• Published 20th Sep 2018
  • 2,907 Views, 149 Comments

A Story of Love (Among Others) - TheMareWhoSaysNi



Rainbow Dash, a future rockstar, has met a boy! She didn't look for it, but love knocked on her door (literally). The beginning of a lovely story? Or rather, of a nightmare?

  • ...
7
 149
 2,907

Please, Don't Eat the Daisies

Friday. In three hours, we were going to take a train to Fillydelphia. Soarin wasn't here and I had no news yet, neither. Oddly, I was rather cool and collected though I'd spent most of my day on my balcony, leaning against the railing, spying the least passersby. In vain. I knew he had my address, I sent him with my new phone and my new number. But maybe we were going to meet him at the station. Please, let him be at the station.

================================================***=======================================

Unfortunately, though I'd been waiting up to the last moment, we had to leave. In order not to renew the horror of Fire Streak's wedding bridesmaid gowns, the girls and I decided to buy our dress ourselves, right before going to the station, in a boutique of Silk Street. Not to be disturbed by our suitcases, we had gone by the station first, where we left it in luggage lockers so we'd be able to get them back once we'd leave. I know, it was a strange organization. We would really need someone who's good at it, to help us all. Don't you think so?

Rarity, Pinkie and Fluttershy were with me, but also Big Mac, Coloratura and Cheese Sandwich. He was very happy he'd been invited to this wedding though not because it was going to be a chance for him to meet producers and important show business persons, but especially because he hoped he was going to make Pinkie Pie his girlfriend for real.

Fire Streak would meet us directly in Fillydelphia, alone. Fleur de Lis was having a photo shoot in Hawaii and so would only be able to make it for the party, not the ceremony. I wondered what would happen with Fleur de Lis absent and Fire Streak and Coloratura left to their own devices.

During our stroll to Silk Street, right after we got out of the subway, Cheese Sandwich and Pinkie Pie started to walk a bit behind us. I didn't dare turning around to look at them but I was craving to know what was going on.

When we arriveed at the boutique, a pretty salesgirl welcomed us warmly. We greeted her too before everybody ran through the sections, looking for the perfect dress. What I was looking for was a dress with pastel tones, but not pink (yuk!), something not too frilly or uptight.

And there she appeared in front of me, like a vision straight out of a dream. And I usually didn't even like fancy dresses! They're scratchy, they're uncomfortable, they can't be worn with sneakers, they're expensive. But this one... This one I fell in love with from the moment I saw it. It was red, it was lacy, it was from Elie Saab. It was a discount. It had hundreds of red pearls embroided on the sleeves, top and highest part of the skirt, a very thin belt around the waist and it wasn't so long I would step on it or so short you wonder whether that's a dress or a panty. It was perfect for me.

Now, did it fit me? I hope it fit me. It'd better fit me!!!

I grabbed the hanger and put the dress in front of me, looking in a full-length mirror close to the shelf. I was lost in contemplation. This baby was made for me, I wanted it like I never wanted a dress before. If there was a god...

"This one will look pretty one you. Goes well with your eyes."

The male voice that had spoken behind me made me jolt. I needed a few more seconds to come back to my senses... And I was wondering why the store had turned so silent all of a sudden, when one minute ago, I could hear my friends chirpping like they were birds in a cage.

I turned around, eyes wide opened. I hadn't dreamed. That was the right voice.

Soarin was here, right in front of me. He was smiling at me. He made it. He actually made it! Could I be dreaming?

Pinkie came behind me, grabbed my hanger on the way then got away. And I stood here like a fool, staring at him and blinking, before I finally dared stretching out my hand.

My palm stopped against his cheek. He was here. If I could touch him it either meant that he was here for real or that I'd turned definitely nuts and was having serious hallucinations. Immediately, he took my wrist and led me in his arms. Okay, I was maybe not hallucinating. Or was I?

"Soarin?"

"No, it's the Queen Mother... I promised I'd be there, didn't I?"

"You goofball!"

Upon these words, I gave him the one slap he truly deserved, while still in his arms.

===============================================***=======================================

So we went to the station after the less romantic reunion of the universe and now we were in the train to Fillydelphia. I was sitting next to the window, admiring the landscape I already knew and of course, Soarin sat beside me. In front of us, there was Cheese Sandwich and Pinkie, who was snoring louder than a plane taking off - Fire Streak's snore were sweet in comparison - her head stuck to the glass and sending puffs of air against it as she was breathing. Big Mac and Fluttershy were on the seats behind us, with Coloratura and Rarity in front of them.

Coloratura was on the phone with her brand new manager. Though she was unofficially back with Fire Streak as his official number one mistress, a few weeks ago, she dated a rather famous solo singer. Some internet sites had started to talk about her and very quickly, her videos had turned viral on Youtube. So now her record company had changed their strategy and decided to invest in a plan to make her an enormous superstar, possibly more famous than Sapphire Shores if such thing is possible. It had taken some time but her dream was finally about to come true.

However, I was upset by something. Rarity was looking very sad. Actually, we all thought she was hoping to see Sandalwood appear too but Soarin was the only one in the boutique and at the station.

His eyes were closed, his head leaning against his arms on the tablet in front of him. I gently shook him and he looked up.

"What?" He asked with a smile.

It had been something like an hour now yet it still felt strange to know he was here with me. I kept on feeling like I weren't completely awake.

"Do you think Sandalwood will make it too? Rarity probably wanted to see him."

"Well," he said, tiredly stretching his body. " Sandalwood had to meet his family first then try to find a way to have his name on the guest list. So, maybe he'll be there when we'll arrive."

"I hope he'll make it." I paused. "That's a sentence I've said too many times..."

My eyes wandered back to the window where I was staring at hills and acres and acres of corn and wheat and apples, when Soarin grabbed my hand.

"Don't worry. You won't say that again anytime soon. I've fixed everything."

"What do you mean?" I asked, frowning.

"When I went to see Mr. Filthy Rich in order to ask him whether I could come to the wedding, I had some other things to tell him. It's taken all my courage but I eventually made it."

"Please, tell me all about it!"

"Well, I haven't only taken an authorization to come to the wedding and to be on holidays. I made sure that from now on, you and me could become... official, like they say. As soon as you're ready for this, of course."

"WHAT?!!!"

I screamed so loud the whole train turned around to look at us. I wasn't expecting that at all. I was so happy I was with Soarin, I hadn't even thought about the future, wanting to make the most of the present moment.

At the sound of my screaming, Pinkie Pie woke up, suddenly no longer snoring. Her eyes half-opened, she got her head straight and yelled "please, save the cupcakes!" before falling back asleep, her head now against Cheese Sandwich's shoulder, her snores louder than ever. Fine, now everybody on that train thought we were crazy... which wasn't much different of what people usually thought of us when we were all out. Of course, all this made us burst out laughing and gathered even more intentions. The eyes of the oldest persons around were piercing... Gosh, they hated us! Did we care? Not in the least, as always.

I waited for things to calm down a little before I resumed my conversation with Soarin back to where I interrupted it.

"How did you do such a thing?"

"I told you, it asked a lot of courage. He's smart and he's tried to make me hesitate and to puzzle me, as always but this time, I've stand up to him. The thing is, I had good arguments."

"Do you want to kill me? Tell them already!"

I never said I was the patient type. Among all my other flaws. But I had good reasons to be so impatient, after all. This was completely my own business.

"Some things will never change. Okay, I don't want them to change, I confess," he chuckled. "So... Where was I?"

"Very good arguments. Hurry up!"

"In fact... My contract with him was a three year contract. So it was reaching its end. Mr. Filthy Rich and I already had arguments about the project I have in sight now that "The Greatest Show Off" is said and done. I've been proposed to act in a new TV show, for Netflix, but he didn't want me to do it. So, I played his games with my own weapon. I told him that either he let me date you officially and stop his silly games either I wouldn't sign another contract with him and would go to shoot the TV show. In the end, he agreed to let us date officially AND to let me shoot the TV show. Maybe I would have been awesome too as a lawyer..."

"You really would have done this? Or were you calling his bluff?"

"Of course, I would really have done this! It's not only about you and me but also about my interest. Anyway, he tried to make me yield by saying stuff like "what do you find in that girl? She's short and flat-breasted..." or "you deserve so much more", "would you be ready to ruin your career for some random girl?". If he haven't been my boss, I would have punched his face! Maybe I should have anyway, don't you think?"

"Mah, I'll do that for you, if you want."

Would really make me feel so much better! Next time I'll go kick boxing, I'll stick Filthy Rich's picture on the bag. What a bastard! This "random girl" thing was like our concert being "nickel-and-dime", very hard to swallow. Did he think he was a superhero or something? Like, when we go to the toilets, there's a rainbow in the hole? Or maybe, he's bleeding gold.

"You'd better have defended me if you don't want to be the first one to be punched, by the way..."

"Hey, don't you think that slap you gave me was enough? Though I surely deserved it, indeed." He sighed, than spoke again. "Of course, I've defended you. I told him you weren't some "random girl" but the girl I loved and that I intended to be that way for a very, very long time. Especially as I almost lost you."

"Sorry about that," I said, still ashamed of that dreadful night, not so long ago yet so foreign.

"Stop apologizing. I told you I wasn't mad at you for that. Once again, I surely deserved it. Well, the fact remained that I don't know why but after our arguments, he looked rather... satisfied. As if he's been waiting for this for ages. He told me he agreed with everything, even the TV show. And here we are now."

"Yeah, here we are", I answered, our fingers intertwining.

It felt almost too good to be true, after all these years of hard luck. I was happy though still a little... I didn't even really know. Strange? Skeptical?

"Em... I'm sorry to meddle with your conversation," Cheese Sandwich said, leaning over to whisper. "I wanted to know something."

"Yeah, what's wrong?" I gently asked.

"Well... Do you think Mr. Filthy Rich would do that to someon else? I mean..."

He took a glance at Pinkie, sleeping against his shoulders and I immediately understood everything, without any additional information. If they started dating for real and as his career was slowly taking off, he was wondering whether my best friend would have to go through such a hell as well. Unfortunately, I didn't have the answer to this question.

"I can't tell," Soarin replied with a deep sigh. "I think it depends on many things. Look how the fact there's something going on between Rarity and Sandalwood doesn't matter much to him, despite what the circumstances seem to indicate. So, I'm not too sure."

I glanced back at Rarity, all sad again. Maybe I should try to make things better for her, like calling Daring Doo and making sure Sandalwood would be on the guest list. It was the least I could do. Just because I was out of the sh*t I'd been through didn't mean I had to act selfishly and let down my friends, especially those who supported and helped me all this time. I'd even say that it was my duty, now that everything was back in order, to help my friends in return.

==================================================***=====================================

In the train, I took the excuse of a urge to pee and I phoned to Darind Do in order to ask whether it was possible to add Sandalwood to the guest list. After that, we finished our journey with no particular events happening.

We were now at the hotel where we were going to be for two entire days of party. It wasn't a small country inn, nor even some big inn for that matter but a big and wide luxury hotel where the wedding guests were the only guests. Believe it or not, it was the first time of my life that I was going to sleep in such a place. It went the same for everyone except Rarity because she's very rich and Soarin, of course (as if this movie superstar would tour sleeping in miserable shacks) and of course, Fire Streak too.

This was how the rooms were divided: Coloratura, Pinkie, Rarity and Cheese Sandwich had a single bedroom (still, a single bedroom in a luxury complex is far superior than the best room of a third-star something), then Big Mac and Fluttershy together, and of course, Soarin and I as well, in couple suits. I didn't know yet what it was going to be for Sandalwood if he eventually made it but I wassure Rarity would be more than willing to lend him a couch. Or her blanket.

We were at the fourth floor and there was a bellboy carrying our suitcases and another bellboy pushing the buttons of the elevator for us, just like in "Pretty Woman" except no one here was a prostitute, or even have 115 cm high legs.

Now this was how these two days were going to be planned. First, tonight, there would be a cocktail at the reception room, followed by a dinner then before bachelor and bachelorette parties. From now on, except in the bedrooms, couples were going to be seperated until the ceremony, in order to respect the fact the groom to be was forbidden to see his bride as well (could she wait more than one year with an agent playing with her nerves? I'd like to see that!). The ceremony would happen in the hotel's gardens and last but not least, there was going to be the moment we were all waiting for the most, especially Pinkie who was bouncing like a grasshopper, which was the party, of course.

Bellboy with the luggage showed us how to open the door on our own and when he did, I just couldn't believe my eyes. Sappy ninnies daydreaming about stupid Anastasia Steele and her stupid psychopath would kill their own family just to be allowed to sleep in such a place!

The hotel staff had arranged everything according to everyone's tastes, in a perfect mix or tradition and modernity and splendor. There were lys bunches, small boxes of chocolates on a coffee table, silky velvet couches and moldings on the ceiling. My eyes wandered until they set on the huge bed with a beautiful mellow white blanket and lovely yet sober cushions. I already couldn't wait to sleep in this. I guess Jimmy Stewart was right (did I tell you how much I love James Stewart?) - Life is WONDERFUL!

I waited for Bellboy with the luggage to put it in front of the dressing room. Once he was gone, I dashed towards the bed in order to do what was on my mind since I saw it, which was... jumping on it! Just like expected, it was mellow as I like and I could bounce on it easier than Pinkie on a trampoline. While I was having fun, Soarin had started to look all over the place. There was a fridge in a corner of the immense room and there was a whole set of alcohol sample bottles.

"It's. So. AWESOME!" I claimed while letting myself fall back on the bed, before I spread myself out. "I really like having famous friends!"

"Have you noticed you're also famous, now?" he answered, his head stuck in a closet.

"Oh yeah, it's true!"

I burst out laughing. Actually, I wasn't as famous as my other friends, or even himself but some people do recognize me and the girls too when we walk down the street. It was hard to realize because we were still able to live a normal life, though. Conversely to Soarin. When we got off the train, we noticed teenage girls staring at us and taking pictures. They didn't bother us at all yet there was no doubt said pictures must already be all over the internet now. And the most incredible was that we didn't care at all. Let the whole world know, there's nothing to fear anymore.

"Can you believe it? There's a whole set for soup and dinner in the room itself. All silver. I've never seen something like that before."

"Oh, let me see!"

I got off the bed in a hurry and ran to stick my head inside the closet as well.

"Sweet! That whole thing is more expensive than my whole dressing room."

"With all your pairs of sneakers, really?"

"Ding dong, Captain Obvious, this is silver!"

Suddenly, I had an epiphany. There was one very important room I completely forgot to take a look at. I got up and ran to the bathroom. And I swore that as I opened the door, my knees felt so weak I almost could have fall on my back. It was larger than my own bedroom, with the most incredible bath I'd ever seen, and a jacuzzi. Where was my swimsuit? Please, Rainbow Dash, you've brought a swimsuit, did you? Even if I hadn't... I was ready to go in there naked if that was what it took.

When I was back to the suite, I found Soarin in front of the dressing room, busy unpacking. I decided that would be a good idea to help, though there was certainly a bellboy for that chore too, and I crouched by his side.

"You have to see the bathroom. It's huger than a nightclub, and there's a jacuzzi. This is the most awesome place I've ever seen, or been to. I've looked in the closest, there are shampoos, shower gel, bath salts and all kind of stuff like that. Everything is from Shiseido. Do you know how expensive it is? Oh, but don't think I'm the superficial kind. I don't really care about luxury. Usually."

"Dashie... You know... I know you."

"Are you sure?" I asked, sticking my tongue out at him.

Quite unexpectedly, Soarin moved closer and kissed me. One of his hand was on the floor and the other was pressed against my cheek. I was a bit surprised but quickly, I gave in and let myself go to the feeling. As strangely as it sounds, we hadn't kissed at all since our reunion in the Silk Street's boutique. This felt awkward yet good. I forgot how good it could be.

I wrapped my arms around his neck and brought him even closer. Thus, my whole balance now relied completely on his. I was hanging on to him as much as I could, as if there was nothing but emptiness below our bodies. This was the moment where I fully realized that this was all real. I wasn't dreaming...

What came around went around and after a while, we wobbled and Soarin fell on his back, his head inside my suitcase, a paire of socks against his forehead.

I burst out laughing and removed the socks hurriedly and we kissed again. We had a hell of time to make up for... So, our kiss quickly went from slow and languid to wild and deep and his hands dangerously went up under my blouse.

Until something vibrated inside the pocket of my jeans. My brand new phone, the very best in matter of smartphones that I hopefully wouldn't break the way I broke all the others. Cutting off our intimate moment, I sat up and answered. While I was actually sitting on Soarin's hips, he grabbed mine in a very strange manner.

"Hello? Yes, Pinkie? What, already? Well... No, no, we were... busy unpacking. We'll be here in about ten minutes. Or fifteen. Right, see ya."

I hung up, put my phone back where it belonged and spoke to Soarin.

"They're waiting for us. The cocktail will start in less than thirty minutes and we're the only ones missing. Are fifteen minutes enough to get prepared?"

"Yes... Dashie. Please, get off me now."

"Hey!" I said, punching his shoulders. "Who do you think you're speaking to?"

"To my girlfriend whose bottom is pressing against my bladder, actually."

"Oh. Right."

As soon as I was up on my feet, Soarin got up as well and ran to the bathroom, that he locked behind him. Obviously, I burst out laughing.

Author's Note:

Well... That's it. Only three chapters are left now. (more like two and a half, actually)