• Published 20th Sep 2018
  • 2,904 Views, 149 Comments

A Story of Love (Among Others) - TheMareWhoSaysNi



Rainbow Dash, a future rockstar, has met a boy! She didn't look for it, but love knocked on her door (literally). The beginning of a lovely story? Or rather, of a nightmare?

  • ...
7
 149
 2,904

No Name on the Bullet

Do you know this turn of phrase: "to suffer a succesion of disappointement"? Oh, you don't? Well, time to learn, dude!

Last time I had seen Soarin was three months ago. He sent me a phone number that happened to be the epitom of a joke, like a professional spit on the face. Since he never answered on his personal phone, which calls and messages were controlled by his agent, he thought maybe we could communicate via Filthy Rich's office. The man was rarely there, so it could have worked. But it didn't, it didn't at all. Soarin warned the various secretaries that each time Rainbow Dash would call that number, they had to transfer it directly on his professional phone. But the thing is that very shortly after, Filthy Rich directly asked his secrataries not to take any call from me! Why? That number had to be used for professional purposes only. So, how did Soarin and I communicate? We sent each other letters, like in the Middle Age (but with a slightly best postal service). My boyfriend being more away than at home, even that was more difficult that if he had been fighting in Irak! And us Equestrian don't even fight in Irak (or anywhere else in the world, for that matter).

In fact, everything was even worse than before we saw each other a few weeks ago. Naturally, I was frustrated again but I champed at the bit for a reason. Heart & Hooves Day was approaching and I had hoped things could go my way this time. To make sure I could at least give him some chocolate and we could go and watch a movie together (we already have done that before, all it took was to get inside the theater during the trailers and leave before the light went on again, the rest worked thanks to darkness and the magic of cinema), I politely asked Filthy Rich, by letting a message to a lenient secretary. He answered me quickly by a "I'll get back to you soon" and he hadn't got back to me yet at all.

Pinkie Pie and I were trying to find a theme for the Hearts & Hooves party of the night after. It might seem strange that we hadn't found anything yet but the truth that, we had so many ideas per second, espcially Pinkie, that it had turned very diffictul to choose only one that would really speak to us and be appealing for the others. We really, really, and I mean REALLY wanted to win this year's competition. Thanks to that swarming of reflections, I was focused enough not to want to punch everyone I met in the nose.

We were still trying to find the perfect theme, on our way to traditional class, when my phone vibrated. As I looked at the screen, I realized I had just received a message from a number I had never seen of my life. Of course, I hesitated before I read it, since I didn't want to be tricked by a scam, but Pinkie assured me there was no risk as long as I didn't click on a link to internet or anything of the type. When I pressed the button with the envelop, the first thing I noticed was that it was signed by Mr. Filthy Rich in person. If you think this could be good news then you obviously don't understand the man.

Here was the content of that lovely, wonderful, amazing fcking message:

"We're sorry, we cannot consent to your request. Don't answer to this message."

My name wasn't mentioned, nor anything personal whatsoever. Actually, I'm pretty sure that was a message from a bot, the type of thing that was sent automatically to no one in particular.

Everything inside and outside of me clenched. All my good resolutions about how it was pointless to be angry or aggressive vanished away and I swear I wanted to run to Filthy Rich's office and to hang him by the feet from the roof of a skyscraper. This was what I was worth for that man, after all the patience I had shown - nothing at all. Even the most hysterical of crazy fans weren't treated that way. Don't think it's impossible to hate someone with all your heart if you have seen this person only twice in your life and very briefly because I can assure you it is not.

"Uh uh," said Pinkie, staring at me. "I guess Hearts & Hooves Day with Soarin won't be for this year. Again."

I was so mad I couldn't move, my hands compressing my smartphone so strongly I thought it would break. Seeing me so tensed, and because she knew the best with me was to make me think of anything else, my best friend pulled the sleeve of my sweater and forced me to resume walking.

"Come on... Let's not be late. You know how Vice-Principale Luna hates that."

But I couldn't hold myself back anymore. I had to spit out everything that was weighing on my heart.

"Don't you realize, Pinkie? I feel like I were... No one. Just a parasite or some pain in the a**!"

"Hey, maybe you're being a little too much here," Pinkie said, opening the lid of her soda can. "It's not like you were guys were married or anything!"

I had told Pinkie nothing about what happened between Soarin and me last time we saw each other. I had told no one, actually. It wasn't something to be shouted from the rooftops. Except I was angry and blinded by all these contextual elements that most of these details didn't really count...

"Maybe not, but..."

I stopped her by pulling the sleeve of her hot pink sweater and brought her close enough so she would be the only one to hear. Pinkie was sipping her juice in small gulps.

"I've slept with Soarin!"

Only once I said it I realized what I said. But not only this... That was by saying the words that I realized what it meant to be and what it implied. Something of who I was now was a part of history. My teenage years were effectively over and I had entered straight into the world of adults and the responsibilities of adults.

When she heard me, Pinkie Pie turned around and spat out her soda on the floor. Unfortunately, a girl was passing us by and she smirked in disgust. Crazy to see there still were persons who weren't used to my friends' various eccentricities... We were really famous in the school for that and many other things! Maybe she was in the first year... Each time, I couldn't help thinking about what the CAM would look like without my wild bunch. Surely everything would be much quieter but also much duller, I was convinced of that. The truth was that, though embarrassing, everybody liked this about us and thought they were going to miss us once we would be gone.

Pinkie grabbed my shoulders, looked straight into my eyes. To be honest, I was expecting her to yell at me because I kept such an enormous secret from her, when she told me absolutely everything about her love and sexual life (yes, in details...).

"You're pregnant, is that so?"

I won't lie, I was in shock. Why was that her first reaction to this kind of revelation? Why on earth did she think I was the kind to take irresponsible decisions? Especially as, as you may not know, my father is a gynecologist! Which explained why he was so puzzled about the fact he remarried to a woman with four girls. But that was another topic.

"Are you nut or completely insane? I'm under pill since the age of twelve! And we used condoms. I'm not stupid. May I recall you that my father is Bow fcking Hothoof?"

Strangely, Pinkie looked disappointed by my answer. But she quickly got together and got to the real thing. I haven't told her anything.

"You're only telling me now, after all I shared with you. I feel so betrayed I think I'm going to cry!"

She was about to act like a Drama Queen, surely under the not-so-good influence of our dear Rarity but before she could even start her act, Vice-Principale Luna's voice resounded through the corridors, asking us to come on to the amphitheater number sixteen immediately or we would be forbidden to organize any party for tomorrow night.

When we arrived, the amphitheater was crowded and we both had difficulty finding a seat that was not at the complete back, or worst, on the floor. As we got our way through the rows of seats to find Rarity, Fluttershy and Big Mac, who gently had kept free spaces for us, it was clear to see that everyone around was bothered by our latedness, especially Vice-Principale Luna, tapping her feet on the floor of her days, waiting for us to finally sit down.

To be honest, I was still mad about the message on my phone. I couldn't get the words out of my mind. The only thing that kept me from blowing a fuse for real was that I had other things to focus on right now. Things that were more important than Hearts & Hooves Day, because they implied my future.

"Fine," Vice-Principale Luna said, with her somber and loud voice. "Before classes start, we're going to tell you what will be this year's prize for our Hearts & Hooves Party contest. It's going to be a trip."

Suddenly, the amphitheater heated up and conversation spurted in every way. Myself, I instantly stopped thinking about that awful message. This was too exciting to care about such trivialities.

One of the boys in the back rows said something, surely proud of his "wit".

"Please don't tell us we're going to go to Fillydelphia. There would be what? Half on hour by train? This isn't worth the pain!"

I wasn't sure it was a journey of half an hour by train but indeed, going from Canterlot to Fillydelphia, on the West Coast of Equestria, it was rather quick.

"Who do you think we are? Come on!" Vice-Principale Luna stated, hands on her hips behind her mic.

"Oh, Hawaii!" yelled a girl in the front.

"You won't get lazy on a beach, no, if that's what you think. We want you to learn more about music. It sounds legit."

An illumination stroke me and I sat up, like I were sitting on a string.

"Is it Paris?" I asked, with stars in my eyes.

When I was a little girl, Mom showed me a concert that had been recorded in France, where an artist played Epiphanie, a cello play by Maurice Maréchal. That's how I fell in love with music and with that strange cumbersome instrument that was cello and decided to play it. Ever since, I also started to develop a passion for everything related to France. Of course, I was rather bad in French but I was trying to learn and I liked the cooking and the national classical music scene. And in case you wonder how someone like me could be liking something as uncool as classic music (or movies, for that matter), I'll tell you that what makes something cool is how you do it and who does it.

"Well, yeah... Rainbow Dash is right! It's going to be Paris for the winners..."

Wait a minute. Wait a minute!!! The prize for this year really was a trip to Paris? Ohmigosh ohmigosh omigosh!!!! There was absolutely NO WAY I could let anyone else than us win this thing. I was already determined to be number one but with this new information, I was going to crush them all under my feet and no sympathy for anyone! This. Was. War.

"Darling, Paris is the ultimate capital of fashion," Rarity whispered to me. "I went there five years ago and my shopping sprees were exquisite."

"And let's not forget that's where are the best bakeries and pastries shops in the world," Pinkie added, already drooling over.

"I heard there's a big zoo right in the center of Paris," Fluttershy went on, with an emotional voice.

Something to know about Fluttershy is that she adores animals. She's an active vegan, have many pets and worked at an animal refuge, and let's not forget she was campaigning against fur in the whole school.

"Pinkie, there's no other choice: we must win. No matter what!"

Lyra and Bon Bon weren't sitting with us but from where we were, we had a glimpse at them and noticed they were at least as excited as we were. And this was how my mind went off that stupid message, completely. I had other things to do than to get pointlessly mad at something I couldn't fight. Life was so much more than romance and deceptions.

=================================================***======================================

I've checked out whether my passport was in order. I called my father so he could send me money in case I won the trip. Although I hate serious things and big responsibilities, I did everything necessary before lunch. If we won, which I didn't doubt, we would leave for Paris in one month, for one entire week but I wanted to have only the fun things to care about. This announcement invigorated me and I felt in perfect shape. Thanks to that, I hadn't broken another smartphone by sending it against a wall, which was my specialty when I was angry. I already had to buy a new one twice and I have to say that I am lost without my phone.

During lunch, with Pinkie, we were off on a trip of our own, trying all kind of hairstyles but hairstyles the ugliest possible. We were having fun and laughing out loud like fools when a wonderful idea occured. Why our theme for the Heart & Hooves Party couldn't be "Let's get ugly!"? The principle was simple: if you're alone for Hearts & Hooves Day, maybe you think that's because you're ugly. Well, big deal! Uglies have more fun, as a proof, our party would be the funniest... The aim would be for everyone to arrive there as ugly as possible.

Girls liked the idea very much and we created a quick flyer thanks to Rarity's great sense of creativity that we printed in order to give them away. We were showing off, wearing disguises - old clothes found in the costumes trunks, not matching together at all - with fake thick glasses, fake teeth or a ridiculous haircut or all this at the same time. I was in a style which I would never have dared in front of Soarin, with an horrible school uniform upside down, crooked pigtails and glasses so thick I couldn't even see straight. We laughed so hard it was rather difficult to give the flyers away seriously.

From afar, I spotted a familiar back. A lanky guy, slender with white crop hair. Yeah, Thunderlane, the one and only. Now I know I was mad at him and I said I didn't want to be anywhere near him because of what he said about Pinkie Pie and my other friends but today was an exception. We had an interest in talking to him. The guy was very popular with all kind of girls from the school and we knew for sure that if he could come at our party, then all his fans would want to be there too. It was worth a momentary bury of the hatchet.

"Hey, Thunderlane!"

He turned around and when he saw us, he had a small frightening jolt until he recognized us and all his body relaxed.

"What the hell is this get-up?" he asked, still a little scared.

"We're organizing a party for Hearts & Hooves Day. If we win, maybe we'll go to Paris thanks to us. Our theme is "Let's get ugly!". For those alone during Hearts & Hooves," I gave him a flyer. "See, they might think that's because they're ugly but if they come to our party, they'll find ugly friends and feel less lonely while having fun all night long. Isn't it awesome?"

"Yeah... That could be nice. Why not? Count me in."

I smiled at him, proud of myself. We were now sure to win. Already, I was dreaming about the streets of Paris, the restaurants, the Eiffel Tower, the parks and the National Opera...

"But," he said while taking a closer look at the flyer. "Why do you do that? Aren't you supposed to have a boyfriend?"

"I do..." I answered, my teeth clenched.

"So, what's the problem, then? Did he dump you?"

Did I ever mention how much I hated that guy? At that moment, I even hated him more than Filthy Rich. Trying to be nice and friendly gave way to him offending you without a care about anything. I snatched the flyer off his hands. He didn't need it and we didn't need his awful presence to win.

"You know what? Forget about it!"

I got away from here before I threw him against the wall and bumped into him like a wrestler in a show. I could hear Pinkie scolding him about things that weren't to be laughed at. Then, the strangest thing of all happened. Fluttershy, who was in the back and speechless until then, with her fake teeth and her messy hair, threw her fist in the air and cried "Let's get ugly!!" before running back to us.

We couldn't help bursting out laughing. Especially as when we turned around, we had a glimpse of Thunderlane's face. He was so puzzled that it looked like he was going to faint from the shock. Surely he was thinking that, before she met us, Fluttershy was a regular lovely and shy girl who now had become completely lunatics by befriending with so many disturbed persons. Served him right! Or not.

==================================================***======================================

We were here. Hearts & Hooves Day. I wanted to fall asleep on the day before and to wake up on the day after but I guess I wasn't tired enough. Instead of being sad, I was in my warrior mode, ready to fight for the spot of number one. Celebration for lovers? F*ck that! It was the day of showing what you were made of.

I bought a box of chocolates in the most luxurious chocolate shop (like I was going to make them myself), that I sent to Soarin via our dear postal service. To be honest, I had no idea whether he would receive them but I had done my girlfriend duty. There was going to be a party and I didn't want to be the sulking girl, unhappy because she was single... and I wasn't even single! Okay, the message I received on the previous day was still haunting me but the world hadn't ended yet. No need to throw a hissy fit.

In my class, I threw my bag on my table and heard the girls talking excitedly about tonight's party. Everything would be okay if only our school hadn't found a better thing to do than having classes about many disgusting sappy things like love and sentimentalism, worthy of Hearts & Hooves Day.

When I saw Vice-Principale Luna climbing on the dais instead of our teacher of History of Music, something told me that, maybe, I could have a lucky escape. Who knew? I could have that, luck, for a change, it wouldn't hurt.

"Well, in case you wonder what has happened to Mr. Rhythm Harmony, don't... I'm here to tell you about this year's gala preparation so you lucky fellows won't have History at all today. Don't get carried away, though cuz it's only for today. Fine. Let's start."

This news apparently pleased a lot of the students and as it happens, I have to say I was rather pleased as well. This way, I was sure that at least for one hour, they would not try to tell me about love and other sweet things. If anyone around me came and told me this was the day of love and that I had to feel love and to give love, I thought I would gave them love by biting their arms off. They shouldn't have nicknamed me "Munday" but "The Black Knight", or "The Killing Rabbit". You got the idea.

Vice-Principal Luna opened her mouth to speak, a powerpoint hanging above her on the big screen of the amphitheater when her sister, our Principal Celestia, dressed in red and pink, holding a basket arrived and interrupted her.

"Hello, everyone... This is the moment of Hearts & Hooves Day's letters delivery!"

Gosh, I have forgotten about this one thing!! Damn, damn, damn, damn, damn, damn! And damn again!

This was one of my school's stupid special traditions. It has to be said that even when I was with Soarin and everything was still perfect between us, I thought this was a completely stupid tradition. The only moments I tolerated romance was when it was embedded in a very good movie, played by an Award-winning performer. And if romanticism was rather pleasant in classic music, it had always been boring to me anywhere else. The opposite of what excites me.

So, here was that infamous tradition. Canterlot Academy of Music is a College, not a High School and naturally, we didn't have lockers - so we always carried around our heavy instruments, yes. This meant it was impossible for a girl to give a guy they loved chocolates. Also, boys tended to avoid chocolates in order not to feel obliged to offer something to the girl during White Day, one month later, which led to a lot of boxes of chocolate that ended their race inside a trashcan. It was waste and waste was frowned up in the CAM. That was why Principal Celestia had settled a delivery of love letters instead, sent both by girls and boys.

Just like in "Mean Girls" with the sugarcanes, Principal Celestia called those who had a letter by their names and they got up to pick their letters on the dais. Thus, you could easily see who was popular, who wasn't or who scared people so much they never dared sending anything.

It was no surprise that Thunderlane was drowning in letters, like each year. Rarity had a lot of secret admirers as well, just like Fluttershy and even Pinkie Pie had her share of challenge-crazy boys who were head over heels for her outlandish character and her big boobs.

Did I have letters as well? At the beginning, yes. But after then, everybody knew I was dating someone (though they didn't know who) and no one dared to get blown off by Munday herself.

Yet, she called my name. A strange silence fell on the amphitheater as I got off my chair, puzzled. When I stretched out a shaky hand to get my letter, Principal Celestia leaned over and whispered something in my ear.

"This letter have been posted directly in our mailbox. There's no stamp on it, nor anything to tell us where it comes from. We hesitated for a long while before deciding to give it to you anyway. Are you sure you want to get it?"

Wait, what?

"Er... Yeah. I think I am."

"Fine. But be very careful, Rainbow Dash. If there's the least problem, don't hesitate."

Then, she called another person. Going back to my place, I caught Pinkie's eyes looking worried, to which I answered by a shrug. I had no idea what that could be.

"Fine," Vice-Principal Luna said once the delivery was over. "Read your letters quickly and let's get this over with! We have more important things to deal with."

Two minutes ago, I would have agreed with her. But I couldn't say I wasn't intrigued by this blank envelop with no other words written on it than my name. Only when I took a closer look at the writing my heart skipped a beat. A sharp lump appeared inside my throat. That couldn't be. How could it be? I was excited and afraid at the same time. It could also be a bad joke or another trivialities redacted by a robot for a no one. However, seeing everybody busy reading their letters I knew that, if I didn't hurry up, they would have been done and I would be tortured about that letter until the classes would be over. I had no choice.

My hands even shakier, I unsealed the envelop. As I took the letter out of it and unfolded it, something fell on my knees. I could have looked at what it was but now I wanted to read the letter as soon as possible. This way, if it was a dirty trick, I would be rid of it quickly.

« My dear Dashie,
I'm sorry. You know it, I won't be here for Hearts & HoovesDay. It must be painful or, if I know you right, it probably makes you mad. Don't be mad, please. I don't want you to get yourself worked up and stressed with that. Even though I know you're strong and you won't cry in front of anyone, I also remember what you told me on that night, the summer we went to spend one week at my home in Hoofington. Don't let this reach your walls.

I did my best so that Mr. Filthy Rich would give me at least three hours to be with you but he said I was too busy for that and made sure my schedules were too packed for that. Just like you, I'm mad, but I'm mad about myself because it feels like I'm not fighting strong enough for us. Well, that's why I took the initiative to write this letter to you that I've asked a friend to post at your school.

Could you do something for me? Today, I'd like you to smile, not to frown. You know that in my eyes, you're pretty all the time, and especially when you're tough but just for today, smile. Let the others see how bright you shine when there's a smile on your face. Please, remember that you're not alone. I'm here and I think about you all the time. I'd like you to keep this in mind each time you need some comfort. Don't worry, I'm fine. I miss you terribly but I'm fine. I promise I'll do my best to call you soon. We'll see each other very quickly, I'll do my best for this as well. Here's looking at you, kid.
Yours truly,
Soarin

P.S : you certainly have received that awful message they send to clients they have no time to get in touch with. Believe me when I said that I've begged Mr. Filthy Rich's secretary, the one who is mean, not to send it but she sent it anyway. I'm really, really, really, really, really sorry."

I wasn't expecting this. My hands were no longer shaky from nervousness. I was no longer mad and I no longer felt the need to be violent towards anyone. I just wished I could dance and sing and be silly and even sappy. As a smile stretched on my face, I had a glimpse at Pinkie staring at me, visibly happy and I didn't even try to hide it by boasting. Even when I heard some whispers about me by boys, stunned to see I wasn't only an Ice Princess, I didn't try to hide.

I pressed the letter against my heart and mentally thank a deity, not even thinking about one in particular - I'm not a religious person, neither. There was so much warmth in my body that I wanted to share it with everyone. Now I was ready for anything, whether it was an essay about romance in operas, or partying or dealing in Thunderlane's presence...

While Vice-Principal Luna started her lecture, I grabbed my favorite notebook so I could stick Soarin's letter there. This notebook was especially designed to collect everything I had that came from Soarin. I wrote important details of what happened between us, day by day, month by month, year by year. There are letters, pictures, written copies of emails and messages.

Suddenly, I remembered something had fallen on my laps when I unfolded the letter. What I discovered was a picture of Soarin and I, that we took in a photobooth and on which we were doing funny faces. It was his favorite one. I couldn't believe he finally accepted to give it to me...

I stuck it right beside the letter, with my brightest smile on, glad to know that I had been right to keep faith in him, in me, and faith in us.

Author's Note:

Yes, the publication is really early today but there's a friend of mine who unexpectedly visits me and I won't have the time at the usual hour so... Here we are :twilightsmile: