• Published 11th Sep 2018
  • 4,523 Views, 116 Comments

The Drake Bros. - BrawnyBold



Spike attracts the hearts of certain girls but it is hard for them to get his attention as he spends most of his time with his delinquent brother, Scales. The girls try to win Spike's love while staying on Scales' good side.

  • ...
14
 116
 4,523

Volunteering at the Animal Shelter

Every student of Canterlot High made their way inside of the school during the early morning. The Drake Bros. walked made their way to the school's entrance to notice Fluttershy and the rest of the Mane Six handing out flyers.

"Hey girls!" Spike said as he hurried to his friends.

"Hey, Spike!" Twilight said after she gave away a flyer.

"What are you passing out?" Spike asked.

"These are flyers for volunteers at the Canterlot Animal Shelter." Rainbow said.

"There weren't enough staff to help take care of the many animals at the shelter." Fluttershy said. "That's why I'm asking some of the students to help out for the animals!"

"We're actually going to volunteer at the shelter after school." Applejack said. "Do you guys want to come?"

"I will!" Spike cheered. "I would do anything to help you guys and the animals!"

"Sure, why not?" Scales agreed. The girls finished passing out flyers and joined the boys for their classes.


School came and gone with the Drake Bros. making their way to the Canterlot Animal Shelter. Spike opened the door to see the various animals that were inside some cages. Spike then noticed Fluttershy sitting behind the desk.

"Hey Fluttershy," Spike said to get her attention.

"Oh, hey Spike." Fluttershy said in a sad tone. Spike heard the sadness from her voice.

"What's wrong?" Spike asked.

"The girls and the other volunteers couldn't come because something came up." Tears flowed from Fluttershy's eyes "Now I feel overwhelmed from all of the work I'll have to do to make up for it." Spike hurried over to Fluttershy to give her some pats on the back.

"It's alright," Spike assured. "we can still pull off the work with just the three of us." Fluttershy looked up to Spike.

"You think so?" Fluttershy asked.

"It's no problem." Scales assured as he placed a hand on Fluttershy's shoulder. "Just tell us your instructions and we will get it done." Fluttershy wiped some tears off and smiled to the Drake Bros.

"Thank you." Fluttershy said. The brothers and Fluttershy began their work with Fluttershy telling the boys what food should be given to the dogs and cats. As they poured the food into the bowls, the dogs and cats chowed down to their hearts' content. The next task for the volunteers would be to give the dogs and cats baths. As the volunteers soaked and lathered the animals, it was getting difficult as some of the dogs struggled to get out while all of the cats tried to claw their way out because of their hatred of water. Scales and Spike did their best to keep the dogs in the water and avoid getting scratched by the cats. It took a while before the brothers and Fluttershy were finally done with washing the animals.

"Great job, boys!" Fluttershy praised while closing the door to the cats and dogs. "Now on to cleaning the hamster habitat!" The brothers groaned before they got up.

"It's alright, boys." Fluttershy said. "I've cleaned the hamster habitat many times before." Fluttershy said as she opened the door. "All you have to do is to take care of the hamsters while I clean up their cages." A large swarm of hamsters crawled out of the room and towards the Drake Bros.

"Have fun!" Fluttershy said before she went inside the hamster habitat. An hour passed before the hamster habitat was clean and shiny thanks to Fluttershy. Before Fluttershy continued looking at her handiwork, she heard banging from the glass. She turned to see Spike banging on the window to get her attention. Fluttershy hurried out to see the hamsters running around while acting crazy. She also saw Scales running around while some hamsters were hanging on his face, ears, and even on top of his heads.

"What happened here?!" Fluttershy asked.

"I tried to play with them but they ended up getting wild and making messes everywhere!" Spike replied. "Also, some of them jumped on top of Scales." Some of the hamsters ran straight to Spike and crawled under his pants.

"Whoa!" Spike yelled as he felt the hamsters crawling all the way up to his undies. Spike panicked and tried to shake the hamsters out of his pants. Fluttershy quickly ran to her backpack to pull out an instrument: a tambourine. She shook it once and the hamsters immediately stopped. The Drake Bros. were confused from the hamsters' sudden pause. Fluttershy began shaking and hitting her tambourine in a catchy rhythm while the hamsters followed to where her music was coming from. Fluttershy was able to lead the hamsters back to their habit and she closed the door. The brothers were left with shock and awe from Fluttershy's actions.

"That was awesome!" Spike said with shock.

"Oh, it was nothing." Fluttershy said with a blush.

"How were you able to do that?!" Spike asked.

"The hamsters always act up when I'm not around. If that happened, I would calm them down with the sound of this tambourine." Fluttershy said as she showed the boys the instrument.

"Just like the Pipe Piper." Scales responded.

"In a way." Fluttershy said as she put her tambourine back into her backpack. "Now let's take care of the birds' habitat." The brothers followed Fluttershy into another room. The room had a large cage that contained a lot of yellow and green parakeets.

"Now to take care of the parakeets!" Fluttershy cheered as she put on some latex gloves.

"I'll replace the newspapers on the bottom of the cages." Fluttershy said. "You guys just keep filling up the parakeets' bird feeders." The brothers nodded as they each took a bucket of seeds and began their task. Scales and Spike took their time with pouring the seeds into the feeders before the parakeets got there to eat. Fluttershy was humming to herself while taking out the newspapers that were covered with bird droppings. The parakeets hear Fluttershy's hums and decided to join her by tweeting along. It wasn't long till all of the birds sang along with Fluttershy as if she was a fairy tale princess. Spike was so stunned in awe from Fluttershy's influence on the animals that he didn't notice that he accidentally pushed one of the feeders and it fell to the floor.

"Uh oh!" Spike yelled. The sound of the impact spooked not only Fluttershy but also all of the parakeets, causing all of the parakeets to fly around in panic. To make matters worse, the cage's door was open and most of the parakeets flew out. Fluttershy and the brothers did their best to try and calm some of the parakeets down. Fluttershy noticed one of the parakeets leaving the room and she ran after it. Spike also saw Fluttershy leaving the room.

"Fluttershy, wait!" Spike said as he ran after her. Fluttershy was able to find the parakeet inside of a walk-in closet and she slowly walked in so she wouldn't scare the poor bird. She saw the parakeet was flying around the ceiling.

"It's okay, Mr. Parakeet." Fluttershy assured as she reached out to the parakeet. "It was just a fallen feeder. There is no need for you to panic." Fluttershy tried to reach the parakeet but the bird was too high. So she stepped on top of some boxes to reach for the parakeet. Spike approached the walk-in closet's entrance to see Fluttershy standing on some boxes while reaching for a parakeet. As Fluttershy was about to touch the parakeet, she lost her balance and was about to fall to the ground.

"Fluttershy!" Spike yelled before he rushed in to catch Fluttershy just before she fell. Spike crashed first on to the ground with Fluttershy laying on top of him. Fluttershy was in shock from not only falling to the ground but also from the fact that her lips were kissing Spike's! It took about a few seconds before she reacted by getting up from Spike as he slowly got up as well.

"Ow," Spike complained as he rubbed his head. Footsteps were heard until Scales showed up to the closet.

"Is everyone alright?!" Scales yelled before he turned on the lights. He saw Spike getting up while rubbing his head and Fluttershy was sitting up with her fingers touching her lips. She also had a small blush on her face as well.

"I think I'm good." Spike replied before facing Fluttershy. "Are you okay, Fluttershy?" Fluttershy gave no response as she was too distracted from what just happened.

"Fluttershy?" Spike asked again. Fluttershy quickly pushed Spike and Scales out of the room and locked the door behind them. Spike turned to knock on the door.

"What's wrong, Fluttershy?" Spike asked.

"Go away!" Fluttershy yelled out, startling both of the brothers. There was a silent moment between the brothers before Spike spoke up.

"We'll just clean up the parakeets' room and head home then." The brothers were able to get the parakeets back into the cage and then they made their way home. Spike didn't say anything as he was confused from Fluttershy strange behavior.

It was night time as Fluttershy was laying on her bed while taking in what happened that evening. She felt terrified about what was going to happen if Spike remembered their accidental kiss.


The next day at Canterlot High, Fluttershy slowly approached her locker to get her books.

"Hey Fluttershy," Twilight called out as she and the rest of the Mane Six approached Fluttershy.

"Oh, hey girls." Fluttershy said as she closed her locker.

"How was volunteering at the animal shelter?" Rarity asked. "I hope it wasn't too bad without us."

"It was fine, Spike and Scales were able to help me get the job done." Fluttershy replied.

"At least you got some help taking care of the animals." Applejack said.

"We're really sorry about not being at the animal shelter." Rainbow apologized.

"Yeah, it made me sick to my stomach for calling out especially for a friend." Pinkie said as she rubbed her stomach.

"Girls, please!" Fluttershy said in a louder tone. The girls were a bit shocked from Fluttershy's change in tone.

"It's alright, you all had other responsibilities to take care of. I forgive you." Fluttershy said with a weak smile.

"Fluttershy!" Spike yelled out to the Mane Six. Fluttershy blushed and turned her head to avoid Spike's gaze.

"Look, I'm sorry I scared the parakeets." Spike apologized. "It was an accident." Fluttershy struggled to give a response before she replied.

"It was fine since it was an accident." Fluttershy said. The school bell rang and everyone made their way to their classes.

"We should get to class then," Twilight said as she and the rest of the Mane Six went their separate ways. Before Spike left, Fluttershy placed a hand on him to make him stop.

"Hey, Spike." Fluttershy said.

"Yeah, Fluttershy?" Spike asked. It took all of Fluttershy's might before she took the risk.

"Did you remember anything when you ran into the closet yesterday?" Fluttershy asked as she prepared for the worst.

Spike thought for a moment. "I only remembered catching you and then I hit my head. I couldn't see anything else probably because it was dark." Fluttershy felt a heavy weight came off her chest from Spike's reply.

"It's nothing then." Fluttershy assured. As Spike made his way to his class, Fluttershy sighed heavily as he didn't recall their kiss.

'It would be best not to tell the girls,' Fluttershy thought while making her way to class. 'Who knows how they will react about me kissing Spike!'