• Published 20th Sep 2018
  • 2,906 Views, 149 Comments

A Story of Love (Among Others) - TheMareWhoSaysNi



Rainbow Dash, a future rockstar, has met a boy! She didn't look for it, but love knocked on her door (literally). The beginning of a lovely story? Or rather, of a nightmare?

  • ...
7
 149
 2,906

Carnival of Souls

Here was what my mother's old apartment looked like exactly. It was a 50 m² duplex apartment in the Castle area, at the complete opposite of Silk Street and so, of the Castle itself. Once the main door was behind you, there was a closet with a rail to hang your coats and jackets. There you were in the family room with an equipped open-plan kitchen (I had a dishwasher!). Right under the stairs, there was a very small bedroom with a very, very small bathroom - only a shower cubicle and toilets, nothing big at all. When you climbed the granite stairs, you found two bedrooms, mine and a small and very cute guest room. There was another toilets and a much wider bathroom, very modern, all in black and white and a very convinient laundry room. As I was bad at decoration, I asked Rarity to help me.

I gave her a budget taken from my inheritage and she decorated it according to both what was in fashion and what I liked. The most important was that she bought an enormous bookcase in mahogany or whatever she wanted so I could put away my huge collection of DVDs. One of the first thing that was to be seen when stepping into the living-room was that beautiful bookcase full of the most wonderful movies ever made.

I was no longer nostalgic when I thought about the CAM. Well, to be exact, I was, but I tried not to think about it too much. I just had to put up with the fact that this part of my life was over and a new leaf had to be written down.

With the girls, we already had a very well-established schedule. I woke up around eight in the morning and got prepared, waiting for them to arrive, after what we took our breakfast together and called a cab to get to the recording studio. Except a small break for lunch and some to rest our limbs, we were recording until something like five in the afternoon. After that, we went out downtown Canterlot to stretch our legs and I went back home at something like seven and a half, took a shower, ate and watch a movie or a TV show before going to bed.

The last part was the ideal but the truth was that I hardly could have a night alone since I wasn't at the youth hostel anymore. First, there was Coloratura. Her career was a standstill and she had trouble coping with the fact her manager preferred to invest his whole energy into a boysband. She was complaining a lot and drinking a lot and clubbing a lot and sometimes, it was hard to be on the right track with her. Sometimes, Daring Doo came or invited me to dinner with her fiancé. And there was Fire Streak, of course. I liked him very much but sometimes I couldn't help thinking he was taking me for a fool.

In fact, Daring Doo and Fire Streak had something in common, other than Filthy Rich. They both were going to get married this year. It had been a while since Fire Streak asked his lovely model fiancée but she took some time too before she gave her answer. I wasn't sure whether it was because she knew he was always cheating on her and if that was the case, I didn't know what took her so long. In her shoes, I would have run away.

It was going to be my birthday on the next day. Twenty-two years-old felt strange yet I was very excited. Filthy Rich promised me Soarin would be there. I just couldn't wait to see him! He was going to have a break in his promotion tour and would come at my double party before we would both go on a little trip to Fillydelphia in order to visit his sick granny. I was certain that, despite the sad circumstances, it was going to be awesome.

Everybody was going to be there too: Pinkie, Rarity, Fluttershy and Big Mac, of course, as well as Fire Streak, Coloratura, "the twins" and maybe even Daring Doo would pay us a visit. And I invited Cheese Sandwich as well, as a thank you for the many times he saved me when I was on trouble, especially for what we called "the Thunderlane Case". My father kept on harassing me to come to Cloudsdale but I wanted to stay with Soarin, after I hadn't seen him for so long. Maybe I was being selfish here but I didn't really care. It felt good sometimes!

===================================================***=====================================

I was getting prepared in the little bathroom of the first floor, filled up with energy. That day could be nothing but a very good day. I was going to have a party, with all my closest friends and my boyfriend, that I hadn't seen for months. In the kitchen and living-room, the girls, Big Mac and Fire Streak were working to prepare the party, under the close supervision of my own personal planners, Pinkie and Cheese Sandwich. Both had decided that, since I was the heroine of the day, I had nothing to do than to look pretty for Soarin. I just couldn't wait.

When my phone rang, I was busy doing my hair. It always was a whole challenge to brush it without mixing the colors. Rainbow hair is a rare thing, which I have always been proud of but I admit they sometimes were a hell to tame and arrange so that looked pretty. I didn't look at the name on the screen and picked up the phone, blocked between my shoulder and my cheek. I thought maybe there was someone who wanted to wish me a happy birthday though I didn't really know who.

"Hello?" I asked, smiling almost despite myself.

"Dashie..."

Only a few persons called me Dashie. One of them was my older sister, another one was dead and again another one was in the room next to mine. It could be no one else than Soarin. And it would have been a happy moment if his voice wouldn't have sounded so dreary. I only hoped his grandmother hadn't passed away...

"What's going on? Where are you?"

"Now, you mean? Well..." he said, sounding angry. "In Las Pegasus."

In other words, at the other end of the country.

"What? But... You haven't left yet? I was going to pick you at the railroad station."

"I won't be here, Dashie."

No! What was happening? It couldn't be! Obviously, his grandmother hadn't passed away or else he wouldn't have been in Las Pegasus but in Fillydelphia, with his family and he wouldn't sound so upset, but very sad.

Please... Don't tell me it is what I think it is...

"Why...?" I finally said, a lump in my throat.

"Why?"

I heard him sighing. My heart thumped so much I wanted to press my hand against it and lie down. I was shaky and nervous. If he didn't say another word, I swear I was ready to lash my frustration at the walls around me. After a silence, Soarin finally went on.

"Filthy Rich have decided to add a date of promotion in Las Pegasus. I've insisted but it was already planned and I had nothing to say. I'm so fed up with all this..."

I couldn't say a word. The stab on my back was too painful. Filthy Rich promised me. There was going to be no problem, I could count on Soarin's presence, a hundered percent sure. I couldn't breath. I wasn't the only one upset and angry. At the end of the line, I could sense Soarin was a nervous wreck. I think that was the detail which hurt me the most. To know he was suffering too.

"I don't understand why he always does that. F*ck!! I thought he was going to always act in my own interests. I thought that... maybe, if I did everything right, he would... stop with all... all this bullsh*t!!"

"I think he does that for your interests, you know. This is why he takes these decisions."

I wasn't trying to defend Filthy Rich. I still hated him with all my heart but I couldn't lie to Soarin, just to please him. He believed in Soarin's potential as a long-career actor, it was crystal clear. I didn't like what he was doing to him, what he was doing to me, but it was the truth.

That didn't mean we were putting up with it, though.

"Are you kidding me?"

"He thinks about your career. Imagine if your fans learn you have a girlfriend, it could ruin it all..."

"I don't give a f*ck about my career, Dashie!"

I was so shocked. It was the first time I heard him give way. In my mind, Soarin was a rock, as solid as a mountain, impossible to move. Yet I knew, deep inside, that he had his flaws but I needed to tell me he was strong so I could be strong too. We were a pair, the same pearls of a necklace. If one was down, the other was down too. I had to do something and reverse the trend.

"You say that but you know you do care. It's your life, Soarin, your future, not something trivial."

"Maybe but... I can't help being angry! You're important to me to and... I wanted to see you so bad."

Damn! I so wanted to cry but I needed not to give in. If he couldn't be strong, I had to be strong for the both of us although I really wanted to see him and I was furious against Filthy Rich, especially on such an important day, however I didn't want Soarin to do things he would regret.

As I didn't say anything, Soarin called me out.

"Dashie, are you okay?"

I wanted to answer but he didn't let me.

"No, of course, you're not okay, what a stupid question!"

"Don't worry, I'm fine. I got my friends with me, everything's going to be good. I can understand why you're mad, but don't worry about me. We'll see each other very soon, I know it. Have a little trust."

"But that's your birthday..."

"I told you everything's going to be alright. Do your promotion and do your best for me. Pinkie Promise?"

"Yeah, Pinkie Promise," he said, sighing. "I sent your gift, you might receive it tonight, or maybe tomorrow."

"Thank you," I answered with a smile though there still was a lump in my throat. "I have to hang up, I still have many things to do."

It was wrong but I wanted to put an end to our torture. It was too much to bear, hearing him so helpless and knowing there was nothing I could do to comfort here because he was so far away from me.

"Alright. Take good care of you, kiddy. I'll call you back."

And he hung up. I was crushed. After that, he was going to tour again and another movie was planned for him to shoot. Just like Soarin, I couldn't help wondering why Filthy Rich wanted to separate us so much, despite what I said to him. Deep inside, I knew there was another reason than the official one. Frankly, I couldn't see how spending one night at my place for my birthday would have brought any risks of danger to his career. It made me so bitter.

So, I did it again. Throwing my phone. When I went out of the bathroom I was so furious I had to explain everyone why Soarin wouldn't be here tonight that I threw it all over the room. It hit the granite of my countertop and shattered all over the kitchen, under all my friends' stunned eyes. When the phone broke, they all stopped doing what they were doing and turned around as one. I could feel a vein thumping against my temps.

Not waiting for them to do that for me, I went to the kitchen and collected the broken pieces of my phone.

A whisk in her hands, Pinkie looked at me with her sad blue eyes.

"He won't come, right?"

"Yeah..." I answered, sniffing. "Filthy Rich added a day to his promotion tour, so... Here we go again..."

"Honey, I'm so sorry", Coloratura said with her arms opened.

But I stretched my own arm and put a hand between her and me. I didn't need to be comforted and I didn't need to be pitied. I was going to overcome the pain and anger on my own. I couldn't lean on the others like I were unable to deal with my own problems all alone. It wasn't me to exhibit weakness in front of the others. I had to be strong, that's the way it has always been.

==============================================***=========================================

During the party, I wasn't completely myself. I didn't play a role or acted like the girl who knew what to do and when to push her problems aside. I wasn't completely myself because there was always something in the back of my mind, something I hated, telling me it was my right to let go and wallow in pity. Deep inside, a part of me knew I was a bit depressed. The question was whether to let that part of me speak or to shut it away. I thought no one saw it yet that kept on coming back to me with waves, each time I was a little bit too happy. Still it felt like a facade, a wall risen so that the others wouldn't read through me. I wasn't sure whether that was a bad or a good thing. What I knew was that I have always been this way. Hiding.

Thanks to alcohol, though, by the end of the party, the questions weren't that important anymore. It would probably be back in the morning, but for now they left me alone.

Cheese Sandwich had drank a little too so it was decided that he didn't take his car to go back home but sleep on my couch. Well, he could have used the guest room but he liked to fall asleep with the sound of television and there was no TV in this room.

His career was a bit of a standstill too. He could only get little contracts in advertisements or supermarket sales demonstration but it seemed Filthy Rich wasn't much eager to find a cabaret where he could show the world his skills for stand-up comedy. This was certainly because he was my friend, like some kind of punishment for colluding with the enemy.

I was wobbling all over the place, trying to gather my many gifts and Cheese was looking at me, certainly to make sure no accident would happen. I liked the fact that he said nothing. He only stared, just in case, not overly protective but not couldn't-give-a-damn. I wasn't the kind who liked being protected, like I couldn't do anything on my own. Although, obviously, because of alcohol, an accident do occur when I slipped and fell flat, my gifts so hardly gathered spread all around me.

Surely this was a moment when someone normal would curse and try to get up quickly. Instead, I burst out laughing, in the same position, in too high spirits to even move.

Immediately, Cheese Sandwich got off the couch and ran to me, in order to help me getting up.

"Rainbow Dash! Are you alright? You fell hard!"

"Oh yeah, I'm super duper okay. As long as I don't break my wrist and can play cello, I'm awesome!" I said, with rests of laughter.

"Alright, if you say it so... I don't want to sound paternalistic or something like that... Not my kind... But maybe you drank a little too much."

"Maybe? That's a fact! But it was a good idea. Now the little voice in my head is gone," I concluded, tapping my temps with my forefinger.

I didn't know why I told him the truth though I didn't say a word about it to my closest friends. There was something about him which told me I could go on and do it. He hadn't pointlessly tried to comfort me or to pity me. Perhaps it was the source of my trust in him. Also, he was under contract with Filthy Rich and knew the man, so I said to myself he was the best fitted to understand.

Of course, there was Fire Streak too. But Fire Streak wasn't here. Cheese was.

"Do you want a useful advice? If you become a famous stand-up comedian and your fans are teenage girls... Don't fall in love. Especially not with a girl who's not famous."

He smiled at me and took me in his arms. It was the first time another man than Soarin took me in his arms. It felt strange. Despite it all, I held him in return, for a friendly hug. I think it was because Cheese Sandwich didn't say a word, didn't try utter comforting words nor to lecture me. His presence soothed the pain in my heart and prevented the voice from rising up again.

"I have an idea," he said, gently getting me out of his embrace. "This is what we're going to do... You take a bath and relax, while I make us tea. After that, you'll go down and we'll chat. You'll be able to tell me whatever you want to tell me, I promise I won't try to convince you of anything. Is it okay with you?"

"Sounds like a good idea," I said, nodding.

"Come on, I'll help you."

He smiled at me and gently took my arm so I would get on my feet, leaning upon him. Then he made sure I did it to the stairs and started to gather the gifts again. Silently, I went up to my bathroom for a well-deserved bath.

The girl who would get this boy would be a lucky one, for sure.

Just like expected, I relaxed in my bath, trying to think things through in the most positive angle possible. It had always worked until then so why couldn't it keep on working? I was sad I couldn't see Soarin but there was nothing I could do. I kept thinking if I was patient and collected, one day Filthy Rich would stop playing with my nerves. I needed to think that, although it sounded a little naive.

Gosh, I miss Soarin! I thought as I put my head under the soapy water. I missed him but I also knew that Soarin wouldn't like to see me giving up on us. There was nothing else to do than hoping, anyway.

I shook myself up and went out of the bath. Cheese Sandwich was waiting for me. Dressed in my favorite pajamas with ugg-like slippers, I went down and met him downstairs where he arranged himsef a small bad with the blankets under my couch. He was sitting, watching TV when I approached him with a smile.

"Feeling better?" he asked, returning my smile.

"Much better. I sobered up," I answered with a soft chuckle.

"Don't worry. I'm a little drunk myself too. It was your birthday, you had to celebrate it, after all."

"I'm not sure getting plastered is the best way to celebrate your birthday!"

This time, I laughed frankly as I sat by his side. He quickly got back to the kitchen, grabbed my kettle and poured us some tea. When I grabbed my cup, I smelled it and immediately recognized the spicy perfume of chaï. My favorite. Good catch!

"I was wondering..." Cheese Sandwich said. "It really intrigues me..."

"Yep, what?" I asked, blowing on my tea.

"How come a girl like you ends up playing classic music? Especially cello..."

As strange at it seemed, this was the first time someone asked me this question. Not even Soarin did, since I told him straight away the first time I played cello for him.

"Oh, that's easy! My father hated that I was only attracted by "dangerous" sports and he wanted me to do something that didn't include bumps on the head or grazes on the arms. He insisted that I played an instrument. So, my mother showed me a concert of a cello player. I was really impressed but it seemed to me I would never be able to play such a huge instrument. It wasn't until I saw the movie "Love in the Afternoon", with Audrey Hepburn that I settled for cello for good. Of course, later, I've learned guitar as well but... This is how it really happened."

Everything becomes cool when it's played by Audrey Hepburn. Don't you know that?

"When I heard about the CAM, I begged my father to send me in Canterlot. It was hard, but I convinced him with a promise. And here I am now."

"Wow. I've always lived in Canterlot. I can't imagine what it's like to leave your hometown, your childhood house, your friends."

"I had no friends. Everybody hated me."

A silence fell upon our shoulders. Suddenly, I feared I went a little too far in the confessions. No wonder the atmosphere felt awkward all at once. Quick! I had to find another topic.... But finally, he was the one talking first.

"You know... Earlier you told me not to fall in love. The thing is... There's a girl I like."

"Really?"

I was surprised. Though, after reflections, I had never been really good at detecting sentimental feelings of the others. With the exception of Sandalwood and Rarity but those two were too obvious.

"Do I know her?"

"Oh yeah, you do. You know her very well."

Oh boy, please tell me it didn't mean myself! My heart is overcrowded with Soarin. I really liked Cheese Sandwich as a good friend but nothing else.

"She's one of your friends," he finally admitted, blushing like a red rose.

I never thought he could be so shy when it came to girls. Most of the time, he was some kind of wild animal, always joking and wanting to have fun, full of energy and vitality, the kind who clearly led a party. Wait, one of my friends? Who could that be?

"Is it Coloratura? All the guys are head over heels for her but don't do that. She's already Fire Streak's sex friend and she dumps boys like they were smelly old socks once she had sex with them. Except Fire Streak, of course but he's engaged with another girl, it doesn't count."

"Oh no, it's not Coloratura. She's really sexy but sexy isn't much my style."

"It's Rarity, then? I know she's beautiful and refined and all that. If she wasn't in love with Sandalwood already, I'd tell you to take your chance on her right now but..."

"Neither it is Rarity."

So I tried the name of each of my girl friends. Fluttershy? No. She's with Big Mac, anyway. Daring Doo? Come on, she's almost married. Don't tell me this is Bon Bon... Lyra, then... Each time, it was a no. There only remained one and I was so stunned.

"Holy cow! Pinkie! You have a crush on Pinkie Pie!!"

Maybe it sounded strange that I hadn't thought of her earlier. Cheese Sandwich and her had so much in common. Curly hair, a like for party, for fun and laughter, strange music and movies so bad they are good. Cakes. Yet, after Thunderlane's comment about her, I came to think it was what all boys thought about her too. This was why I tried each name before I got to hers.

Cheese Sandwich, still blushing, nodded. He really liked Pinkie Pie. And I liked this idea.

"You know, usually guys don't have a crush on her. They think she's too outlandish, too loud, that they liked girls that are softer."

"Hey, you know what they say? If you want softness, get yourself a ferret! I like outlandish girls. They're more fun."

"It's official," I said staring at him. "I'm your number one fan."

We burst out laughing. I was glad he had stayed here for the night. It was easier to stay strong when you had someone who you could laugh and chat with. Cheese Sandwich was good people and I really hoped he would be able to confess to Pinkie Pie. She couldn't find a more perfect match!

I also hoped that if he ever became famous and still was under contract with Filthy Rich, they both wouldn't have to go through what I was going through. Meanwhile... I was happy I had found a solid ally in the person of Cheese Sandwich, someone more serious than Fire Streak was at the time. Yet he would have been a good adviser if he didn't have a long porn movie where the others have a brain.