.

The tunnel was wide enough for two lanes of cars to travel side by side, and they were approaching closer to the outside exit. That is when they found themselves roaring out of a secret exit of Hillcrest Country Club park and onto Century Part East street. Knowing that they are in for a fight of their lives, Team Furious, the Rainbooms, and Starlight raced into the distance.