• Published 15th Dec 2018
  • 1,749 Views, 71 Comments

Road to Harmony - Artthriller94



How will a team of street racers find their way back to their world, with the help from the Rainbooms?

  • ...
5
 71
 1,749

3: The Night is Young

The full moon was shining brightly, over the quiet streets of Canterlot City, but the quietness didn't last long, though, as the sounds of engines were revving loudly in the distance. Over at DJ Pon-3's Music Center, teenagers and young adults everywhere were cheering to the drivers, standing near their vehicles, all lined up at the starting line, waiting for a fourth racer to show. There were two JDM Imports, one bearing a slight resemblance of a 2004 Mazda RX-8, the other a generic Honda Civic, and the third car a close replica of the McLaren P1. The racers waited impatiently for someone to step up, but so far, nobody volunteered.

Finally, DJ Pon-3, better referred to as Vinyl Scratch in the real world, who was in charge of the race, sighed and approached to the front of the cars, raising her right hand to get the show going. However, as all cars were revving as loud as they could, Vinyl's visors suddenly drooped down, revealing her wide, surprised eyes. Everyone was staring at the bright lights coming from the horizon. All of the audience stood in silence, as a supercharged, gloss-black 1970 Dodge Charger, made its way to the empty spot, on the right side of the road. The driver and passenger doors opened, to reveal Charlie Johnson and Sunset Shimmer, climbing out of the cockpit. The crowd cheered for Sunset, since there was a good reason for it: Most of the crowd were the CHS students, and Sunset occasionally go to the street races, to be the starting girl. This time, they were a little surprised to see Sunset in the passenger seat. Sunset raised her hand to settle the crowd, and gave a speech.

"Ladies and gentlemen," Sunset announced, proudly, "I would like to introduce the new, foreign exchange student, who will be joining us in Canterlot High, very soon!" She pointed to Charlie, who waved. "His name is Charlie Johnson, driver of this 1970 Dodge Charger!" Everyone greeted him and cheered. "Him and his team, who are not here at this moment, will be studying at CHS, for a short period of time. But, I'm sure you'll give them a big welcome to the CHS experience. So, let's hear it for Charlie, everybody!" All the people, and students, clapped and cheered loudly, as Charlie smiled with pride. Then, Sunset placed her hand on his shoulder. "Knock 'em off the track." Sunset winked, while Charlie nodded.

Soon, after the introductions were over, all engines were fired up on all cylinders. Vinyl Scratch smirked, and raised her hand in the air, as Charlie gave an expression of pure determination, while Sunset sat in the passenger seat again, excited to know how fast this Charger is. Before they knew, Vinyl's hand dropped fast, and Charlie growled, as he slammed on the throttle hard, causing his muscle car to pull off a Wheelie, and getting a head start of the competition. Everyone gasped, including Sunset, at the spectacle they were just witnessing, and about nine seconds later, the front end of the Charger landed down, putting it on all four wheels again. Sunset relaxed herself, as Charlie was now in the zone, keeping his car in the lead, ahead of the trailing P1. The JDM Imports didn't stand a chance, as the two cars ahead of them were too fast. They retired from the race, leaving the Charger and the P1 to have a duel for the lead.

The layout of the track wasn't too big, though. This was a three lap circuit race, around two miles. There were a few lead changes; whenever the Charger goes through a corner, the braking and the handling slows it down, due to the weight, while the P1 overtakes it. However, the Charger is incredibly fast on the straights, passing the P1 again and again. It was on the second lap, that Charlie decided to try to drift through the corners. Maybe that will give him an advantage of widening the gap, and win the race. The next corner was coming up, and he thought this was the right time to drift.

"Hang on, Sunset." Charlie warned.

"Hang on to w-whaa-a-a…!!!" Sunset was interrupted, as Charlie turned the steering wheel left, and the back end of the car swayed to the right. Sunset gave a small scream, thinking that they're going to crash, but then Charlie turned the wheel quickly to the right, and the car slide gracefully through the turn, and was straightened back. They have successfully performed a drift, as the crowd roared with excitement. But Sunset was still a little scared after that.

"You're not gonna' try to do that again, are you?" Sunset asked, nervously. Charlie could see that she didn't want to pull a stunt like that again. He smiled and shook his head.

"No," said Charlie, "I suppose not." He then focused back to the race at hand, when he saw the P1 closing in on him in the rear view mirror. Suddenly, the start/finish went right passed them, and the final lap had just begun. The P1 was right on the Charger's rear bumper, and Charlie began to sweat.

"Okay," Charlie said, shifting gear. "It's gonna' get intense, from this point on!"

Charlie was right. When they were on the last turn, their opponent was neck and neck with them, on the last straightway. To their surprise, the P1 started to pick up speed, nearly passing them. But Charlie was still determined to win.

"Guess I'll have to use it!" Charlie thought.

He finally decided to use his secret weapon...NOS. On his dashboard, he pressed on a red button, labeled "NOS," and within a few seconds, blue flames blasted out of the rear exhausts, and the Charger topped out a speed of two-hundred miles per hour, leaving the P1 in the dust. Charlie gently applied the brakes, as he and Sunset crossed the finish line, coming to a stop.

Everyone gathered around Charlie's Charger to congratulate his, and Sunset's, victory. They even gave the driver of the P1 a pat on the back, as he walked towards the winners.

"Hey," the driver said, giving Charlie and Sunset a handshake. "That was an epic race! You're quite the driver! Congratulations."

"Thanks." Charlie smiled. "You weren't so bad yourself."

"I'm Maverick. I'm a transfer student at CHS. I hope to see you there, when vacation's over." Maverick waved goodbye, as he walked toward his car. Charlie could see that him and Maverick are going to be good friends.

(One hour later)

It was late, when Sunset showed Charlie the way to her home. As they were driving, Sunset asked Charlie how he performed a Wheelie, why he drifted, and where that blast of speed. Charlie answered in the best way he could explain, and Sunset was intrigued at how much he knows about street racing.

"Wow," she said, "It's like street racing is second nature to you."

Charlie chuckled. "Actually, I got into street racing because of my most favorite movie franchise back home."

Sunset raised an eyebrow. "Really?"

"It's called 'The Fast and the Furious'..." and Charlie began telling her everything about the storyline, the cars, and the characters, from the first movie to the eighth, with two more in development. He even told Sunset that he, and his friends, replicated their cars from the first two films. Except that, for Bobby's Skyline, he placed the NOS tanks in the back seat, instead of the passenger seat. And Charlie's car, has two seats, not one. So, they modified their cars to suit their conditions.

At last, they arrived at their destination. Sunset's house was a tall, two-story red building, with a yellow rooftop. It almost looked liked the Ghostbusters firehouse, only simpler. Charlie liked it, he always wanted to stay in a tall house, and see the city from slightly above.

"Nice house, Sunset." Charlie complimented.

"Thanks," said Sunset, "It's a nice, cozy place to stay, even though it isn't in Equestria."

She lead Charlie to the front door, and placed her house keys inside the lock. She opened the door to reveal the living room, and turned on the lights. The walls were painted cyan and red, decorated with a few sunflowers, a widescreen TV, and a kitchen on the other side. On the left side of the wall, next to the door, was the staircase leading up to Sunset's bedroom, a bathroom, and one guestroom. The door to Sunset's bedroom opened, letting Sunset and Charlie to look inside. There was a small microwave, above the small refrigerator, and a computer workplace. Impressively, a small platform, above the workplace, had Sunset's bed on top, a drawer, shelves with books among the wall, with white Christmas lights wrapped along the guardrail. And finally, a glass box, with dirt on the bottom, sat on top of another drawer next to the window, with a yellow Leopard Gecko inside the box, wagging it's tail upon seeing Sunset.

"Aww, hello, Ray!" Sunset said, with a happy face. She scooped her pet gecko up with her hand. "I'm back, and I've brought a new friend, who will be staying with us for a while." She looked at Charlie. ""Charlie, this is Ray. He's a Leopard Gecko, who I adopted from Fluttershy's Animal Shelter. Isn't he adorable?"

Charlie couldn't help but put a happy face, too. Ray really is adorable. "Yeah, he is. Hi, Ray. Nice to meet you." He rubbed Ray's head with his finger, and Ray's hindleg started to thump up and down, like a rabbit. It was a sign that he likes Charlie, and to be rubbed. The two friends laughed, and Sunset placed Ray back to his box, and he curled up to sleep. Charlie started to yawn, and so did Sunset. It was past their bedtime, and they need to meet up with the rest of their friends at school in the morning.

"There's a guestroom right next door to your left." yawned Sunset. "It has a bed, and everything, if you want to stay there."

"Thank you, Sunset," said Charlie.

"You're welcome." Sunset smiled. "And thanks for that thrilling racing experience back there. Maybe you can teach me how to drive like you?"

That made Charlie's face light up with joy. "Sure. It will be fun!" He then started out the door. "Good night, Sunset."

"Good night." Sunset replied, and Charlie closed her door.

The guestroom was the same as Sunset's room, only the platform was on the opposite side, with a bed on top. Two drawers in sight, a chair and desk, and that's it. Charlie found some red sleeping shirt and pants in the closet, quickly changed, and went up the platform stairs. Before they went to sleep, both Sunset and Charlie thought of the whole day today. Charlie, and his friends, meeting the Rainbooms, taking Sunset to the street race, and hearing her laughing with joy as he raced on. It's almost like destiny brought them from their world to here, on purpose. And Charlie is going to teach Sunset how to drive, as soon as possible. Both their eyelids started to close, and the two friends fell fast asleep.

Author's Note:

The original character, Maverick, belongs to DGJabberwocky. I will accept anyone's OCs, if they want to be placed in my story as minor characters, or even minor villains. Just send me a private message. Thank you.