• Published 9th Apr 2018
  • 1,577 Views, 51 Comments

Rarity's Inner Turmoil - CapNTilfy



Rarity has hidden a crush she had on a girl for a few months, and it's starting to consume her thoughts. Book 3 of "Not Just Any Old Day".

  • ...
5
 51
 1,577

Girl Talk

Author's Note:

This chapter takes place after The Next Big Thing from Sunset Shimmer's Sick Day and Lily Pad at Pinkie's Pad from Pinkie Pie's Chaotic Saturday.

Okay. At least now someone besides me knows. That should help. I hope. Rarity thought to herself as she was driving Lily Pad to her house. I still can't believe I didn't notice I was still wearing the damn thing! This is really starting to get out of hand...

"Rarity?" said a voice from the backseat.

I mean, it's one thing to have a crush, but it's another thing entirely to have it affect my life like this! The way things are going, I'm frankly surprised I even managed to think about her only twice during work!

"Rarity??" repeated the voice.

Even Twilight doesn't act this way when Timber Spruce is even so much as mentioned. Is my crush that severe? Are my feelings this strong?

"Rarity!" the voice shouted, snapping her out of her thoughts.

Rarity looked into her rear view mirror. "Yes, Lily?"

"Where are we going?" Lily asked, a mixture of confusion and concern on her face.

"What are you talking about, dear? We're-" She cut herself off, drove to the side of the road and hit the breaks. Lily yelped. Rarity suddenly realized this wasn't the way to her house. They were heading for..."Dammit." Rarity said softly. "Dammit." she repeated, feeling tears of frustration flow down her cheeks.

"Rarity? Are you...okay?" asked Lily.

"Am I okay?" Rarity said, unsure if she was answering Lily or asking herself. "Frankly, Lily, I don't know." Rarity was choking up. "I'm just going through a rough time right now. A new situation. It's exhilarating, frightening, maddening..." she could barely suppress a sob. "It's been taking over every aspect of my life, and it's driving me crazy."

Lily gave Rarity a sympathetic look. "Do you want to talk about it?"

"If it helps...the situation. I'm sorry, I just...I just need a minute." Rarity unbuckled her seatbelt, bolted out the driver side door and ran a few feet away from the car, then collapsed into a sobbing fit. A few minutes later, Rarity regained her composure and walked back to her car. She sniffled as she closed the driver side door. "I'm...sorry you had to see that, Lily."

Lily had a reassuring look on her face. "It's okay. Everybody needs a good cry every now and then."

Rarity smiled, wiping her tears, then blowing her nose. "I suppose I really needed that then." She sighed. "Okay. I believe I'm ready to talk about it."

"Is this your first crush?" asked Lily.

"My first crush on a female, yes." said Rarity.

"Did you have any trouble asking out any boys you had crushes on?" asked Lily.

"No, of course not, Lily." replied Rarity.

"And you're mainly worried about rejection, right?" asked Lily.

"Well, yes." said Rarity.

"So then why should this be any different?" asked Lily.

Before Rarity could reply, her phone buzzed.

Hey guys!- Sent by Sunset Shimmer

Grateful for a temporary distraction, Rarity immediately texted back.

Sunset, darling! How are you feeling?- Sent by Rarity

Deciding not to stall for time, Rarity said "I honestly don't know." Her phone buzzed again.

Still kinda crappy.- Sent by Sunset Shimmer

That makes two of us, darling. Rarity thought. She sighed. "I know my friends, my family and you well enough to know that you won't judge my newfound preference. It's just that when I first laid my eyes on her, I knew she was something special. Despite my feelings, however, I just bottled them up for the past few months." Before Lily could say anything, Rarity said "I know, I know. It's not healthy to bottle up any of your feelings. I just didn't know what to do with myself. I'm not even sure I know what to do with myself now."

"So why don't you tell her?" asked Lily.

"Because I want to have all my friends by my side when I do. Whether it's to share the joy of a new relationship, or to share the sorrow of rejection. Friends make everything better." said Rarity.

Lily smiled. "Pinkie told me it's never a dull moment when all seven of you are together."

Rarity smiled. "She's right. We're all like sisters, you know. We've been through quite a lot together. Perhaps someday you'll meet the rest of us."

Lily laughed. "Pinkie said the same thing."

They both shared a laugh.

"Someday you'll have a group of friends to share a strong, unbreakable bond with. And it will be one of the greatest feelings you will ever have." Rarity said.

"You mean like love?" said Lily Pad.

Rarity quirked an eyebrow.

"What's her name, anyway?" Asked Lily Pad.

Rarity hesitated. "Well...I suppose you wouldn't know her. But if you do, do not give her any indication that you know she's my crush. Deal?"

Lily Pad nodded. "Deal."

Rarity took a deep breath and sighed. "Her name is..."

A car passed by, with its driver glancing at Rarity's car.

Lily thought for a moment. "Nope. Doesn't ring a bell."

Rarity tried hide her relief, but failed.

Lily smiled. "How about we make our way back to your place?"

Rarity smiled in return. "That sounds like a good idea."

The two sat in companionable silence all the way to Rarity's.

Once they reached the driveway, Rarity checked her phone.

Just finished installing the guard rails on Sunset's stairs. She's sleeping now.- Sent by Applejack

She checked in with us while you were working, so she must be feeling a little better.- Sent by Rainbow Dash

I can't wait until she gets better! I'll hold a "Yay, You're All Better Now!" party!- Sent by Pinkie Pie

I'm surprised she was able to sleep through all that noise.- Sent by Twilight Sparkle

Rarity smiled, then sent a text.

She's had an exhausting couple of days, so I'm not all surprised.- Sent by Rarity

Lily and Rarity got out of the car. Rarity walked towards Lily, and gave her a big hug. "Lily Pad, you a girl wise beyond her years. You will have many wonderful friends, and they will be very, very lucky to be yours." Rarity ended the hug and smiled. "Thank you for the talk. I really needed it."

Lily Pad smiled. "You're welcome, Rarity. Now let's go inside."

"Agreed!" Rarity said, with a grin on her face.