• Published 9th Apr 2018
  • 1,577 Views, 51 Comments

Rarity's Inner Turmoil - CapNTilfy



Rarity has hidden a crush she had on a girl for a few months, and it's starting to consume her thoughts. Book 3 of "Not Just Any Old Day".

  • ...
5
 51
 1,577

An Adventure in Babysitting

Lily and Rarity entered the house. "Why don't you come up to my room? It'll be nice and quite there. Father's probably watching one of his favorite sports programs and he can be a tad...rowdy."

"Okay." said Lily. The two entered Rarity's room. "You know, Rarity, I don't think I've ever actually seen your room before. It's sparkly."

Rarity smiled. "Thank you, dear." She made her way to her desk to look over the designs she had in mind for her friends when they would play at Crystal Prep's spring dance.

Lily walked up to Rarity's desk. "Those designs are beautiful, Rarity. Where do you get these ideas from?"

Rarity smiled and tapped her pointer finger to her forehead. "Here." Then placed her hands on her chest, where her heart was. "And here." Then pointed to a picture of her and her friends. "And lastly, them."

Lily looked at the picture. "I see you, Pinkie, and Twilight, and I recognize the other four from the Dance Magic music video in the mall."

Rarity blinked. "When did you meet Twilight?"

"I met her on the beach. She and Pinkie were hanging out, and I just happened to be there." Lily smiled. "Twilight was making an equation in the sand. Something about a quiz from one of your magazines."

Rarity laughed. "Oh, I heard about that. Pinkie told me about it great deal when she gave back my magazine. She just didn't mention you were there." Rarity's phone buzzed.

Still no changes so far. She's taking a rest right now.- Sent by Fluttershy

Something's gotta give eventually. She was drinking a smoothie that I brought her from work.- Sent by Applejack

She better be at her best when I take her on!- Sent by Rainbow Dash

Don't worry, her fever should break eventually.- Sent by Twilight Sparkle

Rarity smiled warmly and sent a text.

Twilight's right, we should just wait it out.- Sent by Rarity

"So who are the others in the picture? I can at least guess which one Rainbow Dash is, that much is obvious." Said Lily.

Pointing to each of her friends, she named the ones Lily was unfamiliar with. "That's Fluttershy, that's Applejack and that's Sunset Shimmer."

"Sunset's the sick friend, right? Pinkie told me about her dilemma."

"Yes. She's got some kind of fever or something. I don't know what it is, but that's why I was wearing that suit." said Rarity.

Rarity took out the dress designs she had in mind for her friends. Then, she took out five more.

Lily looked over Rarity's shoulder. "Hey, isn't that your crush's name on one of those?"

Rarity blushed. "Yes. Yes it is. I'm designing dresses for her and her schoolmates. It's for their spring dance."

Lily gave Rarity a confused look. "Spring? But it's the middle of summer!"

Rarity smiled. "I like to plan ahead. One never knows when alterations will be needed."

"I guess." said Lily.

Excited yelling from downstairs startled both Lily and Rarity. Thank god I wasn't sewing just now. She shuddered. "I warned you about his rowdiness." she smiled.

"You weren't kidding." said Lily. "What about your mom? Where is she?"

"Oh, she's probably at a bake sale of some sort. She makes a mean cookie."

"And your sister?"

"Oh, Sweetie Belle's probably doing something with her Crusader friends, Apple Bloom and Scootaloo. Those three are just as inseparable as me and my six friends." Rarity smiled.

"So what drew you into fashion in the first place?" asked Lily.

Rarity pondered Lily's question. "The beauty of it, for one thing. I believe that making people look good will help them feel good. I like to bring the inner beauty of people to the outside, so they can express to the world 'this is who I am, and I'm not afraid to show it!'" Rarity blushed. "I just hope I can bring her inner beauty out...not that she needs help with it."

"So, what does she look like?" asked Lily.

"Oh, I can actually show you." said Rarity. She pulled out a picture Photo Finish took at the end of the Dance Magic music video. Rarity pointed to the person in question. "That's her."

"Oh, she was in that music video too? She was a great dancer." said Lily.

"Tell me about it." Rarity said dreamily, then snapped back to attention.

"Do you keep in touch with her?" asked Lily.

"Yes, we text each other now and then." Rarity's phone buzzed. "Speaking of texting..."

I'm leaving Sunset's place early so I don't accidentally wake her up.- Sent by Fluttershy

You sure that's a good idea, sugarcube?- Sent by Applejack

Rarity smiled. That's Fluttershy for you. She sent a text.

She should be fine, darling. We live in a decent neighborhood, after all.- Sent by Rarity

"When was the last time you saw her?" asked Lily.

"The day after our music video won the contest." said Rarity.

"And she has no idea how you feel about her?" asked Lily.

"Honestly, Lily, I don't even know if she prefers women or not." said Rarity.

Rarity's phone buzzed again.

'm heading over to Sunset's! Fluttershy, did you leave the door unlocked?- Sent by Rainbow Dash

I did, you shouldn't have any trouble getting in.- Sent by Fluttershy

Good thing there isn't any magical wackiness going on right now, or we'd be in a pickle!- Sent by Pinkie Pie

Rarity rolled her eyes. And that's Pinkie for you. She sent a text.

For heaven's sake, Pinkie, don't tempt fate!- Sent by Rarity

Rarity sighed.

"Is everything okay with your friend?" asked Lily.

"Just Pinkie Pie being Pinkie Pie." said Rarity. "As for Sunset, there haven't been any changes. Something has to give eventually."

Lily Pad nodded.

There was knocking at Rarity's bedroom door. "Rarity?" her dad called. "Lily Pad's mother is here to pick her up!"

Rarity walked with Lily to the entrance of her home.

"You'll tell me how it went the next time you babysit?" asked Lily.

"Of course, darling." Rarity smiled, then hugged Lily. "Again, thank you."

"You're welcome." said Lily. The door opened, and Lily left as Rarity again felt herself tear up.