• Published 20th Sep 2018
  • 2,907 Views, 149 Comments

A Story of Love (Among Others) - TheMareWhoSaysNi



Rainbow Dash, a future rockstar, has met a boy! She didn't look for it, but love knocked on her door (literally). The beginning of a lovely story? Or rather, of a nightmare?

  • ...
7
 149
 2,907

The Angel and the Badman

"Munday". Lucy Liu's name in the movies of "Charlie's Angels". That was how boys from CAM nicknamed me. The reason? Very simple! I was known for being the girl who rebuffed boys in the most honest and blunt fashion. Some also called me the "Ice Princess". But that nickname was less fun, less imaginative. I liked being Munday. I liked being the girl that said no before they even asked a question. Probably that was why, once again, some thought I was a lesbian but I didn't care the least about what they thought. All that mattered to me was that they never came and bugged me. I'd even say they never came at all. End of the story, ciao, bye.

Yet on this beautiful shiny winter day, I was a happy Munday. No longer frowning and throwing thunderbolts at any boys who dared looking in my direction. After Soarin went away, I realized that all this would hurt me less if I gave it a lesser importance. I had to focus back on me and on the things that I wanted from life. I had to envision Soarin and I as the nice interlude of my ambition. It didn't mean I loved him less. I still loved him very much. It only meant I would stop building frustration in my chest just because I hated to be played with by his agent. And so, I could be full of hope for the future.

I had been charged by Vice-Principal Luna who, I'm still not sure why, was really fond of me, to get photocopies that she had forgotten, in her office.

The school and my class' schedule were going to be very tight for the upcoming months. First, in a few weeks, there was going to be Hearts & Hooves Day, our Equestrian equivalent to Valentine's Day. CAM had a very cool tradition on Hearts & Hooves Day, consisting of units of classes in charge to organize a party, with an original theme and the best party with the greatest number of persons from the lower grades who attended would win an awesome prize, like coupons for free restaurants all year long, free instruments, free concerts, all sort of things. There were very few chances for Soarin to come and visit me for the occasion yet I was very excited anyway because of that. You know, I like to win and I was willing to make everything I could so we would get the prize. Especially as we had the best party planner of all town, aka Pinkie Pie.

After Hearts & Hooves Day, there would be what is called The Blooming of Flowers. It was some sort of festival where future candidates to the school went to visit it in order to decide whether or not they want to study here. Once again, there was going to be some kind of competition since each student had to convince the largest number of potential newcomers to study their instruments. In my case, for guitar, there are no big problems, but for cello, that was another thing. Not a lot of people want to study an instrument so imposing. For the occasion, we all had to dress formally.

Finally, we were going to have what served as exams for us. It was a gala where students of the fourth year presented a concert, in groups or solo. In the audience, there was going to be professional of the musical world, modern and classical, who would, in some kind of way, do their groceries. It was the most important event of them all, especially for those like me who didn't plan on studying for two more years and had to be hired by a production company or an orchestra. With Rarity and Pinkie, we were planning to play as a trio with two-parts: first a modern composition of our own, then a classical piece from Zoltan Kodaly, called "Sonate op. 8".

So, Vice-Principal Luna who was our teacher for traditional classes, in literature, had sent me to get photocopies of the school's program and especially of how the gala was supposed to happen. Corridors were almost empty but I could hear the chatters of the on-going classes as I was hopping, very Pinkie-like, while singing the tune of the song the girls and I have composed. I didn't know why I felt so gleeful, whether it had to do with the fact that everything was back in order again with Soarin or only the perspective of all the upcoming competitions but I was so high I was a bit absent-minded, which wasn't much like me and my photographic memory, always on the outlook of everything going on around me.

And what went around came around. Of course, I bumped into someone. Hard. So hard all the photocopies fell on the floor and I fell too, on my bottom. I let out a small "ouch!" which probably sounded much more like a scream from a truck driver overtook by a car, before I realized my papers were scattered all around the place.

As fast as I could, I tried to gather my stack, crounching like a frog. Thankfully, the lanky person I bumped into leaned over and helped me. But the real shock was when I looked up to see who this generous soul was. Guess who it was... Come on! At least, try. Giving up?

That was that good old Thunderlane!

Yeah, you know, Thunderlane, that very popular guy who had a crush on me and confessed right after I started dating Soarin. The one and only.

He was now not only the idol of the girls in first year but also of all the other years and classes of CAM. A real living fantasy for racing hormones.

"Are you okay?" he asked me with a smile. "Did I hurt you?"

"Of course not..." I said shrugging, more focused on my papers than I was on his person. "Don't worry, I'm solid rock. Small but tougher!"

Emerged the shadow of a laugh which died as quickly before he kept on gathering the papers, speechless. I had very little occasion to speak to him since I rejected him on that strange Monday morning, especially as he was in a complete different class than mine, expect on the lessons we had in the amphitheaters.

We were always done in our task when he spoke to me again. And I can tell you, I was in shock. Even I couldn't have expected what would happen next. I realize now that in reality, I didn't even know him at all.

"Say! Are you still with that boyfriend of yours?"

"Uh uh..." I said, shrugging again.

What the hell was he doing? He probably had forgotten that I wasn't nicknamed Munday or even The Ice Princess for no reason. And I was rather sure he knew about the nickname and rumors since everybody knew them. Someone had even written on the door of one toilet "Rainbow Dash is a f*cking cold-hearted b*tch who desperately needs to get laid". It's so sweet of you to be so worried about my sexual life, but I'm doing very fine, thank you.

"But Rarity's free, isn't she? Could you ask her whether she'd like to hang out with me sometimes?"

Yes, Rarity had been free for a little while now. Her very serious boyfriend who knew her parents broke up with her a long time ago because he had met an older girl, a model, who he fell head over heels for. Was she sad? Not in the least! Someone else was already in her heart, by that time.

But the very infuriated part of the speech resided elsewhere. The guy tried to take his chance on me but seeing there was no way, he had his heart set on another of my girl friends. I already had my palms burning with the urge to hit his head against the floor.

"Sorry, Rarity's in love with someone else."

That someone was Sandalwood. Of course. Well, they never said "I love you" to each other, but neither did Soarin and I and yet we were in love. I wasn't quite sure why things didn't move at all between them, though. Like Kathryn Merteuil in "Cruel Intentions" said: "Unfortunately, our Don Juan is moving with the speed of a Special Olympics hurdler." Holler to the greatest quotable character of all time (equally-ranked with Rizzo from "Grease"... but that's a very personal opinion).

"Ah." He sounded relatively disappointed. "And Flutteshy dates Big Mac, right?"

That was another thing I forgot about. They had some kind of love at the first sight but since they both were shy, it took quite sometimes before Big Macintosh finally invited Fluttershy out. Yet, ever since, they were the sappiest pair of lovebirds CAM had ever witnessed.

And yeah. It was also revolting that he sounded like he wanted to hit on Fluttershy as well, after his chances with both Rarity and I were gone. Gives you an idea of the type of guy.

"They've been together for six months already. Sorry. The twins are free, though."

It seemed like he absolutely wanted to screw someone from my bunch of friends so I was only trying to help. Among all the girls fantasizing of being noticed by Thunderlane, there still was Lyra and Bon Bon, of course. Some things never changed.

"Yuk! No thanks!"

I couldn't help frowning. He was talking about two very good friends of mine. Now I know Lyra and Bon Bon weren't exactly the discreet type but they were pretty and a lot of boys would have given anything to get a chance with one of them. They knew how to dress, they were funny, they were good in music, knew a lot of things about a lot of different topics. And they were crazy about that guy. He could have litterally asked them anything, they would have done it without further thinking.

If he wanted to have some nice sweet girl, an ideal figure of feminity, he would never had a crush on me in the first place. I almost never wore high-heel shoes, wore very little makeup, I didn't care about my nails or about anything cute or frilly. I had - almost - always been boasty, brash, straightforward, nasty, competitive, aggressive. In nutshell, a string of traits characteristically not gendered as being "feminine". Whatever that might mean.

I was almost done with my papers when an idea popped into my mind. Since he was trying to get all the girls from my bunch, except "the twins", there was one good-looking girl with a killer body and a pastel wardrobe who was dying for a boyfriend...

"Well, then... There's still Pinkie."

At the sound of the name "Pinkie", his disgusted expression turned into something else, that I wasn't sure I could decipher. It seemed to be asking me whether I went nut or something.

"No thanks!" he claimed as we both got up on our feet again. "I like quieter girls best. I mean... Not quiet but, girls who know how to behave. With her, I'm going to be ashamed to get out of my house. And that curly haircut. No f*cking way."

What a jerk! I swear I wanted to punch his loverboy face in the nose.

He didn't look embarrassed in the least to say such things in front of me. Pinkie Pie was my best friend and everyone in the school knew it. Yeah, she also had her flaws, just like anyone else, being loud, jumpy, sometimes silly, messy in her ideas, curious, singing for no reason, saying the wrong things at the wrong moments. But at the same time, she was the best person I knew. Her heart was so big she could have loved about just anybody and she was a real ray of sunshine for anyone feeling blue. No one could give you a good laugh as much as Pinkie did. And this guy who didn't know her at all, who only stuck to appearances, dared implying she was bad-mannered and embarrassing to be with, romantically.

He could have the face of an angel. Deep inside, he was a jerk. A narrow-minded jerk with a penis where others had a brain and a heart. If I had no feelings at all about him before, I was seriously starting to hate him from now on. He could go to hell, for as far as I was concerned, I wouldn't try to save him at all.

Beginning to walk without a goodbye, I tried to leave him behind, on full-mode Munday. But that moron kept on walking beside me.

"Ya know... If one day, you and your boyfriend break up, maybe you could think about me. I'll be waiting for you."

Said the guy who asked me if he two of my closest friends were free right after I turned him away. Who the hell did he think he was? Dissing on my best friend, and trying to take his chance on me again afterward? Boy, Santa Claus was invented by Coca Cola and sirens were a legend! Better start believing pigs will fly.

"Don't wait. I'll never think of you. Like, at all."

Then, I bumped into him, this time voluntarily and kept on walking, but in the opposite way. If there was a deity in the sky, then my path would never meet the path of that jerk again. But conversely to some, I knew Santa Claus was an invention.