• Published 3rd Jul 2018
  • 4,414 Views, 253 Comments

Rainbow's Lonesome Road - Centurion Pike-Wall



The Mare-do-well incident goes wrong. Very, very wrong. Leading to rainbow wounded and alone.

  • ...
13
 253
 4,414

Mercenaries

She walked up to the booth, looking over the two in said booth. The two of them looked hardened, as shown by the rents and scratches on their armor, among other things. She stopped just in front of the booth, meeting the eyes of both. She then said, "Can I help you?"

The hippogriff cleared his throat before saying, "Names Mercury-wash, and this is Tempest. We're mercenaries. And we have a problem."

Voids eyes narrowed. She of course knew what mercenaries were; they were ponies (or hippogriffs in this case) who fought for anyone as long as they played them. During one of the Daring Do books, Daring Do and the Helm of New Roam she believed, Dr. Caballeron hired some mercenaries to Take the previously stated helm from her. They nearly succeded, but Daring paid them off. While she, and many other fans, thought they were cool, they were definitely not portrayed as the nicest ponies.

Holding her spear a little harder, she asked, "What kind of problem?"

The pony, Tempest, said, "You just killed one of our team." Pointing behind void at the dead minotaur, who was being dragged out back by the bartender.

Void said, "He attacked me."

Tempest held up her hooves in a I surrender way. "Not blaming you; hated him anyway. But, now....."

"We're short for a job, and you owe us," Mercury finished for her. He then stood up, grabbing his sword. "Join our merry band of mercs, or...we turn you over to the authorities." Across from him, tempest shot her a cold smile, showing her no sympathy.

Void considered her options. She didn't want this kind of work, just fighting people for some SB's. But, in this case, exactly what choice did she have? The two of them had seen her kill the minotaur, as well as the whole bar. If she refused, they had all the evidence they needed to put her in a cell. Or worse. And she doubted she could fight them. They were definitely experienced, and there were two of them. Even if she was a match for them, they wouldn't be fair or cowardly enough to let her right them one at a time. Plus, while the gems would last her a while, they would run dry. It would be nice to get some spare money to have on hand.

"What do I have to do?" She asked. At this, Tempest stood up, revealing that she didn't in fact have a weapon.

She replied, "Well, first you have to follow us." She and Mercury then led her toward the stairwell leading to one of the below ground rooms. Following them down a flight of stairs led them to a hall of rooms lining the hall; five on each side, the in total. They led void to the third on the left, swung it open, and Mercury stepped in. As tempest seemed to wait for her to go in, she entered with, sure enough, Tempest following her.

Inside, was a large room. A decent sized Bed stood against the wall, a nightstand next to it with a lamp upon it. A dresser stood along another wall, and another pair door in the room seemed to reveal that this had a closet and bathroom. She guessed this was one of the luxury rooms that she had been told about, and it showed. While a little spartcolt, it was sure nicer compared to the stone floor of a cave, a leaf mat, or the desert sand, that she was used to sleeping on. However, she only registered these details after she took in the other beings in the room.

There were at seven of them, each with a unique, flair to them, for lack of a better word. One was a zebra with a circular shield and a dagger. Another was a griffin with a very large mallet, and covered head to toe in chainmail. A third was her another form of bipedal lizard, this one much shorter with a short sword. A pair of them appeared to be twins; a pair of small buffalo, sharp iron spikes mounted to their horns. Next was a pegasi dressed in a modified suit of royal guard armor. All of them sat around the room, sharpening weapons, readying themselves for something.

A final figure stood just inside the room, sharpening a small pair of curved long knives. He was a red and black coated unicorn, with a military buzzcut of dark green, almost black, mane. He wore a suit of red leather armor, with a metal helmet covering most of his face. His armor didn't cover his cutie mark though; a stack of three coins with a bloody axe leaning on it.

As they entered, Mercury said, "Hey boss. This is..what's your name?"

Void replied, "Void streak."

'Boss' said, "I don't exactly care what her name is. What's she doing her? And where is Mathis?"

Tempest said, "She killed him. He got drunk, and tried to hit on her. Forcibly. She managed to shank him with a bottle. So, she agreed to fill in for him on this job. Or, like good ole' merc her said, we can always work out another way, to settle your debt. " As she spoke, Mercury gave her a devilish grin, while all the others in the room were sizing her up. Well, no going back now, she thought.

"That won't be necessary," She said. "I'm in need of some work anyway. So, exactly what are we doing?"

The leader said, "Eager, are we? Well, we were just ready to move out, but since your new, I guess that introductions are in order. I'm Cold bit. The twins are Stormcracker and Windcracker. The zebras zabrasha. The lizard is Te'helcath'uluse, yes I know it's a mouthful, but we don't have a nickname for him, so just call him te. The griffin is called Gerald, and finally we got Sliver spear. Now, let's move out." They all stood up to leave, and void realized something.

"Wait, now? I just rented a room!" She asked. Cold bit, standing in the doorway, just stopped and looked back at her.

"I don't give a hoot in hell! We are going, and that's that! Now, let's go!" With that, he left, the others following him. She hated him already, and he was in charge. This wouldn't last; there was no way in tartarus she would be loyal to him. Oh well. Guess I have no choice. With that, she rushed to catch up, then trotted alongside them. One her way out, she left her key on the counter, then followed them out of the inn, and the town itself.