• Published 11th Mar 2018
  • 2,167 Views, 284 Comments

A Compass to the Soul - CartoonNerd12



Rainbow Dash has always want a life at sea but not in the way she thought. Tormented by her past, she tries to move on with her life but nightmares and memories keep reminding her what she had. Will she ever be free from her shadows?

  • ...
3
 284
 2,167

Dropping In

Applejack motioned, "Let me get this straight, not only did I reunite with my brother and Soarin almost reunited with Rainbow Dash, but Twilight could have reunited with Spike too?!" pointing to the dragon in disbelief.

Rarity stood next to him and Capper telling her, "That would be correct, darling."

"Unbelievable!" the first mate exclaimed.

Flash commented, "It's official, something very strange is going on here."

Soarin nodded, "Agreed, our paths crossed for a reason not only to be reunited with our love ones but for a greater purpose."

Applejack stated, "This has to be the will of Celestia."

Capper pointed, "Indeed, as much as I don't believe in your pony goddesses, I'm sensing a lot of divine intervention here."

Spike nodded, "You would be foolish to not to."

Rarity asked Applejack, "How should we go about this?"

"Well for starters, we need to keep our course to South Amareica because that was where Dash wanted us to go before that storm happened. And after all this, I got a feelin' that's where we need to go."

Soarin inquired with hope, "You think that's where she would be?"

"I sure as hope so, Soarin. I sure as hope so…"


The next morning had arrived much sooner than Cheese would have like it but he knew that his beloved and her friends were on a tight schedule and needed to get to South Amareica proto.

He told them as they went to the docks, "Take my boat it'll get you there faster."

He pointed to a fairly large sailboat and the girls went in with supplies intact.

Pinkie leaned against the side with a sad smile on her face, "Thank you, Cheesy."

Twilight asked, "Are you sure you don't want to come with us?"

He shook his head, "This is your mission, I'll just get in the way. Besides, I might run into your crew and would be able to tell them where you are."

Pinkie brighten at the idea, "Ooh! That is a good point! Good thinking, Cheesy!"

He blushed, "Aw, anything for you my Pinkie-Winkie."

Rainbow rolled her eyes playfully, "Okay, you lovebirds it's time we get going."

The couple held hooves as Pinkie said, "We'll come back for you, Pinkie-promise."

He smiled, "I'll be waiting."

They quickly rubbed noses before slowly letting go and waved goodbye to each other as Rainbow Dash moved the boat out of the harbor.


After some time had passed while they were on the open sea, Rainbow decided to give Scootaloo some sailing lessons. While that happen Pinkie was sighing in forlorn as she prepared lunch and Twilight was charting their course from the map Cheese gave her.

Suddenly out of nowhere a dark shadow overcast them even though there was not a cloud was in the sky, making them look up to see a strange upside down onion shape slowly falling down and voice shouted out.

"INCOMING!"

They yelped as the thing came crashing down on to their boat!

A large piece of fabric landed on top of them making them thrash about to get out of it.

"What in the name of Celestia is this?!" demanded Rainbow once they were free.

Another figure was thrashing about in the fabric and came out with a sputter and started to apologize, "I beg your pardon but I was having trouble with my balloon and-"

Rainbow gasped, "Quibble Pants?!"

Quibble saw her and did a double take, "Rainbow Dash? Wha- what are you doing here? Where is your ship?!"

She explained, "We got separated from the crew due to a bad storm, Pinkie's fiancé was nice enough to lend us his boat to get to South Amareica."

Though confused on what that last part meant, Quibble just went with it.

Twilight curiously eyed the thing Quibble was in before the crash and inquired, "Is this what I think it is? An actual working hot air balloon that only great invention books have mentioned?!" her eyes gleamed.

Quibble smugly replied, "It most certainly is. I got it from a colleague of mine."

Rainbow pointed, "So that's why you sent that letter to me! You knew this was the fastest way to get South Amareica!"

"That's right." he smirked.

Pinkie questioned, "But why did it break down just now? Why if we hadn't been here, you have could have dropped straight into the ocean and drown!"

"That's… a really good point, Quib." Rainbow commented.

Quibble's smile faltered and grumbled, "My burners were going on the fritz… Luckily I was able to see the boat and steer toward you before they went out completely. So yes, maybe I was…" her muttered under his breath, "more or less in trouble…"

Scootaloo tapped Rainbow making her realize, "Oh, Quibble! Come meet my daughter!" motioning the young filly forward.

He exclaimed, "What?! You have a daughter?! When did that happen?!"

"Just a couple of weeks ago, we found her as a stowaway and I officially adopted her recently."

"Yup," the young pegasus held out her hoof, "my name is Scootaloo."

The stallion shook it, "Nice to meet you." he turned back to Dash, "Though I'm not going to lie, I never pictured you as the motherly type, Rainbow Dash."

That caused Pinkie and Twilight to stifle their giggles.

Rainbow sarcastically replied, "Ha-ha, very funny."

Quibble went on, "Well it is true, after all, what do you know about raising a filly? You told me you were an only child so you had no brothers or sisters to give you experience and you never babysat other pony's child so what makes you think you can do this?"

"Ugh! You and Applejack both! Seriously! Do I really come across as a horrible mother?!"

Scootaloo mentioned, "I don't think you are…"

Rainbow smiled at her and rubbed her head, "Of course you don't."

Quibble gestured, "I'm just saying that you adopting a filly is strange. It's so not like you to give up your freedom to raise a kid."

"Give up my freedom? Who said anything like that?!"

"Hey, raising a kid takes a lot of hard work. I've seen many parents give up things for their child so they can be happy. Think you can do that?"

Rainbow was taken aback by the question; of course she wanted Scootaloo to be happy but if what Quibble said was true about making sacrifices and recalling Applejack's lecture about keeping Scootaloo safe from harm started to make her realize that maybe being a parent wasn't all that it was crack up to be.

She shook her head, she would have to worry about this later. Right now they had a job to do and said outright, "Well, I don't have time to answer that right now, because we got to focus on the task at hoof."

Quibble mumbled under his breath, "You could have said yes or no…"

She heard that but ignored him like she usually did with their exchanges.

Since their first meeting together she and Quibble did get along for the most part and at one point he did try to court her like Zephyr tried to with his letters but as it was she was still in love with Soarin despite him being gone and told Quibble as such and thankfully he respected her decision unlike Zephyr.

She went back to steering the boat with Scootaloo next to her. Twilight offered to help Quibble with his balloon so it wasn't in the way just as Pinkie went back to making lunch.

The rest of the trip took most the afternoon but then… a sign of land came into view. It was a row of treetops belonging to a jungle. Upon seeing this, Rainbow knew her journey was about to come to an end as she thought.

Almost there, Celaeno. Just a little longer…

Quibble commented, "This is it, the place where we can find the rare Water Rose."

Scootaloo inquired, "Water Rose?"

Quibble explained, "It's a flower that can heal any ailment, I first learn about it from Professor Stygian's books before he disappeared. He was my mentor."

"Why did he disappear?" Pinkie asked.

"I really don't know. One day, I was working on a report from him when I found him gone and he never came back. It was very strange, so I asked anyone that knew his whereabouts and my search led me to take a ship that is until it was overrun by that dastardly pirate Caballeron and I got capture."

Rainbow smirked and nudged the stallion, "Then I had to come in and rescue your sorry hide."

Quibble rolled his eyes, "Yes, so you keep reminding me…"

Using the map, Twilight was able to point out the location to the village that Cheese told them about.

Rainbow with Scootaloo's help steered the boat to a beach where many huts on four poles were at. The group could also see who the villagers were. From what Twilight and Quibble gathered they were the species known as the Kirin but from the looks of it they weren't too thrilled at seeing them.

Pinkie noticed and mentioned, "Uh-oh, I don't think we're going to get a welcoming committee."

Scootaloo asked Rainbow, "What do we do?"

Twilight pointed, "Well we certainly cannot fight them, maybe one of us should go down and try to establish some form of communication telling them we mean no harm."

Dash challenged, "Are you volunteering then?"

Twilight looked at the villagers again seeing the hard scowls on their faces and cringed. "Uh, maybe not…"

Suddenly out of nowhere a figure swung from the treetops and landed on the deck of the boat, the figure lifted their head to reveal a young beige pegasus mare with a salt and pepper mane and tail in adventurer attire.

The mare reprimanded them, "You trespassing on sacred land, get out."

Dash gapped while taking a good look at the mare, "Wait! Aren't you, Daring Do?"

"Who wants to know?" Daring suspiciously asked.

"My name is Rainbow Dash. This is Twilight Sparkle, Quibble Pants, Scootaloo, and Pinkie Pie."

"Pinkie Pie?" Daring's eyes widen, "As in Cheese Sandwich's girl?"

The pink pony made a bright grin, replying, "Yes-a-diddly! We came across him at a tavern and told us to find you!"

Twilight motioned, "It's true! We need your help to guide us into jungle."

Daring furrowed her brow, "For what exactly?"

Quibble stepped in, "The Water Rose, it's a special flower that can-"

"Heal all ailments. I know."

Quibble frowned at her interruption.

Twilight inquired, "You know where it is?"

Daring stated, "Not quite. There's important legend tied to it that makes it impossible to find the flower."

Scootaloo asked, "Like what?"

"The Water Rose can only be found by two hearts that have remained faithful to each other no matter the circumstances."

Rainbow threw her hooves in air frustrated, "Well that's just great! One of my best friends is dying from a poison and we can't even get to the stupid flower because of a stupid legend!"

Daring's eyes widen again, questioning, "Dying? Someone is dying?"

Twilight quickly filled the expeditionist in on Dash's story making the mare gawk on all she heard.

"Whoa… You really went through all that?"

Rainbow somberly nodded.

"Then…" Daring put on a determined face, "I'll help you in any way I can."

The group was surprised but happy.

Daring Do went to the side the boat to address the villagers, "It's alright! They come in peace!" she got off with the newcomers right behind her as she elucidated, "The Kirin trust me to keep their home safe from intruders coming in to steal their land or treasures."

"How long have you been here?" Rainbow queried.

"About a year or so, I came here to explore this part of South Amareica when I came across the village and how it was having trouble with that pirate, Caballeron."

Quibble complained, "Doesn't that stallion ever stop taking what isn't his?!"

"I take you ran into him before?"

"I should say so!"

Dash gestured, "Quibble's just upset that he was taken hostage by him and it was up to me to rescue him."

"Will you stop bringing that up in front of every pony?!"

Rainbow stuck out her tongue.

Daring asked Quibble, "Do you just like to complain a lot?"

Dash laughed, "Ha! You have no idea!"

Daring referred to the stallion, "In that case, a bit of advice before when we start our quest tomorrow, it would be a good idea to keep your screaming howler zipped when we're in the jungle."

Quibble froze in place and started sputtering nonstop.

Daring went to him and placed a hoof on his mouth, explaining, "We don't need you chatting up a storm if it's just going to break our concentration especially when there are wild animals we need to be on the alert for."

Rainbow had to hold in her giggles reveling at the fact that there was someone at last that could put Quibble Pants in his place. But then catching what she said she questioned, "Why do we have to wait until tomorrow?"

"For starters," she pointed to the sun slowly lowering in the distance, "it's getting late and too dangerous to go into the jungle close at night. Second, I would think all of you would appreciate resting up from your trip."

Pinkie indicated, "She's got a point there!"

Scootaloo ended up yawning as if proving the point.

Rainbow rolled her eyes, "Ugh, fine."


The sun was sinking into the ocean with the stars and moon showing up. The S.S Rainboom had been sailing all day with Soarin at the helm. Applejack had told him that they could take turns but he insisted on steering the ship. The First Mate figured it was because this was closest he was going to get to reuniting with his beloved given it was her ship and he wanted to take care of it in her absence.

But as it was getting late now she told him, "You know it's getting late, maybe you should let me take over so you can get some rest."

Soarin answered, "Thank you, but no."

"There's no point in wearying yerself out, we'll find her soon enough."

"Easy for you to say, you already got a reunion."

Her eyes widen in shock and Soarin immediately regretted saying that, "I'm- I'm sorry… that was very rude of me to say that."

"Well, rude or not, I can understand where you're goin' at and I can't say that I blame you."

He softly chuckled, "You're just like your brother, very understanding…"

She smiled, "It runs in the family."

"Still, I want to thank you for putting up with me."

"Ha! That's nothin'! Your fiancée is much worse! How you ever decided to let her be your wife, I shall never know!"

He chuckled more loudly, "We're kind of funny that way."

"Now I can why she choose you, you have that sense of calm that she needs in her life when she's not acting brash or anything like that."

He smirked, "I like to think so too."

"But you are definitely as stubborn as she is given your behavior all day."

He made a sigh and moved away from the helm.

Applejack took over and gently steered.

Shortly afterwards a shout came from the crow's nest.

Derpy yelled out, "Applejack! Lights up ahead!"

Sure enough there were lights all around on a nearby rocky island.

Applejack called out to the crew, "All hooves make for that island!"

"Aye-aye!" they said and they sailed toward the place.