• Published 11th Sep 2018
  • 4,532 Views, 116 Comments

The Drake Bros. - BrawnyBold



Spike attracts the hearts of certain girls but it is hard for them to get his attention as he spends most of his time with his delinquent brother, Scales. The girls try to win Spike's love while staying on Scales' good side.

  • ...
14
 116
 4,532

The Friendship Games Part 2

Today was the first day of the Friendship Games and everyone was gathered in the main hall of CHS while waiting for Crystal Prep to arrive. The doors opened and Principal Cinch was the first to enter the school. Then Sunset Shimmer entered along with the rest of the Crystal Prep students who will compete in the Friendship Games.

Spike noticed that Sunset was standing near five other girls. He guessed that those girls are a part of the Shadowbolts. One girl had short, light purple hair with a yellow, pointy flower hairpin on it. Spike recalled that girl was named Sunny Flare and she acts high and mighty despite Sunset being the leader. He also recognizes the next girl as Sour Sweet as she had long pink and light green hair that was tied into a ponytail. Rainbow specifically warned Spike to stay away from Sour Sweet as her personality was as bitter as her name. The third girl had a pair of orange goggles on top of her dark blue, short hair. Spike remembered that her name was Indigo Zap. Rainbow really hates Indigo Zap considering that they are still bitter rivals. Another girl had long green hair and she wore pink headphones over her ears. The only things Rainbow told Spike about this girl was that her name was Lemon Zest and she is always listening to her music. The last girl had long, light blue hair that was tied into long pig tails. Her eyes were covered with a small pair of orange glasses. Spike recognized her as Sugar Coat and Rainbow mentioned that Sugar Coat has no filter when she speaks.

Principal Celestia made her to the center of the hall with a microphone in her hand.

"Now that all of Crystal Prep has arrived, we will begin the first day of the Friendship Games." Principal Celestia said before she approached Principal Cinch. "Principal Cinch, do you have anything to say before we start the games?"

Principal Cinch accepted the microphone from Principal Celestia "Before we start the first challenge, I would like to declare that my students will win with little effort. Canterlot High may have improved during recent years, but they are still no match against Crystal Prep as we are the best of the best." Principal Cinch then simply returned the microphone to Principal Celestia and returned to the other Crystal Prep students. Principal Cinch's words caused some mixed reactions. The Crystal Prep students acted smug as they agreed with their principal. Some of the students of CHS growled and glared angrily at Principal Cinch for saying such harsh things about their school.

Principal Celestia laughed nervously. "How about we get started with the first challenge?"

"The first event will be...the Academic Decathlon!" Vice Principal Luna announced. "Each team will be scored based on how well they do on certain school subjects. The remaining six students of each team will move on to the next event."


The first part of the academic decathlon was chemistry. Each student had to follow a certain set of formulas to make a certain chemical. Almost all of the students of Crystal Prep and Canterlot High were able to follow the formula properly and they all created the same chemical. Principal Celestia, Vice Principal Luna, and Principal Cinch took a good look at each of the students' test tubes.

"Well, it looks like all of the students have completed the formula properly." Principal Celestia said. "Looks like this resulted with a draw-" Principal Celestia was interrupted when an explosion occurred. The source of the explosion was Derpy as her test tube exploded in front of her.

"Oops, looks like I missed a step." Derby said as she rubbed her head in embarrassment. She wasn't hurt but the Shadowbolts won the point.


The next part was home economic and the students have to pair up and bake anything that could impress Principal Celestia, Vice Principal Luna, and Principal Cinch. Most of the student pairs baked some decent looking cakes while some of the students made cakes that looked like it came from of the trash. The three judges tried a cake that was made by Crystal Prep students Suri Polomare and Upper Crust. It was a purple, multi-layered cake with yellow frosted tulips on it. The judges took a bite from a slice and they expressed their feedbacks.

"This cake is quite delicious." Principal Celestia said.

"Indeed, I also like how decorative the cake is." Vice Principal Luna added.

"What did you expect from my students?" Principal Cinch remarked.
It wasn't until Pinkie and Fluttershy appeared with their cake which was dark red and had more layers than Suri and Upper Crust's cake.

"Excuse me!" Pinkie said to get the judges' attention. "Allow me to serve you our cake." Pinkie said as she cut one half of the cake to reveal an exact image of the Mona Lisa inside. This shocked the three judges and it resulted with them giving a point to Canterlot High. Even Principal Cinch had to admit that Pinkie and Fluttershy's cake was good.


The third part of the Academic Decathlon was woodshop. Each student had to pair up again to make a birdhouse. The students of CHS and Crystal Prep first drawn up some blueprints for each birdhouse.

"Man, building a birdhouse is tougher than I thought." Rainbow said as she scratched her head in confusion. Applejack placed a hand on Rainbow's shoulder.

"Don't worry, y'all." Applejack said with a wink. "I got a lot of experience with woodshop from working at my family's farm. We will win this for sure." When the students were done with their birdhouses, the judges came to see how well the birdhouses turned out. Each pair of CHS students made a decent looking birdhouse. The only exception was Micro Chips and Sandalwood as their birdhouse ended up looking terrible. Vice Principal Luna poked the birdhouse with a pen and it ended up collapsing.

"Even a filthy pigeon wouldn't consider living in that abomination." Principal Cinch commented.

"Then allow us to show you how a proper birdhouse is made." Sugar Coat said as she removed a red blanket to reveal the treehouse she and Indigo Zap made. Their treehouse was larger than the other students' birdhouses as it had two stories. There was also some painted flames on the birdhouse's front to make it look very flashy.

"My word," Principal Celestia said as she looked at the birdhouse. "This is an excellent birdhouse."

"See, goes to show that Crystal Prep goes beyond anything your school has to offer. I believe that my students get the point, am I wrong?" Principal Cinch asked. As much as Principal Celestia and Vice Principal Luna hated Principal Cinch's words, they had to agree that Crystal Prep earned another point.


The fourth part of the Academic Decathlon took place at CHS's auditorium. Each team had only seven students who were chosen for the challenge. The seven students of CHS were Twilight, Rainbow Dash, Rarity, Applejack, Fluttershy, Pinkie Pie, and Spike. The students of Crystal Prep were Sunset Shimmer, Sunny Flare, Sugar Coat, Indigo Zap, Sour Sweet, and Lemon Zest.

"The next challenge will be a spelling bee." Principal Celestia announced. "Each student from both teams must spell certain words correctly. The student who spells the most words correctly will score a point for his or her school and move on to the final challenge." Rainbow Dash was the first one to walk up to the microphone.

"I got this in the bag." Rainbow said to herself.

"The word you need to spell is...hippopotamus." Vice Principal Luna announced.

"Hippopotamus," Rainbow repeated. "H-i-p-p-o-p-o-t-a-m-a-s, hippopotamus." When Rainbow was done, a buzzer went off.

"I am sorry, but that is not how you spell that word." Vice Principal Luna replied.

"Dang it!" Rainbow said as she stomped back to her team in anger. The next student to walk towards the microphone was Lemon Zest.

"The word you need to spell is... munchausenism." Vice Principal Luna announced.

"Munchausenism," Lemon Zest repeated. "M-u-n-c-h-o-u-s-e-n-i-s-m, munchausenism." Lemon Zest finished, but a buzzer went off.

"I am sorry, but that is not how you spell that word." Vice Principal Luna replied. Lemon Zest breathed heavily as she made her way back to her team. Applejack was next as she made her way to the front of the stage.

"The word you need to spell is...onomatopoeia." Vice Principal Luna announced.

"Onomatopoeia," Applejack repeated. "O-n-o-m-a-t-o-p-e-i-a, onomatopoeia." A buzzer went off after Applejack was done.

"I am sorry, but that is not how you spell that word." Vice Principal Luna replied. Applejack went back to her team and covered her face with her hat as she felt really embarrassed. The spelling bee continued on with students spelling most of the words wrong.

"C-y-m-o-t-r-i-c-o-u-s, cymotrichous." Sugar Coat said. A buzzer went off to signal that the spelling was incorrect.

"I-m-i-g-r-a-t-i-o-n, immigration," Fluttershy said. A buzzer went off.

"R-h-o-m-b-o-s, rhombus," Sunny Flare said. A buzzer went off.

"C-h-a-u-f-f-u-e-r, chauffeur," Indigo Zap said. A buzzer went off.

"E-s-c-h-u-a-r-y, estuary," Rarity said. A buzzer went off.

"I-s-o-s-c-e-l-e-s, isosceles," Twilight said. This time, there was a ding that went off.

"That word is spelled correctly." Vice Principal Luna. "Canterlot High has won the spelling bee." The students of CHS cheered as their team has won once again.


The stage was changed so it only had two large chalkboards.

"The final challenge will be...mathematics!" Principal Celestia announced through a microphone. "Each team must pick one student from their team to solve a very long math equation. The two students must finish the math equation within 5 minutes. The student who solves the equation correctly wins the Academic Decathlon. So teams, pick your student!" Each team began to discuss who should be the one to solve the equation.

"The obvious choice has got to be Twilight." Rainbow said as she and her other teammates nodded in agreement.

"W-what?!" Twilight said in shock. "I-I can't! I don't want to repeat what happened last year."

"But you improved so much since then." Rarity said. "Remember that one time you were solving equations while practicing playing your clarinet?"

"Yeah, but this is timed and I'm against Sunset Shimmer again!" Twilight said. Spike placed both of his hands on Twilight's shoulders to get her attention.

"Twilight, you can do this." Spike said in a serious tone. "Not only because you're better at mathematics than all of us, but also because you can show Sunset Shimmer that you're not scared of her." Twilight took some time to think about it before she spoke.

"Alright, I'll do it." Twilight said in confidence as she made her way towards one of the chalkboard. Sunset Shimmer made her way towards the other chalkboard with a smirk on her face.

"Good luck, Twilight." Sunset said with a wink. Twilight gulped as she turned to her chalkboard that showed an extremely long math equation.

"Alright, the timer is set." Principal Celestia said while holding a stopwatch. "On your mark, get set, go!" Principal Celestia pressed the timer and the two students began to write on their boards. The other students watched in suspense to see who will finish the equation in time and answer it correctly. Sweat dripped from Twilight's forehead as she was putting all of her brain power into solving her math equation. Sunset didn't show any signs of nervousness or fatigue writing on her chalkboard. The timer continued to tick as the minutes went by.

"One minute left," Principal Celestia announced. Twilight increased her speed as she was running out of time. "And...time! Put your chalk down!" Both Sunset and Twilight quickly put down their chalks to show that they were done. Twilight panted heavily as she had put most of her energy into solving her equation. Sunset sighed in relief as she too was able to complete her equation before the time was up. Principal Cinch made her way to the center of the stage as she is the one who will judge Sunset and Twilight's work. Principal Cinch adjusted her glasses as she carefully analyzed each part of the girls' boards to see if there were any flaws on their equations. When Principal Cinch was done, she returned to the stage's center with her eyes closed.

"Incorrect," Principal Cinch said as she pointed at Twilight's board, declaring that Twilight's answer was wrong.

"That means Crystal Prep has won the Academic Decathlon." Vice Principal Luna announced. Twilight looked down in shame while the Crystal Prep students cheered for Sunset. When the cheering died down, Principal Celestia spoke through her microphone.

"Well," Principal Celestia said as she cleared her throat. "I have to say that both teams made good efforts during the Academic Decathlon. Let's not celebrate too soon as there are still more events coming up for the Friendship Games. The second event will start tomorrow, so be prepared and good luck." When Principal Celestia was done speaking, the lights turned back on and the crowd started to exit the auditorium. Twilight made her way back to her friends with an extremely sad look on her face. Much to Twilight's surprise, her friends all gathered around her while cheering.

"W-why are you guys so happy? We lost the first event." Twilight said.

"Yeah, but at least we gave it our all. We were also able to steal some wins from Crystal Prep." Applejack said.

"Plus, we can still beat those snobs tomorrow during the second day of the games." Rainbow said.

"We also thought that you did a lot better than last year." Rarity said. "We knew you could do it." Twilight couldn't help but shed tears of happiness thanks to her friends.

"Aw, thanks you guys." Twilight said as she wiped off some of her tears.

"C'mon," Rainbow hollered while pointing at the distance. "Let's get ready for tomorrow! Crystal Prep won't be in first place for long!" The rest of Rainbow's friends cheered as they exited the auditorium. Sunset and her other Crystal Prep students watched as the CHS student left the room.

"Those guys think they're so great just because they won a couple of times." Sunny Flare commented. "I can't wait until we wipe the floor with them again on the second event."

"All in due time, Sunny." Sunset responded. "For now, let's head back to Crystal Prep and prepare to give it our all. If we want to prove to those CHS students that we're the best of the best, we have to go all out to show them why they will always remain in second place." The other Crystal Prep students nodded in agreement and exited the auditorium.