• Published 9th Aug 2018
  • 2,961 Views, 311 Comments

According to Plan! - The Buck It Bros



After reading a letter from her parents Octavia and her friends make a plan to stop her arranged marriage.

  • ...
8
 311
 2,961

All Aboard

All Aboard

“Don’t worry Octy.” The words played over again in Octavia’s mind but for once they didn’t worry her. She hadn’t believed them for a long time though seeing Vinyl's confidence reassured her. Octavia watched as Vinyl bit into her daffodil and daisy sandwich and smirked when a pedal was caught on her cheek. Seeing this reminded her of a scene from a romance novel she read before and sparked an idea in her head. “Ok Octavia, if you’re going to convince any pony that your engaged with Vinyl, you’ll have to step up your romance game.”

“Vinyl, you got a daisy pedal on your cheek"

"huh?" replied the DJ looking up at her

Octavia let out a small giggle "Here, let me get that for you." she said leaning in and licking the pedal off and returning back to her seat. The cellist watched as the white unicorn's face turned three shades of red and her magic failing causing her sandwich to fall to the plate.

“O-Octy, what did you…?” responded an awestruck DJ unable to grasp what just happened.

"Oh no, did I mess that up?" thought the cellist trying to come up with an excuse.

“Well, I...um... if we want to be convincing, you know… as a couple... we need to, um, act like one. So I just tried to be romantic…you know...like the books, hahaha…ha” The kitchen was silent as they both tried their best to comprehend what the other one was thinking.

“I messed it up.” Octavia thought to herself again and again.

The DJ’s mind was racing with questions. “There's no pony here... Why would she... flirt with me like that? Was that flirting or just acting? Does she...like me?...Would it be too soon for a practice kiss?”

The awkward silence was brought to an end by the familiar sound of Derpy once again crashing into their mailbox. “I brought you a letter.” She called out before unhinging herself from the mailbox and flying off to the next house to repeat the process. This snapped the girls out of their thoughts and realize that they should start packing.

“Um right, act like a couple.” The DJ nodded as she stood up. “I think we should start packing, I’ll uh, get the mail.” she said walking out of the kitchen, relived to have a moment to collect her thoughts.

Octavia didn’t get a chance to reply as the white mare had already left the room. She headed to her room thinking about what she had just done. “Classy Octavia, way to keep your cool...was I always this bad at flirting?” She continued contemplating how else that scene could have played out while packing some of her stuff. A toothbrush, her comb, it was when she couldn't find her spare bowtie that she became a bit frustrated "Oh, where did I put that thing?" she said looking around. She turned around and saw it hanging off of her cello case when she remembered where it had been. The events from earlier flooded her mind before she shook her head "Get a hold of yourself Octavia, your acting like a young filly again."

She grabbed the bowtie and put it into her bag. "Right, what else do I need" said the gray mare opening her closet. She grabbed a black formal dress, and opened her dresser to get the matching pair of shoes. It was then that she noticed her black and purple lacy lingerie set. Octavia stared at it for a while debating if she should bring it or not ".....I would like to surprise Vinyl with this...but is this really the right time......" The gray mare put it into her bag though she continued to stare at it starting to convince herself otherwise. "...maybe I should put it b_"

"I GOT THE GIG OCTY!" shouted Vinyl galloping up the stairs as fast as she could.

Octavia in a panic quickly throw her black dress into the bag to cover up the lingerie and snapped the saddle bag closed. That was when the excited looking unicorn busted into her room holding a piece of paper.

“Octy, Octy I got it, I got the gig. They signed me up for the main stage at Wubapollusa!” The white mare yelled out after reading the letter.

"That's great Vinyl, I know you've been looking forward to this for weeks now" replied Octavia.

“I know right, it took them long enough. I'll need to be back about a week after Hearts and Hooves day so I can get all my equipment ready. That'll be plenty enough time to ruin this arranged marriage.” said the DJ lowering her glasses to give Octavia a reassuring wink before sliding the glasses back up her muzzle. That was when she noticed that Octavia already had her bag packed.

"Wow Octy, that was fast. Here I'll get that for you." Said the white unicorn levitating the bag in a gray aura.

"Wait, Vinyl...umm" said the cellist causing the DJ to turn around "I, umm, you see... oh nevermind."

"Ooookaaay?" replied the unicorn going back down the stairs to place her bag by the door.
Walking back to her room she placed her letter on the kitchen table. When she got into her room, she turned on her music and started packing her bag. Bluetooth headphones, toothbrush, and a rather revealing red dress for ruining a curtain date. It was when a rubber chicken started floating over to the saddlebag that Octavia walked into the room with her cello on her back to congratulate Vinyl again.

Seeing the rubber chicken Octavia gasped and rushed over pulling it out of the saddlebag before it was closed. “Vinyl I said no to that plan. You will not be bringing this.” Octavia said and tossed the rubber chicken away with a sigh. “Please Vinyl I am serious about this.”

“Oh, come on Octy everypony needs a Plan G.” The white mare smiled foolishly sliding she purple shades down her muzzle slightly to reveal her playful red eyes.

“Don’t you mean a Plan B?” The grey mare questioned looking a bit confused at her friend.

“Nah, Plan G.” The DJ smiled brighter then before but was met with a groan and a facehoof from Octavia.

“The answer is no you are not bringing that rubber chicken.” The grey mare said walking out of the room. “And congratulations on getting picked for Wuba...what was that tour called again?”

“Wubapollusa, and thanks Octy. You should come to one of the shows. I can get you a back stage pass.” The white mare pushed her shades back up her muzzle and collected her saddlebag.

“That would be lovely but I might not be able too if this plan doesn’t work.” Octavia said as she looked down. “I would hate to be taken away from this place.” She whispered to herself.

“Don’t worry Octy, I won’t let them marry you off, I promise.” She said putting a hoof around her friend and gave her a one-legged hug.

“Thank you Vinyl, I don’t know what I would do without you.” The cellist said collecting her things and headed to the door.

“Probably be bored out of your mind in a place just like your parents house.” The DJ said not even having too think about it.

“VINYL...!” Octavia exclaimed. “You’re absolutely right.” She finished after a pause and they both laughed making their way to the train station.

The walk to the train station was uneventful for the two mares. Their saddle bags only carried what was needed for the trip and nothing else much to the DJ dismay. They took their rest on the platform as they waited for the train. Octavia set her cello case down and sighed softly. “Do I really have to even go on a date with that stallion?” She asked looking at the wooden boards under her.

“Everything will be fine. I promise. They will think that we are engaged and that arranged marriage will be called off.” The white mare smiled and thought for a moment. “But something just came to me. What if they make us get married in place of you and this mystery stallion?”

“That is a good point… I…wouldn't be ag_” She replied slowly getting quieter and trailed off as the train started to pull into the station. The train hissed as it stopped on the platform.

Once the train was at a complete stop the two mares heard the loud voice of the conductor call out. “Ponyville, All off going to Ponyville.”

The train was slowly emptying as Octavia walked to the ticket booth and bought tickets to Canterlot. When she returned to Vinyl’s side she noticed her looking at something near the back of the train. There was a muffled voice inside the train and it sounded like it said. “This seems far enough.” A moment later two ponies came off the train. One a brown coated stallion with a blue mane and goatee bearing a chocolate candy bar cutie mark. The other one that was being levitated off of the train was a cute pink pony with a hot pink mane wearing a small hat with a gear on it bearing a gear cutie mark.

"Come on Rosa, this is far enough, get up" said the brown stallion.

The pink pony rolled over in the air and replied "Five more minutes."

The brown stallion just sighed and stopped levitating Rosa causing him to fall to the ground.

"OW, what was that for Coco?" said Rosa rubbing his flank while levitating his hat back on.

"Oh good, you're up?" replied Coco with a grin.

"Where are we anyway?" asked Rosa bushing himself off.

"Some place called Ponyville." answered the brown stallion.

"Ponyville? Never heard of it." replied the hot pink pony.

"Yeah, me either." said Coco.

"It's perfect! Now remember, not a word about Saddle Arabia you got that." said Rosa extending a hoof.

"Yeah, yeah." sighed Coco reaching out and shaking Rosa's hoof and heading for the exit.

“Did you see that Octy? That Stallion totally dropped that mare” The DJ said after the two stallions were out of ear shot.

“I’m not a mare Damn it!” yelled Rosa from outside the station causing the two mares to jump in shock.

“H-how did she hea… wait... not a mare? That was a stallion!?” The cellist asked looking back at Vinyl who just shrugged looking just as confused. "Huh... anyway let's get on the train" She said collecting her cello case and holding her hoof out to Vinyl with a ticket.

“All Aboard!” The conductor called out. The DJ took the ticket and the two walked into one of the cars on the train and looking for a seat. The car was completely empty except for them. In fact they were the only ponies that were taking the last train out.

Vinyl and Octavia made their way to a couple of seats and placed their saddle bags down with the cello being placed down beside them. She opened the case and looked it over carefully. Putting a hoof to the wood of her cello she sighed.

“I was meaning to ask you Octy, why did you bring that? I am sure you won’t need it.” The DJ said looking at the instrument and the grey mare looked over her shoulder with a smile. “Um, what's with that look Octy?”

“Oh Vinyl, that's where you are very wrong. As part of your practice of quiet dignity and grace you will have to sit through classical music at my parent’s house. No headphones are allowed during dinner.” She said with a frown and took the cello from its case standing there tuning it. “You will listen and love it.” She said pulling out the bow and closing it in the nook of her leg.

“No, anything but that Octy, please don't make me listen to that.” The white mare pleaded jokingly. “That's what you were expecting me to say right? I love all types of music, you know that. I just can’t stand the older pieces; I mean if I have to listen to another Beehoofen piece again I will scream. The new ones that you compose are awesome.” She said and smiled thinking. “Anything Octy plays is great. I could listen to it for hours.”

Octavia closed her eyes as she brought the bow to the strings. Her mind filtered through piece after piece of the music that she had composed over her years of playing the cello and nothing seemed to fit the mood she wanted to make. The train ride would be a long one and she wanted to show Vinyl that she cared about her in ways she didn’t know. She then just started to draw the bow over the strings. The white mare before her filled her mind, if only for a short time the DJ was hers and only hers. The song that started playing was slow and somber before turning to a joyous and loving tune.

Octavia seemed to play for what felt like forever to the DJ as the sound made time not matter, only her Octy mattered. She clapped her hooves together after the cellist stopped playing and she could only think. “Wow I need to add some cello into my mix somehow.” “You know Octy, I think that was the first time I heard that song. When did you write it?” She asked watching the cello being put away.

“Write it? Oh, I didn’t write that piece it just uh came to me.” The grey mare blushed as she clasped the last lock on the cello case. “And I thought you only liked Techno music, it shocked me to hear you like all types.” She said softly taking a seat across from the white mare.

“Octy, music is my life, just because I have a preference for wubs doesn't mean I don't like other genres as well. I listen to all sorts of music for inspiration, I've been getting quite a bit of it from a particular artist as of late.” The DJ said with a smile looking at the cellist. “Now since we have some time, what should we do? Oh I know, how about I tell you the story of the Rail Tracer?” She said with a devilish smirk.

“What is the Rail Tracer?” asked Octavia causing the smile to grow wider on Vinyl's face.

“The Rail Tracer is a mystical creature that hunts down…” The white mare started before a hoof being pushed to her lips made her stop.

“That was a test Vinyl and you failed it. I don’t care what the Rail Tracer thing is; we are to be practicing quiet dignity and grace. Not wasting time with fantasies.” Octavia stated slowly moving her hoof from the DJ’s mouth. She cleared her throat getting prepared for the next lesson.

“A test? You know I hate those.” The white mare slumped into her seat. She looked out the window and was transfixed on something outside.

“Okay so when we are having dinner with my parents…” The cellist started only to stop seeing that her words were having no effect on the unicorn. Octavia groaned as she hit Vinyl in the back of the head swiftly with a hoof.

“Ouch, Apples!” Exclaimed the DJ rubbing the back of her head. She frowned and looked to her pretend special somepony. “Octy, save that for the bedroom. Though if you’re into public play I …” She stopped talking upon seeing the death stare from the grey mare. “Sorry it’s just that…” She pointed outside the window and after rolling her eyes Octavia looked out with Vinyl.

Octavia was completely dumbstruck as floating outside the train in a bathtub was Discord. He had a rubber duck, a back scrubber and bubbles hiding most of his body as he washed his back. The two mares didn’t know what to make of this and were lost in the confusion of what the lord of chaos was doing. It wasn’t until Discord let out a high pitched girlish scream that they snapped out of it. “Do you mind? I am in the middle of a very relaxing bath. The nerve of some ponies.” He said reaching his lion arm out and pulling a drape closed from nowhere to block their view.

“I don’t… Nevermind back to the lesson.” Octavia said as she looked to Vinyl. “Now you have to remember that my parents are very stuck up and posh. So you will need to appeal to that part of them at dinner. In other words, no hay chips and try to sound like you have some class about you.” She said and pointed at her with a hoof and a glare that could melt ice.

“And if I don’t?” The DJ asked and winked. “What if I want to announce how hot and…” She was stopped again by another hoof across the back of the head. “Ouch! Apples Octy.” said the DJ.

Octavia was a bit confused by that but decided to dismiss it. Instead, she face hoofed with one of her trademark groans. “Vinyl, my dear, sweet, easily distracted Vinyl. Please be serious.” She said and looked at her only to see that the unicorn waving her hoof up in the air like a young school filly. “Yes Vinyl?” She asked a bit annoyed.

“I have to use the bathroom!” answered Vinyl still waving her hoof in the air.

This outburst from Vinyl wasn’t something that Octavia was use too and it only caused her to sigh. Looking down she shook her head and just shooed the DJ away with a hoof. “Oh fine, but when you get back we will return to the lesson.” said Octavia.

The white mare smiled as she got off her seat and trotted towards the front of the train. “Don't worry, I’ll be right back.” She said leaving the car with a smile on face.

The cellist waited for the DJ’s return so that the lesson could continue though it seemed to be taking quite a while. She decided to wait a little bit longer before coming to an enraging realization. There were no bathrooms on the Friendship Express. The train rides from station to station were long, but not long enough to require restrooms. Glaring at the realization that she was made a fool of she went on the hunt for the missing mare. “Oh you are going to get it Vinyl Scratch.” She said beginning to search each car to find her. It wasn't until she reached the very front of the train that she spotted her target talking with the conductor.

“Look, all I'm saying is that you guys should totally hook up a sound system in here and play some fresh beats during these longer trips.” Vinyl said as the conductor was doing his best to ignore her. He continued to shovel in the coals to make the train run. He had noticed Octavia before Vinyl had and his eyes pleaded with her to remove Vinyl so he didn’t have to listen to her ideas anymore.

"Hey, are you even lis…" Vinyl started before Octavia grabbed her tail and started dragging her back into the passenger cars. Once they were a few cars away she let the tail go and moved to face her friend with a rather stern look on her face.

“Do you want this to work out not? Honestly I think you want me to marry that stallion.” She said with hurt and frustration in her voice.

“Wha? No Octy, what made you think that? I just find these lessons on grace and... that quiet dignity thing boring. Besides we have the train to ourselves, why not teach me more lessons on being a couple? We can start with kissing.” Suggested the unicorn before getting another hoof to the back of the head. “Oww, Apples Octy.”

“Why do you keep saying apples? I don’t understand.” Octavia said as she looked at the DJ confused about why she would keep saying that.

“Duh, it’s my safe word for when you get to rough with me. You should remember, you're the one who came up with it last nigh_…” She said and swiftly covered her head with her legs. “Ah! Apples! Apples!” She called out avoiding getting hit again.

Octavia sighed and turned around to get something from her cello case. Vinyl, not being hit, peeked her head out from the cover of her hoofs to be greeted with some scrolls. "Huh, what's this?" asked Vinyl.

"A list of topics that can and cannot be talked about while having dinner with my parents." answered Octavia.

"What the, why do I need this?" questioned the DJ looking at how long the scrolls were.

“Seeing how you like to joke around so much, I've taken the time to write out the does and don'ts so you don't embarrass me out there.” replied the cellist.

"What? When did I ever embarrass you before?" asked Vinyl.

Octavia looked at the DJ and said "Oh I don't know, how about the time you brought your own hay chips into the restaurant, or how you insist on telling the waitress that it's my birthday anytime I leave to go to the fillies room. I can go on."

"But it's free cake." Vinyl said in her defense.

"Hush you, if I were to add all the times ponies sang me happy birthday to me I would be as old as Celestia. Now back to the lesson at hoof, let's begin with the don'ts" said Octavia grabbing one of the scrolls and undoing the band around it.

"You never complain when you're eating the cake with me" whispered Vinyl under her breath. It was then that Octavia got the band off and the scroll started rolling down, first the floor, then to the second chair, and before she knew it, it had rolled out the car door. "What the buck? Octy, is there anything that you can talk to you folks about?" asked Vinyl trying to see if the scroll had stopped rolling.

"That'll be covered after I cover the things you should NEVER talk about. Number one, the most important one, don’t EVER talk about my sexual exploits, number two DON’T talk about my sexual exploits, number three NO talking about my sexual exploits. Am I making this clear for you Vinyl?” She asked and was met with a groan from the white mare across from her.

“But that's like, over half the topics I had planned.” Replied Vinyl who immediately ducked just barely dodging a hoof from the grey mare. “Ha! You missed.” she said in celebration but was quickly met with a hoof to the gut. “Apples.” She groaned before hitting the floor.

"Are you going to listen or do I need to get out my bow?" asked the frustrated cellist.

“Can’t we save that for the bedroom?” said Vinyl poking her head up playfully only to see a death glare from the cellist. "Ok, I'll be quiet now." replied the DJ lowing her head back down. A few seconds later she got back up and sat on the seat again. "Ok Octy, I'm ready."

"Alright, now item number four, don't talk about wubs. Number five...~” Octavia continued reading the list and for a while she was actually kind of happy that Vinyl was not trying to avoid her advice with her usual shenanigans. "You know Vinyl, I think that'll be enough. I'm actually getting quite tried reading all this myself."

Vinyl didn't move or reply to this at all.

"Vinyl?" asked Octavia, going in to investigate. It was when she heard the faint snore followed by a soft whisper “Wub, wub, wub.” from the white mare. The Cellists eyes narrowed on to the mare's purple sunglasses. She took them off to see if her suspicions were true only to see that she was wearing a sleeping mask underneath.

A bit frustrated, she was about to smack her so called fiancé when she read the message on the mask that said "I Wub U". The gray mare just sighed after reading it and looked back at the sleeping unicorn

"Honestly, what am I going to do with you?" she asked herself. She smiled and rested her head on Vinyl's, with the soft sound of the DJ's breathing and the moving tracks, Octavia yawned "Maybe, just a little nap won't hurt." she said before quickly falling asleep next to her DJ.

Some time had passed and Vinyl slowly woke up levitating her mask off with a gray aura. She stretched and looked down only to see Octavia cuddled up on her sleeping. The white unicorn began to blush, mind now racing "Oh my gosh, Is Octy sleeping on me. She Is So CUTE!!!! Oh please Luna, if this is still a dream, I don't want to wake up!"

It was then that the train began to slow down and the conductor came on the mic "Now arriving at Canterlot Station."

The Voice woke the Cellist up, and she got up with a yawn. Rubbing her eyes she looked at the unicorn and said "Morning Vinyl" and started gathering her items to leave the train. The DJ made a mental note to write an angry letter to the Conductor's manager about being a dream wrecker as they left the train.

“It took you girls long enough to get here. Bon Bon was getting tired of waiting.” said a familiar voice and the two looked at a mint green mare.

“Lyra, no it can’t be. How did you get here before us?” Vinyl asked.

“Well, you got me. By all accounts it doesn’t make sense.” answered Lyra shrugging.

“Huhhh we took an earlier train Lyra, you know this. By Celestia if it wasn’t for your flank.” The yellow mare said as she walked into view. “We even got a couple of hotel rooms for cheap in an area lite up with the most beautiful red lights.” She said with a dreamy smile.

“You mean the red light distract? Wait… rooms?” Octavia asked as she looked to them and they nodded.

“Oh yes we figured that you would want to stay away from your parents as long as possible, so we rented two rooms.” Lyra said and puffed out her chest as to say it was her idea.

“I suggested we get the two rooms. Lyra was more obsessed with what one we would get. She was so excited to get the Daring Do room that I had no choice, you know how Lyra gets.” Bon Bon said making the mint green unicorn deflate her chest and frown.

“You didn’t have to tell them that Bon Bon. But I am excited! Our room even came with its own whip.” Lyra said excitedly clapping her hooves together.

“Sweet! What room did we get?” Vinyl asked and got a hoof to the side from Octavia. “What? I want to know what theme we got. Oh and apples by the way.” She smirked, and Octavia facehoofed.

“We got you the second-best room available. It the honey-moon suite I am sure you both will know what to do with that.” Bon Bon chuckled as she winked at them.

The two mares blushed but walked with their friends towards the red light distract. Octavia tried to keep a low profile hoping not to be seen by her mother and father in this area of Canterlot. They made it to the hotel without being stopped or harassed by anypony. The Cellist was just thankful that they were not noticed by anypony she knew.

Upon opening the door to their room Octavia and Vinyl stopped in their tracks and just stared. The room was pink and filled with hearts and the scent of strawberries. It didn’t help the fact that romantic music started playing when they opened the door and rose pedals lined the way to the big heart shaped bed. While Vinyl would have normally made a joke about this, it was just far too much and too awkward so she decided against it. They looked at each other and wore the same expression.

“Um… I… Sleep.” Octavia stammered out as he walked to the bed and laid down on it.

"Yeah, me too....um Octy...there's only one bed." Vinyl pointed out

"Don't remind me, let's just go to sleep." replied the cellist

“Okay, so we're going shopping tomorrow then?” Vinyl asked.

“Yes Vinyl, right after breakfast.” She said as she turned off the lights and closed her eyes. Both the mares tried their best to fall asleep, but the room kept them both up for a while.

"Hey Octy... you asleep?" asked Vinyl

"No, you?" asked Octavia

"No" replied Vinyl

Octavia sighed "This is going to be a long night."

Author's Note:

Thank you guys for reading and let's just get this out of the way. Yes Rosa and I Stan Lee'd ourselves into the story. If you guys didn't like it I blame Rosa it was his idea. I have been putting references throughout the chapters that I hope some people have made notice of. It is a fun game to say how many you found in each chapter. This chapter has four in it. The Stan Lee cameo is one of those four. How many can you find? Thanks again for reading and sorry it took so long to get this chapter out to you guys.

- Coco the Bearded :derpytongue2: