• Published 11th Mar 2018
  • 2,173 Views, 284 Comments

A Compass to the Soul - CartoonNerd12



Rainbow Dash has always want a life at sea but not in the way she thought. Tormented by her past, she tries to move on with her life but nightmares and memories keep reminding her what she had. Will she ever be free from her shadows?

  • ...
3
 284
 2,173

The Battle for Equestria

Neighsay shouted to the intruder, "How dare you come before me without permission! Guards! Arrest her!"

The guards started to rush her but were stopped as the semi-unicorn used a strange black and green orb and threw it at the stallions making them turned to stone!

Dash, Soarin, and Neighsay gasped to this development.

The pony then announced, "Rude, rude, siccing the guards on me when I am only trying to deliver a message."

"Who are you?" the king demanded.

"I am called Tempest Shadow and I come before you on behalf of my master… The Storm King…"

Neighsay gasped before he hollered, "You would dare serve with that monster?! To go against your own people?!"

"I would. But my reasons are entirely my own and as such I must now ask for your complete and total surrender…"

Soarin and Rainbow Dash glowered at the demand and Neighsay was just as upset and he yelled, "Never! I will never surrender my kingdom to that monster!"

Tempest chuckled, "I was hoping you would choose… difficult…" she turned to go as she said, "You have until sunset to change your mind or else watch your precious kingdom go down into flames… Farewell." and she left without another word.

Neighsay was grinding his teeth and ordered to his advisors, "Get me Captain Spitfire!"


Within in minutes Spitfire joined them in the throne room along with Twilight, Flash, Fluttershy, Thunderlane, Quibble Pants and Clear Sky as they were given the update of what has happened. Then Spitfire quickly summoned Fleetfoot and asked her to fly ahead to see where the Storm King's fleet was.

The pegasus did as she was told and after some time of waiting, she finally came back but with a dreadful look on her face and that alone told everyone that wasn't a good sign.

Fleetfoot uttered out, "It's… it's… it's armada, a big humongous armada! The Navy alone doesn't stand a chance!" she grabbed her captain's shirt in dismay, "We won't survive!"

The advisors started to panic while Dash and Soarin's group were worried about the outcome and huddled together.

"We need to do something!" Dash declared.

"Yes, but what?" Twilight inquired.

They thought it over until Fluttershy's eyes widen and started running out of the room much to her friends' surprise.

RD called out, "Fluttershy! Where are you going?!"

"Just follow me!" she called back.

While confused by what she meant they did as she said.


Fluttershy ran all the way into the harbor and then she took a whistle out and blew into it but nothing came out. At first her friends were concerned about her wellbeing until Discord popped out of nowhere saying, "I heard your call my sweet! What can I do?"

Soarin immediately told the draconequus, "We need reinforcements! The Storm King is on his way here and the Navy isn't strong enough to take him on!"

"Ah! Is that so! Well then just leave everything to me!" he was about to snap his fingers but Rainbow stopped him.

"Wait! At least give me back my colors first!"

Discord rolled his eyes and pointed his glowing finger at her and slowly she rose up as her colors spread from her hooves and all the way to her mane.

When she was completely restored to her true self she was lifted down with the sound of her hooves touching the ground.

Soarin then turned to Twilight and pointed to his beard. The unicorn understood and removed the face hair.

Then together the couple undid their fancy manestyles and shook their hair free returning to their normal styles.

Discord then popped out and exactly five minutes later, five glowing yellow portals opened up around the harbor. The closest one on their left had Discord coming out with Capper, Spike and everyone else from the island! The next portal had a ship coming out but not just any ship it was the S.S Rainboom! Where Applejack was steering it and her family and half of the original crew was on board! The next portal had Daring Do swing in from a vine with the Kirin villagers right at her feet! Then the next portal had another ship come into the harbor with General Seaspray at the helm and next to him was the royal family and swimming next to the ship was their people in seapony form. And finally the last portal was small and above the other portals and Pinkie Pie and Cheese Sandwich fell out of it with Cheese landing on Pinkie.

Flash asked, "Is that everyone?"

Rainbow proclaimed, "Not quite." then she made a bird call and right on cue Captain Celaeno and her crewmates leaped off their ship and joined the rest.

Spitfire came on to the scene then with Fleetfoot and the rest of the senior officers and they gawked in awe of the large army that was before them. Then her friends approached her with a salute.

"We await your command, Captain." Soarin said.

Spitfire shook her head and stated, "In my book experience outranks everything and you two definitely qualify for that…" she saluted them while telling them, "I await your commands, Captains…"

They were stunned at her words and turned to see their old comrades doing the same thing leaving them very touched at the sight.

Applejack then approached Rainbow Dash with her captain's hat and Discord did the same handing Soarin a tricorn hat and together the two put on the hats on and the crowd around them cheered.

With a shared determined look the couple began to shout out different orders.

Rainbow motioned, "Twilight, Pinkie, Fluttershy, Rarity, and Applejack we need to get word to everypony on land to evacuate the city! Go!"

Soarin pointed to Spitfire and the officers, "Get the rest of the fleet and join the hippogriffs with their ship!"

RD shouted, "Celaeno, you and the Rainboom crew take your ship to go with them!" then she gestured, "Daring, you and the Kirin line up along the beach!"

Soar added, "Thunderlane, Quibble, Clear Sky, Big Mac and Sugar Belle go with them!"

The kids from the ship and island ran up to them as Scootaloo asked, "What about us?"

Rainbow stated, "You young lady will be staying with your grandparents until this is all over!"

Scoots started to protest, "But-but-but…"

Soarin declared, "You heard your Mother!" he looked at the other kids and pointed, "And the rest of you will be joining her!"

There was a large groan especially from the teenaged Young Six.

"But we're old enough to help!" Smolder proclaimed.

"Yeah!" the other five agreed.

Rainbow sighed, "Fine, you can help but only as a last resort! That said you can join the others on the beach but that's it!"

The Young Six were thrilled by this arrangement.

The mare turned to the younger kids, "The rest of you however will not be part of it and that's final!"

Worry overwhelmed Scootaloo then, fearing the worst of what could happen to her parents.

The kids were then taken to Bow and Windy's as the kids and their parents or parental figures had to depart ways for the upcoming battle.

Scootaloo tightly hugged her parents, "Please be safe…"

Rainbow told her, "We will Scoots, I promise."

Soarin nodded, "That's right, we'll be back before you know it."

Dash chuckled, "That Storm King isn't going to know what hit him!"

Next to the family, Rumble and Thunderlane shared a heartfelt hug as the older brother ruffled his younger brother's mane, saying, "I'll be back for you when this is over."

Rumble asked with big eyes, "Promise?"

"Of course!" and hugged him again before going and Soarin and Dash joined him.

Scootaloo and Rumble waved them off with the colt uttered under his breath, "We're going to sneak out and look after them, right?"

Scootaloo uttered back, "Oh yeah."


Rainbow inspected over their large army from above to see everyone was in place. Every adult and teenager from the island was on the beach with the Kirin and Daring Do. The Equestrian fleet was with the hippogriff ship and Celaeno's ship with the seaponies in the water lined up in the front. That just left one more thing to do.

She flew straight to her ship and landed next to her husband that was at the helm. Below them was their closest compadres comprising of the Mane Five, Spike, Capper, Flash, Cheese, and Discord.

"Ready, Captain Soarin?" she smiled.

"Ready, Captain Rainbow Dash." he smiled back.

They looked down seeing their friends saluting them as they shouted, "Ready at your command, Captains!"

RD motioned, "Applejack, Spike, Flash, ready the sails!"

Soarin pointed, "Capper, Discord, man the riggings!"

The crewmates jumped to their tasks and the ship was ready to sail. Both husband and wife steered the ship that went in front of the other ships.

It was almost sunset at this point as everyone from land or sea looked to the horizon. They waited in silence with the wind calmly blowing around them. Then slowly it picked up and there was a dark cloud that grew with blue lightning coming out followed by the sound of thunder. Then slowly but surely a mass of dark ships started appearing and they just kept on growing…

Everyone gawked at the sight.

"Whoa…" Rainbow uttered.

Soarin could only nod dumbfoundly.

Then she frowned and said to their crew, "Prepare to fight, if we die we die with honor." then added, "Though try not to die if you can."

Her husband replied, "Never again…" and took out his compass making her do the same and the objects glowed together. "As Luna as our witness we will fight for Equestria, for our lives, and for our daughter."

Dash made a determined look, repeating, "For our daughter…"

They clanged the compasses together then put them back on as they faced the approaching enemy.

The storm behind the armada was getting worst and on the leading ship was Tempest Shadow who made a chuckle.

"Aw, isn't that cute… they think they can defend their beloved land…" she turned back to face her master.

The Storm King stood there holding his magical staff, "Then we'll just have to run them through!"

"At once, Your Excellency." she then gave the command to go faster to the monstrous helmsman and he did just that.

The Captains could see the head boat was fast approaching them and RD said, "Get ready…"

The ship collided into the port side of their ship and the pirates started swinging in making the Rainboom crew to start defending themselves. Discord was able to use his magic to stop most of the creatures to which Tempest noticed and growled and threw another black and green orb at him.

But Fluttershy saw it coming and screamed while flying to him, "DISSSSCCCORRDDD!" and was able to push him out of the way as the orb hit her and turned her into a dark statue.

There were horrified collective gasps as the girls had to bear witness to what happened.

"FLUTTERSHY!" they screamed.

Discord was on his side and gasped as well seeing the mare he cared for in such a state. Then his eyes burned with hatred as he released magical surges to take his revenge but unfortunately it didn't last long as he too got hit by an orb and now shared Fluttershy's fate.

Rainbow fought as she ran to Twilight, "We got to do something about that!" pointing to Tempest.

Twilight glared, "Leave her… to me…" and she charged up her horn and ran straight to Tempest and blasted at her.

Tempest was taken aback at first before she smirked and charged her own horn as the sparks grew in volumes and the two unicorns had at it.

While Twilight was busy with Tempest the others were still fighting off the Storm King's minions and Capper was riding on top of Spike woohooing as the dragon swooped in to blow fire on them especially since they saw their lady love being overwhelmed by the creatures and quickly acted.

Rarity was impressed and blew them a kiss.

Meanwhile the rest of the armada had caught up and were fighting against the fleet either by shooting from cannons or battling firsthand on the ships. While in the sea, the seaponies were using their tails to beat against the oncoming boats make them rock. As for the royal hippogriff family they used their talons and beaks to ward off the Storm creatures. But some the ships were able break through the first line of defenses and the minions started storming the beach but every pony or creature on there was ready and began to fight.

Throughout the entire time, it was one giant battle as the good and bad fought it out and suffered minor injuries.

The only one who was not fighting was the Storm King as he had his ship move toward inland. Rainbow and Soarin saw this and immediately flew over while punching away minions. The king of storms noticed them coming and used his staff to control the lightning and aimed at them.

The lightning barely missed as it instead singed them and the couple had to keep dodging other lightning bolts while the villain cackled to his amusement. Soarin and Dash of course were not amused as they had to use different maneuvers to avoid the dangerous lightning and it was exhausting.

By then the ship made it to shore and the Storm King ran on to jump onto the sand while the pegasi were still busy with the lightning.

Meanwhile, Scootaloo and Rumble had been watching the battle from a nearby rooftop and had witnessed the Storm King running ahead.

Scootaloo glowered and shouted, "He's getting away!"

Rumble declared, "Not for long!" he grabbed the filly and flew them down to chase after the pirate.

Back on the warring ships, Applejack had decided to take out her pistols and shoot at the Rainboom's sails making it fall right on the minions giving Pinkie and Cheese a chance to use their special knot skills to tie them all up.

Flash had joined Twilight to help battle Tempest but soon he too fell victim to the orb's power.

"FLASH!" Twilight cried. Now even more enraged, the unicorn used all her power to overwhelm Tempest.

Rarity had been lifted onto Spike by Capper and was using her horn to blast just as Spike was using his fire and Capper used his claws.

Soarin and Rainbow were still trying to get out of the lightning storm until Soarin suggested, "Honey, I got an idea of how to get of this but you need to trust me!"

"Trust you?! Of course I trust you! Why would you say such a dumb thing?!"

"It's something I learned back on the island! Turns out I got a special talent that allows me to act as a conductor around lightning!"

"Say what?!"

"I know! I still can't believe it myself but I'll show you what I mean!" he then put his whole body into the electrical currents!

Rainbow practically screamed fearing the worst for her husband until she saw that he was able to lift his hooves and move the lightning away from them and it was gone!

Once he was in the clear he smiled at his wife who was gawking and quickly embraced him then smacked him with her wing, lecturing, "Don't ever do something that stupid again!"

He could only laugh before he got serious and the both of them flew to catch up to the Storm King.

On the city streets the pirate was almost to the castle while causing destruction with his staff until a young voice shouted.

"Hey!"

He turned back only to be blindsided by a colt making him drop his staff and Scootaloo quickly grabbed it and pointed it at the monster that murdered her parents. Hatred burned in her eyes as the staff charged up.

Rumble saw this in horror and quickly went to her, "What are you doing?!"

"What does it look like?! I'm making him pay for what he did to my parents!"

"But this is not the way! Yes, he deserves to pay for his crimes, he killed my parents too! But if you do this you'll lose a part of yourself and will regret it afterwards!"

"How do you know that?! What do you know about me?!"

"I know you're kind, good, amazing, and dang it Scootaloo! I love everything about you okay!"

She gapped at this and slowly put down the staff as she said with tears in her eyes, "Y-you do?"

Unfortunately that gave the villain enough time to grab back his staff and grabbed Scootaloo in the process making her scream!

"NO!" Rumble yelled.

"SCOOTALOO!" Rainbow and Soarin shouted when arriving at the scene.

The filly squirmed in the Storm King's grasp as he demanded, "Stay where you are or she dies!" and ran off.

"We got to do something!" Dash panicked.

While the couple tried to think of a plan to get their daughter back, Rumble was desperately looking around to find anything that could help until he spotted the damaged clothing and hat store and in that moment he knew what he had to do and went to it.

"We need to get her back, Soarin!" holding her husband close to her face.

"I know that, Dash! I want her back too! But we need to think rationally on this!"

While they were talking over each other Rumble emerged from the store wearing the black Cordovan hat and a black cape with red on the inside. Then he took out the mask Daring Do gave him and put it over his eyes.

The couple saw him then and gawked.

Soarin stammered, "Rumble what…?"

The colt stated, "I'll go after them, I was able to sneak on him before, I can do it again!"

While they didn't like it, they knew that Rumble's small size was the only way to get close to the Storm King and to free Scootaloo.

Rainbow proclaimed, "Do it."

The colt acknowledged her words and started flying away but stopped when she added, "Wait! You'll need this." and she threw her dagger up where he caught the handle with his mouth.

Soarin held his wife as he told Rumble, "Bring back our daughter."

He nodded and flew off.


Scootaloo struggled in the Storm King's hold and demanded, "Let me go you monster! You pirate scum! You're nothing but a coward and a murderer!"

He taunted back, "Gee, that never occurred to me… Oh wait, yes it has!" he snarled, "Because I'm supposed to be like that! Now shut up or I'll kill you anyway!"

He made it to the castle and managed to storm it with only his staff and entered the throne room to see it empty. With a smirk he approached the throne to sit on it but then he felt a pain from his glute, dropping the filly and turned around to see a masked colt holding a dagger.

The pirate let out an anguish yell as the pegasus and him engaged in combat.

Scootaloo watched in awe and even though he was masked she knew that was Rumble and cheered him on.

The staff sparked each time the dagger struck it. The Storm King was losing it with him fighting a mere child! And Rumble was making sure he kept up the fight to protect Scootaloo then slowly but surely they moved the fight toward the balcony.

Scootaloo knew she had to do something soon for Rumble won't be able to hold on for much longer and suddenly her eye caught on a strange black and green orb that was sitting on the floor and ran to grab it then she shouted to Rumble, "Rumble! Catch!" throwing the orb straight to him.

Rumble saw it coming and caught in time and threw it right at the Storm King much to his terror and he screamed, "NOOOOO!" as the orb's magic spread onto him making him into a statue as well.

The kids panted heavily from the ordeal and slowly looked at each other before they ran straight into each other's hooves and in one swift move they had their very first kiss!

Then they parted with flushing faces and turned awkwardly away.

"Can we um agree that um, didn't happen?" he asked.

"Yeah! Sure! We… we can do that…" she rubbed her neck.

"Not that I didn't like it! It was… nice…"

"Yeah… it was…" she turned around to face him.

He faced back and they stared straight into each other's eyes and slowly they leaned to kiss again until a raspy voice called out.

"Scootaloo!" and the filly was tackled by Rainbow in a tight hug, "I was so afraid I would never see you again!"

She hugged back in tears, "I'm so sorry Mom! I'll never do that again!"

"You better not! Cause you are in so much trouble young lady! But I'm so happy you're safe!" she kept on hugging.

Soarin watched the happy scene and turned to Rumble, "You doing okay?"

"Yeah… it was scary but I did it, I actually did it."

"You did. And I'm so proud of you."

"Does… that mean you won't tell my brother that I disobeyed by sneaking out in the first place?" he made a cheesy grin.

Soarin made an unimpressed look and said, "What do you think?"

The colt sighed, "It was worth a shot."

That made the stallion laughed and used his wing to move the colt into a hug.