• Published 17th Feb 2018
  • 2,517 Views, 80 Comments

One Bolt, Moving Forward - Boltsinger



When ponies' lives change, it can be jarring. Some find it hard to accept, while others want the same for themselves. Through all of it, there are always new lessons to be learned.

  • ...
5
 80
 2,517

PreviousChapters Next
The Sounds Of Singing

Ponyville was bustling like never before. The citizens were all going about, making preparations for an upcoming event that had them all excited, some beyond reason! The mobile speakers of DJ PON-3 were seen speeding through town with Octavia sitting atop them, playing her cello to the beat. Rarity led the Pony Tones down the road to Fluttershy’s cottage, the group going over their harmonies as they walked, and the front doors to the Castle of Friendship opened wide, the resident Princess taking in the sights before her with a smile making itself known on her muzzle.

“I can’t believe how excited everypony is for the Ponyville Music Festival!” she exclaimed, taking a look back at the approaching Spike. “I haven’t seen the town this active since the last big celebration we had!”

Spike nonchalantly walked past his best friend, shrugging. “Doesn’t Ponyville hold big celebrations like this all the time? What’s so hard to believe?”

Twilight laughed, trotting alongside him. “Oh, hush! Just because it’s a town that parties a lot, that doesn’t mean the excitement is expected.” She took a look around, where several Pegasus ponies were stringing up decorations in the shape of musical notes. On every street corner, there was a treble clef, and melodies could be heard from many of the buildings they passed. “I think it’s wonderful that so many ponies are getting into the spirit of things!”

Spike turned around, walking backwards as they proceeded. “I’m surprised Bolt isn’t out here, what with how much of a music fan he is.”

“He’ll be along. I doubt he’d miss out on all of this!” she stated, looking back at the castle. “He’s probably got something amazing planned for everypony!”


Boltsinger walked through the halls of the castle, a brown and tan monkey swinging around on his wing as he went. “So, Abu, how much you wanna bet they think I have some crazy and elaborate performance planned for the Ponyville Music Festival?” he asked, prompting the simian to come to a landing on his back. Abu shrugged, sifting through his owner’s mane and jumping off. “Yeah, with all the talent coming to town, I don’t think they expect all that much out of me.” His monkey sidekick ran off into the castle as he passed by the bedroom currently used by the Royal Guard. He knocked on the door with his wing, clearing his throat and turning on his Princely composure. “Flash, the festival has started, and Twilight is in town. I’m going to meet her there, if you’d like to join me.”

The door opened, and the guard stepped out in full armor. “That sounds like a good idea.” He admitted, walking beside the Bolt.

“I thought you’d appreciate it.” Boltsinger stated, heading for the door. “Have you ever been to one of Ponyville’s festivals before?”

Flash kept a stark gaze forward. “Can’t say I have.”

The orange Pegasus beamed. “Well, you’re in for a real treat, then! We’ve got the biggest musical sensations in Equestria showing up for the charity concert!”

“What about you?” the yellow Pegasus wondered. “You’ve literally got the word ‘singer’ in your name. Are you gonna put on a show?”

Boltsinger waved a hoof in front of him. “Nah. I couldn’t possibly get an entire performance ready in time for the festivities. Not without Twilight’s magic, at least!” He twiddled his wingtip, making a tiny air pocket. “Getting these filled with the right sounds takes time, and I have to make sure they can last long enough to do it. And improvising a song is totally beyond me.” He sliced through the pocket, dissipating it. “No, I’ll leave the performing to the big names, today.”

“And which ‘big names’ would that be?”

Boltsinger tilted his confused head. “You don’t know? You were standing guard when Twilight and I went over it with everyone!” He received a dignified shake of the head. Boltsinger sighed, holding out a balled up wing and raising one feather. “First, we’ve got Sapphire Shores, or as she’s also known, ‘The Pony Of Pop’.”


Twilight and Spike continued their way to the main stage where the charity concert would take place, looking excited the whole time as Trixie galloped over to her. “Twilight, I’m afraid I have some… bad news.”

Twilight looked puzzlingly at the illusionist. “What’s going on? Did something happen with the effects?”

Trixie’s face contorted a little at the suggestion. “Well, yes… and that led to something worse!”

Twilight stepped forward, one foreleg raised. “What happened?”

Trixie backed up a step, sitting down. “Well, one of the movers that’s handling Sapphire Shores’ equipment ended up… accidentally setting off all of the fireworks for her show…”

Twilight gasped. “Oh no…”

“And it was right next to Sapphire, herself!” She continued, standing up again.

Twilight’s eyes grew wide. “You don’t mean…?”

“So Sapphire Shores’ outfit got all singed as well! She doesn’t have anything she needs to perform! I’m… afraid she can’t make it…” she finished, hanging her head. “I’ve got to get going so that I can set up a new display for her and deliver the backup outfits Rarity made, but… I can’t finish the display before the performance, so she’ll have to cancel…”

Twilight gawked at the idea, quickly closing her eyes and running through her well-practiced calming breaths. “Okay… You go and make sure everything’s okay. Thanks for all your help setting up today, Trixie.” Trixie smiled and nodded, making a flourish with her hat before galloping away.


Boltsinger unfurled another feather. “And then we have Applejack’s foalhood friend, Rara, or as she’s known more widely, Countess Coloratura. I helped her with some sound amplification for a performance once. She’s got a beautiful voice!”


Twilight continued down the road, where Applejack galloped over. “Twilight, I got some bad news!”

“Is the stage not ready?” the Princess asked.

Applejack shook her head. “No…”

“Is someone trying to stop the concert?” Spike suggested.

Applejack shook her head again, putting her hat over her heart. “Rara can’t perform! Some o’ her fans are a little too crazy ‘bout her… She’s havin’ to lay low so that she can get ‘em to back off! She says she’s real sorry, but she can’t afford to go out in public right now.”

“I understand.” the Alicorn affirmed. “When you write back to her, tell her to let us know if there’s anything at all we can do to help.”

Applejack nodded as she turned to walk away. “Will do. I jus’ hope we can still get a good concert in…”

“Me, too.” Twilight confirmed.


Finally entering the foyer, Boltsinger unfurled another feather. “And then there’s Songbird Serenade! Last time she did an event like this was the Friendship Festival! Even Twilight couldn’t believe that she agreed to come to Ponyville!”


Finally making it to the apple-themed stage, Twilight looked around, checking on everypony’s progress. She took special note of the full complement of the Pony Tones going over their signature piece. She started to trot over to the harmonies when Pinkie Pie zipped in front of her.

“Twilight! Big trouble!” She shouted.

“Don’t tell me…” Twilight started, looking at the stage. “Songbird Serenade can’t make it?”

Pinkie recoiled, then jutted her head forward. “How did you know?” She examined the purple pony Princess from horn to haunches, looking as closely as she could. “Did you develop some kind of ‘Twilight sense’ that tells you what kind of bad news is gonna happen?”

Spike shook his head. “No, it’s just easy to figure out, since neither Sapphire Shores nor Countess Coloratura were able to make it either.”

“Oh no!” Pinkie gasped, jumping back. “But that means we don’t have any of the big stars we promised everypony!”

“I know. Everyone is counting on that concert...” Twilight said, looking back at the castle. “I just hope the one performance pony we do have on hoof can give them a show. Otherwise…”


Flash let out a small smile, looking out the now-open doors. “It seems like there’s a great show planned, then. I look forward to the festival.” With that, he flapped his wings and started towards town.

Boltsinger smiled, completely undeterred by the guard’s stoic attitude towards him. “Yeah, this festival is gonna be great!”


“This festival is going to be a disaster!” Twilight concluded, her face already lined with panic. She darted off into town, hoping to find Boltsinger somewhere amidst the busy ponies there.

“Princess?” a deep voice called from above. Twilight looked up, seeing Flash Sentry coming in for a landing next to her. “You look like you’ve just gotten some pretty bad news. What’s going on?”

“Oh, it’s nothing.” she sarcastically blurted out. “I just found out that all three of our star performers for the concert tonight can’t make it, which means we don’t have a ‘concert’ at all!”

“I see…” he replied, putting his hoof to his muzzle. “So, what are you looking for? Any chance I could help you find it?”

Twilight looked hopefully at her bodyguard. “Have you seen Bolt?”

Flash grimaced at the name. “Why do you need him?”

“He’s the only pony in town who has experience doing shows for crowds like the one we’ll have tonight!” she elaborated, remembering the performance she had helped with in Las Pegasus. “Plus, he doesn’t even need any equipment to work! He can do it all by himself! Maybe if he did something for a show, it might get some ponies excited enough for the festival to succeed!”

Flash grunted, relenting to the Princess’ argument. “Okay. I think I know where he might be. Follow me.” He started into the streets, then looked back at her. “And stay close!”

Twilight rolled her eyes, following close behind the yellow stallion. He led her back through town towards the castle, where she heard several ponies talking excitedly about how their favorite artists were performing later. She let out an audible sigh as she listened, keeping her head low, but her gaze forward as the performance pony she pined to see pranced into proximity.

Boltsinger stopped his forward motion as Twilight and Flash came into view, smiling wide and waving his wing. “Hey, Twilight! How’s concert prep going?”

Yet another sigh came from the Alicorn’s mouth. “It isn’t.” She dejectedly stated.

Boltsinger cocked an eyebrow. “What do you mean ‘It isn't’? Is there something wrong with the venue?” Twilight shook her head. “Nopony coming to see the show?” Another head shake. “So… What’s wrong?”

Flash stepped between the Princess and the Pegasus, casting a stern glare at Boltsinger. “Apparently all of those ‘big music stars’ you said were gonna be here tonight can’t make it.” He spat, stepping closer. “And now, for some reason, she needs you to fix everything!” Boltsinger took several steps back, the guard before him showing clear signs of agitation. He gave a panicked look to his wife, only to be blocked by Flash’s wing. “So, what are you gonna do?”

Flash was encased in a magenta field, quickly being slid to the side. “Flash, that’s enough.” Twilight scolded, walking up to her husband. “What he said was pretty harsh, but he wasn’t wrong about the situation. Is there anything you could possibly do to save the concert?”

Boltsinger’s rump hit the ground. “I see…” A nervous smile crept onto his muzzle. “How long until showtime?”

“Not long…” she answered, hanging her head. “At most, six hours.”

“Oh, wonderful!” He exclaimed with tense laughter. “That’s… not enough time.” He mirrored his favorite mare’s position, drawing a circle on the ground with his hoof. “Not even close.”

“Didn’t you perform in Las Pegasus once?” Flash queried. “Why don’t you do what you did there?”

Boltsinger slapped his muzzle with his wings, looking up at the sentry named Sentry. “Because I don’t have a full day to prepare everything!” He explained. “Even the performers we got can’t set up a whole concert so quickly! They have a lot of stuff already prepared way in advance! And my performing style requires a lot more additional prep!”

“He’s got a point.” Twilight affirmed. “His last performance in Las Pegasus was as good as it was because the two of us spent the entire day setting up each part of each song, organizing them so that I could send out the parts he needed when he needed them.”

“Uh-huh. And even though she’s back into the swing of things, there’s still a chance Twilight’s magic could short out mid-show!” Boltsinger concluded, gesturing at the lilac Princess. “That’s a risk I do not want to take. For the crowd’s sake, and for hers.”

“So… what do we do?” she asked, looking hopefully between the stallions.

“Um… uh… Something?” the orange pony jokingly suggested, his tense laughter continuing. “Yup. We’ll do… something.”


The walk back to the stage was slow and deliberate. Twilight and Boltsinger spent the entire time going over ideas for how the concert might be a success, but none of them were reasonable enough for them to confidently move forward with. After an hour that felt like three, they made it to the stage. Looking around, the three ponies saw a small gathering of scowling citizens gathered in front of the stage.

“What do you mean Sapphire Shores can’t make it?” one mare asked.

“I promised my little girl she would see Countess Coloratura tonight!” a stallion shouted, shaking his hoof. “Are you gonna make a liar out of me?”

Applejack stood on the stage above them, smiling as genuinely as she could and putting her hooves in front of her, pushing down in an effort to calm them down. “Now, now, everypony! Y’all know how busy a celebrity’s life can get! They have lives o’ their own! But that doesn’t mean we don’t have a concert!”

“Yeah! We’ve got the Pony Tones!” Spike added, standing beside the farm mare. “And even a headlining act from Las Pegasus!” He looked around over the crowd, catching a glimpse of the approaching ponies. “There he is, right now!” He exclaimed, pointing his claw at Boltsinger.

All eyes immediately fell on the stallion in question, who froze in place and sent a glare at Spike. “Hey everypony!” he started, trying his best to look calm. “How are you doing today? Wonderful day for a festival, isn’t it? Speaking of which, we’re super busy getting everything ready for tonight! SEEYOULATERBYE!” With that, he shot into the air, flying back behind the stage where the Pony Tones prepared.

Boltsinger landed with a small tremor, kicking up a cloud of dust as Twilight and Flash swooped in next to him. Twilight looked at him with her nervous grin. “No pressure, right?”

He smiled back. “None at all!” He slapped his muzzle with his wings, calming himself as much as he could. “I take it this is a familiar kind of pressure for you?”

“Well, everything I plan does generally turn into some sort of disaster.” Twilight admitted, turning to go backstage. “I’m gonna see if everything we do have is ready to use.”

Boltsinger nodded, turning to face the Pony Tones. “Rarity, could you come here for a moment?”

The practice ceased, Rarity turning her head and trotting over to the stallion. Like every member of the quintet, she wore a cyan and gold tuxedo jacket, shirt, and bow tie with her back half bare. “Yes? What do you need?”

“How is rehearsal coming along?” he inquired.

“Big Mac is a little off in the rhythm, but Toe Tapper is helping him through it.” She explained, looking back at the other performers. “Fluttershy has been doing remarkably well, even though we’re performing before such a big audience tonight. I just wish she’d open those beautiful eyes of hers when she sings.”

“Easier said than done.” He stated, waving back at Fluttershy, who smiled and waved back. “I used to do it all the time when I had stage fright. So, how many songs do you have down?”

Rarity put a hoof to her chin, pulling out the information. “We’re set to perform at least three numbers. I know the other performers can’t make it, but with you here, we still have plenty to make a concert out of!”

Boltsinger sighed, shaking his head. “Once again, easier said than done. I don’t have enough time to get more than one song ready at this point.”

The soprano couturier looked back at the rest of her ensemble, giving Fluttershy a mildly sad look. “Oh my… We would need to familiarize Fluttershy with more of the repertoire before we can alter the set list.”

The orange stallions head hung once more, letting out a dejected groan. “All right…” He turned around and walked towards the stage, waving his wing. “Thanks, anyway.” He came into the room behind the main stage, where Twilight was taking inventory of everything in the room. She was completely in her element, her parchment and quill floating in front of her with her lips pursed while she took a close look at even the tiniest details. She hummed a soft melody while she worked, eliciting a harmony from the approaching Pegasus as he sat behind her. The small song continued throughout the Princess’ work, finally fading as she made a satisfied check at the bottom of the page. “You know, that, right there, is what I was looking forward to most about the music festival.”

Twilight rolled up her scroll, tucking it under her wing and facing him. “What do you mean?”

“The thing we just did!” He continued, grandly raising his foreleg. “You had a song that you wanted to sing, and I added something of myself to it! Ponies making music together, no matter what the scale of it is. That is what I was hoping to see and hear today. The concert was just a bonus.”

“That sounds wonderful.” the Alicorn affirmed. She walked over to the curtain, poking her head out to see the crowd. “But these ponies are expecting to hear more music than they want to make for themselves.”

“Well, maybe I can help fix that.” He suggested, standing up tall. “Performing is just one of my talents, after all.” He flared his wings, gaining a confident look. “I need to show these ponies just what all I have to offer… What I can really give!” In that moment, his wings turned stiff, a purple light shining out of his pendant as his feathers discharged a current of the same color. “THAT’S IT!”

Twilight recoiled, looking carefully at her favorite stallion. He had a starry look in his eye that reminded her of the fashionista just outside, and his smirk was just as familiar. “What’s it? Are you okay?”

Boltsinger’s head snapped into position to look at her head-on. “Oh, dear, I just had the most amazing feeling of inspiration! I know exactly what to do to help the festival, and just how I need to do it!” He walked over to her, putting his wing on her back. “Come to the town square soon. I’ll have something positively divine ready for everypony!” He walked out to the stage proper, spreading his wings and flying off towards town.


In the town square, the citizens of Ponyville gathered in front of town hall. Spike had rapidly spread word of a big announcement for the festival, and many ponies were excited to be there. From inside the building, Boltsinger stepped out, his wings still rigid and sparking with purple electricity. He looked out at the audience before him, smiling wide. “Fillies and gentlecolts! My little ponies of Ponyville! I’ve got an announcement to make that will change everything about this festival of ours!” He paused, letting the onlookers all discuss what might be happening amongst themselves. “I know you’re all excited about the concert happening tonight. The three biggest names in Equestrian music!” Cheers erupted all around him, sending him flying into the closed door behind him. “Yes, yes, I know! However, the lives of celebrities can be… How shall I put this…? A little busy. I’m afraid that none of them were able to make it for tonight’s performance…” As quickly as they had cheered, the crowd turned to boos and heckling. Several of them stood up in a myriad of huffs, attempting to storm off as the stallion on stage cleared his throat loud enough to make everypony in the gathering freeze. “However, just because we don’t have them, that doesn’t mean we can’t have a concert tonight!” He trotted down from the steps, walking amongst the townsponies. “I happen to know that this town is full of musical ponies. You don’t need a musical note or a microphone as your Cutie Mark to know that much.” He looked around at the confused faces surrounding him, his smile ever-present. “Why, as I stand, I can hear a number of amazing voices just waiting to burst out a tune!” He pointed to a group of four Earth Pony stallions, one red, one blue, one yellow, and one white, each of them with a short black mane and tail, brown eyes, and each of them with a Cutie Mark of a different section of pie. “You gentlecolts, right there! Have you ever sang a song before?”

The red one spoke first in a deep bass voice. “No, can’t say I have.”

The blue one took a breath, letting a baritone voice out. “But we always liked listening to music!”

Next came the yellow pony, a low tenor coming from his mouth. “Why, we even learned some lyrics along the way!”

Finally, a shrill tenor voice belted out of the white stallion. “But we dunno the first thing about how to do it ourselves!”

Boltsinger practically melted at the sounds he had just heard. He cantered over to the foursome, putting his hoof around the red pony. “My dear fellows, I can’t believe my ears! Why, I don’t think I’ve ever heard such flawless pitch!” He stood in front of the first pony he’d approached, producing a low note and looking at him. “Okay, you, sir… ~Say ice creeeeam…~”

“Uh… Ice cream…” He repeated, filled with confusion. “But I don’t know what that has to do with singing.”

“Trust me, it has everything to do with singing.” he stated, getting in closer. “Now… ~Do it agaaaain… Talk sloooooow…~”

“Uh… Okay…” He took a deep breath in preparation. “~Ice creeeeam…~” He reeled back, not believing what he had just done.

Boltsinger clapped his forehooves together, standing on his hind legs. “Yes! That was fabulous!” He pointed at the blue pony. “Now you, sir! Same thing, but higher!”

“~Ice creeeeam…!~” he repeated with a sudden smile as his red-coated friend resumed his note.

Boltsinger pointed at the yellow one. “And you, sir!”

“~Ice creeeeam…!~” he followed suit, a resonance beginning to form.

Boltsinger gave an encouraging hoof to the white stallion. “Now, you!”

The stallion nodded proudly, taking a deep breath. “~IIIIIIIICE CREEEEEEEEEEAM!!!~” As he joined in, five notes came from the four ponies, The crowd around them looked on in awe, one of them mentioning how they had never even considered those four singing before.

“And that, my little ponies, is how you sing!” Boltsinger declared. The stallions looked happily at each other, walking off to a beat as they started into their own song. He waved a farewell to the ponies and flew back up to the steps of town hall, facing the crowd again. “No, we don’t have a big celebrity rock concert. But who needs that? I am proud to announce the Ponyville Musical Showcase! Starring… Everypony!” He walked back into the gathering, now greeted with cheers. “I’m here to help anypony who doesn’t quite have a firm grasp on music. And it’s not just me! Anypony who is willing to help should offer up their skills!” He rose into the air above him, taking on the stance that was his ‘performance hover’ as he took the deepest breath he could.

“~We are well met, my friends, in this place to night!
Though none of us are strangers to each other!
The many paths that led us here shall mingle, and unite,
As we wa-alk down the sa-ame road together!~”

He twisted in the air, facing another section of the citizens.

“~And so, when the music staaarts,
Open up your heeearts!
Let it soar like a lark in early morning!
Sorrow, care, or fear!
Tonight, have no place here!
They shall all soon disappear
In the sounds of singing!~”

He landed amidst the ponies once more, his hoof placed over his heart as he walked forward.

“~This crowded age we live in gives us little time or choice…
Small, simple dreams are often derided!
But tonight, we shall sing in a common pony’s voice!
Toni-ight we shall be-e not divided!

So for these few hours, at leeeast…
Let your spirits be releeeased!
Ma-ay you find peace, If peace is what you’re seeking!
The frantic, ceaseless roar,
Of the world outside our door,
Shall on this night, fade before…
The sounds of singing!~”

He stopped, turning around and going back into his performance hover with his eyes closed.

“~And so, when the music staaarts,
Open up your heeearts!
Let it soar like a lark in early morning!
Sorrow, care, or fear!
Tonight, have no place here!
They shall all soon disappear
In the sounds of singing!~”

He opened his eyes, looking into those of all the other ponies and taking another breath. “So, what are we waiting for? Let’s get singing!” With that, there was a mixture of applause and the sounds he had hoped to hear. Many ponies had begun letting their voices out, with some not doing quite so well as others, drawing his attention like a baby’s cry.

Twilight watched from the steps of town hall, looking intently at her husband as he flited about town, guiding ponies through whatever problems they might have had and guiding them to ponies that could help them further. From a group of fillies who learned their scales, to a pony who could never get past a whisper in their speaking. Not all of them sang, but all of them came out better for it. The light from his pendant shone the entire time, his Cutie Mark crackling like he was working. It reminded her of their time in Baltimare, only this time, he was doing something entirely different. She smiled, flying to his side and helping him in his endeavors.


Finally, the evening arrived, and what was once to be a rock concert was set to begin. Ponies gathered all over the stage, each taking their turns to come up and perform as Twilight and Boltsinger looked on from behind the crowd, Flash standing behind the Princess.

“Just listen to that...” he started, fluttering his wings. “This is the best part of the music festival! Everypony making music together, sharing their talents, and creating something beautiful.”

“It really is amazing what ponies can do with a little encouragement.” She agreed, turning her gaze towards him. “I’m sorry I tried to make you put on such a big show on such short notice.”

Boltsinger waved his hoof in front of him in a dismissive gesture. “It’s alright. I know how freaked you were. I was a little frazzled, myself. But, suddenly, I just wanted to share the ideas I had with everypony! And it turned out so lovely!”

Flash took a position on the other side of Twilight, taking in the sight before him. “I’ve got to admit, this is pretty great. Although I would like to have seen those big names you mentioned.”

Twilight looked over at her bodyguard, nodding in agreement. “It would have been nice, but I think I’m with Bolt on this one. Bringing ponies together is much more important than just having a conc--” As she looked back to the orange stallion, her face went from happiness to concern as she spotted him passed out on the ground. Part of her had expected this, but that didn’t stop the reality of it from being a shock. “Bolt!” She cried, going to the ground next to him and shaking him in an attempt to wake him. There was no response, as if all of his energy was completely drained. “Not again... “ She stood up again, looking at Flash. “Get him back to the castle. I’ll be flying ahead, so I’ll meet you there!”

Flash stood at attention, saluting with his foreleg. “Of course, Princess!” He hoisted the passed-out Pegasus into his back, holding him in place with his wings and galloping off.

“I’m gonna get to the bottom of this… even if it takes me all night!” She declared as she took off, full speed.


The next morning, Boltsinger walked groggily into the throne room. He let out a yawn as he looked around. The room was filled to the brim with books, and Twilight was pouring over them from her throne. “Morning, Twilight.” He greeted, pulling his chair up next to her. “Whatcha researching?”

Twilight turned to face him, dark circles having formed under her dry eyes. “I’ve been researching you… The thing that keeps happening, I mean. And I think I have a lead.” She motioned to the books in the room. “None of the books had anything to say about when you suddenly… change. How, in the Crystal Empire, you suddenly had enough strength to buck two knights away when you couldn’t even make one budge just an hour before. Or how, in Baltimare, you were able to work with animals that clearly terrified you. And then there was yesterday, when you went out, commanded the town’s attention, and gave all of them the gift of song!” She tapped the map for emphasis. “But then I thought about it… Each time it happened, your lightning changed color, and then you displayed traits from one of our friends mixed in with your own talents.”

“Okay… But what does that have to do with the map?” he wondered, looking at his own reflection.

“The colors your lightning turned were the same as Applejack, Fluttershy, and Rarity’s Elements of Harmony.” She continued. “I tried for a long time to think of why that might happen to you, and then it hit me! Do you remember when you first came home after your wings broke? How you talked to the map?”

“You mean when you, Spike, and Starlight eavesdropped on me and the map grabbed a hold of me with my own lightning?” he deadpanned, leaning on the table.

Twilight let a little red onto her cheeks, nodding bashfully. “Yes. That.” She lit her horn, clearing away all of the books piled on top of it. “I think the map really did listen to you. It’s connected to the Tree of Harmony, after all, and that’s the source of the Elements.” She directed her magic at his wings, which sparked slightly in their normal color. “I think that, at a time where you really need it, the Tree of Harmony is letting you draw from one of us Element-bearers. It lets you channel one of us, be it our abilities, like with Applejack and Fluttershy, or our personalities, like you showed with Rarity yesterday. And then your lightning kicks in and changes to correspond to that.”

Boltsinger tilted his head, the gears inside turning so fast as to be heard from within. “That’s… pretty cool, I guess… Does that explain why I don’t remember actually doing any of it?”

“I think so.” She confirmed, pulling up the research book and a quill. She began writing as she spoke. “But I don’t think it’s something you have any control over. And honestly, I’m glad that’s the case.”

“Why are you glad?” the Pegasus asked. “Wouldn't it be good if we could double up on somepony’s talents when we really need it?”

“Maybe, but you pass out every time it happens!” the Alicorn elaborated, bringing her wing up to his cheek. “It helps you to come through, yes. But it takes so much out of you that… Bolt, it has me really worried. I’m not sure if such a mixture of magic is good for you, even if it is useful in a bind!”

Boltsinger put his wing on hers, smiling. “You’ve got a good point, there. But there’s not much we can do about it at this point.” he told her. “If I can’t control it, then it’s bound to keep happening. Best we can do is not force it to happen, right?”

Twilight somberly lowered her head. “I guess so…”

Boltsinger returned his wing to its resting position, looking closely at the mare. “So… How late did you get to sleep last night?”

Twilight gave off a sheepish laugh, retreating into herself. “Um… I didn’t!”

Author's Note:

The song that was used is "The Sound Of Singing" by Eric Bogle. I claim no ownership.
You can find my own recording of the song right here.

PreviousChapters Next