• Published 11th Mar 2018
  • 2,173 Views, 284 Comments

A Compass to the Soul - CartoonNerd12



Rainbow Dash has always want a life at sea but not in the way she thought. Tormented by her past, she tries to move on with her life but nightmares and memories keep reminding her what she had. Will she ever be free from her shadows?

  • ...
3
 284
 2,173

A Night to Remember

After sending Scootaloo back to bed, Rainbow started to prepare for bed herself and briefly glanced at the drawer. Remembering what Scootaloo said about her parents, she started to think that she should finally look at the letters, but it'll have to wait until tomorrow. She went behind a dressing screen and put on a night gown before going straight to bed. As she did, she looked at her compass one last time before blowing the candle out and went to sleep.


Soarin headed to bed the moment he got back to his hut, being exhausted after a long day. Before he shut his eyes he looked at the box that held his compass inside that was on a table nearby. Then he fell fast asleep.


The castle ballroom was gleaming away by the chandelier light as guests dressed in their finest mingled with each other. Rainbow Dash herself was dressed up in the middle of the crowd much to her discomfort. But it was important for the officers of the Royal Equestrian Navy Academy to be presentable especially if they were honored guests. Soarin was next to her and noticed her fidgeting.

He let out a chuckle, "Not used to fancy dresses, are you, sweetie?"

She glared at him, "Just why am I here again?"

Spitfire chimed in, "Because now that you're an officer of the Equestrian Navy you must present yourself at social affairs no matter how uncomfortable you are."

"Easy for you to say, at least you get to wear a formal suit." She tugged at her dress collar.

"That's because I'm the captain and my rank must always show."

"Don't worry, Dash," Soarin placed a wing around her, "it won't be long until the king arrives and then we can have that dance." He smirked.

She rolled her eyes, "You've been trying for the past year to get me to go dancing with you, what makes you think you can get me to do it now?"

"Well… we are at a royal ball and it's custom for a stallion to ask his mare to a dance and since we need to keep up appearances for the sake of the navy…"

Spitfire blurted out, "And as Captain, I order you to dance with your special somepony."

Rainbow gawked and accused, "You set me up!"

Soarin just smirked, "I knew you couldn't resist obeying an order…"

"Ugh! Fine! We'll do that dance!" she pouted but secretly she was thrilled at the idea of dancing with her beloved. The truth was as much as she didn't like dancing she waited for this moment to come so they could always remember this in the future.

By then the trumpets sounded off, with a page announcing at the top the ballroom stairs, "His Royal Majesty, King Neighsay the Second!"

Everyone applauded to the arrival of their king, as a stern gray unicorn made his appearance and started going down and greeted his guests. He then stopped at the navy officers and they bowed before him.

He addressed, "Captain Spitfire."

Spitfire looked up, "Your Majesty."

"I trust everything has been going well?"

"Very much so, sir."

"Good." without another word, he went on to greet more of his guests.

Rainbow uttered, "Wow… you weren't kidding when you told me he was serious."

Soarin nodded, "That he is. And he takes his duties as king just as serious if not more so."

Fleetfoot added, "And as always he's on our case to make sure that no one outside of Equestria comes in."

Rainbow frowned, "Isn't that a bad way to make allies? What if an invasion happens and we need to look for outside help?"

Spitfire voiced, "All the more reason it's up to us to make sure that invasion never does happen. It's our job to follow the king's orders, Midshipman Dash. We cannot get involve with the king's politics even if they are poorly thought out."

Rainbow looked to her boyfriend and their fellow officers as they nodded their heads. Dash still didn't like the idea of the king refusing to look for allies outside of Equestria, but what can be done? She watched on as the king mingled with his posh guests and then he offered to escort a middle-aged mare with a firm look on her face that she was told that was the Baroness Zesty Gourmand onto the dance floor as a slow and boring song played.

Rainbow found herself yawning at the sight. Spitfire frowned in disapproval but Soarin couldn't help but smirk and whispered to his special somepony, "Don't worry, I feel the same way."

She whispered back, "Promise that our dance won't be as boring?"

He chuckled, "I promise."

When the dance was done, ponies clopped in applause and then when the king and Zesty left the floor, couples made their way to start dancing with each other. The orchestra played a more upbeat song as they did.

Soarin gestured with a smile, "Shall we?"

Rainbow smirked, "Let's." as she took his arm and they went straight in the middle of ballroom and they began to twirl around with the other couples.

Soarin commented, "Wow, for someone who doesn't like dancing, you're sure good at it."

She grinned, "When are you going to learn that I'm just that good?"

He laughed, "Probably never, because just when I think you couldn't anymore talented, you prove me wrong."

"You're darn right I do!" she spun around a couple of times before twirling again with her beloved. She added tenderly, "But my talents wouldn't have come to light hadn't you helped me discovered them in our time together…" she looked straight into his eyes.

He stared back with a small blush on his face, "You've helped me too in our time together… A lot of things I never realized about myself wouldn't have shown itself without you…"

She nuzzled her head on his chest as they kept dancing. Soarin kept her close throughout the entire song not once wanting to let go of this moment. He looked over to the crowd seeing Spitfire, Fleetfoot, and the other lieutenants smirking at the scene.

When the song slowly ended and the dancers stopped, another round of applause rang out but Soarin and Rainbow didn't let go for the longest time until Soarin motioned them to a balcony. Never had they felt more closer to each other at that time that their wings wrapped around each other's backs. Once they were on the balcony they looked out to see the night sky with the stars and moon shining so brightly.

Soarin mentioned, "Do you remember our first date?"

"Of course, I do," she replied, "It was one of the best nights of my life."

He smirked, "Even when I tested your knowledge on celestial navigation?"

"Are you kidding? That was the best part! It was the reason I went on another date with you, that and you were as amazing as I hoped you would be."

He smiled at this, "I'm glad I met your standards."

"Truthfully, I was scared of falling for you in the first place."

"Oh? Why?"

"Because… what if later you thought I was nothing but a glory hog and you would have felt threaten by me having so much flair that you didn't want me around anymore…" she looked down before she felt her chin being lifted by a wing tip and had to look at her lover's face.

Soarin looked at her with a small smile on his lips and leaned closer to her own lips, "Your confidence makes you extra special, Dash… Don't get me wrong, there are days you tend to gloat too much but never to the point you rub it in someone's face and I can learn to live with that. There are other flaws you have too, but you wouldn't be the mare I love without them… That's why…" he slowly bended his forehooves causing her to gasp. "Rainbow Dash, I want to ask for your hoof if not all of you in marriage." he looked up to her with hopeful eyes.

Rainbow was gapping until slowly she beamed at him then flew up and twirled around while shouting, "YEEEEESSSSS!" and landed back down to plant a long kiss on him as he happily returned it.

Cheers then erupted and they turned to see the officers looking on with pride as Fleetfoot proclaimed, "It's about time you two got engaged!"

Silver Zoom pointed, "But couldn't you have waited a couple more months? I would've won the betting pool then!"

Fleetfoot held her hoof out, "That reminds me, all of you have pay up now!"

There were grumbles as the lieutenants fished bits out of their pockets and handed the coins to Fleetfoot. Soarin and Rainbow looked on in amusement.

Fleetfoot told the couple as the other officers went back to enjoy the ball, "Easiest money I've ever made, thanks you two."

Dash inquired, "Just how long has this bet been going on?"

"Since you two started courting. Since Soarin asked you out himself, we knew you would be a keeper for him."

Soarin commented, "Not that I'm ungrateful for those past dates but you and Spitfire did pick some really lousy ones."

Fleetfoot shrugged, "Hey, I thought you and my cousin would hit it off. How was I supposed to know she ended up being a gold digger?"

Rainbow and Soarin exchanged an exasperated look.

"Anyway, congratulations again, and make sure you include me in the wedding party." she winked before going back inside.

Spitfire went up to them, stating, "Now remember what I told you, Soarin."

He sighed, "Yes, Captain, I know."

Rainbow furrowed her brow, "What? What do you know?"

Soarin explained, "Earlier today, I told Spitfire that I was proposing tonight…"

Spitfire took over, "And I had to explain to him the consequences of him doing this and now I'm going to tell you the same thing. Our job requires us to be professional at all costs, and so to have two of my best officers to get married might interfere with that."

"Well, yeah… I can see that but Soarin and I have been dating for a year now and not once have we let that interfere with our work, why should our marriage be any different?"

Soarin smiled, "That's exactly what I told her."

Spitfire sighed, "Well at least I know you two are on the same page and that's what counts, as long as you don't make me regret it, you can have your wedding."

The couple beamed at her.

Then unexpectedly she hugged the both of them! Catching them by surprise. She said, "Just take care of each other, okay. And I wish you nothing but happiness as you start a new part of your journey together…" she stepped back and saluted them.

Both Soarin and Rainbow were touched by their captain's words and saluted while emotionally saying, "Yes, Ma'am."

Spitfire nodded and went inside leaving the two lovebirds alone.

The duo glanced at each other lovingly and embraced thinking how blessed they were to have such amazing colleagues and friends by their side. The future never looked more brighter for them and they prayed it would stay that way.


Rainbow woke up in the middle of the night and recalled the memory she had just now and sighed deeply. She grabbed for her compass as she remembered how the next day she and her fiancé went to look for an engagement ring when they came across a shop selling compasses and that there were two matching ones that the couple liked and decided they should use them as a way to show off the engagement. It was far practical then a ring in her eyes and much more meaningful for her and her beloved, proving once and for all that they were the perfect match for each other.

She uttered out, "Never will there be another love in my life… I will love you until the day I die, Soarin." she kissed the compass before setting it back down and went to sleep.


Soarin woke up from the dream slash memory and went to take out his compass from the box as he gently said, "It won't be long now, Dash, I will get off this island and I will find my way to you. I love you." he kissed the compass before putting it back and went back to bed.

Little did both lovers realize was the compasses began to softly glow at the exact same time before dimming.

Author's Note:

Fun fact, before the Season 8 premiere I was going to have either Blueblood or an OC to be the king but when Neighsay showed up I knew then he would be perfect for the role. And as always reviews are much appreciated, thanks.