• Published 25th Oct 2018
  • 2,517 Views, 266 Comments

A 14th Century Supplement in Celestia's Court - Antiquarian



A short compendium of supplementary data, bonus chapters, spinoff chapters, and spoof chapters for A 14th Century Friar in Celestia's Court.

  • ...
2
 266
 2,517

Deleted Scene - Stand Firm

Author's Note:

Back when I was originally scripting Stand Tall (where Friar Jacques goes to fight the timber wolves) there was going to be a brief scene wherein Song analyzed the situation after his vanishing act and, just to be safe, ordered the ponies to armor up. What I liked about the scene was that it showed Song's tactical awareness as well as her ability to read people and predict their reasoning. It also showed her taking command and served to drive home the point that, while Fritters might be the best fighter and Marble the best scout, there's a reason she's in command.

I ended up scrapping the scene because that chapter really needed to focus on Friar Jacques. Much as I would have loved to show more of Song (even for such a brief scene), it would not have served the story to leave it in that chapter - it would have distracted from Friar Jacques, and I couldn't justify doing that.

Hope you enjoy this unpolished deleted scene. You might well see some EqG fun in the semi-near future.

The announcement that Jacques had gone missing was greeted with great dismay by all present. Rarity exclaimed how positively dangerous it was that the old man was wandering about at night, and Fluttershy whimpered how scary it is to be lost in the woods. Applejack and Twilight alternated worst-case scenarios, ranging from falling in a ditch to taking a tumble down a ravine to an uncontrolled magical surge. Pinkie and Rainbow loudly called for a rescue party while Big Mac wordlessly reached for the emergency lanterns. Marble had to restrain them from running off immediately and Fritters was attempting, with little success, to calm down Applejack and the others.

Which left Morning Song to silently ponder the situation.

Realistically, he could just be going out for a walk. Taking his sword is not, by itself, necessarily significant. Many soldiers like to go about armed, and, depending on the nature of his nightmare, it might be simply a matter of comfort.

She grimaced and rubbed her chin. However, the suspicious nature of the dream and the fact that the Shades are on the table means we can’t just dismiss this as the rash actions of an old soldier battling his nightmares. The lieutenant glanced around the room. And, with the Bearers present, we can’t afford to take too many chances. Better to ready ourselves, just in case.

“Boss?”

Song looked up to see Marble looking at her with a beseeching look. The short stallion had his hooves full trying to keep a search party from running half-cocked into the night. Time to put a stop to that.

There’s a certain art to making yourself heard over a panicking group without shouting. As a vocalist, a therapist, and an officer, Song had practiced that art for the almost three decades. “Quiet,” she commanded.

Ponies are herd animals by nature, and often revert to those instincts in moments of crisis as a survival mechanism. Nine heads turned to face her as conversation stopped. Good.

“Fritters and Marble, begin a close search of the inner grounds. Expand your search if needed. If you pick up his trail, send a runner back before following,” she ordered. Saluting in acknowledgement, both stallions slipped out. “Flight Officer Dash?” Rainbow Dash came to attention. “Retrieve your gear from the barn and slot yourself into their SAR pattern once you’re combat ready.”

“Yes, ma’am!” cried Dash, vanishing in a blur.

Twilight frowned. “Why does she need her—?”

Song didn’t pause to answer. “Applejack, get into your rig and grab mine while you’re at it.” She addressed the remaining mares and Big Mac. “The rest of us will meet you in the barn.”

Applejack blinked rapidly as she processed the commands. “Um, sure thing, Song,” she said, dashing upstairs.

Twilight opened her mouth to ask the obvious question, but Song brushed past her, making her way to the barn. “Talk while we move, Miss Sparkle. We don’t have time to lose.”

“Wait, Song, what are we—” Twilight had to run to catch the briskly trotting mare. “Morning Song, wait! Why are you telling everypony to get armored up?”

Song quirked a humorless smile. “Simple, Twilight. In this line of work, the ponies who plan for the worst live the longest.”