• Published 11th Mar 2018
  • 2,208 Views, 284 Comments

A Compass to the Soul - CartoonNerd12



Rainbow Dash has always want a life at sea but not in the way she thought. Tormented by her past, she tries to move on with her life but nightmares and memories keep reminding her what she had. Will she ever be free from her shadows?

  • ...
3
 284
 2,208

The Quest

The next morning, it was bright and early as Rainbow and Soarin looked at the map Daring and Twilight made for them. Figuring the Water Rose would only show to the two faithful hearts it was best that they went on their own.

Their friends gave them their farewells and good lucks, then they addressed Scootaloo and Rumble separately.

Dash told the filly, "Stay here with Applejack and Twilight."

She nodded then hung her head.

"Hey, what's wrong?"

"It's just… am I still your daughter after disobeying you and now that Soarin is back…"

The mare embraced her, "Hey, hey, of course you are… And just because Soarin is back in my life doesn't mean you won't be. That's something I have to discuss with him."

Scootaloo felt a little better but still worried.

Soarin told Rumble, "Stay with Flash and Big Mac and listen to them, okay?"

The colt saluted, "Yes, sir."

The older stallion patted his head, "That's a good boy."

The couple turned back to each other then told the kids, "And try to get along with each other, okay?"

Rumble and Scootaloo eyed each other distrustfully.

She bitterly muttered, "I will, if he will…"

He humphed, "Same goes for her."

The engaged couple didn't feel assured by that but they had no choice since they had to get going. They faced the jungle terrain, nodding together then they stepped between the flora and fauna and disappeared from view.


Rainbow Dash and Soarin walked the jungle path while various animal noises filled the air around them.

Deciding it was best time to bring up the topic, Soarin slowly started, "So, um… I heard that there was a "misunderstanding" after you heard my ship went down."

She deeply sighed, "Fluttershy told you?"

"Well her, Applejack, and Rarity, but yeah."

"You don't… believe it?"

"Of course not! In fact I'm upset that Spitfire and Fleetfoot could ever think…" his teeth clenched.

She smiled at him, "I'm so glad to hear you say that."

"Dash, we made a vow to trust each other no matter what, of course I believe you."

"It's just… there were moments after I ran that I thought maybe they were right, what if I was so grief stricken that I didn't know what I was doing at the time and…" she felt his wing around her.

"Dashie… no, I know you, you're loyal to a fault. Stealing is way beneath you no matter what you're feeling."

Without her realizing it, tears fell from her eyes and moved to his chest, "Soar! It was horrible! I was being accused out of nowhere and they used my dagger as proof! And all that time I was thinking of you and how much I wished you were there!"

Soarin held her close and let her sobs drenched his coat, his own eyes wet from the idea of his beloved getting hurt like that. Serving in the Navy was a lifelong dream of hers and suddenly it was taken from her when she was at her weakest.

He uttered, "I never should have left…"

She muttered back, "You didn't have a choice. It was an order and you know it."

"Still… I could have done something to prevent this…"

She faced him, "No, as much as that hurt, your death… that hurt way more…"

There was a pause then he said as he caressed her face, "Being apart from you was the worst experience I ever had in my life… Two Celestia forsaken years… I worried for you day and night on that island, all I wanted was to get back and be with you like we had planned."

A small smile formed on her lips, "You know… we are still technically engaged."

His own smile formed.

"However… there's the matter of our future, by Equestrian law I'm an outcast so we can't get married there until my name's been cleared if it can… And then there's Scootaloo, I can't just abandon her after I took her in, I need to know if you'll accept her as if she were your own."

"Oh Dashie, yes. Yes, I will. Besides you know we wanted kids. She'll be our first with hopefully more on the way." he winked.

She rolled her eyes playfully.

"But um… I need to bring this up. In case the Water Rose doesn't cure Rumble's brother, I'll need to keep him around until he's old enough. But if I'm being honest he's like a son to me so…" he winced.

She cringed, "Yeah, unless Scootaloo and him can get along like we told them to, I don't think them living under the same roof is a good idea."

Then suddenly they heard a rumbling causing them to go quiet and stood on their guard and out of nowhere the ground shook and a large Tatzlwurm popped out of the land! It roared at them showing off his three tongues wiggling.

The couple went into battle mode and flew up to face the creature.

Rainbow started, "I'll hit him high…"

Soarin finished, "And I'll hit him low!"

In joint movements, they flew in sync and hit the beast in the positions they declared and it felt like they had never been separated for those last two years. Both Soarin and Rainbow smiled at each other thinking they were still the strong team they were at the academy.

Finally the Tatzlwurm decided to give up and with a low growl it ran back into the ground.

The pegasi couple flew back down and embraced each other.

With half-lidded eyes she told him, "Nice to know we haven't lost our touch."

He replied with a smirk, "Yeah… except I noticed your punches weren't as effective as before."

She playfully yelled, "What?! Yeah right!"

He laughed as she smacked him with her wing.


They continued down the path and had come across a few more obstacles but they had overcome them without much strife.

Finally they reached three spectacular waterfalls with lush scenery around them that made the entire place have a romantic atmosphere to it. Rainbow looked at the map and commented, "This is it. This is where Daring's drawing ends."

Soarin looked too and mentioned, "I guess we have to wait and see what happens."

She stared at the pool before them and a slow smile spread across her face, "Or maybe we can…" she flapped up and made a flip midair while shouting, "Cannonball!" before splashing into the water.

Soarin exclaimed, "Hey!" then with a smirk decided to join her and landed in the water too.

They laughed and splashed at each other then chased each other around the pond. They ended up on a ledge next to one of the waterfalls where they affectionately nuzzled and kissed. They leaned against the rock wall until Dash noticed a large hole behind the waterfall.

She turned her fiancé's head to look and he did. They stared at it for a bit before they exchanged a nod and walked toward the cave. They saw the inside where cave drawings covered the entire area. The couple was in awe of the drawings, the Kirin or some other native species must've done this thousands of years ago.

The drawings looked like they were describing a great battle between ponies and other species before the creatures scattered all over. Then it showed the ponies pledging themselves to the sun goddess Celestia and the moon goddess Luna. Then the ponies looked like they are exploring other lands before attacking the population occupying the land and stealing it for themselves.

Both Soarin and Rainbow gulped and exchanged a look of guilt.

Dash commented, "Celaeno was right to distrust me when we met. Because if ponies have been doing this sort of thing for years and years then what reason did she have to believe me when I was trying to escape."

Soarin nodded, "When I was on the island it took me awhile to trust Spike and Capper and every other creature that lived there, except Discord, he's someone you cannot underestimate."

"Our bias toward other species has been deeply rooted in Equestria. Heck didn't we have that civil war between pegasi, unicorns, and earth ponies in the medieval times? All because they thought one race was better than the other?"

Soarin sighed, "I'm so glad we got past that moment…"

Then they turned to another drawing and were surprised by what it was saying. In the drawing, ponies and creatures alike were together and happy like they were friends and not enemies. They realized another drawing before that was smudged and it was hard to make out what it was about.

Soarin muttered, "Strange…"

Dash agreed, "Very strange…"

Finally they turned their heads to the end of the cave where a stone wall with odd symbols and designs on it was at and slowly they approached it. Getting a closer look, they saw two circles next to each other making them gawk.

They both said, "You don't think…?" then took out their glowing compasses. With a determined nod they silently counted to three and at once put the compasses in the circles.

At first nothing happened until the wall suddenly moved up revealing a hidden chamber!

The couple stared at it then they held hooves saying, "Together." they walked in as glowing pink crystals lit up the room as they stepped in. They gasped when seeing a giant fountain with a statue of the deity, Mi Amore Cadenza the Goddess of Love on top.

They looked in the fountain to see a big bright red rose head in a bubble. They looked at each other with a bright grin on their faces. They did it. Their search was over.