• Published 20th Sep 2018
  • 2,907 Views, 149 Comments

A Story of Love (Among Others) - TheMareWhoSaysNi



Rainbow Dash, a future rockstar, has met a boy! She didn't look for it, but love knocked on her door (literally). The beginning of a lovely story? Or rather, of a nightmare?

  • ...
7
 149
 2,907

Pocketful of Miracles

The ceremony was great. It sounded weird coming from me, I know. Yet, there was no other words to describe it. Oh, it wasn't because of the little girls throwing petals of roses along the aisle, it wasn't because Daring Doo's husband had wet eyes when he discovered her wearing her wedding dress, or because their vows quoted Shakespeare and Keats, not even because Rarity cried more than the groom and the brides themselves. No. There was a special guest singing while Daring Doo went up the aisle. Songbird Serenade in person.

Instead of a dinner, which would have been too long and boring, Daring Doo had chosen a buffet. As for the music, she had hired DJ Pon-3, who was Equestria's number one of her kind. Yes, this party was even better than the one for Fire Streak and Fleur de Lis' wedding. I guess that was why she was sulking in a corner.

Pinkie Pie and I were obviously racketting the infamous buffet. There were very tasty vegetable napoleons with a lemon mousse and curry-flavored salted shortbreads, and peach, carots and pepper gazpachos, Parmesan cheese polentas... Their candied tomatoes with basil and tapenade crostinis weren't bad neither, and let's not forget about the crusty brik pastry sheet stuffed with French cheese and fresh apples. Wedding food was definitely the best food, and I didn't regret I came here if only for the food.

Fire Streak was dancing with a decidedly not smiling Fleur de Lis, while Fluttershy and Big Mac were billing and cooing on the floor, Rarity was talking in a corner with Sandalwood who was staring hungrily at her while Coloratura was surrounded by a whole court of suitors arguing for her attention. Soarin was on the phone with his little sister, who had read about us on internet.

In her gorgeous wedding dress, Daring Doo came to me and took me in her arms, much to my surprise.

"Dash... I'm so glad you could make it. I'm so happy to see you so radiant. You look amazing."

"As always, you mean? But well, tonight this isn't about me. It's all about you. The most daring explorer and novelist to ever get married. Congratulations."

"Thanks. I can't wait to get back to work, though. Those dresses are as uncomfortable as they are pretty. By the way, why Fleur de Lis look so upset?"

"Because this party's a millon times better than hers!" Pinkie happily claimed, her mouth full of crostinis.

Daring Doo burst out laughing, before she told us, like it was some sort of confession.

"I thought maybe her dress was too tight and she couldn't breath or something of the kind."

"Oh, like Elizabeth Swan? I like that. Well, I don't like the movie but I like Elizabeth Swan. Okay, I shut up," I said, turning back to the buffet table.

"I think it's because Coloratura's here too and Fire Streak can't help staring at her."

"Yeah, in this respect, Pinkamena... There's a young man over here who would like to have a nice chat with you."

She swallowed one more crostini and looked around the dancefloor. The young man in question was Cheese Sandwich, of course. He was nervously fixing his crooked necktie. When Pinkie came to him with a smile after she wiped her mouth, he smiled back at her, a bit sheepishly.

Guess what happened after. Second-in-command tattletales gave her a taste of her own medicine. Immediately, Fluttershy and Big Mac were dancing in circles around that area, Rarity and Sandalwood had decided to go on the floor as well and even Daring Doo and her husband themselves were swirling closer to them.

I grabbed Soarin as soon as he stopped by my side and there we went too. Much to my surprise, Coloratura was also curious about what was going to happen since one of her suitor and herself were also dancing now. Fire Streak was the only one away, surely because Fleur de Lis didn't want him to be anywhere near his mistress.

Despite the music and the swinging, I was able to get their conversation which didn't seem to be that easy for everyone else involved.

"So, what do you want to talk about? I'm all ears."

"Well, I'd like to say it but... Could you ask your friends to be a little less easy to spot when they're spying on our conversation?"

Pinkie giggled out loud, before she added.

"They're not listening. I really don't know what you're talking about."

"Tell me about it."

She knew very well we were all on the look-out but she probably also thought it was only fair. The boot was on the other foot now, in a way.

"Well, actually, I was thinking... Maybe we could have even more fun by being serious together. See what I mean?"

Pinkie Pie opened her mouth but that was another female voice which rose from among the crowd.

"But is he doing on his knees?!"

Sheepishly, Cheese Sandwich looked at his feet in order to check out that he wasn't on his knees but standing on his two feet. Pinkie then put a finger under his chin so he would turn his face and have a glimpse of the person in question, who happened to be Big Mac, kneeling in front of Fluttershy, obviously no longer dancing. Silence had suddenly fallen all over the ballroom and even the music had stopped. Fluttershy was red hot from embarrassment but her boyfriend looked calm and collected, although slightly blushing too.

"Ah know we're both very young and it's a bit scary but Ah love ya and Am sure we're meant from each other and Ah wanna spend the rest of mah life with ya. So..." he cleared his throat, then went on. "Fluttershy Anne, would you marry me?"

In shock, Rarity, Pinkie and Coloratura all cried a chorus of "Oh my!", which of course made us being noticed by everyone else. Fluttershy, though, stood still, redder than a red carpet, tears flowing over her cheeks. I bet all the guys around expect those who were already in love were now dreaming to be in Big Mac's shoes. She was the dream fantasy of all those who thought that softness and gentleness equaled perfect femininity.

A few seconds went by where everybody was holding their breath before Fluttershy eventually smiled softly.

"Yes," she murmured, her voice shaking of emotions.

Big Mac got back on his feet, took her in his arms and everyone applauded when they exchanged a sweet kiss. I could see Fleur de Lis glaring at Coloratura who was clapping her hands enthusiastically. Okay, this was getting more and more uncomfortable. And I wondered why did everyone around me seemed to want to get married? Was it because of the dress, of the attention? I just didn't get it. To me, weddings are dull (except this one, maybe, for the reasons already metionned) and the epitome of boring sap. I hate every movie that exists and is about someone getting married or dreaming to get married, except "The Philadephia Story" and "I Was a Male War Bride" but they're screwball comedies, not rom-com so I guess it doesn't count.

Also, this meant I was going to be obliged to attend another wedding and I wasgoing to be frustrated and angry because I would be the only one without plus one, even though I had a boyfriend and... Wait a minute!

I took one glance at Soarin who was still clapping his hands and I realized something. I wouldn't be angry and frustrated! This was over. Finished, finito, terminé, the end, hasta la vista baby. Seemed like I could't believe it for real yet.

As Big Mac was putting a ring on Fluttershy's fingers (guess he really liked it), Pinkie got on her tiptoes and quickly pecked Cheese Sandwich's lips. He stopped moving, as if he had just stared right into the eyes of Medusa.

"You know what? Let's do this! Not marriage, I mean... Dating. Real dating, with cakes and flowers and arguments and makeups. The whole complete stuff for fools and, how is it already? Sappy dumb ninnies!"

Quickly, his stupid stupefied face gave way to an adorable smile and he took her in his arms for a little hug so sweet my teeth hurt and my stomach ached.

Music was on again and Soarin and I were dancing again too, this time not spying any conversation whatsoever. I was ready to party until the break of dawn, until my head dropped and my feet were dead. And happy Hunger Games!

Author's Note:

Yes, it's short, but it's the penultimate chapter (or something like that), so...

Oh, and yes, Sandalwood could make it, obviously