• Published 11th Mar 2018
  • 2,173 Views, 284 Comments

A Compass to the Soul - CartoonNerd12



Rainbow Dash has always want a life at sea but not in the way she thought. Tormented by her past, she tries to move on with her life but nightmares and memories keep reminding her what she had. Will she ever be free from her shadows?

  • ...
3
 284
 2,173

A Union for All Time

Discord gawked at what the couple was saying, "You want me to perform the ceremony?!"

Soarin replied, "Well yeah, I mean you are technically the 'ruler' of this fair isle so there's no one more qualified than you to do it."

Rainbow inquired when seeing draconequus's face, "Are you… crying?"

Discord was overwhelmed with joy but had to look away to deny, "No! Of course not! I just got sand in my eyes! We're surrounded by it after all!" motioning around his throne room.

But the couple merely smirked knowing the excuse was to hide the being's softer side.

The groom said, "Well thanks again, Discord, we really appreciate this."

"Yes, yes, now go on finish your wedding plans or whatever it is you engage couples do. I wouldn't know because I'm not lovey-dovey like that!"

Dash muttered, "Uh-ah… sure…" and left with her lover.

When he was sure they were gone, Discord got out a telescope and went to a nearby window to begin spying on the village. There he saw Big Mac with Sugar Belle rubbing noses tenderly making him go blech at the sight and quickly turned his attention to others. He saw the hippogriff Sliverstream making friends with Yona, Sandbar, Ocellus, Gallus, and Smolder on the beach. Then he saw Rumble and his friends playing with Terramar and the trio that called themselves the Cutie Mark Crusaders or whatever and he couldn't help but notice that Rumble and the orange filly kept looking at each other strangely.

"Very interesting…" Discord uttered, "I'll have to look into that later…"

He then turned his scope on Spike and Capper who seemed to squabbling while helping the pretty unicorn Rarity who was in the lead and not seeing the quarreling behind her as she was too lost in what she saying to notice. Next to them he saw Flash Sentry animatedly talking to Twilight Sparkle.

"Oh those poor miserable saps, just couldn't resist a pretty face…" he turned the telescope, "why you would never catch me going twitterpated over…" his eye in the lens got bigger as he exclaimed, "Hello! Who… is… that?!"

Through the lens he saw Fluttershy proving shade with a palm leaf to some baby turtles making their way to the ocean. The mare's pink hair reminded him of the pinkest dawn, her buttery coat of the brightest sun, and those eyes… oh those eyes could rival the sea, she was just so gorgeous!

But why was she is? As a creature of chaos it doesn't make sense for him to fall for such beauty but then again nothing made sense with him. But something within him made his heart go boom literally when he saw her so he decided to get a closer look…

He teleported into a coconut tree as he watched her wave goodbye to the little turtles.

"Good luck! And stay safe!" she said.

Applejack came up to her with a wooden bucket and inquired, "Sure that was all of them?"

"Yes, and they were all able to imprint so they can come back to have their own babies someday."

AJ chuckled, "I can think of someone else having babies once the marriage is good and sealed."

Fluttershy giggled, "I'm so happy for them. I mean I didn't think they would be so willing to do it this soon since they told us they wanted to have the wedding the way they would've had it."

"Glad they saw reason, now we can all enjoy their happy moment."

"What will you do after the wedding?"

"Well me, Big Mac, and Apple Bloom need to get back to Sweet Apple Plantation to see our granny again not to mention that Mac has to introduce Sugar Belle to her. What about you?"

"Me? Well I'm not sure, I should go back home to my family but this place has so many exotic creatures and animals that I don't like the idea of leaving."

Hearing that made Discord's heart swell.

"And Dashie will be staying too, so the thought of being apart from my dearest friend is unbearable. When she was on the run and being a pirate for Celaeno, I worried for her day and night but when she came and told me about the poisoning I actually had the courage to tell her I would go with her mainly because I couldn't stand to see my best friend hurt further and that I didn't want to waste my life away by not being there."

Applejack smiled, "Well I'm glad for you sugar cube. You took a chance and look what happen, without you we never would have known that was Soarin and they probably wouldn't have reunited the way they did."

Fluttershy blushed, "You… you really think so?"

The earth pony put her hoof around her, "I know so."

Discord didn't know how to react to this information, this mare was truly heaven sent for her kind nature and how she had a part in reuniting Soarin and Rainbow Dash.

The pegasus asked, "Oh, did you find what Rarity was asking for?"

"Well I did find a couple clams with pearls in them, but I still can't find four more of them."

Discord was intrigued and kept listening.

"Oh dear I hope we can find them before the ceremony, Rarity wanted each of us have a pearl to give to Dashie and then she could string them up into a bracelet for her to wear." she sighed.

A voice suddenly said surprising the girls, "That is a very sweet sentiment to be sure but I can do one better for you."

A yellow surge of magic went through the beach and dozens of clam shells came out and opened up revealing six big pearls while the rest were small. They landed in Applejack's bucket.

"What in tarnation?! Whose doing all of this?"

"I am." and Discord popped up to show himself.

"Mister Discord?" Fluttershy questioned in awe.

"Please," he chivalrously took her hoof and kissed it, "just call me Discord."

Fluttershy flushed at this and turned away to titter.

Applejack gawked at the scene before she voiced, "Well um, thanks for your help, we're mighty grateful for the assist."

"Well of course! It is for the bride after all!"

Fluttershy smiled brightly at him, "Thank you so much, Discord."

He bowed, "It was my pleasure, Miss Fluttershy, right?"

She tittered again, "You can call me Fluttershy."

They ended up staring fondly at each other making Applejack grab the bucket and told them, "I'll just… leave ya to it…" and went before it got even more awkward for her.

Applejack carried the bucket into the village where she found Rarity and that Capper and Spike were still squabbling over for Rarity's attention making the earth mare roll her eyes at the sight before going over to the unicorn.

"Oh Applejack darling! Did you find the pearls?"

"See for yourself." and showed her the bucket full of shiny orbs.

"Oh my goodness! That's more than enough!"

"Thought that would please ya, though I must be honest that is was Discord's doing, without his help we wouldn't even have six pearls for the gift."

"Huh, I'll have to properly thank him someday."

"No need, I think I know why he did it."

"Really what?"

"I don't like to gossip but I'm pretty sure he did it for Fluttershy considering how he took the credit in front of her obviously to impress her."

"Ooh! You don't say!"

She rolled her eyes again before she pointed, "Incidentally, Rarity I've been wondering if you have noticed Spike and Capper's behavior toward you."

"Behavior? Oh! You mean how they practically worship the ground I walk on, that kind of behavior?" she batted her eyes.

AJ frowned, "And that doesn't bother you?"

"Why should it? I mean it's very sweet of them to be attracted to me."

"But you're making them pit against each other! I mean just look behind ya!"

She did look and saw Capper and Spike were on the verge of tearing themselves apart making her gasp and shouted out, "Boys!"

They stopped midfight and slowly turned to face the object of their desires.

She scolded, "Is that anyway for best friends to treat each other?!"

They moved away from each other and hung their heads and said, "No…"

"No is right. Now don't get me wrong I am very flattered that you both wish to court me and I would be lying if I said I didn't want that, but I will not tolerate this sort of behavior when I know you're better than that. Now then do you have something to say to each other?"

Both cat and dragon faced each other and slowly shook hands, saying, "I'm sorry…"

Pleased with the result, Rarity stated, "That's better. And from this moment on, I'll be the one calling the shots. As soon as the wedding is over I will come to each of you for a date, does that sound fair?"

They smiled and nodded.

"Good. Now then, Capper go help Cheese decorate for the ceremony, your keen eye for detail will surely be needed. Spike help Pinkie prepare the feast from what I understand you've had your fair share of cooking and your fire breath will certainly be useful in that regard."

"Yes, Rarity." they said and went to fulfill their tasks.

"Wow, you really took charge there." Applejack commented.

"Well if it wasn't for you pointing out the problem I probably wouldn't have noticed it for a long time. So thank you."

"Hey, that's what friends are for."

"In the meantime, keep those priceless jewels safe while I go finish sewing Dash's wedding dress."

"Finish? But they only made the announcement just this morning!"

"Puh-leez, darling, I've been working on it since we found Soarin! I knew the wedding wasn't going to be too far off when they found each other." she winked.

Applejack could only shake her head.


Rainbow marveled at the sleeve-less bridal dress she was wearing with cowry looping around the back of the neck and exclaimed, "Rarity, this is so awesome! How did you know I would like this?!"

"Well naturally I figured you would want a simple and comfortable fabric to wear and to give the ability to still fly."

"Thank you! Thank you so much!"

Rarity giggled, "That's not all darling." and she took out a large pearl and then the other girls came in the hut carrying their pearls.

Dash was confused on what was going on until Rarity explained, "We each have a pearl as a symbol of our friendship." and gave Rainbow her own pearl.

The cyan mare was touched to say the least as Rarity used her magic to string the smaller pearls together before taking Pinkie's pearl and added it on, then she repeated the process with Twilight's, Applejack's, her's, Fluttershy's, then finally Rainbow's.

"It was going to be a bracelet at first but this is much better." and put the pearl crown right on Dash's head.

The mares looked on in awe to Dash's look.

Fluttershy softly uttered, "Oh Dashie, you look so beautiful…" with tears coming out of her eyes.

"Thanks Flutters, I'm glad you're here since my parents couldn't be…" sadness dripped from her voice.

"I know… but they would be so proud of you right now."

She smiled, "I know…" and they quickly hugged each other.

Scootaloo came in then and exclaimed, "Wow!"

Dash beamed, "I know right? Your mom looks good doesn't she?"

"Heck yeah!"

"You don't look so bad either kiddo, ready to be the flowergirl?"

"Yup!" she grabbed into her basket and threw lei petals up.

Rarity magically put the petals back and stated, "Save those for the ceremony, dear."

"Sorry…" she blushed.

Flash then knocked on the entrance and gawked at the bride before shaking his head and told them, "Whenever you are ready."

The girls gushed and got into a group hug before lining up.

Scootaloo took the lead as she exited out of the hut and went straight to the beach where everyone was waiting by a large firepit as the fire blazed on. Soarin while wearing all white and had a seashell brooch was by Discord who was behind a makeshift podium to officiate.

Scootaloo threw the petals around with glee making Rumble gush at the sight when she passed by him.

By then the girls came out as they took their place as bridesmaids and faced the ushers that were Flash, Big Mac, Spike, Cheese, and Capper.

Then all heads turned to see the bride coming.

Soarin couldn't believe his eyes, never had he seen his beloved so radiant. The moon shone over her like a spotlight and it amplified her beauty in that moment.

Once she got closer she smiled at her soon-be-husband admiring how amazing he looked himself. Then she stopped next to him as they kept looking at each other before turning to face Discord.

The draconequus cleared his throat, "Dearly beloved, we gather here today to join- yadda- yadda- we have heard this speech a million times, so I'm just going to cut to the chase and let the lovebirds recite their vows then we'll get on with the 'I dos', how's that?"

"Sounds good to me." Soarin said as he faced his love, "Dash…" he sighed, "where can I even begin to say this…" and took a deep breath, "From the first time I knew you, you were the one for me. And through some miracle you felt the same way about me… These last two years being apart from you were awful just awful, I kept thinking of you and only you. I dreaded that we had lost the life we going to have for good, but now… now that we're here standing right next to each other I can't think of a better future for us than this one where it's just us," and he looked at Scootaloo and stated, "All of us…"

The filly looked like she was about to cry of happiness and that went for the rest of the crowd too especially Yona who had to use a hanky to blow her nose and it made a foghorn noise.

Dash looked like she going to cry too but kept it in as she started her own speech, "Soarin… I thought I had lost you to death. That I was never going hear your laugh or your horrible jokes again, and that I would never get to see your smile again and how it always lifted me up… But I am so, so happy that wasn't the case. You're here and I hope it stays that way for many years to come. I will stay by your side until the final days of our lives. I will be there for all the trials life has to offer, I will always remain loyal to you, and finally I will be there for you no matter what."

The crowd awed.

Soarin's smile brighten as he proclaimed, "I will also stay by your side until the final days of our lives. I will be there for all the trials life has to offer, I will also remain loyal to you, and I will be there for you no matter the outcome."

Crying could be heard throughout the assembly with Pinkie having the waterworks flooding out of the eyes, shouting out, "This is too beautiful!"

This made Discord call out, "Okay-okay-okay! We get the gist, vows of eternal love and whatnot, so let's get this over with so we can have cake!"

That lightened the mood a little bit as people laughed.

"Now then," he motioned to Soarin, "Do you take Rainbow Dash to be your lawful wedded wife etc, etc, for all intents and purposes… Do you or do you not?"

He looked right at his bride as he said, "I do."

"Excellent! And do you Rainbow Dash take Soarin to be your lawful wedded husband with no exchanges or refunds, do you or do you not?"

She eyed Soarin lovingly and stated, "I do."

"Wonderful! Now the power vested in me by the island of chaos, I now pronounce you, Husband and Wife, you may now smooch the bride."

They didn't waste a moment as they went into a deep and passionate kiss as everyone cheered or whooped on.


The reception was one mega party that was bigger than the feast they had a few nights prior. Music was played by the different cultures of the throng. And half of the people were dancing especially for those that had a special someone. The bride and groom were dancing by the fire and with a mutual look they twirled around it to make the fire swirly before the finish that made the fire shot toward the heavens in a big whoosh. The crowd went wild over that.

Rainbow smugly told her friends, "Hey, can't have anyone upstaging at my own wedding, now can I?"

To which they replied to this with an eye roll.

Finally as the night wore on it began to die down as Rarity, Applejack, and Thunderlane reined in the kids.

"You'll be staying with us for the night Scootaloo." Rarity said.

"But why?"

"Er, well… it's because there's this thing called a honeymoon that's after the ceremony and it requires for your parents to have some special alone time."

"You mean to have sex?" Rumble asks.

The mares were appalled by this and glared at Thunderlane.

The stallion sweated, "Well um… he's getting to that age and needs to know what happens…"

Needless to say they were not impressed.

Apple Bloom questioned, "What's sex?"

Applejack firmly replied, "Something we'll discuss in the future but not now. It's off to bed with you missy." nudging her sister along.

Rarity told Sweetie and Scootaloo, "And that goes for you too."

The girls groaned and went into Rarity's hut.


As the newlyweds neared Soarin's hut, he flapped up to pick up his wife bridal-style and they exchanged a kiss.

"Well… this is it…" he said.

"Yeah… kind-of crazy…"

He chuckled, "Maybe but it'll be worth it."

"Hey, as long as I can be on top then we're good."

"Whatever my bride wants…" he nuzzled her face before taking her inside.