• Published 3rd Jul 2018
  • 4,413 Views, 253 Comments

Rainbow's Lonesome Road - Centurion Pike-Wall



The Mare-do-well incident goes wrong. Very, very wrong. Leading to rainbow wounded and alone.

  • ...
13
 253
 4,413

Job

Author's Note:

I will be referring to Rainbow as Void Streak from now on, as that will be how she will intro due herself as and what others will call her.

It has been three weeks since she had been taken in by Iron Plow. She had been well fed and given some medicine to help her heal. She soon got better, feeling much stronger. Eventually, she was allowed to walk around the house. From there, she had meet Plows daughter, iron rake. Cute little filly, with a lot of energy. Finally, a few days later, it was time for the bandages to come off.

"Alright, now, this may hurt. A LOT. "Said doc Mitchell. Sure enough, it hurt quite a bit. Plow gave her a piece of wood to bite down on. After he finished ripping it off, she noticed something was wrong. One side of her felt lighter. Doc then pulled up the mirror, and set in front of her. "Now, ms. Streak, you were heavily injured. Including the scars on your face, you also-"
But he was cut off by a loud gasp by Streak.

Her wing!! She had lost her wing!! Where her left one once was, was just a scabbed over stump. Her right one was relatively ok, just a few holes in it that wouldn't affect flight, but she didn't notice. Not did she notice the long, jagged scars that crisscrossed her chest, back, and side. She even didn't notice, at least now, her cutie Mark on her left flank had been completely skinned off her. She just broke down crying. She had lost her special talent; her very reason to exist was gone.

Iron Plow placed a hoof on her shoulder in support. "Hey, hey. I know I don't know what it feels like, losing your flank mark and your talent. But, H***, the more you lay around moping, the harder it will be to restart. Now, sit down, I have a proposition for you." Still crying, Void went over to a crumbling chair, and sat down in it. Doc had to leave, and plow went over to the other one. She sat down in her chair, and looked over at her. " how you holding up. I want to know if be trying to kill yerself. "

She replied, "Don't worry, I shouldn't. Just, a lot to take in, you know? *Sigh*. So, what's your proposition?"

Plow smiled. "Good. You seem like a good pony, and I'm understaffed. So, I could offer you a spot as a farm hand."

" Really? Thank you. "

"Don't thank me. It don't pay well, and it ain't exactly luxury living. So, I could always give you some supplies and a map to the nearest town, and send you on yer-"

Streak silenced her with a wave of a hoof. "When you loose everything, you hold onto what you believe in. And I believe that in loyalty. You took me in when you didn't have, and saved me. So, I'll return the favor. Least I could do."

At this she smiled. "Great! Now, follow me, I'll show you to where you'll be staying." She led the still shaken streak out of the house. When she got out and looked back at it did she realize how bad it was. It was always quite cozy, but would be considered a ruin back in equestria; the upper Windows were boarded, the paint had nearly completely been driven off, and the shingles were non-existent. It looked ready to fall apart. She also got a good look at the farm itself. A massive field of what looked like some kind of fruit trees. They looked like palm trees, but had massive bundles of reddish colored fruit up by the base of the leaves.

Plow lead her toward a smaller building. Once more, it was, at least by equestrian standards, pitiful. It was mostly made of boards and sheet metal. The door had no hinges; just a piece of wood over a crude frame. Inside was also a meager supply of stuff. There were six mats layed out in a semi-circle around a pit. On the other side of it was an old table with some cards on it. A few large boxes stood in the back, as well as a barrel of what looked like water.

There were four creatures in the shack. One was a gruff grey and light brown griffin. Another was a red and dull blue colored earth pony with one of those fruits for a cutie mark. Another was a diamond dog with an angular snout, as well as light brown and black fur. The final one was, some sort of pony-bug hybrid thing, with insect wings, but blue eyes, and hole riddled hoofs. They were sitting around the table, which had cards and stacks of some kind of paper on them. They all stared at her, as plow coughed behind her. "Ok boys, this is the new worker we just hired. Now, no scaring her off, or else there will be the devil to pay, get me? " they all nodded.

After plow left, the griffin came up to her, and held out a talon. "Hey, how's it going? Names Garrett, Shepard and I were the ones who pulled you out of the river. My other acquaintances are date shucker and antenna. You? "

"I-I'm void streak. Thanks for that, by the way. So, what do you guys do? Also, "she said, looking at the weird creature at the table," what are you? "

Antenna answered for Garrett. "We are currently not doing anything as it ain't harvest yet. But when it comes, we go out and pick the fruit with ladders and cutters. Hard, not work, but all we have. Can't grow apples like those Applousian C****, and dates are the only things we can. And, I'm a changling. We can change shape and feed on love. So, naturally I'm constantly hungry. "

"Oh yeah. Your going to want this, streak." Said date shucker, as she tossed something at her. It was a bandana, made of thick burlap and undyed. "We have to were these when picking the fruit, less the dust, and whatever other crap comes out of those damn trees. You'll also get some goggles later case a sandstorm hits."

"Ok, thanks. So, what are you doing. " Void asks.

"Cards" Shepard said.

"Can, I join?"

Date said, "no, you don't got anything to bet. Plus, you haven't played, and it wouldn't be fair. So, just watch." So she did, and found she was right. It did look pretty complex. She had no idea what was going on, like at all. However, as time went on, she began to get it a little bit. At least, she hoped. At some point, Garrett left the game and went to pit in the middle of the room. By the time the game was over, he came back with a piece of bread. He set it on the table, and cut five pieces with a large knife. He handed one to each of them. With food in front of her, she realized just how hungry she was. With that in mind, she took a massive bite.

A second later, she spat it out. It tasted horrible! After wiping her tounge, she noticed the others laughing at her. As they settled down, Garrett said, "you don't eat it all at once. You eat it hits by bite, and try to chew as little as possible. What, you never had sawbread before?"

Before she could answer, the dog answered for her. "Remember, dim-wit? They boss said that she's a northerner. And what is a pony country to the north?"

Garrett mouthed 'OH', then shrugged and said, "you could have said no. Just eat it like I said to eat it." She did, and found he was right. While it tasted horrible, and was still a little hard going down, it was quite filling. After a little time, Garrett said, "alright, let's get some shut eye. Night, fellows."

Void then realized just how late it was. It was already night out. The others layed on the mats, using there work cloths as a shelter from the cold. She didn't have any, and her fur was still pretty thin from the blades, so she shivered. Her first night out of the bandages, and she wished they were back. At least they were warm. Eventually, the cold was overrun by her sleepiness, and she drifted off.

Or, at least, she tried to, as date, who had the mat next to her said, "so, what's it like up in equestria? Is it true they have running water and food whenever they want? That they can afford to have a party every week? That they control basically everthing; the plants, animals, and even the weather?"

Streak, tired, said simply, "yes, twice a week, and yes." As Date didn't press further, Void went to sleep.