• Published 9th Aug 2018
  • 2,961 Views, 311 Comments

According to Plan! - The Buck It Bros



After reading a letter from her parents Octavia and her friends make a plan to stop her arranged marriage.

  • ...
8
 311
 2,961

The Big Reveal

The Big Reveal

Upon Vinyl dashing out of the dining room, Sir Trotterlot closed the doors. He stood facing away from them as he took in a calming breath. “What the buck happened to you, dear Sister?” He said slowly turning around to look at Harmony and Alto.

“Excuse me? Nothing happened to me Dear Brother. I’m the same pony you grew up with.” Harmony retorted mustering as much disdain in her voice as she could towards the explorer.

“No, you are not the Harmony I grew up with anymore. There was a time that you were caring and sweet, a time where Octy was the most important thing in your life. But that isn’t the case anymore now is it?” Asked Sir Trotterlot calmly trotting closer to his sister.

“How dare you suggest that I don’t care about my own Daughter? She is my only child and I want the very best for her. That is why I picked a wealthy stallion from a proper family to be her husband.” Answered Harmony maintaining her sense of pride.

“How can you claim to have Octy’s best interests in mind when you blatantly ignore the fact that she doesn’t like stallions. Do you know how much she used to look up to you? When I looked after her, all she ever talked or asked me about was you. She couldn’t wait to go home and spend time with you.” Said the Explorer knowing that his sister had either forgotten or did not know.

“As all young fillies do, you act as if that ever changed.” Harmony retorted giving a scuffed laugh at that idea of such a thing.

“Oh, but it did, around the time that you cold-heartedly switched focus from your daughter to your career. She just entered middle school and you began passing her off on me more times than not.” Sir Trotterlot countered and glared at her showing a bit of anger.

“That is a lie, and Octavia still looks up to me.” She snapped back at his comment.

“Less and less with each passing day. You are losing your daughter with your poor choices. You care more about your career and the name you built than the ponies that are tied to it.” The Explorer said narrowed his eyes.

“I worked hard to make sure that Melody is a name that means something. I insured my place in history and in doing so I acquired fame, fortune and everything that goes with it. What have your life choices brought you Brother? A metal leg and no home?” Asked Harmony mockingly looking to end this argument.

“You are right, Dear Sister. I don’t have a home and I did lose my leg, but you know what? I don’t care, for I have something that you don’t. Something I wouldn’t trade for all the bits and fame that Equestria could ever offer.” Trotterlot sly said walking over to the doors and opened them with a hoof looking out to the Canterlot streets.

“Oh, and what is that? Research on beasts and animals no pony cares about?” She teased thinking his career to be meaningless.

Sir Trotterlot turned to face Harmony, sad expression on his face “The love and respect of your daughter. Farewell, Dear Sister.” He spoke in a sad tone turning back to the streets and started walking “I suggest you take good a look in the mirror and reflect on what kind of pony you’ve become Harmony. Do that before you lose your only chance of regaining Octy’s faith in you.” And with those words, the Explorer walked away, the doors closing softly behind him.

Harmony stood dumbstruck and huffed as she started to pace before speaking aloud. “How dare he? I don’t care for his opinions. Octavia loves me, she has to, I am her mother.”

“Whatever you say dear.” Alto spoke up after his plate was clean and he wiped his mouth free of the sauce.

“Why didn’t you defend me Alto?” Harmony asked through gritted teeth very irritated with her husband.

“The food was getting cold, and I will not eat cold or reheated fo...” He started but was hit in the back of the head by his wife.

“Can you think about more than your stomach you fool. I am going to bed, for your failure you can sleep in the guest bedroom.” Harmony said with anger and stormed out of the dining area.

Alto watched and just sighed as he called for the table to be cleared then walked over to grab his newspaper. He sat in his chair opening it to where he left off reading. “Things sure are lively here now.”

As Harmony trotted her way to the bedroom, she put a hoof on the door to open it but not before looking at a picture that hung on the wall. She looked past the picture seeing her reflection on the glass and scuffed “What does he know, I’m exactly the pony I wanted to be” and without a second thought, she walked inside and closed the door, not noticing that the picture was of her and a young Octavia smiling and hugging after her daughter’s first concert.

✨ ✨ ✨ ✨ ✨ ✨ ✨ ✨ ✨ ✨ ✨ ✨ ✨ ✨ ✨ ✨ ✨ ✨ ✨ ✨ ✨ ✨ ✨ ✨ ✨ ✨ ✨ ✨ ✨

After the long day that the two mares had, Octavia and Vinyl slept very well that night. The exhausted mares had managed to become tangled into each other in a comfortable mess. Octavia was the first to wake up finding herself in a Bearbug like hug from Vinyl. The gray mare smiled and nuzzled her adorable marefriend’s neck. Just being able to enjoy the embrace brought the cellist great joy. The nuzzling eventually caused the DJ’s grip to loosen up just enough for Octavia to slip away from the white unicorn.

A groan left the white mare as she turned over pulling a pillow into a hug. “Yes Octy, I’ll have more syrup.” The DJ mumbled into the pillow.

Octavia shock her head and giggled. “Pancakes again? Is food the only thing you dream about?” She asked quietly as to not wake up Vinyl. She turned around and walked to the bathroom to take a shower before the DJ woke up. Octavia stood under the cascading hot water just letting it relax her a bit as she began thinking about the tasks she would have to do today. “I have to go back and face mother again... even after last night... Oh wait! It’s Hearts and Hooves day, maybe I could take vinyl out somewhere special and... oh... that’s right... I have to meet that stupid stallion for a date today... I wonder how can I ruin it?” She thought to herself. Upon finishing her shower, she reached out to grab a towel from the rack only to see it missing. "Of course, it’s going to be one of these days huh.” she stepped out of the shower and looked around for a towel to dry off with. “Maybe they are in one of these drawers.” she thought and started to look in the drawers under the sink. “Hmm, toothpaste, empty, empty and...Nope!” She instantly slammed the drawer shut with both hooves, her face instantly turning into a dark shade of crimson.

The loud slamming noise quickly woke up the unicorn that was cuddling with a pillow. “Pancakes!” She exclaimed looking around. She got out of bed to investigate where the noise originated from only to see a red-faced Octavia in the bathroom holding a drawer shut with both hooves. The DJ giggled a bit knowing exactly what drawer she had opened and walked over to her crimson-faced partner to tease her some more. Vinyl moved in and let out a seductive breath behind the cellist’s ear. “I see you found the hidden gem of this hotel, let’s see what kind of fun we can have.” She whispered, nuzzling the gray mare’s damp neck while reaching a hoof out to open the drawer. She gave the drawer a small tug but it wouldn’t move. “What the?” she pulled harder and even resorted to magic but to no use, the drawer was broken shut by the embarrassed earth pony. “Holy buck Octy, how hard did you clos-” Vinyl looked to her special somepony and began laughing. “Octy, your face, it’s priceless OW!” The DJ was cut short by hoof to the back of the head by the now fully crimson Cellist.

“Stop that Vinyl, your only exacerbating things.” Retorted Octavia, trying her best to regain her composure.

“Ex_ac_er what?” asked the unicorn not knowing what her marefreind just said.

Octavia sighed “Nevermind, it’s bad enough I haven’t found a towel, but for this hotel to have that, just when I started trusting this place.”

The DJ ears perked up “No towel?” she asked and gave Octavia a playful smile “So does that mean your we-” the DJ stopped seeing the Cellist’s hoof lift up. The white unicorn quickly ducked covering her head with her hooves and levitated a towel in front of her marefriend “I’m sorry please don’t hit me.”

The Gray mare grabbed the floating towel “Thank you Vinyl” Regaining her composer, Octavia began drying herself off. She watched as Vinyl opened the drawer to grab the toothpaste and felt a little guilty “Sorry to have woken you honey...” She said and stopped, looking at Vinyl they both had the exact same cringy expression on their face from hearing the pet name.

“I am not sure I like being called that Octy.” Said the DJ, breaking the brief awkward silence.

“Y-yeah... just forget I said it.” Octavia replied covering her face with a towel.

The white unicorn looked at her marefreind and tried to find a way to rectify the situation. “I mean, we are a couple and all but I prefer you keep calling me Vinyl, I like the way you say it. And besides, not many ponies call me that, it’s always DJ Pon-3 or hey you.”

The Cellist laughed and poked her head back out from under the towel. “I can live with that.” She turned to Vinyl and placed a soft kiss on her muzzle before she set the towel down and started to brush her mane.

“Octy, what are we going to tell Lyra and Bon Bon? I mean, we should let them know that things changed right?” The white unicorn inquired and started brushing her teeth.

“Vinyl the only thing that has changed is that we are no longer keeping secrets from each other. But I suppose we should tell them that we are a real couple now... How should we tell them?”

“I don’t know.” Vinyl said toothbrush still in her mouth. She placed the brush down and rinsed her mouth before continuing. “How about we invite them to lunch. That would be a good place to tell them.”

Octavia sighed and put down her brush. “That would be nice if I didn’t have to meet my mystery date today.”

“That’s today? But it’s Hearts and Hooves day.” Said the DJ, disappointed in the idea of having to spend their first day as a couple away from each other.

“I know Vinyl, but it was my parents that set this up. Don’t worry, it’s only for lunch and I plan on ending it as soon as possible.” the Cellist said reassuringly.

“Yeah but...” Started the DJ before trailing off.

The gray mare looked at her marefreind and realized something else was bugging her. “What’s wrong?”

“It’s...nothing.” Vinyl said looking down. She glanced back up to be met with a concerning pair of purple eyes. The DJ sighed. “Okay, Okay. Just...promise not to laugh alright.”

“I’m listening.” replied the cellist

The unicorn took a deep breath before mumbling. “Relationships scare me.”

Octavia gave her a puzzled look. “What?”

“Relationships scare me. It’s not the dating or commitment that gets me it’s the idea of messing things up. That’s what stopped me from confessing to you for a long time, where I would get scared and hide behind my DJ Pon-3 persona. I just don’t want things to end badly and ruin what we have together.” Elaborated Vinyl.

Octavia gave a reassuring hug to the DJ. She let go of the embrace and looked into the unicorn’s timid red eyes “Just because other relationships end badly doesn’t mean that this one will. I promise I would never let something like that happen between us.”

Vinyl smiled and hugged her gray marefreind. “Thanks Octy, that means a lot to me.”

“Your welcome dear. Now, let's go get some breakfast. I don’t know about you but I’m famished.” Octavia said walking towards the door before remembering something. “Oh, and no playing around in line today.”

“Awww, but Octy.” The DJ whined following her.

“No buts Vinyl. I will not have you making a scene in the restaurant like yesterday.” The cellist said as she left the room followed closely by her white marefriend.

Upon reaching the main lobby the mares turned their attention to the hotel’s restaurant where Sunflower Shine was again the hostess pony. She smiled and waved a hoof to the two. Vinyl and Octavia smiled back and walked over to greet the energetic yellow Pegasus. “Good morning Miss Shine, two please.” Octavia said politely smiling as the hostess swiped their card like the day before.

“I see you ladies had a better night last night.” Sunflower commented and returned their card with a smile “Enjoy.” And with a nod the couple walked into the restaurant area.

As Octavia was looking for a place to sit, she spotted Lyra and Bon Bon sitting at one of the tables. She grabbed a plate and gathered some food before joining her friends for breakfast. It wasn’t until she sat down that she noticed Vinyl’s absence. She looked up and found the DJ talking to Sunflower Shine.

“Um, Sunflower, would to mind having a repair pony take a look at the special drawer in the bathroom. Octy was a little rough on it this morning and broke something inside.” Vinyl whispered looking back at Octavia and waved a hoof.

“Oh my, but of course. I’ll see to it personally Miss Scratch. Please enjoy yourself.” The yellow mare said cheeks red from the misinterpreted information.

“Thanks, you really know how to hook a pony up.” replied Vinyl walking inside to get herself some food. She finished collected her meal and took a really close seat next to Octavia.

Lyra and Bon Bon smiled across the table not noticing anything different about the two yet. “So, how’d it go at your parents last night Octavia?” Lyra asked tilting her head wondering what happened.

Octavia groaned and told them the story of their dinner. “They saw through the being engaged act right away. I went off on my mother and...” Her ears flattened and she whispered. “Yelled at my parents telling them that Vinyl was part of the family.”

Vinyl was listening to the conversation but was eating a nice creamy oatmeal with fresh blueberries. She licked her lips and put a foreleg around the gray mare to comfort her. “Octy, relax, we’ll think of other ways to break this wedding off.” The DJ said taking a spoonful of her oatmeal and moved it towards Octavia. “Here, try this Octy, it’s amazing.” The cellist leaned in a took the bite of blueberry oatmeal.

Bon Bon watched this and tapped a hoof to her chin and grinned. “That’s interesting. The plan failed and yet you two are acting closer than ever.” She quipped looking towards Lyra. “What do you think?” She asked obviously hinting at the change in the relationship.

“Yeah, they have gotten really good at acting, it's like they are a real couple now.” Lyra responded, completely missing Bon Bon’s hint that the two were an item now.

All three mares facehoofed at the mint green mare’s comment. “Lyra, they obviously told each other their true feelings. This is exactly how we acted after confessing our love to each other remember.” Bon Bon teased and leaned closer to Lyra and poked her stomach. “Thank Celestia you’re good at other things.” She smiled back across the table. “Congratulations on finally getting together.”

“You can thank Octy’s cool uncle for that. She has been hiding him from me which I’m a bit upset about. I always wanted an uncle like him.” Vinyl commented looked to Octavia with a playful glare.

“Vinyl there is a reason that I never introduced you to Uncle Trotterlot.” The gray mare retorted softly before being interrupted by a familiar voice.

“Octy? Miss Scratch? Fancy seeing you here. I trust that you caught your target last night Miss Scratch.” Sir Trotterlot said walking up behind Lyra and Bon Bon. “Oh dear, are you two friends with my niece?” The two looked at the explorer pony as Vinyl nodded. “Well, where are my manors? A pleasure to meet you two, I am Sir Trotterlot.” He saluted them with a respective mustache twinkle. “At your service.”

“How did you do that?” The mint green mare asked looking at Trotterlot’s mustache in wonder.

“Well you move your hoof up to your forehead and with a fast swiping motion away from your face you complete a salute.” Trotterlot replied getting a confused look from Lyra and Bon Bon.

“No, she meant...” The cotton candy maned mare started to talk about the twinkle but was stopped by Octavia.

“Don’t ask, he isn’t aware of it. No pony understands how it happens, we just role with it.” The cellist explained and looked to her uncle. “I didn’t know you were staying here as well Uncle Trotterlot.”

“Oh yes, it is was the best place I could get on such short notice that was far away from my Sister.” He responded and sat at the table looking to his niece and her marefriend. “You would be happy to know that I gave your mother what hooo for her behavior towards you and Miss Scratch last night. Give her time Octy, I’m sure your mother will see the light, I promise.”

Bon Bon began giggling and whispered something to Lyra about something she noticed. They both began to giggle as they looked at the fancy explorer stallion and the disk jockey mare. There was an air about Sir Trotterlot that reminded them of a certain pony with an electric blue mane and purple sunglasses.

“So, Miss Scratch did you corner your target and give her whatfor?” Sir Trotterlot’s inquired with his volume being loud enough to draw the attention of everypony in the restaurant.

Lyra and Bon Bon looked dumbfounded at how her uncle seemed both cool and dense at the same time. “Uncle Trotterlot, please don’t ask that so loud.” Replied Octavia hiding her face in embarrassment.

Lyra giggled a bit seeing how flustered the cellist looked and decided to continue teasing her “Well Vinyl? Did you buck her all night long?” Lyra questioned hoping for a juicy answer.

“Well ya see...” The DJ started to explain when the hostess Sunflower Shine walked over with a blush on her face.

The yellow Pegasus leaned in and quietly whispered to the ponies at the table “Miss Scratch, I’m sorry but I wasn’t able to fix the toy drawer.” She looked at Octavia “You must have been really rough with her to break it like that. But don’t worry you two, I will personally go out and get a box of new toys for you use for the rest of your stay. Have a great day ladies.” Sunflower Shine winked at the two before walking away from the table. Though she whispering, the quiet restaurant was about to pick up on the entire conversation. As every pony now began giggling at the two, the cellist felt like she would die from embarrassment.

“Sweet Celestia, please kill me now.” Octavia groaned as she tried to sink deeper into her seat and hide. “I’m just going to go and meet this mystery stallion and have him dump me as soon as possible. That will be far less embarrassing than this.” She said stepping out of her hiding place and quickly finishing her drink, face still a bright shade of red. “Well, wish me luck ladies, Uncle Trotterlot, would you come with me?”

“Of course Octy, Tallyho!” Trotterlot exclaimed, excited to see his niece off on her mission to be free of this stallion and get her mother to see how she feels in the process.

After Octavia and Sir Trotterlot were out of sight Vinyl looked to Lyra and Bon Bon. “Okay Fillies, let’s start coming up with some ways to ruin their date, I’m thinking we should have some sort of call sign.” The DJ said thinking of what kind of bird call she could pull off.

“Well Vinyl, there is a reason I picked this place over the other hotels.” The candy maker spoke and smiled.

“I thought you say that Lyra picked out the rooms” Vinyl inquired.

“Well yes, she was in charge of rooms, but the hotel was my decision, let me explain. If you recall, I was once a secret agent for Celestia called Secret Agent Sweetie Drops. Well, when the gang disbanded, this hotel employed the pony that made all our devices and gadgets. Her name is...” She was interrupted by the yellow hostess pony walking right next to the table.

“Sunflower Shine but you can call me S.” The Pegasus interjected with a smile.

“You!?” Exclaimed the white unicorn.

She gave Vinyl a hush gestor with her hoof looking at the other patrons before following up with. “Follow me I will get you fitted with some gadgets and information you’ll be needing for your mission.” Lyra and Vinyl were confused but they followed Bon Bon and S to the elevator. “I’ve got all your stuff prepared in the basement.”

The four stepped into the Elevator when Lyra noticed something amiss with Sunflower’s comment. “Wait, but this Hotel doesn’t have a basement.” Said the mint green unicorn pointing a hoof at all of the buttons on the panel.

“Your right, it doesn’t.” S said with a giggle as she pushed a number of buttons in a weird order. All of a sudden, Vinyl and Lyra were surprised when they felt the elevator start to move down. The Door opened up revealing a huge room filled with all sorts of gadgets, testing areas, and computer screens.

Vinyl took off her purple shades, eyes wide open taking in the unbelievable scene. “Sweet Celestia, it’s just like in the spy movies me and Octy watch.”

S laughed at the DJ’s comment as she walked them over to a big computer. Bon Bon hoofed over a small stick that S plugged into the machine. They looked up and saw all sorts of information about Octavia and the melodies flood the screen in front of them. “This computer will take the information we know about Octavia and her family and compare the data with all the stallions in Canterlot. It’ll run each candidate through an algorithm and generate a small list of potential stallions that could be Octavia’s mystery date with their weaknesses attached.” S explained walking them over to one of her tool benches.

“Ok, two questions for ya. Why are you helping us? And how will that computer narrow down the selection?” Vinyl asked trying to wrap her head around all of this.

“The computer is programmed to sort information into three different categories. There are known knowns and known unknowns but there are also unknown unknowns, things we don’t know we don’t know. Though the computer doesn’t bother with unknown unknowns seeing how there isn’t much rich Canterlot ponies can hide from us. It’ll take the information I feed it and make a list of potential suspects along with information about what their personalities are like and what they hate or are afraid of, perfect for this mission.” Answered S.

“I have no idea what you just said, but I’m inspired” Commented Vinyl

S laughed before continuing. “As for your other question, I owed Sweetie Drops a favor after pinning a royal cake theft on some new guy, Agent Chocolate was his name or something. Anyway, seeing how it was me that stole the cake she really saved my flank that day, and we’ve been friends since.” S explained with a smile as she waved a hoof over some watches and a pair of purple shades on her bench. While Lyra and Bon Bon looked at where S was pointing Vinyl noticed that the yellow Pegasus was stealing glances at Bon Bon’s flank.

“It also helps that she has a huge crush on me. Not that I would do anything with her, after all, I’m married to the best mare in Equestria.” The Bon Bon whispered to her wife.

Lyra looked back and noticed S drooling over Bon Bon’s cutie mark. Her eye’s narrowed as she hugged Bon Bon’s flank, trying to hide it from S. “Don’t even think about it. I’m her wife and the only pony who can have a piece of this flank.”

“All because there’s a goalie, doesn’t mean I can’t score.” The yellow Pegasus teased giving the couple a playful wink. Bon Bon rolled her eyes and held Lyra back from attacking the energetic tech pony. “Anyway, these are the gadgets I pulled out for this missi-”

“Dibs on the shades!” The DJ interrupted levitating the glasses towards her and putting them on. “Huh, they feel the exact same as my old pair.” She commented, still trying to figure out what they do.

“Not quite, you see those glasses can magnify your sight a hundred times your normal vision by adjusting the small wheel on the right. The wheel on the left shots out lasers of different colors. I originally meant for it to cut through objects but I couldn’t get the power converter to fit in such a tiny space. Though the light show looked cool so I kept it.” S explained watching as a tear ran down Vinyl’s cheek.

“These are mine now, I’m not giving them back...ever.” The DJ said protectively held the glasses on her face.

Lyra laughed at the white unicorn and looked at the watches “What do these do?”

“These are a communication device I made look like a watch. It will help keep you in contact with me and the other ponies involved in Operation ColtBlocker. Your sunglasses also have this feature Vinyl. Just say the name of the pony you want to talk to and it will connect you with their device. The watch also tells the time.” S commented as the computer made a funny noise and started to print out a few pieces of parchment. Each held the names and info of five stallions that could potentially be Octavia’s mystery date. “Okay Fillies, here are the candidates; Affero, a high class and he has been to the Grand Galloping Gala in the VIP section. Prince Blueblood... dear Celestia I hope not, Hoity Toity... Though it says his already in a relationship... oh well, that never stops any pony am I right Bon Bon?” This comment earned S a glare from Lyra. S chuckled before continuing down the list “Next up is Fancy Pants...I can see that, and lastly a Royal Guard...well, with so many I guess one was bound to make the list. Anyway, these are our five stallions, with this info, you ladies can start hatching out your plans.” S said hoofing out the parchments.

✨ ✨ ✨ ✨ ✨ ✨ ✨ ✨ ✨ ✨ ✨ ✨ ✨ ✨ ✨ ✨ ✨ ✨ ✨ ✨ ✨ ✨ ✨ ✨ ✨ ✨ ✨ ✨ ✨

Octavia and Sir Trotterlot walked towards her parents’ manor with a sense of purpose. The cellist wasn’t going to let this mystery stallion off easy, she was going to make sure that this would the worst date he ever. No stallion would want to marry the kind of mare she was going to be on this date.

Trotterlot noticed a familiar spark in his niece’s eye which brought a smile to his face. “I recognize that look Octy. You have something planned that would make your dear Uncle proud, don’t you?” He inquired while laughing as he could only imagine the scheme she was plotting.

“Oh yes Uncle, that stallion won’t know what hit him. He will rue the day he ever tried to date Octavia Melody.” Octavia responded getting more heated up about her plan, drawing attention from the ponies walking nearby.

“Now remember Octy, the most important thing is to never give up. Make your dreams come true, that’s what us Melodys do best. You and Miss Scratch will show your mother the way, I’m sure of it.” The explorer said smiling as he hugged his Niece in front of Harmony’s manor.

Octavia rejoiced in the hug and would return in with greater force. “Mark my words, he will not know what hit him.” She said with looking back at the explorer with a grin on her face and determination in her eyes.

“That’s my Octy.” Replied Sir Trotterlot rubbing his hoof on the gray mare’s mane.

“Stop that Uncle Trotterlot.” Octavia laughed, brushing his hoof off her head and fixed her mane. She started walking to her mother’s front door when she noticed the Explorer wasn’t next to her. She looked back and saw him waving a hoof at her from the street. “Are you not coming in?”

“Your mother and I aren't exactly on speaking terms right now. Besides I need to pay a visit to a research companion of mine, she made a new discovered about a creature I meet in the Marezonian.”

“Just a companion huh Uncle Trotterlot?” Octavia teased, knowing how much time he spends with her from his letters. The way he always describes her always led Octavia to believe that there’s something more to their relationship than just casual acquaintances. Though she knows the Explorer was a little dense when it came to things like this. The thought of her Uncle finding a Special Somepony with similar interests had always captured Octavia’s interest.

“But of course, she and I have been working together on this one for a while now. She wrote me yesterday personally inviting me to have a look before any other pony.” Responded Sir Trotterlot

“Perhaps you should pick up the mare some flowers to celebrate the occasion.” Octavia Suggested, knowing that her Uncle forgot what today was.

“What a splendid idea Octy, I know just the ones too. Oh, before I forget.” He said pulling out a small box from his saddlebag and held it out to her. “Your gift, you left before I could give it to you yesterday, though it wouldn’t have been a good time anyway. It is a music box you’re Grandmare left to me and I believe you are ready to have it.” He smiled as she took the box and opened it.

The music that emanated from the beautiful oak box was gentle and warm, much like the feeling a pony would get from being safe at home with their friends and family. A feeling that was amiss at the Melody manor for a long time. Octavia closed her eyes and found herself humming along with the tone and it hit her. “She used to hum this song to me when I was a little filly.” The cellist spoke before she opened her eyes to find her uncle was gone. She blushed and closed the music box slowly and carefully put it in her bag. “Well, it’s time to meet my enemy face to face.” She thought and turned to enter the manor.

Upon entering, the gray mare heard her mother talking to somepony in the living room. She walked in seeing a small school-aged colt standing in the room looking up at her mother. The colt was a bit on the chubbier side though something seemed off-putting about him. Both his coat and mane were the same sickly color of dull gray. Surprisingly, he had a cutie mark just slightly darker than his coat that looked like a metronome, though it could barely be seen. If a pony hadn’t been looking closely, it would seem like the young colt was still blank. “Don’t worry, she will be here soon.” Harmony said to the young colt.

“I didn’t take you as the type to teach school ponies Mother.” Octavia remarked breaking the conversation between her mother and the young colt. “Are his parents coming to pick him up?” She asked, not wanting a young colt to see what she was going to put this mystery stallion through.

“Actually, this is Monotone Symphony. He is your betrothed.” Her mother said plainly pushing the colt sized stallion a bit closer to her daughter and his face showed no emotion at all.

“Hello, it’s a pleasure to meet you Octavia but it is even better to meet me. I am Monotone Symphony.” His said with a voice that was just as dry and devoid of any emotion as his name implied, monotoned. The short chubby pony looked up at the cellist the with a blank expression on his face.

“Um, mother, I need to speak with you please, in private.” Octavia replied grabbing Harmony and walking into the other room. “Mother, are you feeling ill?” She asked trying to comprehend what her mother was thinking with that pint-size stallion.

“No Octavia, I’m feeling perfectly fine.” Her mother answered

“Oh, Okay. Then I must ask. Have you gone Mad?” inquired the Cellist.

Harmony began to explain “No Octavia, Monotone is perfect for you. He too is from a family of musical ponies, is an up and coming conductor like your father and is quite funny.”

“Yeah, funny looking.” Octavia interjected.

Harmony coughed in her hoof and continued “As I was saying, he is the perfect stallion. His parents are very well-respected ponies that will help boost our family name as well, so try not to mess this up.”

“Mother, you can’t be serious. He has got to be the worse pony you could have possibly found. He doesn’t even look like an adult. Even if I liked stallions, which I don’t, I wouldn’t want to marry that colt looking freak. He doesn’t have any emotions and I have a creepy feeling about him.” The cellist complained looking around as if he was watching. It wasn’t until she looked down that Octavia saw him standing there causing her to jump.

“That isn’t true, I have a wide range of emotions. Just watch, this is me happy... sad... angry...” He started listing off emotions and show her how different each expression and tone of his voice was. However, the expression and voice never changed.

Octavia looked from her mother to Monotone and back again before facehoofing. "This can’t be happening. There is no bucking way my mother is this clueless.” Her thoughts turned from her mother’s madness to how she could scare this guy off.

“Well I will leave you two so you can go on your date.” Her mother joyfully said and walked away before calling out. “Try winning her over with a joke Monotone. She loves to laugh.”

“Mother wait! We aren’t done her- Oh Buck!” Octavia started but tripped over the small stallion that seemed to always be in the way.

“I will tell you a joke now.” The emotionless pony said standing as tall as he could and cleared his throat. “Knock, Knock.”

“For the love of Celestia, a knock, knock joke? Really? You can’t be serious.” Octavia responded looking to the pony before her but him not saying anything she knew he was. “You're serious...Fine, who's there?” Octavia prepared herself for a lame schoolyard joke.

“That’s the joke, there is no door to knock on. Ha ha ha.” His said with a laugh as dry and creepy as his voice that it sent a chill up the cellist’s spine. She backed away from him but knew that she had to deal with him.

“Right, well, as lame as that joke was, I think we should get this date of equal stature over with. I assume you have a place picked out.” The gray mare said.

“Your mother made a few suggestions however I have a better place. I know what is best.” Monotone responded dryly and walked out ahead of Octavia, he was surprisingly fast for being short, but that wasn’t the problem. Monotone kept walking in front of her like they weren’t equals.

Octavia was not pleased with this one bit. Ponies were watching them as they walked past, though it wasn’t because they were a couple, but because they looked like a mother and a foal out on the town. She started to think of how best to describe him to Vinyl later on. He was seeming very self-centered and bland. "I can’t believe mother would think that this pony was a good fit. Oh well, at least I’ll get a free lunch out of the deal... assuming he doesn’t say anything to make me gag.” Octavia thought and stopped as she once again almost tripped over the pint-size stallion yet again. She sighed wondering why they stopped so suddenly.

“We are here.” The stallion said as he looked at their destination. Octavia couldn’t believe it when she saw it, Mc Hayburger.

Octavia’s jaw dropped looking at the place he dragged her too. Not a fancy restaurant but a fast food joint that wasn’t even that good. She would have smiled thinking it was a joke but she knew this pony didn’t know how too.

He walked inside and Octavia followed. The place was pretty must empty as no pony in their right mind would take a date to this place on Hearts and Hooves day, even school ponies had more class. Upon making it to the counter he placed his order before the teenage pony could ask how he could help. “I will have the Hayburger foal meal.” Mono said looking at the cellist waiting for her to order.

With a sigh she looked at the menu, this place was embarrassing. “I will take a double hayburger with fries and a milkshake with extra Oats.” She said and looked to her forced date to pay. He just stared back at her. “Are you not going to pay?”

“Your food costs more than mine. Therefor you should pay.” He reasoned with his monotoned voice only making Octavia even more upset than she already was. She took out her bag of bits and paid the worker. The rest of the date was silent as again a plan would fail. How could she or anypony scare away a self-centered pony with no emotion like him? She took a bite out of her hayburger before thinking Buck this. She slammed her shake and stood up.

“Where are you going?” asked the little gray abomination.

“Fillies room, wait here. I’ll be right back” Octavia said grabbing her saddle bag. She turned the corner and snuck out of the restaurant and into the streets of Canterlot. It was nearing dinner time when Octavia got back to the hotel and barged into their room with a huff. “Vinyl this stallion is the worst!” She exclaimed.

“Oh, is he really that bad? I mean your mother hoof picked a stallion that she thought would be great right?” Vinyl said shivering and stuck her tongue out in disgust. “Ah that left a weird taste in my mouth.”

“Oh, he is that bad Vinyl. If you took the emotionless tone of Maud Pie and mixed it with the self-centered narcissism of Prince Blueblood you would only scratch the surface of what is wrong with this pony.” Octavia replied walking over and hugged Vinyl. “I couldn’t think of any way to scare that stallion away. What’s worse is that my mother has gone mad. She actually thinks that short stallion is funny.”

“How short are we talking?” Vinyl inquired pulling away from the hug raising an eyebrow in confusion, making a mental note to check Prince Blueblood off the list of potential stallions.

“There are toys in that drawer that are bigger than him.” Octavia quipped pointing a hoof to the bathroom in anger.

“Wait you saw his...” The unicorn started to ask.

“I’m referring to his height Vinyl. He looks like a pudgy foal. He thinks he is the greatest thing since zap apple jam and you will never guess where he took us on the most romantic day of the year. Mc Bucking Hayburger!” The cellist growled out before sighing as she looked out the window. “He even made me pay because my meal because it cost more. Of course it would, seeing how he got a foal meal.” She groaned and rubbed her temples trying to calm down.

“Wow he sounds horrible. Is it weird that I want to meet him just to see what kind of stallion could be that bad?” The DJ asked wondering if Octavia was just blowing things out of proportion. “I tell you what Octy. It is Hearts and Hooves day and I hoped that you would be back in time. I planned a nice romantic date for us to celebrate our first one as a couple, though you will need to wear something fancy.”

Octavia chuckled “Oh, you actually made reservations at a fancy establishment?”

“Hey, what's that supposed to mean. I can be classy when I need to be.” The DJ replied, puffing her checks a bit.

Octavia laughed “Oh Vinyl, you really are too good to me.” She said walking over and nuzzled her marefriend. “Can you bring me that bag over there? It has my dress in it.” The cellist pointed a hoof to the bag forgetting one important thing about the contents of the bag.

“Okay” replied Vinyl picking it up with a gray aura and started levitating it over to Octavia. However, the bag was upside down and the contents of the bag spilled out onto Vinyl’s face. “Opps, sorry Octy. I should have...” Vinyl started to say as she stepped out of the clothes that had fallen on her only to find that there was something on her horn. Using her magic she hovered it in front of her to inspect it. She blushed seeing that it was sexy lingerie. “Umm, Octy I think we should skip the restaurant, you should put this on and I’ll eat you instead.”

“What are you tal-” Octavia turned around and gasped seeing what Vinyl was holding. The cellist rushed over and took the sexy lingerie from the DJ and found herself blushing as hard as her marefriend. “I most definitely will not be wearing this, and you will not be eating me tonight. This was a gag gift from Bon Bon and I wasn’t planning on ever wea...” She started to explain but stopped after seeing her marefreind giving her puppy dog eyes. Octavia sighed “Fine...If you are good at the restaurant, and it’s romantic enough, you might see me in this tonight.”

Vinyl’s face lit up hearing this and she collected her own red dress from her saddlebag. Octavia put the lingerie away and grabbed her black dress. The cellist was sure that no matter what happened, this date would easily be one hundred times better than the one with Monotone.

The two mares freshened up, put on their dresses, and grabbed their smaller saddlebags that matched their formal wear and made their way into town. Vinyl led the way as she wanted to surprise the cellist this evening. Unlike earlier Octavia’s date was walking alongside her, not in front of her. “So where are we going?” The cellist asked interested in seeing what romantic evening roommate thought up.

“Don’t worry Octy. You’ll see.” The DJ replied smiling as she thought about what she had to do to make tonight perfect. After her meeting with S, she left the hotel to look for the perfect date with Octavia. She remembered a restaurant that Octavia always wanted to try but it was always too busy to get a table. Vinyl used her fame as DJ Pon-3 to help get them a table last minute, a few tickets to her next show was a small price to pay to make Octavia happy.

“Oh, okay.” The cellist said not knowing what else to say. She just followed the unicorn as they walked toward a place that was rather well known to the Canterlot locals. A high-end restaurant call “A Restaurant” run by a young chief that found the name to be fun and easy to remember. It was also a way to make fun of the other restaurants in the area that had fancy names but horrible service. Seeing the building caused Octavia to gasp. “A Restaurant! Oh, my Celestia. How did you get us a reservation?”

“I would do anything to make you happy Octy.” She commented nuzzling Octavia before walking in and talking to the hostess pony to get their table. The ambiance of the dining room was very romantic, dim candlelit tables, soft orchestral music, and the warm fireplace in the corner of the room being ablaze made this feel very special.

The dinner started with an order of red wine as they looked over the menu. It was a bit pricey for the DJ but seeing how it was their first Hearts and Hooves day together, Vinyl was sparing no expense. The dinner they had was the special of the day a three-course meal meant to be shared by couples. The first course a Lily and Daffodil salad, the main course being a fancy tofu spread only made here, and finally, a chocolate lava cake to end the meal. It seemed like a nice dinner to share.

When the salad came the two mares would plate themselves some and talked about their day. Vinyl laughed at hearing how horrible Octavia’s forced date was in more detail which looking back at it made Octavia laugh as well. “So, you were serious, that he is as short as a school colt?” Vinyl asked trying to hold back the laughter.

“Yeah and as selfish as one.” Octavia said laughing and she leaned on Vinyl. “This night is very special though, thank you Vinyl.” She blushed when a fork wrapped in a gray aura was held in front of her mouth with a little bit of tofu on it. She took the bit and smile happily.

“Well, if you think this is special, just wait until you see the gift I got ya.” The DJ said putting a toy that had a plastic dome and removable bottom that you would get from any one-bit toy crank machine.

“Um Vinyl, that I a toy from a crank machine.” The gray earth pony commented bluntly and moved away to look at it. “Why would you get me this?”

“Don’t tell me you forget. It was a crank machine that brought us together.” The DJ said and could see the confusion on her marefriend’s face and laughed a bit. “It was the day we met, I was dying to get a rare toy from a crank machine at the train station but I was out of bits. You saw how I was disappointed and bought me the last one. So this one is for you.” She smiled shyly blushing the whole time.

“I had completely forgotten about that.” Octavia replied smiling and then laughed. “And you lost that toy a week after I bought it for you.”

“Lucky for me you replaced it. You were the best friend a mare could ask for Octy.” They both laughed and continued their meal in the dull roar of the other couples enjoying the holiday there. The chocolate lava cake was a great end to the dinner especially when Vinyl burned her mouth on the hot chocolate sauce only to get brain freeze trying to cool off her tongue with the vanilla ice cream the came with it.

After dinner, Octavia opened the capsule and looked at what was inside. It was a plastic necklace with two strings. The gray mare tilted her head trying to figure out what the strings were for until she dumped it out on the table and it broke into two pieces. One half was single music note this half would fit into the second half like a puzzle piece to make a heart. Vinyl put the half with the music note outline around Octavia’s neck and the half with the music note around her own.

Octavia laughed, not so much at the gift, but the fact that it had Vinyl written all over it. What other Pony in Equestria would buy their special somepony a crank machine necklace on their first Hearts and hooves day. Octavia wiped a tear from her eye after catching her breath “Vinyl, it might not have cost you that much but it is beautiful.” She said giving the white unicorn a kiss. “I am just sorry I didn’t get you anything.”

“Nah, it’s cool Octy. Besides being with you is gift enough.” The DJ responded.

Octavia giggled “What movie did you get that line from?”

“You don’t like it, I thought it worked perfectly.” The two laughed a bit and then the bill showed up. Octavia was use to paying when they went out but was shocked to see Vinyl covering it this time.

The sun had set over Canterlot giving way to Luna’s moon when the couple left A Restaurant. The streets were lit by street lamps and the lights from inside of the shops making the walk back to the hotel beautiful. Vinyl stopped in the center of town and smiled seeing a street performer wearing a white vest and white sunglasses holding a sax. She looked to her date and smiled. “Care to dance?” Vinyl asked sheepishly held a hoof out to her.

“I’d love to.” Octavia replied and took the white hoof and pulled her closer to the street musician. The Cellist put a hoof full of bits into the pony’s hat. “Can you play us something we can dance to?”

The stallion nodded and stood up on his hide legs. The Stallion began playing a catchy tune on his sax while gyrating his hips to the melody. The two smiled started to dance, circling around each other with a few dips in their dance. They were having a wonderful time together and when the song was over, they thanked the epic sax pony and continued back to the hotel.

Octavia shivered a bit as the cool air of night was starting to get to her. Vinyl moved closer to Octavia to help keep her warm. She smiled as she whispered an idea into the gray mare’s ear causing her to blush and nod. This got the DJ to smile as it was going to be fun.

Once inside their room, there was a box on the bed with a note. The cellist walked over and read it as Vinyl walked into the bathroom after taking off her dress. She had turned on the hot tub’s jet and bubble functions and tested the water as Octavia got out of her dress. “What’s in the box?” The DJ asked from the bathroom.

“Oh Celestia.” The cellist muttered to herself and blushed hiding her face. “It’s a box of new toys signed by Sunflower Shine. She said use them well.” She took this time to take off her dress.

“I knew she had our backs.” Vinyl said happily as she slowly slid into the hot tub.

“That’s not what I... Oh nevermind...What am I to do with you Vinyl?” She asked and blushed knowing the response to come.

“What aren’t you going do with me?” Vinyl answered, the cellist seeing that response coming from a mile away.

Octavia walked into the bathroom and slid into the hot tub next to Vinyl enjoying the relaxing heat of the jets and bubbles. She leaned on Vinyl and sighed in content. “Now that was a perfect Hearts and Hooves day.” She said happily nuzzling into the DJ’s neck and gave her a loving kiss.

“My, my aren’t you affectionate tonight. Does that mean what I think it means?” Vinyl asked taking off her purple shades. Those red eyes hopeful yet playful at the same time.

“I’m sorry Vinyl, after everything that happened today, I’m afraid I have no energy left. I blame that soul-sucking stallion.” The cellist responded resting her head on the DJ’s chest and smiled as she was planning something.

“Oh, I just thought... Well, I think I will go to bed then.” The unicorn sadly muttered out before slowly getting out of the hot tub and dried herself off with magic. She was disappointed but understood where her marefriend was coming from. After she left the bathroom Octavia got out and looked for a towel again. She opened her dresser drawer and looked to Vinyl smiling, picking up something else up and carried it under her towel back into the bathroom. Once she was dry Octavia changed into her sexy lingerie and gulped as she peeked out the door.

“Oh Vinyl.” Octavia said sounding so nervous as she leaned in the door frame. “W-what do you think? Are you up for a Hearts and Hooves day to remember?”

Vinyl’s jaw dropped and all she could do was shake her head yes and admire the view. Octavia chuckled knowing that she had surprised her marefriend. Tonight was going to be a long night that the two wouldn’t soon forget.

Author's Note:

Well, there we have it everypony the mystery stallion has shown his face. There are more references for those that are playing along with the game. I hope you all enjoyed this chapter there is more fun to be had and more plans to save Octavia. Thank you for reading and feel free to comment about what you think about the story so far. :twilightsheepish: