• Published 11th Mar 2018
  • 2,173 Views, 284 Comments

A Compass to the Soul - CartoonNerd12



Rainbow Dash has always want a life at sea but not in the way she thought. Tormented by her past, she tries to move on with her life but nightmares and memories keep reminding her what she had. Will she ever be free from her shadows?

  • ...
3
 284
 2,173

An Old Flame

Author's Note:

Sorry everyone, but it would have way too easy for them to be reunited so soon, in fact we wouldn't have much of a story we did. Just think of it this way, when Rainbow and Soarin do reunite, the pay off will be so worth it. And that's all you're getting out of me. Now on with the chapter.

The crew in the longboat woke up the next day and to the sound of growling stomachs.

Scootaloo moaned while clenching her empty tummy.

Dash tried to comfort her, "Hang in there, kid… I promise the minute we find land, we eat."

Pinkie piped up, "On the plus side, at least we got music to help us past the time! Listen!" she moved her stomach as it made different gurgling sounds like it was making a tune of some kind.

Her crewmates gave exasperated looks and groans.

Rainbow then handed Scootaloo an oar, "It's our turn to row, squirt."

"Okay, Mom." and started to row.


After having a quick seaweed-like breakfast Skystar and Silverstream made, the group was ready to swim on.

Soarin asked, "Did everyone sleep okay?"

Rumble mentioned, "I guess, but it wasn't easy getting comfortable when you're sleeping on the ocean floor."

The others but the seaponies agreed.

Skystar said, "It takes time to get used to."

Without other word, they swam forward.


After rowing for some time, Scootaloo saw something in the near distance like a building on top of rocky terrain in the middle of the ocean and pointed, "What's that?"

The adults looked and Pinkie shouted with glee, "Land ho!"

Rainbow and Twilight exchanged doubtful looks but their companion was right, at least it was a land form of some kind. They paddled toward it and docked their boat and walked up the pier to get to the building. They saw a sign that said: YE OLD TAVERN.

Rainbow told her daughter, "Stay close to me, we don't know what kind of seedy characters we'll run into."

Pinkie questioned, "Is that because most pubs are seedy?"

Dash nodded, "That would be correct."

Twilight said, "As long as we get food and supplies then everything should be okay."

They walked in and saw customers singing away obviously in merry spirits. Pinkie and Scootaloo ended up getting caught to the tune and bounced to it.

Rainbow found them an empty table and all four sat down where a stewardess began serving them.

Dash uttered, "It's a good thing I was carrying my coin pouch when we got swept away at sea."

They nodded in agreement.

The tavern goers were still singing while they ate and Pinkie was still bouncing to the tune. But by the time they had finished eating another voice had joined in the chorus that made Pinkie turn white as snow. She softly said, "That voice… I know that voice…"

They turned to see an orange stallion wearing a white shirt, tatted black vest and a red bandana on his head. The stallion started singing a new ditty while Pinkie's eyes burn with hated toward him.

Her friends noticed in confusion with Twilight asking, "You know him?"

The pink pony gritted her teeth, "He's… my ex-fiancé."

"Say what?!" they shouted out.

Dash motioned in disbelief, "You were engaged?!"

"I was… until that jerk left me at the altar!"

They gasped in horror.

Rainbow pounded her hooves, "Want me to get back at him for you?"

"No, I rather we just get out of here, I don't want him to see me."

Twilight added, "Okay, if that's what you want."

They made it for the door until a voice said, "Pinkie?"

They froze in place before turning back to see the jilting stallion staring at them.

Pinkie scowled, "Hello, Cheese."

Cheese Sandwich made his way to her with a crowd looking on. With a remorseful face he slowly said, "It's… it's great seeing you…"

She spat, "The feeling isn't mutual."

He winced, "I… I understand you're angry…"

"Angry?! Angry doesn't cut it! I'm downright furious!" She went off on a rant, "My family came all the way for the wedding! My sisters were supposed to be bridemaids with Maud being the maid of honor! She was devastated! I know she didn't show it but she was! My dress was made of lace and I can let that go because it was an itchy fabric… But the cake…" her eyes went dark, "The cake was filled with lemon custard! LEMON CUSTARD! Do you know how hard it is to make the perfect lemon custard cake?! Very hard!"

The crew was shocked and upset at the same time when hearing this information.

Cheese hung his head, "I know… leaving on the day of the wedding was a stupid thing to do-"

"IT WAS BEYOND STUPID! How could our wedding been not that important to you?!"

"But it was important to me! I… I just…" but there was no excuse.

"Case of cold hooves much?" Dash inquired.

He nodded shamefully, "I thought I wasn't ready to get married not when a free spirit like me has a tough time settling down, the open sea was calling out to me and well…" his eyes was full of sorrow, "But I realize now that was a huge mistake and shall remain my biggest regret in life. How could I have given up the one mare that knew me and loved me so much…? I know I cannot ask for your forgiveness and I'm not asking for another chance. I just want to see how you've been faring and that I hope things have been going well for you."

Pinkie's face slightly softened by his words and said, "Things were just not the same without you. I grew depressed and had to find a way to bring back my old self and set off. It took some time but by spreading joy to everyone I've met on my journey, I was getting back on track of being cheerful again. It was then I found Rainbow Dash here and she had been looking for a crew. So I persuaded her to let me come and here we are after being thrown off the ship during a storm."

Cheese sadly commented, "Wow… you've been through so much and all because me…"

Pinkie stated, "You broke my heart, Cheese, but… if you hadn't…" she faced her friends, "I never would have met my friends…" she smiled and they smiled back. "So I guess some good came from our break-up."

"I still regret it."

"You know, looking back now… I don't think I was ready for marriage either so maybe you both did us a favor." she made a tiny smirk.

He smiled back with a growing hope in his chest, "Can we… maybe start over?"

"Well… I'm still upset about what happen… buuutt I don't see why not." she winked.


Time had passed with Pinkie introducing her friends and updating Cheese about their mission making him comment.

"South Amareica, eh? That's going to be tricky; it's a huge jungle where you could get lost in for days! You are definitely going to need a guide to help you out, and I know just the pony. Daring Do."

"Rainbow got starstruck, "The Daring Do?! As in famous adventurer and hero, Daring Do?!"

He chuckled, "That's the one." he got out a map of South Amareica and pointed out, "You'll find her in this village by the shore. But beware…" his voice deepen and spoke in an eerie tone like he was telling a ghost story, "The three legged pony, he roams the jungle seeking any pony's leg to replace the one he's lost…"

Scootaloo gulped, she hated scary stories and was quivering.

But then Cheese let out a laugh, "Just kidding!" but he got serious again, "But South Amareica is no short on danger. You'll have to be extra careful."

Pinkie pffted, "Cheesy, danger is our game! We are after all fearsome pirates!"

Scootaloo muttered, "Most of us anyway…"

He suggested, "At least stay here for the night, since you were force to sleep in that tiny boat yesterday and you still have a ways to go to your destination."

Rainbow rolled her eyes, "Yeah I'm pretty sure the reason you want us to stick around longer is because of Pinkie."

Cheese went red and didn't deny it.

Pinkie sighed, "If I'm being honest, I would like to stick around if only for Cheese and I to catch up and try to get past the "incident"."

Twilight mentioned, "And we do need to gather some supplies for the journey ahead."

Rainbow Dash thought about it then she looked at Pinkie and Cheese and could see the longing in their eyes. It made her think if Soarin was alive she wouldn't want to leave his side so soon either. She sighed, "Okay, we'll stay. But we leave first thing in the morning, alright?"

They agreed.