• Published 23rd Mar 2018
  • 5,305 Views, 121 Comments

Sunset Shimmer's Sick Day - CapNTilfy



Sunset Shimmer isn't feeling so great. Luckily for her, she has friends to keep her company. Book 1 of "Not Just Any Old Day".

  • ...
5
 121
 5,305

The Next Big Thing

There, standing in the doorway, was Rarity. Wearing a nearly skin-tight silk bodysuit colored white and purple with three blue diamonds on each leg. On her back was a backpack with an air filter, also colored white and purple with three blue diamonds in the center. On her head was a similarly colored helmet. "Surely you didn't expect me to be in one of those unsightly over-sized yellow hazmat suits? I custom made this myself with Twilight's science know-how. Made just in case any of my friends fall ill." She said with pride.

Recovering from her laughing fit before it became a coughing fit, Sunset said "Rarity, it's just a bad fever. It's not like I have the plague." She wiped a tear from her eye.

"Oh, pfft!" Scoffed Rarity. "You know how I feel about germs and icky things, darling."

Sunset rolled her eyes. "Yes, I do. Thank you for the laugh, by the way. I really needed it." Suddenly, her face lit up. "Oh! I almost forgot! I had an idea shortly before you got here! How does this sound: Sick Couture! 'Just because you don't feel good doesn't mean you shouldn't look good!'"

Rarity blinked, then looked deep in thought. "Hmm...I think you might be onto something, Sunset. Let's talk details!"

As they spoke, Sunset found herself looking back at their history together. When Sunset first met her, she saw Rarity as little more than a snobbish overreacting drama queen with a severe aversion to dirt. However, after the Fall Formal, she saw her in a different light. While getting to know Rarity better, Sunset noticed they both had a passion for the creative arts. Once that commonality was noticed, the two hit it off quite quickly. Rarity with her passion for fashion, and Sunset with her passion for art. They both drew inspiration from each other when they showed each other their work.

Suddenly, Sunset felt dizzy. "Whoa, what the-"

Suddenly seeing her friend lose her balance, Rarity panicked, but almost immediately recovered from her shock. Channeling her geode, she summoned a large flat diamond for Sunset to land on safely. "Good heavens, darling, are you all right?! Do you need to lie down?" Rarity said, full of concern.

"I...just got dizzy is all." Sunset said weakly. "I didn't exactly get a good night's sleep last night either, so that might have had something to do with it."

Rarity lifted the flat diamond carrying Sunset onto the couch, then dissipated the diamond. She then put her hand on Sunset's forehead, forgetting in the moment that she was wearing a bodysuit. "Oh. Right." Rarity blushed in embarrassment, then walked over to the bathroom to grab a thermometer. Returning, she stuck it under Sunset's tongue. "I insist you get some rest, Sunset Shimmer. We can always talk about Sick Chic later." Rarity took out the thermometer. "Goodness, darling, you're burning up!" She sprinted to the bathroom again, grabbed a washcloth and soaked it in cold water. "Now you get some sleep, dear. I'll wake you up when I have to leave." Rarity said as she put the washcloth on Sunset's forehead.

Sunset smiled. "Thanks, Rarity." She chuckled. "'Sick Chic' rolls off the tongue. Maybe we should call it that instead 'Sick Couture'. It could be the next...big..." Sunset trailed off as she drifted off to sleep.

Having calmed down, Rarity took a breath and sighed. "I think I handled that rather well." Pulling out her phone, she texted an update to the others.

I'm afraid she's feeling worse, dears. She had a dizzy spell and is burning up, but she's getting the rest she needs. - Sent by Rarity

----------------------------------------------

Opening her eyes, Sunset found herself back in the same dream with Princess Celestia and Principal Celestia. "Okay, something must be up if this dream is recurring." She stroked her chin. She looked at the two Celestias. "So I assume you two aren't going to say anything right now?" She was answered with silence. Sunset sighed. "Why am I not surprised?" Suddenly, the room started disappearing. Bit by bit, until it had completely vanished. Sunset and both Celestias were now outside. The sun was shining brightly. It shone brighter and brighter until Sunset had to shield her eyes. Once the sunlight started to dim, Sunset gawked at two new arrivals. Standing to her left was Rarity, wearing the new outfit she chose when all seven of them agreed to change outfits together. To her right was a white unicorn she only caught a glimpse of when she stole Princess Twilight's crown. "Both human Rarity and Equestrian Rarity?! Okay, I take it back. I'm surprised."

Both of the Raritys looked at Sunset and said in unison "Is something the matter, darling?"

---------------------------------------------

Rarity's phone buzzed.

Well, that sucks. - Sent by Rainbow Dash

Oh, dear. That's terrible news! - Sent by Fluttershy

I'll bring a smoothie with me when I get there. - Sent by Applejack

Major bummer! - Sent by Pinkie Pie

Did you put a cold washcloth on her forehead? - Sent by Twilight Sparkle

Yes, Twilight, I did. - Sent by Rarity

Not bothering to wait for Twilight's response, Rarity started to clean Sunset's living room. At least this will be one less thing for her to worry about when she wakes up, she thought. When she finished, Rarity look at her phone. "Goodness!" She shouted. "I need to get going!"

---------------------------------------------

Sunset stared at the two Raritys in disbelief. "Is something the matter? Yes, something is the matter! How is there a human Rarity and a Pony Rarity in the same place? I mean, I get this is a dream and everything, but-" before she could finish, Sunset was woken up.

---------------------------------------------

"Rarree wass wrong?" Sunset slurred, slowly sitting up as the now mildly damp washcloth fell off of her forehead.

"So sorry to wake you up, darling, but I must be going." Rarity said.

Still half awake, Sunset said "Okay, I understand. I'll keep an ear out for Pinkie."

Rarity gave her a look of concern. "Promise me you won't do anything to agitate your condition while you wait for her?"

Sunset smiled softly. "I promise."

Rarity gave Sunset a smile. "Okay, then. Drink plenty of fluids and stay rested!"

Sunset nodded. "Don't worry, I will."

Rarity exited Sunset's home and Sunset found herself alone with her thoughts. What was that all about? Recurring dreams always have significance to them... She slowly walked to the kitchen to get a glass of water. I hope this doesn't keep me up at night. I've lost enough sleep as it is. As she filled a glass with water, Sunset's phone buzzed.

Incoming! - Sent by Pinkie Pie

Sunset smiled to herself. At least hanging out with Pinkie will get my mind off things...for the time being. Sitting back on the couch, she took a drink of water.

A few minutes later, Pinkie Pie burst through the door. "Iiiit's PARTY TIME! P-A-R-T. Y? Because I gotta!"

Author's Note:

I'll admit the whole hazmat thing was predictable, but Rarity wouldn't wear one without making it FABULOUS! =P