• Published 11th Mar 2018
  • 2,174 Views, 284 Comments

A Compass to the Soul - CartoonNerd12



Rainbow Dash has always want a life at sea but not in the way she thought. Tormented by her past, she tries to move on with her life but nightmares and memories keep reminding her what she had. Will she ever be free from her shadows?

  • ...
3
 284
 2,174

Nothing Comes Easy

Rainbow Dash and Soarin arrived on the balcony and admired the moon and stars knowing their goddess was watching them.

Soarin said, "Feels like we never left, does it?"

She shook her head, "No, it doesn't."

"Other than our appearances have changed we're still the same ponies that were in this very spot two years."

"Except we're now much older and wiser." she quipped.

"Weeelll, I wouldn't go that far, it's true we know better than what we knew before but we were still in love after our time apart and that never changed."

She smiled and nuzzled his face, telling him, "You're right… And I am so glad for that…"

He smiled back and nuzzled as well. It was nothing but pure bliss for them hoping the moment would never end.

Suddenly they heard a familiar ahem and with widen eyes they slowly turned to see Spitfire coming out.

As they were speechless to say anything the mare started, "Forgive me for intruding, I was just coming out for some air, it was getting very hot in there."

Dash stammered, "Er… um…" before she used her fake posh accent, "Not-not at all, events as big as this tend to be overheated for my tastes."

"Er, yes!" Soarin once again deepened his voice, "I must agree with my wife."

Spitfire's eyes widen when she heard the word, 'wife' and questioned, "How long have you been married?"

"A month." both replied.

"Really? Well… my congratulations. I assume things have been going well for you then?"

They looked at each other and smiled as Dash replied, "Well it hasn't been easy especially since we have a daughter to raise."

That made Spitfire's eyes go wider as the couple saw that and chuckled with Soarin telling her, "She's adopted."

"Oh! Oh, okay. Forgive me, for a moment I thought…"

"It's fine." Rainbow said letting her real voice slip out.

This made Spitfire smile as she said, "Pardon me, I forgot to introduce myself, I am Captain Spitfire of the Equestrian Navy."

"We figured as much." Soarin pointed to her uniform.

Her smile grew more with her saying, "Yes, I suppose the uniform is a giveaway."

There was a long pause as the couple wished they could say more about their previous experiences to their old friend and captain.

Spitfire on the other hoof wanted to tell them she knew it was them but whatever reason they had of pretending to be nobility she figured it had to be a good one. The Soarin and Rainbow Dash she knew would never do something like this unless they had to.

She told them, "Well, I should be getting back inside now, but it was wonderful talking to you," she turned to go and uttered out, "Clipper, Crash…"

The couple gawked in shock when hearing that and tried to speak but couldn't feeling absolutely baffled and by the time they could form words the pegasus had already departed and was back inside the ballroom.


"Wait, wait…" Twilight slowly said before gapping, "Your old captain knows?! Actually knows it's you?!"

They were back in their royal guest rooms as the couple nodded and Dash added, "Honestly it really took us by storm. I mean Spitfire is no way a fool but for her to be able to figure it out is…"

"Awe-inspiring…" her husband finished.

"But she made no indication that she will reveal your true identities?"

Soarin said, "It sounded like it, and it seemed like she was just happy to see us than anything else."

Dash nodded her head in agreement.

Twilight rubbed her chin then she said, "Still to be sure, we'll have to keep an eye on her just in case."

While they didn't like the idea the couple agreed to it reluctantly.


That night in her office Spitfire was going over the events of tonight with Fleetfoot until she brought up her talk with the Count and Countess.

"They were a nice couple. In fact they reminded them a lot of Soarin and Rainbow Dash when they were here."

Fleetfoot gapped, "You saw that too?!" before she covered her mouth.

She raised her brow, "So you did see the resemblance. Why did you try to avoid it when I asked you at the ball?"

Her lieutenant shamefully hung her head, "I guess I was afraid you would think I was crazy…"

Spitfire sighed and rubbed her temple, "Guess I deserve that… since I was no better in thinking that Dash was guilty when I know better now. The truth is Fleetfoot it was more than a resemblance, it was them, really them."

The mare gapped further and sputtered, "B-b-but it can't be! How is that possible?!"

"Who knows." she shrugged, "My guess is that by some twist of fate, Soarin was spared from death and Dash was able to find him in her time of being on the run."

"Dang… It's so bizarre yet it's the only thing that makes sense…"

"Exactly. And not only that but they got married just last month and are raising an adopted daughter."

"Really?! Aw… but they said I could be in their wedding party…"

"Well what do you expect them to do, Flatfoot? Postpone the wedding until they came back?"

"Well that would have been nice."

She sighed again, "Need I remind that it's been two years since we've seen them and the fact that Dash is exiled from Equestria doesn't exactly help matters either. So if anything I commend them on their sensibility."

"But there's one thing I don't understand, why are they back and in disguise of all things?"

"That's what I don't know. But whatever it is I'm sure it's something important, you know they wouldn't do this kind of thing otherwise."

"Do… do you think we can somehow talk to them like old times?"

"Perhaps, when they're done with whatever they're doing but for now we leave them alone and we do not let anyone else know it's them. Do I make myself clear?"

Fleetfoot saluted, "Aye Captain. No one will ever know but us."

However… Just outside Spitfire's office, Officer Lightning Dust had been passing by when she overheard the entire conversation and her blood had run cold when she heard of Rainbow Dash's return.

She quickly rushed out of the academy and went to a nearby tavern where a graying stallion was drinking next to the barkeep.

"We got a problem." she said as she approached him.

Wind Rider, a retired Navy officer turned to her and inquired, "Oh? And what would that be?"

"Rainbow Dash. She's back."

"So? She'll just get arrested like we originally planned, problem solved."

"Except… Soarin is with her…"

Now Wind Rider looked concerned and put down his drink. He slowly asked, "You're sure…?"

"Positive. I overheard Spitfire telling Fleetfoot. Apparently they're here as the Count and Countess of Monterufolino. Why? Spitfire doesn't know."

"Interesting…" he furrowed his brows in thought.

"That's not all, it seems they have managed to tie the knot after all and are raising a kid."

"Kid, uh? Well, sounds like we can use that to our advantage. Here's what I want you to do, you'll look more into why they are here as a Count and Countess and to see whatever or not their kid is with them. Then report back to me, got it?"

She smirked and saluted, "You got it." then as she was about to go she said, "You know I wish I can take orders from you instead of Spitfire, you're a much better captain in my opinion."

He smirked back and raised his glass, "Flattery will get you everywhere, kid. You got the potential to seize your moment." he winked.

She smiled once more before going.