• Published 25th Oct 2018
  • 2,495 Views, 266 Comments

A 14th Century Supplement in Celestia's Court - Antiquarian



A short compendium of supplementary data, bonus chapters, spinoff chapters, and spoof chapters for A 14th Century Friar in Celestia's Court.

  • ...
2
 266
 2,495

A 14th Century Friar at Canterlot High

Great Priory St. Gilles, Provencal, Commandry of the Knights of St. John, Anno Domini 1321

Jacques sat in Methuselah’s room, having just finished relating his worries to the old man, beginning with the dreams of Acre before telling how this night the dream had changed, and finally ending with his decision to bring his sword when he came to see his mentor. He found himself staring at the sheathed blade. “Honestly, I’m not entirely sure why I felt compelled to collect it. It just felt…right I suppose.” He shook his head. “I can’t imagine my reasoning. My enemies these days are of the spirit, not of the flesh.”

He was not a little surprised when Methuselah began to laugh hysterically. The old monk’s wheezing cackle was like that of a madman, and Jacques felt uneasy for reasons he could not articulate. “Um… Father Methuselah?”

“It’s finally happening!” laughed Methuselah. “All these years of waiting, three Inquisitions to verify that I am neither mad nor possessed, even the loss of my eyesight, and finally the vision is to be fulfilled.”

Jacques felt a chill run down his spine at the apparent ravings. “You are not making any sense, old one. Are you quite well? Need I fetch a physician?”

Regaining his composure somewhat, the ancient man waved him off. “No, my friend. I am quite sound of mind, thankfully. I simply find myself in the unusual position of sympathizing with old Simeon, who was told he would not die until he had seen the Christ. This is a matter of infinitely less weight, of course, but it has still been a source of some consternation to me wondering when I might see its conclusion.” Before Jacques could ask after his cryptic words, Methuselah pointed a frail hand at his bed. “Beneath the bed you will find a sack filled with everything a priest should need for his travels, as well as a bottle of wine and a large tome. Pray, fetch the last two.”

Thoroughly mystified, Jacques did as he was bade. He found the bottle first. At the sound of the liquid sloshing inside, Methuselah grinned. “An 871 Burgundy. A very good year. Not to be imbibed in indiscreet fashion, of course, but a little sip may help ease the shock.”

Jacques considered demanding that the older man explain what he meant, but reasoned that all would be made clear when he retrieved the other item.

Instead, his confusion only grew. The massive tome appeared to be at least the size of the average illuminated bible, which raised all sorts of questions by itself. He was further surprised to see three leaden stamps upon the cover, marking three separate Inquisitions which had reviewed the document. Most unusual, however, was the title.

All You’ve Ever Wanted to Know About the Complexities of Inter-Universe Travel but Were Afraid to Ask,” he read aloud. Methuselah’s only response was to give a slight chuckle and gesture for him to read. Jacques opened to the first page and continued, “Chapter One: On Terms and Definitions Related to Powers Granted Unto Mortals by God in Different Settings.” He caught sight of a scrawled margin note. “See also chapters from A 14th Century Friar in Celestia’s Court, most notably: ‘The Fire,’ ‘So What You’re Saying Is You’re NOT Evil?,’ ‘My Dear Readers… (A Non-Canon Interlude),’ ‘Intro to Equestria 101,’ ‘First Lessons (Part 2),’…” he trailed off before he could read the rest and simply turned to stare mutely at Methuselah.

Despite his blindness, the older man seemed to feel his gaze. “Take my advice, my young friend: don’t read those until you’ve finished the section on multiverse theory.” Jacques blinked, his mind now on another question. Once more, Methuselah answered it without prompting. “Bottle opener is in the second drawer from the top.”


Three days and several thousand pages later…

Jacques massaged his temples against a headache that felt rather like a hangover but, in fact, had nothing whatsoever to do with alcohol. Truthfully, he had made a point of imbibing only a little. Reality was enough of a headache as it was. “So, hypothetically,” he began, “thousands of other universes exist in which we’ve had this exact conversation with only mild changes, and yet in each one I am sent to a different world?”

“Hypothetically, yes,” replied Methuselah, swirling the wine in his goblet. “And don’t even get me started on the issue of timelines. I practically get a nosebleed just thinking about it.”

Jacques groaned and closed his eyes. “On one hand, I find it rather helpful that an angel directly appeared and laid all of this out for you in a clear and, for the content, concise manner, but this is a horrifying amount to take in all at once.”

Methuselah gave him an arch look. “A lot to take in all at once, you say? I had to transcribe the entire message over the course of a month of nightly visits from the angel! I’m just grateful that I was miraculously still fit for my duties the next day, despite having no sleep. People who seek glimpses of the Almighty’s designs seldom stop to consider how far beyond us those designs truly are. Even this tiny glimpse is enough to make my head spin. If it weren’t God’s will that you and I be able to process this, I think we’d both be gibbering on the floor from the magnitude of it all.”

“But it gets easier after Multiverse Theory, right?”

The elderly prior blinked, then burst out in hysterical laughter for a full thirty seconds before ceasing abruptly and stating, “No.”


One reading of ‘Chapter Fifty-Six: On Time-Travel’ later…

Jacques stared with bloodshot eyes at the far wall. Methuselah sat peacefully in his rocking chair, sipping his wine. A long silence hung between them.

“But if the mere observation of an experiment changes its results, then shouldn’t it be logically impossible to fix a misaligned timeline by any means other than preventing the person from travelling back in time in the first place?” exclaimed Jacques abruptly.

“Well, you would think that at first glance, but if you turn to page 2291, you will note that Starswhirl’s Theory of Temporal Distortion was, not surprisingly, ahead of its time, and correctly noted that it was technically possible, so long as certain criteria were met, including…”


Great Priory St. Gilles, Provencal, Commandry of the Knights of St. John, Anno Domini 1321, shortly after the conclusion of a study session of arduous and epic proportions…

“Well, my son,” creaked Methuselah as he walked Jacques towards the portal that would lead him into the multiverse, “I must say that you’ve processed all of this information astonishingly fast. There are still a few sections you haven’t mastered yet, but nothing that should keep you from your mission. I am very proud of you.”

“Thank you, Father. I’m proud of me too,” replied Jacques honestly. Methuselah laughed. “Say, Father,” continued Jacques, “how was I able to learn this so quickly?”

Methuselah shrugged. “Well, can’t say for certain, but I’d wager it’s because this world is closer to the Fourth Wall than most.”

Jacques blinked and turned to stare. “What?” he asked.

“What?” echoed Methuselah.


Canterlot High, Canterlot, United States of America

A transformed Sunset Shimmer flew cackling over the heads of the students, working her dark magic to transform them into an army of mindless drones. Twilight and her human friends watched with horror, the princess madly wracking her brain to find some way to stop what was happening.

Her quest for answers came up dry.

It didn’t help that Sunset had apparently decided the occasion called for a song, or that her singing voice oddly reminded Twilight of some recordings she’d heard of herself.

“Oh man, oh man!” exclaimed Rainbow Dash. “Did she just turn into some kind of demon?”

Despite the catastrophic nature of the situation, Twilight could not prevent the more clinical part of her from going into lecture mode. Feeling a strange urge to adjust glasses she didn’t wear, she replied, “Well, no. That would be absurd. While she has taken on an appearance best described as that of a ‘raging she-demon,’ what has actually occurred her is that her hateful emotions and vices, combined with the fact that she stole a power she’s not supposed to have, gave physical form to the evil in the form of a second personality which has transmogrified her body and taken control of her mind.”

Pinkie stroked her chin thoughtfully. “So, basically, it’s like Bruce Banner having the Other Guy, except this one is a pure evil meanie?”

Twilight blinked. “I… have no idea what you’re talking about, but something tells me the answer is ‘yes.’”

The curly-haired girl nodded. “K.”

“Have you seen this before, darling?” asked Rarity.

Sunset’s villainous song reached ever grander notes.

“Oh, sure,” replied Twilight with the casual tone that comes only from repeated brushes with world-ending catastrophe. “When Princess Luna sought power not her own and was consequently consumed by the resulting dark magic to became Nightmare Moon, my friends and I used the Elements of Harmony to destroy the evil personality and free her.”

There was a contemplative pause as Sunset Shimmer reached her crescendo. “But we don’t have the Elements of Harmony,” ventured Applejack.

“Correct,” concurred Twilight.

“…meaning?”

Sunset, her song finished, turned baleful eyes upon them.

Twilight gulped. “We’re hosed.”


Saint Giles Priory, Provencal, France

Friar Jacques and Prior Methuselah stood before the crackling vortex of a portal located, of all places, in the pantry. Jacques clicked his tongue. “So… how long has this been here?”

“I haven’t the foggiest idea,” replied Methuselah. “Which is quite incredible when you consider how often I’ve used this pantry.”

Jacques grunted noncommittally. “I thought the portal was in the hedgerows.”

“No, you’re thinking of the portal to the world of universally powerful sapient ponies,” corrected Methuselah. “This portal is the one to the future Earth that’s been effected by the world of universally powerful sapient ponies.”

“I see,” said Jacques slowly. The two stood in silence for a moment. “Father, do you ever feel like your life is a self-parody?”

“Constantly. Have a safe trip.”


Canterlot High, Canterlot

Canterlot High School had borne witness to many strange happenings over the years. The Piglet Stampede of ’44. The Duck With the Head of a Man Concert of ’71. The catastrophic Nightmare Night of ’89. And, of course, the still-infamous Noodle Incident of ’95.

The present year’s Fall Formal had quickly shaped up to be the strangest by far, stranger even than the Noodle Incident of ’95 (though, admittedly, it was a closer contest than anyone who remembered the Noodle Incident was really comfortable discussing).

As far as physical dangers, of course, there was no contest. Having ripped the front off the school and mind-controlled the student body, the maddened Sunset Shimmer now hovered above Twilight and her friends, mocking them as she prepared to avenge herself upon them. As she and Twilight matched words, no one noticed the portal flare and a new challenger enter the field of battle.


“Gee, the gang really is all back together again!” mocked Sunset as the pitiful group of friends closed around the princess. “Now step aside! Twilight has interfered with my plans one too many times already! She needs to be dealt with!”

“You’ll have to get through us!” challenged Rainbow Dash.

Sunset blinked at the brazen declaration. “You… do know that I can do that, right? I mean, I can literally go through you. Like…” she held out a clawed hand and manifested a basketball sized orb of fire, “it would not even be a contest.” Plainly terrified, the friends, astonishingly, did not back down. A cruel smile crossed Sunset’s features. “Alternatively,” she stretched out her claws and beckoned. Dark magic gripped Twilight and yanked her from her friends’ meager protection, drawing her through the air towards the gloating Sunset. “I can make you watch how little your friendship counts for!”

The five girls cried out in dismay and impotent rage as the terrified Twilight drifted ever closer to her doom. To her credit, the princess struggled gamely against Sunset’s magic, but there was nothing she could do. No way she would survive—

“DEUS VULT!

A sheet of pure white fire washed over Sunset, and she screamed in pain. The fire did not touch her flesh, but it burned the magic within her. Such was her anguish that she was forced to abandon the grip on Twilight and soar back several pony lengths to escape the attack.

Sunset hissed and rubbed at her eyes, which had been blinded by the attack. Who dares?! How dare?! What is going on?! As her vision gradually cleared, she cast her gaze about, seeking both her attacker and her nemesis, the latter of whom must have at least broken her legs in the fall when Sunset lost her grip. At least she won’t be running away. Once I’ve finished off this interloper I’ll—

Her train of thought was chopped off by the sight of an old, bearded human in a black monk’s robe, holding a quivering Twilight Sparkle in one arm and a gleaming sword in the other.

To her mounting astonishment, the man grinned at her. “Bonjour, mademoiselle,” he rumbled politely. “If I may, it strikes me that you have had the misfortune of succumbing to the maddening effects of ill-gotten magic. Might I interest you in a peaceful expulsion of the damage?”

Silence hung over the battlefield as Sunset’s brain processed this turn of events with all the speed of Internet Explorer on a badly used twelve-year-old laptop. Eventually, she found her voice. “What the flying—”


Jacques winced at the profanities flying from the young lady’s mouth. “<Oh dear>,” he murmured in French. “<One more thing to address later>.” Delicately, she set down the gawping teenager he’d caught from the air. “Jeune femme, are you uninjured?” he asked.

The startled girl stood stiffly, eyes wide as dinner plates. “Um… yes?” she managed. “Thank you, Mister…”

“Friar Jacques de Charrette, at your service,” he replied with a slight bow. “And you?”

“Princess Twilight Sparkle of Equestria,” blurted the young woman, who immediately clapped hands over her mouth.

“Just gonna give that secret up, huh?” drawled the hat-wearing girl who trotted up with the others.

Jacques gave a deeper bow. “Princesse,” he corrected. The old man pointed to the expletive-spewing winged one. “Your crown, I presume?”

Twilight nodded. “That’s Sunset Shimmer. She stole the crown, which contains the Element of Magic. It’s a powerful artifact, but when she stole it—”

“The fact that she claimed a power which she was not meant to have caused her to be overwhelmed with the power, which is why she was transformed into a monstrous entity, possibly manifesting a second personality in the process over which she has little, if any, control,” he replied blandly. Seeing that the woman in question was nearing the end of her rant, he raised his sword defensively. “So very glad that I didn’t skip ‘Chapter 13: The Impact of Motivation and Morality Upon Magical Effects’ and ‘Chapter 72: On the Effects of Wielding Illegitimate Power’.”

His statement was greeted with blank stares. “Who—”

Sunset charged an attack. Jacques brought back his sword for a swing. “Behind me please,” he ordered. The girls complied as the fireball shot down. Jacques slashed with his sword and a line of white fire bisected the incoming attack. Infuriated, Sunset sent down a flurry of lighter attacks, which Jacques parried with ease. “Now, I believe you were about to ask something, Princess?”

Who are you?!

Jacques smiled dryly, but didn’t look at her as he deflected another round of blasts. “Would you believe a time-travelling warrior priest from the 14th Century?”

“Honestly? Yes.”

That made Jacques look over. “Really?” he exclaimed, almost missing a deflection in his shock. “Heavens, your life must be quite eventful.”

“You don’t know the half of it,” replied Twilight tiredly.

Jacques, growing tired of constant parrying, stuck the point of his sword in the ground and swept it in a lateral arc, throwing up a protective wall of fire. Gesturing with his hand, he brought the fire fully around them to make a dome. He smiled in satisfaction as he surveyed his handiwork. “Ah, it is marvelous to simply know all of this,” remarked the old man. “Can you imagine if I had to learn all of this as I went along over the course of years of exhaustive training and practice of arms rather than a few days with a large book? And that’s to say nothing of the incredible and borderline comedic levels of power I’m displaying.”

“Yeah, it’s good to have the power boost for a hastily thrown together joke fight scene,” agreed the poofy-haired one, “but, on the other hand, the struggle version would probably make for a more satisfying long-term narrative because of the innate desire of Humanity for edifying tales of heroes enduring trials.”

“True enough,” acknowledged Jacques, ignoring the blank looks the other teens were now giving their companion. “Down to brass tacks, however, I have a few clarifying questions about the Element of Magic. Am I correct in my belief that it is, essentially, a holy relic tied to virtue rather than to whoever arbitrarily picks it up?”

“Well, yes,” replied Twilight. “Sunset isn’t really wielding the Element of Magic. She’s wielding the rather substantial amount of magic that’s stored in the crown, but the Element itself rejects her.”

“Meaning that the Element itself is apart from the crown,” said Jacques. “Theoretically, it could be wielding without the crown then?”

“Yes?” answered Twilight uncertainly. “I mean, it should be possible, as Nightmare Moon ‘destroyed’ the Elements, only to find that they weren’t destroyed, because they were tied to the higher virtues and the ponies who represented them. But that doesn’t help us here, because we don’t have the other Elements, unless,” her gaze drifted to her friends. “Unless…” she struck her forehead with the palm of her hand. “I’m an idiot. Hold on a second, Friar. We’ve got this.”

“We do?” quavered the timid-looking girl.

“We do. Step one involves standing in a circle holding hands. Step two involves a speech…”


Sunset Shimmer shrieked her rage to the heavens as strike after strike impacted impotently off the massive dome shield. The effort did nothing but leave her panting. As she recovered her strength, a thought occurred to her and she couldn’t help but facepalm. I have a freaking army. I can just order them into the dome! I doubt this guy wants to flambe anyone… wait, actually, that might not work. His magic seemed to hurt my magic, not me, so if I just march them in there it might do the opposite of what I want it to.

From inside the dome, she heard Twilight shouting something about ‘the Magic of Friendship’ and how ‘Sunset cannot wield the true Element’, yadda yadda yadda, but Sunset was too busy contemplating her next move to listen.

Maybe if I send in one or two as a test and go from there. Scientific method in action. Who to send, though… let’s see… who’s the most expendable—

A massive double-helix of rainbow energy shot up from the dome shield, arcing across the sky before rocketing down…

Straight for Sunset Shimmer.

“Oh son of a—”

FRIENDSHIP!


Jacques and his newfound friends stared at the smoldering crater, the discombobulated student body stumbling in a daze around them. The friar nodded sagely and remarked, “Well. That was bracing.” Glancing at his companions, he saw that three of them had sprouted wings. “Is that… normal?”


Sunset coughed as the dust cleared, leaving her at the bottom of a crater, broken and humiliated, with all her sins laid bare, even to herself. She was free of the Other Girl now, and in the wake of her departure she saw clearly what she’d done. Saw that she’d enslaved and nearly murdered innocents for the sake of her own petty hate.

If she could have died right then, she would have.

The was the crunch of gravel, and through her tears Sunset saw a pair of sandaled feet and a black robe. Her eyes drifted up, and looming over her was the mysterious warrior monk who had denied her wicked victory. His face was expressionless as he regarded her, his grey eyes unreadable, but the sword in his hand spoke volumes. It seemed that she would get her death wish after all. She bowed her head, resigned to her fate, knowing that she deserved this end and simply grateful that she’d been released from the madness before the end.

But the end didn’t come.

There was a rasp of steel on leather and the rustle of fabric. Astonished she was not dead, Sunset opened her eyes to see that he’d sheathed his sword and knelt sit at her level.

“My name is Friar Jacques de Charette,” he said kindly in his basso French accent. “And you?”

Sunset gaped. He’d said it so casually, as though this was a meeting at a dinner party rather than the aftermath of a titanic battle that had ended with her getting purged of an evil personality spawned of dark magic and left at the bottom of a crater. Instinct took over, and she responded automatically. “Sun— Sunset Shimmer.”

“Well, Miss Shimmer, you have dabbled in things you should not have.” His tone was plain and without apology. She looked away in shame, but a soft chuckle bade her look back. He sat with a kindly smile on his face, holding out a gnarled hand. “Would you like me to show you a better path?”

She stared at the hand, blinking away tears, then up at his eyes. A thousand questions were on her mind, but only one really mattered. “…why?”

“Because to save a soul is worth my life,” the man replied simply.

He said it as though there were not great mystery to it, but Sunset didn’t believe him. How could it be that simple? How could she just be saved after everything that she’d done? But he seemed so sure of himself. And, in all fairness, he and the others did defeat me…

Taking a deep breath and shutting her eyes, Sunset clasped his hand.


Twilight and the others helped Jacques and Sunset out of the pit. The princess was gratified to see that, despite the tightness in their body language as they did it, her human friends didn’t hesitate to pull the girl up. They then attempted to thank the old man for his actions, but he waved them aside. “I am merely an old soldier doing his duty,” he replied. Turning, he fixed Twilight with an odd gaze. “Tell me, Princess. You are not really human are you?”

How in the hay did he…?! “Um, well, no,” she admitted, tugging at her skirt slightly.

“I’m sure that’s quite a story,” he said with a smile. “Much as I would like to hear it, however, there are spiritual matters which must be attended to first. Could you perhaps direct me to the nearest Catholic church?”

The alicorn-turned-human gulped, having not the faintest idea. “Um…”

“There’s one about a half mile up the road, there, padre,” interjected Applejack, coming to her rescue. “Big brick buildin’. Saint Moses the Black.”

Jacques chuckled. “The bandit-turned-monk. A redemption story of legendary proportions. Fitting, under the circumstances. Well, we shall be departing in a moment, but first,” he stepped aside to let Sunset speak. “I imagine Sunset Shimmer has something to say to you.”

The unicorn-human stepped forward slowly, tears welling in her eyes. “Princess Twilight, I—” she sank to her knees, sobbing. “I’m so sorry! I’m so, so sorry!”

It took some time for Sunset to calm down enough to fully apologize, but Twilight was patient. Such matters took time. Once the young woman had finished, Twilight gave her a short lecture about friendship. As for forgiveness, it was readily given. Her friends followed suit and promised to keep Sunset on the straight-and-narrow once Twilight returned home. With that, Jacques and Sunset departed, the former humming under his breath and occasionally asking Sunset about some piece of the scenery. At one point he became very animated at the sight of a car, and Sunset had to spend a moment explaining some feature of it to him before he finally returned to the mission at hand.

The group was silent after his departure. At least, until Fluttershy said, “He seemed nice.”

Rainbow cleared her throat. “Sooooooo, crazy sword-toting old guy coming out of a portal… he one of your spec ops guys or something?”

“Oh, don’t be ridiculous, Rainbow,” chided Rarity. “He had no idea who Twilight was and is obviously a Catholic monk of some sort or another.”

“Yeah,” chuckled Applejack. “An’ somehow Ah don’t think they got Catholic monks in Equestria. Er…” she glanced at Twilight for confirmation, “right?”

Twilight shook her head. “I don’t know where he’s from, but I’d be willing to bet my crown it wasn’t Equestria.”

“Maybe don’t bet the thing we just got back,” growled Spike.

The princess ignored him, staring after the retreating figure of the monk. “I have to admit, though, there’s something eerily familiar about him. Almost as though we’ve met before.”

“Yeah,” chimed in Pinkie. “Like in an alternate reality you haven’t become a princess yet but he travelled from Earth in the past to Equestria to help you fight a shadowy group of cultists practicing the Dark Arts!”

“Yeah,” said Twilight. “Wait, what?”

“What?” echoed Pinkie.


Thus began the tale of Friar Jacques de Charette, who would face many foes, right many wrongs, mend many broken lives, and become regarded as a saint in his own lifetime. The future would see him as the patron of soldiers, confessors, former criminals, those consumed by power, heroes of destiny, portal-travelers, and impromptu epic metal musical throwdowns. But that’s another story…

Author's Note:

I finally wrote it!

Sure, it's not the best thing I've ever written, but, hey, I mostly wrote it to set up for Friar Jacques vs. the Sirens.

Which I will write!

...

Eventually!

...

Really!

...

Don't hurt me! :trollestia: