• Published 15th Dec 2018
  • 1,749 Views, 71 Comments

Road to Harmony - Artthriller94



How will a team of street racers find their way back to their world, with the help from the Rainbooms?

  • ...
5
 71
 1,749

6: The Spectrometer 2.0

A few moments later, at Sci-Twi's home, Team Furious and the Rainbooms were already at the basement, where Twilight had many inventions from Crystal Prep stored away. Her friends, as well as Team Furious, were amazed of her gizmos and gadgets, but the one that surprised them all the most, especially to Sunset Shimmer, was the Spectrometer hanging on a wall. It was the same little device from the Friendship Games that took the Rainbooms' magic, and when Principal Cinch forced Twilight to unleash the magic it contained, it transformed her into the magic-crazed monster, Midnight Sparkle. It still haunts her, even to this day, but Twilight eventually got over her past mistakes and corrected the Spectrometer's settings. But her friends didn't know why she kept it.

"Uh, Twilight?" Sunset broke the silence. "Why do you still have that thing?"

"Yeah, it stole all of our magic away, during the Friendship Games!" Rainbow Dash put in.

Twilight looked down at the floor. "I know that. But I kept it because I wanted to rework on the settings, so that it won't ever happen again, to any of you... or me. This time, I have set it up to show the location of any magic problem, and whenever I open the lid, it will display any available information, of the selected magical entity, on a holographic screen. Kinda' like the way Team Furious can open up a screen, by tapping on their wrists."

"I guess I can live with that," said Rarity.

"Me too." agreed Fluttershy, nervously.

"Well, all ah' can say is, ah' hope you're right, Twilight." Applejack said in an unsure tone.

"Maybe this time, it won't go as bad as last time." Pinkie smiled sheepishly.

Twilight could see the uneasy expressions on all of her friends. She couldn't blame them though, after what they have been through. Even she wanted to make sure that the device is safe now, so she decided to test it on someone else who has magic inside of them.

"Well..." Twilight's voice sounded quite nervous as Fluttershy's, "why don't we test it out, just to be sure?"

Unfortunately, the Rainbooms stayed silent and said nothing, until...

"Test me." The voice belonged to Rachael. The Rainbooms were surprised, and confused, that she wanted to be the test subject. "Back at Sweet Shoppe, you guys saw how my hand was set on fire, but didn't burn me on contact. If that device can show us how I was able to survive, then that's good enough for me. Sometimes in life, you have to take risks, for better or worse. That's something I have learned from experience."

Hearing those words had made Twilight feel a little better, and looking back at her friends, they looked at each other with a little hint of nervousness.

"Go ahead, Twilight." Charlie spoke out. "I agree with Rachael. We'll never know what will happen, unless we give it a try. It's like my father always told me. We learn by doing."

Twilight suddenly had gained a lot more confidence than before. In no time, she pressed a button on the Spectrometer. As before, it started to beep slowly, flashing a red light on the outer ring. Then, she raised and pointed it towards Rachael's location.

"Okay," said Twilight, "I'm going to scan you, and if something goes wrong, you let me know."

Rachael just gave a thumbs up, showing no fear. With a nod, Twilight pressed on another button, and the Spectrometer gave a strange noise, meaning that it was in the process of scanning. Luckily, nothing wrong had happen to Rachael, and the Rainbooms felt at ease. When the noise was done, a small icon appeared in the round screen of the Spectrometer. Everybody took a look, when Rachael quietly gasped at the icon she saw. It showed of a golden "V" emblem, but none of the Rainbooms knew what it meant.

"Is that a letter?" Sunset simply asked.

Well, yes. It's a V, but it doesn't seem very special to me," said Twilight.

They all turned to Rachael, who was glaring at the emblem in shock. She knows that the V was not a good sign, and Team Furious knows what she was thinking. Finally, David interrupted to beak the tension.

"Um, does that thing have the information that we needed?" David asked.

"Oh, I think so." Twilight said, shaking the tense feeling from seeing Rachael's face. Slowly, she opened the top lid, and sure enough, a holographic screen appeared out of it, displaying all of the things that Rachael can do. Twilight began to read the text.

"It says here, that Rachael can control the elements of fire, without harming her physical body, inside and out! She can shape any fire weapons using her mind and hands, fight off enemies with great might and firepower, jump higher than normal, and can even set her car on fire without damaging it!" Twilight, and the others, were astonished of Rachael's fire-based abilities. Twilight continued to read out the rest of the small details. "It also says that Rachael can telepathically communication to her teammates, heal any wounds or damage in a few seconds with her hands, and can sense any danger or presence of an enemy from far distances. This is incredible!" Twilight shouted. "I can't believe my Spectrometer can read that much magic, and tell us everything it knows!"

"Does it show any other vehicles I can drive?" Rachael asked. Hearing all about her new powers had, suddenly, made her all "fired up." Twilight looked again, and saw a picture of an unfamiliar car on the bottom right corner. But Team Furious gasped at the car, and Rachael said the name of it. "Christine."

The car was a red and white 1958 Plymouth Fury, the infamous movie car from John Carpenter's Christine. In the movie, Christine was a possessed killer car, murdering people who stands in her way, and can regenerate her parts like new. The most iconic scene from the movie, was when Christine crashed into a gas station, and was set on fire while running over a local school bully. When Twilight read the part of Rachael being able to set her cars on fire, and can heal any damage or wounds, it sounded a lot like Christine's abilities. Maybe Rachael and Christine are connected, somehow?

"Who's Christine?" Rainbow Dash raised a brow.

"That car. That's Christine." Rachael pointed out. "She is actually a 1958 Plymouth Fury, from our world."

"Hmm. You're talking about it, as if it was a person, or something," said Rarity.

"Well, Christine is also a movie car." Charlie answered. "She's comes from a thriller film of the same name."

"Thriller?" Fluttershy started to shake. "Y-you mean l-like a scary m-m-movie?!"

"Unfortunately, yes, Fluttershy." Rachael replied. "I have seen the movie before, so you girls, probably, don't want to hear it. Right?" The Rainbooms shook their heads slowly, in agreement.

Sunset began to wonder what the V emblem meant. "Maybe that V is Rachael's Cutie Mark."

Everybody looked at Sunset with perplexed glances. "My...Cutie Mark?" Rachael asked.

"You do know what a Cutie Mark is, right?"

"Yeah, it's a mark that represents a pony's one talent."

"I think it also represents their role in life." Charlie interrupted.

"Like how these balloons on my skirt represents me throwing parties all the time?" asked Pinkie.

"Exactly, Pinkie."

"Well, I think it's my turn to be scanned." said Bobby. "I want to know what I can do, and what my Cutie Mark is."

"Alright then," said Twilight. She reset the Spectrometer to default, pointed to Bobby, and a yellow light began to flash. She scanned his body, and then another icon appeared on the round screen, showing an Autobot symbol this time. Bobby was very excited, for he was always a Transformers fan since he was a kid. Twilight displayed the screen in the middle of the basement and read out loud. "Bobby's special abilities enables him to change from a human to a robot, and control electrical elements. He can switch his entire arms into powerful weapons, armor his entire body with robot parts, transform into any vehicle, and can scan the area with his eyes for any incoming enemies. There are some abilities that are included from Rachael's. Telepathic communication, healing, and sense of danger. And he drives this car." Twilight pointed her finger on a yellow and black striped 1977 Chevrolet Camaro Z28, from the first Transformers movie. The only difference to the Camaro, which is the vehicle for the Autobot Bumblebee, was that it didn't have any rust or dirt on the paint work, and the chromed parts were all polished.

"Nice!" shouted Bobby. "I've always wondered what it's like to be an Autobot! This car is from..."

"Oh! Oh! Me next! Me next!" Lily interrupted, jumping with so much excitement. "Please, Twilight? PLEASE?!"

"Okay, okay, Lily." Twilight calmed Lily down. "Just relax and stand still."

Lily just smiled, and Bobby grumbled a bit, as Twilight began the whole process again.


A few minutes have passed, and Twilight had just finished scanning most of Team furious, with Charlie being the last one left. The following abilities for the team were read out in the following order: Lily can perform incredible martial arts maneuvers, with great strength and speed. She can even use her hands and fists to control water elements and slow down enemies. Her choice of transportation is Herbie, the living 1963 Volkswagen Beetle. This Herbie, however, is modified to look like a street racer, from the movie "Herbie: Fully Loaded," when he was customized with custom sideskirts, a whale-tail spoiler, and a small transparent trunk window to show the engine inside. Lily's Cutie Mark is a number 53, with red, white, and blue stripes running down behind the number.

David's abilities grants him paranormal and supernatural investigation and elimination equipment, by using his mind and hand gestures. In other words, David has, somewhat, become a Ghostbuster, and his alternative car is the Ghostbusters' Ecto-1, a white and red striped 1959 Cadillac Miller-Meteor ambulance/hearse, complete with blue siren lights, and its own ghost-busting equipment on its roof rack. His Cutie Mark is the iconic No Ghost logo, which shows a red crossed circle blocking a ghost from escaping.

Sam's abilities lets him use super strength, an special archery bow that can shoot out orange explosive plasma that knocks out enemies without killing them. Sam can also control certain earth elements to his advantage, while his secondary vehicle is the General Lee, a 1969 Dodge Charger R/T, from the Dukes of Hazzard. Being a former cowboy himself, Sam loved watching the Dukes of Hazzard television series with his family. His Cutie Mark was the black and white 01 numbers.

Even with different powers, they all share the same three abilities: Telepathic communication, quick healing, and sense of danger and enemy presence. Now, they all needed to find out what are Charlie's special abilities. And so, when Twilight pointed the Spectrometer towards him, Charlie nodded his head, and the device scanned him. However, as soon as it was done, there was a beeping sound and the Spectrometer flashed white, yellow, orange, and red. Twilight, and everyone else, was a little confused of what the lights and sound could mean. But Twilight just shook off the strange feeling and she opened the lid. Unfortunately, when the screen popped up, all they could see was a static display, like on a broken old TV. Therefore, there was nothing to find out about Charlie's powers, or his secondary vehicle.

"Huh?" Twilight simply said.

"W-what happened?" Charlie asked, nervously.

"I don't know. I think something's wrong with my device." Twilight began to shake the Spectrometer, trying to "fix" it.

"AAWWW!" Lily sighed. "Does that mean we won't get to see what Charlie can do? Or see his new car?"

"Ah' guess not, Lily," said Sam.

Everybody was a little disappointed; especially Charlie. He wanted to look at his alternate car, and anything else that he might use to his advantage. Upon seeing Charlie's sad expression, Rarity went over to his side, and wrapped her arm around him to ease his troubled mind. "Don't worry, darling. It will be alright. Just know that we will be there to help you, in any messy situation."

Rainbow Dash scratched her head, "But, we all saw what the others can do, so why could he be the only one without powers? I mean, he's their leader, right?"

Then, Sunset had a theory. "Maybe he's the only one whose power hasn't truly been awakened yet. Something tells me that we need to give Charlie's powers a little push, if you know what I mean."

The whole gang tried to think of what Sunset meant by that, but they couldn't. What could they do to get Charlie's abilities working? It's not like there is a spell that can activate his powers with a finger snap, since the Rainbooms' geodes doesn't allow them to do that, anyway. They all thought long and hard, until Charlie spoke up. "I don't know what you mean by 'a little push,' Sunset, but I think Starlight Glimmer, or Princess Twilight, might have the answer for that. I just don't want to disturb them from whatever they are doing in Equestria, right now."

"I understand, Charlie." Sunset smiled. "What I meant is like this: back in Equestria, the Element of Harmony consists of six powerful artifacts, which are Honesty, Kindness, Laughter, Generosity, Loyalty, and Magic. These artifacts can stop any evil force that tries to destroy peace and harmony in that world. If one of these are removed from the others, they will not work, and Equestria would be defenseless. I guess that's why Princess Celestia sent Princess Twilight here, in the first place." Sunset looked down to the ground, remembering her defeat against the Princess of Friendship. She perked up again and continued, "So, my guess is that Team Furious must have some kind of different elements within themselves, and they can't work without all of them working together."

Everyone took in all the information, while Twilight double-checked her Spectrometer for, if any, anything about Team Furious (excluding Charlie) having whatever elements are bestowed with. Unfortunately, she didn't find any information, closed the lid, and sighed deeply. Suddenly, something inside Sunset's bag flashed and buzzed, and Sunset pulled out her magical journal and opened to the last pages. "Guys, Starlight wrote back!" This caught their attention.

"What did she wrote?" asked Fluttershy.

Sunset read what was written down on paper, and when she was done, she gasped and turned to Team Furious. "She says the Royal Princesses wants to see all of you in Equestria!"

Team Furious jumped and gasped, shocked to hear that Princess Celestia, Princess Luna, Princess Cadence, and Princess Twilight all wanted to see them in person. Sure, they all wanted to go to the world of talking mystical creatures, and explore its landscapes, but they didn't think it was a lot sooner.

"Really?! Now?" Charlie was still shocked, as well as his friends.

"Bu-b-but, it's still too soon!" David quivered.

"You're coming too, right Sunset?" Rachael asked. Sunset was taken aback by that question.

"Well... I..." Before Sunset could say anymore, another message from Starlight appear, and Sunset quickly looked at it. Her pupils suddenly shrank in horror of what Starlight wrote back.

"I'm afraid so." Sunset confirmed, still in utter shock.

Seeing that she was still horrified, Charlie took Sunset' journal and read the message out loud.

Dear Sunset, Princess Twilight and I have talked to the Royal Princesses about your friends, Team Furious, and about what they are capable of doing. It seems that they are intrigued of this new discovery and they want to meet them face to face. Also, Princess Celestia wants to see you again, to ask you what you've been doing ever since you've left Equestria. Come over to Canterlot, and bring Team Furious with you, as soon as possible. Me and Princess Twilight will be there when you all cross over through the portal.

"Wow." gasped Charlie. "Princess Celestia wants to see you again, Sunset."

Sunset calmed herself down when Charlie read the message, but she was still anxious of facing Celestia again, thinking that she will still not be happy around Sunset, after she ran away from her studies as Celetia's prized pupil. But, Charlie still wouldn't let Sunset get discouraged, as he placed his hand on her shoulder. "Don't worry. We'll be right by your side, whenever you need us. Just tell her what you've learned and experienced with your friends, and you'll see that everything will be okay."

Sunset wiped her tears away and smiled. She really was lucky to have good friends, even friends she met only a few days ago. "Thanks."

"Well, time's a' wastin'." Applejack declared. "We need to go back to th' school, and send them off."

"Your right, Applejack," said Twilight. "You guys should take this, as well. Just in case you discover Charlie's abilities along the way." Twilight handed her Spectrometer over to Sunset.

"Thanks, Twilight." Sunset hugged her friend, and Twilight smiled back. Then, Sunset gave Twilight her journal. "I am gonna' give you this, so that we'll be in contact, if anything goes wrong." Twilight simply nodded. Soon, the Rainbooms and Team Furious walked out of Twilight's house, and returned to their cars.


After they raced each other to Canterlot High, they all stood in front of the school statue, and Sunset took a deep breath. After a few conversations with Charlie, she was ready to go back home, for a temporary moment.

"Well," Sunset began, facing to her friends, with Team Furious by her right side. "This is it. We'll be sure to get back soon. Keep the journal close at all times, okay?"

"Don't worry!" Rainbow Dash shouted. "We be at Pinkie's house when you get back!"

"Stay safe, dears!" Rarity called out.

"Say hello to Princess Twilight for me!!!" Pinkie Pie screamed.

"I just wish we can take our cars with us." Rachael sighed. "I think it would be cool to race around Equestrian roads."

"Ah' know how you feel, Rachael," Sam chuckled, "but ah' don't think they've got gas stations there, to refuel our cars." Rachael slumped at that comment.

"In any case, ladies first." Charlie gestured to Sunset. Taking her time, Sunset looked at the face of the statue, took another deep breath, and walked through the portal.

One by one, Team Furious went through the portal, and when they were all gone, the Rainbooms quickly noticed that Sunset's car, and Team Furious' cars, were fading away from existence. They were really surprised at first, but they suspected that their cars can't stay here without their owners. So, they said nothing and walked back to their cars, and drove to Pinkie Pie's house.

Author's Note:

Just a quick note, since this story involves Team Furious being friends with Sunset Shimmer, and that their home world is in danger by dangerous Equestrian villians, I figure Sunset would need to see Princess Celestia sooner, for some help, before the events of Forgotten Friendship. This story is just for fun, and is not meant to twist the EQG storyline in any way. Also, for those of you following this story, sorry for the long wait. I am in community college, and things tend to get in the way. :)