• Published 11th Mar 2018
  • 2,171 Views, 284 Comments

A Compass to the Soul - CartoonNerd12



Rainbow Dash has always want a life at sea but not in the way she thought. Tormented by her past, she tries to move on with her life but nightmares and memories keep reminding her what she had. Will she ever be free from her shadows?

  • ...
3
 284
 2,171

Reminiscing

"So in the time that I have been gone, Rainbow was accused of stealing from the Navy's treasury and ran away because she was innocent and then was taken in by pirates for almost two years before the captain got poisoned and Dash volunteered to save her by going to South Amareica to find the right cure. Then she hired all of you to be her crew and you have been traveling together for some time now but then just recently, a storm hit and Rainbow and three of your shipmates got separated from you and you have no idea where they are now."

Applejack stated, "That pretty much sums it up."

Soarin clutched on to his tea cup while uttering, "Oh Dash… I had no idea…"

Rarity remarked, "Of course you had no idea! You've been lost at sea all this time! Which is certainly remarkable by the way."

AJ pointed, "Yeah, how did you survive for so long?"

"Oh… where to begin…?"

He slowly recapped all that he endured in the last two years, from when the typhoon sank his ship to him living on Discord's island to the point where he and his friends got off by the help of the seaponies that were also hippogriffs.

"Speaking of which, they're probably waiting for me to come back."

Applejack told him, "By all means invite them on board."

Soarin nodded before he went to go get his companions.


Rainbow Dash sat alone on the tavern's dock watching the calm ocean. This reminded her of all the times her and Soarin would go to the beach having fun and would relax afterwards by watching the waves.

She could remember them laughing over the byname he had with the other officers.

"I don't care if your name meant you clipped your wing on a pole, to me Clipper means being as fast as a ship which you completely are." she winked at him.

He cuddled closer to her, "That means a lot coming from you."

"How so?"

"Well you're the fastest flyer I have ever seen in my life, not only that but you can create a sonic rainboom! A mare's tale come true! You're just that incredible…"

She cuddled back, "Please… Do we have to go over this again…? You're just as incredible too. In the last six months that we've been together I have been able to share with you things I never thought I would share with any other pony… You understand me… And it's because of that I lov-" she stopped herself realizing she almost confessed her true feelings.

Soarin had caught it and was shocked before he smirked, "You… what?"

She blushed heavily, "Nothing! It's nothing!"

He chuckled and shook his head, "Oh Dash… I know…"

She gave a doubtful look and challenged, "Oh really?"

He faced her with his gleaming emerald eyes making her heart thump furiously.

"And I can wait... I'll wait as long as I have to. One thing's for certain, my feelings for you will never change and I'm not afraid to say it."

She gasped.

"But I won't say it until you do. Because you need to say it more than me."

He was right. She needed to say the words first because she wanted to be sure of herself and of the commitment she would make with this stallion that has made his way into her heart pass her walls and insecurities. Then without thinking she moved her lips to his and closed her eyes.

He saw what she was doing and closed his eyes too and felt the impact of the kiss. Their first kiss.

Without breaking the contact, they kept on kissing until they had to take a breath.

She moved her hoof to his cheek and caressed it while uttering, "Thank you…"

"For giving you time?" he guessed.

"No. Thank you, for being you…"

With smiles on their faces, they kissed again.

She sighed at the end of the memory and wished with all her heart that she said I love you to him sooner. Had she known then what was going to happen she never would have wasted another moment in their time together.


Capper stretched out his limbs once they've been transformed back while on the ship.

"Ah, it's great to be back to my regular self!"

Spike flapped his wings to get the feeling of being a dragon again.

The others were back to being ponies or hippogriffs.

The crew was surprised by the number of creatures as they've never seen them before. Capper and Spike could see that some of the mares were scared or distrusting toward them but they were used to that and ignored the gazes.

Skystar and her cousins however tried to be friendly to them but the ponies kept their distance.

Applejack came out to greet the newcomers when suddenly she heard a very familiar voice behind the large group.

"Applejack? Is that you?"

She gasped as they parted for the red stallion and the two were gawking at each other. Everyone was confused as to what was going on until AJ shouted in joy.

"Big Mac!" and ran to him.

Mac held his arms out and embraced her.

"Mah little sister! I can't believe it!"

Soarin and the others were stunned to hear that and realized that their friend has just been reunited with his own sister!

AJ yelled out, "Apple Bloom get up here!"

Mac expressed in delight, "Apple Bloom's here too?"

"Yeah, she is and here she comes." she pointed as the young filly came on deck confused until she saw what the fuss was about and gasped before releasing happy tears and exclaimed, "Big Mac!" and ran to him just like her sister did.

Mac caught her and lifted her up in the air making her squeal.

"I can't believe it's you!"

The stallion hugged her tightly while releasing his own tears of joy.

The Apple siblings got into a family hug while everyone cheered them on.

Flash commented to Soarin, "Well how about that…?"

Soarin smiled at the reunion even though he wished his love was here too it was enough to see one of his friends be together with his family at last.

Rarity and Fluttershy came out to see what the commotion was about and were just as happy for Applejack and Apple Bloom finding their long lost brother.

Both Capper and Spike caught sight of the pretty unicorn and immediately went gaga over her.

After Big Mac and Soarin made the introductions of their group and Applejack did the same with the crew, everyone mingled with each other on the ship.

Rarity was flattered by the attention she was given by the Abyssinian and dragon as they were charming and good looking.

Flash could see this and whispered to Soarin, "You know that might become a problem later on."

Soar merely nodded and told him, "Keep an eye on them and make sure they don't do anything stupid."

Flash nodded back.

Terramar, Silverstream, and Rumble met with Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle as they were all close in age and were able to relate their lives to each other. Rumble had finished telling about his life back on the island with Sweetie commenting.

"That must have been boring, being stuck on an island all your life."

"Not really, I had Pipsqueak, Skeedaddle, and Button Mash to play with and there was always something new to explore on the island. I actually loved living there."

The kids kept talking.

Meanwhile, Applejack and Fluttershy were speaking to the hippogriffs with AJ saying while taking off her hat in respect, "I must say it's a real honor to have royalty on our ship."

Skystar giggled, "Please it's nothing. I'm just a hippogriff trying to have one adventure before she has to take up her kingdom's throne."

Fluttershy was asking many hippogriff-related questions that it was hard for Sky Beak and Seaspray to keep up.

Big Mac ended up talking to Sugar Belle and was having wonderful conversation with her which was impressive for a stallion of very few words.

Rarity mentioned to the dragon, "You know, I can't help but think I've heard your name somewhere before."

Spike smirked, "Oh really? Maybe you heard it in a dream."

Capper frowned.

Rarity shook her head, "No, no, that's not it." she pondered on it until it hit her and she exclaimed, "Oh yes! That was the name of the dragon that Twilight raised!"

Spike gasped, "Twilight?! You know Twilight?!"

"Why yes! In fact she's one of the shipmates that got separated from us!"

Spike gasped again and yelled, "I don't believe it!"

Capper nodded dumbfoundedly, "It is rather eerie. I mean what were the odds…? Between Soarin almost reuniting with his fiancée, Big Mac finding his sisters, and now you found out your former caretaker was on this very ship too."

Rarity gawked at this revelation, "Oh my Celestia…"


The sun was setting in the distance as Rainbow still sat on the dock before she was joined by Cheese Sandwich.

"Pinkie just told me. I'm sorry about your fiancé. At least I had a choice of leaving but he… I'm so sorry."

She stated, "It's fine. I've already heard so many condolences, what's one more?"

He made a guilty look, "Sorry… Of course you must be tired of being pitied over something you couldn't control."

She sighed, "I didn't mean to sound upset…"

"It's okay. Can I ask how it was?"

She nodded and replied, "It was one of the best things that ever happen to me."

He slightly smiled, "You were that much in love?"

She nodded again.

"It was the same for me and Pinkie. I honestly don't know what I was thinking the day before our wedding."

"You let your fear get the better of you. Look, I'm going to admit something but you cannot repeat it, okay?"

He said while making the gesture, "Cross my heart, hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye."

Satisfied by his answer she said outright, "I was scared to tell Soarin I loved him because I was afraid that if we got married we would end up resenting each other later and we would be stuck forever never having that same love again. But the more time we spent together I end up realizing that I rather be with him than anyone else. The arguments we had did scare me but I was willing to fight for him and he was willing to do the same. I saw the look she was giving you, Cheese, she missed you deeply and she wants to get back with you despite your stupid mistake. That's true love and take it from someone who never really thought of romance as a big deal before she met her soulmate that's saying something."

He smiled more, "I really hope we can get back what we had and forget the incident all together."

"I'm sure you will and when you two do try to tie the knot again make sure you do not repeat your mistake. Only then will you finally atone for your past deed and will receive happiness with the mare of your dreams."

He chuckled, "Spoken like a true romantic."

"Yeah, let's keep that between us, shall we?"

He laughed and nodded.

By then Pinkie came up to them with a suspicious look and pointed to them, "Should I be concern about this?"

Rainbow rolled her eyes, "Relax Pinkie, I was just giving this goofball some much needed advice."

"She's right. Besides, I may have ran off the day of our wedding but no other girl was able to replace you in my heart." giving her a tender look.

Pinkie's eyes went wide and was on the verge of joyful tears, "Really, Cheesy?"

"Really. My… Pinkie-Winkie…"

"Oh Cheesy! You haven't called me that in forever!" she moved in for a hug which he happily took. "I missed hearing you say that!"

Cheese grinned, "I'm just happy you missed me at all."

They kept embracing until Pinkie remembered who was watching and let go to apologize, "Oh, Dashie… I'm sorry, I didn't mean…"

Dash raised her hoof, "It's okay, look I'm not going to lie to say it doesn't hurt but as long as you have the one pony you truly love back in your arms then I am happy for you both." she made a tiny smile.

In one swoop, the pink pony hugged her tightly with her saying, "You're the best, Dashie!"

Rainbow let the hug continue as she watched the ocean again.

My love will be as constant as the sea. Soarin and I both loved the sea. So by loving the sea I love him as well. For as long as the sea still stands, my love will stand with it. For now and forever.