• Published 17th Feb 2018
  • 2,516 Views, 80 Comments

One Bolt, Moving Forward - Boltsinger



When ponies' lives change, it can be jarring. Some find it hard to accept, while others want the same for themselves. Through all of it, there are always new lessons to be learned.

  • ...
5
 80
 2,516

PreviousChapters Next
Surprise Symptoms

THUD.

Applejack shot up from her bed, looking around frantically for the source of the noise. “What the hay?! What’s happenin’ this early in the mornin’?!” In her window, she saw a panicked, bright orange muzzle and purple eyes squished up against her window, a hoof on either side of it.

“Applejack…” he said, muffled by the glass.

The farm pony opened the window, causing the Pegasus to fall on his face into the room. “Bolt? What’s goin’ on?”

Boltsinger pulled his face up from the floor, looking pleadingly at Applejack. “I need your help… Twilight is crying, and I have no idea why!”

Applejack’s eyes widened, having some clue as to what was going on. “Aw, horse feathers…” She helped him to his hooves, looking calmly into his eyes. “So why’d ya think I would know what to do?”

“Because you’re the most level-headed pony I know!” He informed her. “She just woke up and started bawling! Spike is staying with her, and I came to get you ‘cause, well, I can get places faster. But I really think we need to get back there quick, so grab on!”

“Grab on? What in tarnation’re you getting at?” she wondered, stepping back a ways.

Boltsinger pulled the mare’s foreleg over to hoist her onto his back, grabbing her hat with his wing and placing it on her head. “No time to explain! Just hold on until we land!” He hunched over, facing the window again with his wings flared.

Applejack looked at Boltsinger like he was insane, but tightened the sudden tingly grip she had on the stallion’s barrel. “I dunno what yer talkin’ ‘bout, Bolt, but you better not be thinkin’ about takin’ OOOOOOO-” before she could finish, they were in the air and out the window, speeding off towards the castle.


Spike sat with Twilight in the bedroom, his claw stroking her back as she sat on the bed. She had been crying almost nonstop for several minutes, occasionally going into an unintelligible ramble about friendship or magic or some impending disaster that she just had to stop before it happened. He was scared that she might be going insane, and wondering what was taking Boltsinger so long.

After a telltale thunderclap, Applejack’s muffled drawl came from the balcony. “Why of all the gosh-darn unexpected un-courteous unfortunate and un-gentlecoltly things I ever did see! Why the heck didja have ta go ‘n do that?!”

Boltsinger stepped through the door with Applejack following angrily behind. He pointed over at Twilight, who raised her head to reveal her teary-eyed face. “Applejack…?” she started, another sob threatening to come out. She started to smile a little, but found even her own emotions cut off as her cheeks puffed out, eyes wide. She ran to the wastebasket in the corner of the room, hanging her head over it as the sound of heaving rang throughout the castle.

“Okay… that’s also new…” Boltsinger said. He rushed over to her side, putting a hoof on her back and rubbing it slowly. “Twilight… are you okay?”

Twilight raised her head, looking at him with a mixture of sickness and sadness. “Am I okay?” she let out a few hics, leaning into him. “I don’t even know anymore!” She offered up more sobs, throwing herself against him as he put his forelegs around her, looking over at Applejack.

“I think I know what’s goin’ on, here.” she started, walking up to the two of them and taking a good look at Twilight.

“Really?” Spike asked in a hopeful tone. “Tell us what it is! Please!”

“She’s pregnant.” the Earth Pony deadpanned. “An’ this is one of the side effects.” She looked at the stallion. “Of all the ponies in Ponyville, how can you two not ‘ave researched this?”

“Would you believe me if I told you that neither of us thought it would be a big deal?” he asked her, holding back his wife’s mane as she heaved once more into the wastebasket. “Neither Shining Armor nor Cadence mentioned any of this kind of stuff, so… We didn’t think… I didn’t think to look all of this up.”

Twilight raised her head from the refuse bin, wiping her mouth and nose simultaneously. “I wanted to look it up, but he convinced me that we should go with the flow…” She turned around and looked at Applejack, her sobbing state having left her. “And… this is where that flow has led us…”

“I admit, I was in error.” Boltsinger said, rubbing Twilight’s back. Twilight began to stand up, Boltsinger helping her to her hooves. “You think you can hold down a meal?”

“I think so… I don’t really feel sick anymore.” she replied, starting towards the hallway. “Do you want to have breakfast with us, Applejack?”

“I’ll do ya one better.” she began. “How’s about I make breakfast? Whataver y’all’re fixin’ to eat, I’ll make it for ya!”

Twilight smiled warmly. “Thanks, Applejack. That sounds wonderful.” She turned her gaze to her favorite stallion. “And after that, we can do some proper research into what all we can expect.”

“Eeyup. And then I can panic properly!” he jokingly affirmed. “Now, let’s get down there and fill that belly of yours. I’d imagine you’re hungry after all you just… lost...”

The Princess groaned. “Don’t remind me…”

The walk to the kitchen was an interesting one. Twilight was insisting that she go at full speed, even despite her recent episode. Boltsinger and Applejack looked at each other, showing mirroring expressions of concern as Spike ran ahead. “Has she been doin’ this for a while?”

“Only since her trip to Wonderbolt headquarters.” he answered. “You remember how we landed on Zapapple harvest day?”

Applejack thought back on the day in question, remembering a loud crash and a cloud of dust. “Didn’t y’all crash? Twilight was on top o’ ya!”

“That’s how we normally land when we’re together these days.” he explained. “She’s been… pushing herself… And I’ve been cushioning her landings when we get a little too fast in our descent. I haven’t brought it up, ‘cause it’s not really any kind of danger. It’s not like she’s been looking for trouble, after all. But if she keeps it up…”

“Worried ‘bout the baby?” Applejack interjected.

Boltsinger scratched his mane with his wing. “When am I not?”

Applejack chuckled. “You got a point, there. Anyway, let’s go get some breakfast.” She went into a trot, catching up with Twilight and looking back. “Y’all went ‘n dragged me here before I could make my own, after all!”


“Okay…” Boltsinger began, looking up from his book. “It says here that common side effects include strange food cravings…” He looked over at Twilight, who had a bowl full of beans, cheese, and blueberries. “Like that. And then there’s mood swings, like you had this morning…”

“Those are going to take some getting used to…” Twilight added, taking a bite and reveling in it.

Applejack looked over at Twilight from a spot next to the stallion. “I think those weird cravings o’ yers are gonna be harder to get used to…”

“And then, next there’s… Well, it seems like you’re going to be having a lot of… emotional changes… during this period.” he stated, looking closely at the pages. "Nausea seems to be a common thing, too.” He looked at her again. “You were right, dear. We really should have researched this from the start.” He tucked the book under his wing, trotting over to the Princess and sitting next to her. “Wanna take a look?”

Twilight nodded, swallowing her current mouthful. “Sure!” Her horn ignited in its usual way, wrapping the book in her aura and floating it over to her and opening it up over her bowl. “This is a pretty big list. Do you think we might need…” Before she could finish, there was a flickering in her aura, quickly fizzling out completely from both her horn and the items she was holding. With a crash, the bowl fell onto the couch, rolling off to land open-end down on the floor with its contents spilling out, while the book fell, spine-first, into the mess. The eyes of the ponies widened, pupils like pinpricks as they looked down at the result. “That’s never happened before…”

Applejack ran to the mess, looking between it and the surprised mare. “You okay?” she asked, kneeling down and putting her hoof on her royal friend’s cheek.

“I don’t know…” she brought her attention to the book below. “Was that in the book?” She closed her eyes and strained in concentration, magical sparks shooting out of her horn to fizzle away. “I can’t… I can’t do it…!” She admitted, going into a fit of hyperventilation as Boltsinger wrapped his forelegs around her.

Applejack’s face showed something Boltsinger had never seen her express before as she stood up. “You stay right here!” She ordered, pointing at the couch. “I’m gonna go get the doctor!”

Boltsinger looked at Applejack as she galloped out of the room, moving as fast as her legs could take her. Something is definitely wrong… I don’t think I’ve ever seen Applejack panic before… “Spike, can you take a letter, please?”

Spike ran into the room, quill and parchment in claw and looking at the scene. “What the…? What in Celestia’s name happened here?!”

“Take the letter, please. I’ll be explaining the situation there, anyway!” He told the drake. Spike nodded, raising the quill. “Okay… Here we go…” He took a deep breath as the dictation began.

“Dear Princess Celestia,

HELP! Twilight has… Um… W-well… There’s something clearly wrong! Her magic is on the fritz and we have no idea why! Applejack is getting the doctor, and I don’t know if it’s because she’s pregnant or not. I know you’re really busy, but any advice you could give would be really, really, really, REALLY appreciated!

Your friend,

Boltsinger”

Spike finished his writing, looking up from the parchment at Twilight. She was hunched over, hyperventilating still, and clutching her head with her forelegs. He rolled up the scroll and tossed the quill aside, reaching over to her. “Twilight… are you…” Before he could reach her, he retracted his arm, unsure if contact was the best idea.

“Spike, could you send the letter, please?” Boltsinger requested, rubbing Twilight’s back. Spike nodded silently, blowing fire onto the scroll as it was magically delivered. “I just hope she has an ans--”

A crashing noise sounded on the balcony outside, and frantic galloping reverberated throughout the halls. Finally, the doorway to the library framed the entrance of Princess Celestia, who wasted no time in coming to her student’s side. “What’s wrong with her?!”

“I wish I knew, Princess…” the Pegasus admitted. “It wasn’t in any of the books. Like I said, Applejack is getting the doctor, but I thought you might have some perspective on this, too.”

Celestia lit her horn, clearing away the mess on the floor as she sat in front of her fellow Alicorn. “Twilight… look at me.” She put her hoof on the lilac pony’s chin, lifting her head up. Her eyes were in a state of constant panic, her horn loosing constant sparks, and her jaw was clenched shut. “I know this is a shock. It will be hard to face, but I need you to calm down.” The Princess of Friendship remained unresponsive. The Sun Princess’ eyes only grew more concerned as she pulled Twilight in for a hug, wrapping both forelegs and wings around her, pulling her off of the couch and even managing to wrap the smaller pony in her flowing mane as tears crept their way out of her eyes. She tightened her embrace, slowly creating a white radiance that warmed the room. “Please… Please, come back, Twilight… I can’t help you if you don’t let me…”

Twilight’s panicked breaths slowed as she loosened up. She leaned into her mentor, burying her face in her shoulder, her eyes closed. “I don’t know what to do… I just…”

Celestia patted her on the back, squeezing her with her wings. “It’s alright, Twilight… We’ll find out what’s going on, and we’ll work through it together.”

“But… what am I without my magic…?” Twilight asked, lifting her head.

Spike stepped forward first, standing tall. “Well, you’re my best friend in the whole world!”

Boltsinger flapped his wings, hovering next to his spouse. “You’re my wife, my friend, and basically the one that turned me into the pony I am now.” He extended his hoof, wiping away a falling tear.

“And you’re the pony I’m most proud of!” Celestia added, turning Twilight’s attention back to her. “You reunited me with my dear sister. You proved to me how important it is to trust your instincts, and passed every single test I sent your way. You proved that you have what it takes to be a Princess, and went further beyond my expectations! And your ability to use magic had nothing to do with any of it.” She put her hoof on the younger Alicorn’s chin, looking her in the eye with a face that reflected the feeling of a mother with her child. “You are an inspiration to all of us, myself especially. You don’t need to use magic for that.”

Twilight smiled, putting her forelegs around her longtime mentor. “Thank you… All of you! “ She looked around at everyone in the room as Celestia lifted them with her magic and pulled them into the hug.

“Princess Celestia?” came a stallion’s voice from the doorway. The occupants of the library turned to see a cream-coated Unicorn stallion with cyan eyes standing in the doorway, surrounded by Applejack and the other Element-bearers. The stallion wore a white jacket with a shirt and tie, a stethoscope hanging from his neck.His mane and tail were a dark, caramel-like shade of brown with an ECG monitor as his Cutie Mark, and his expression was one of both confusion and worry. “What’s going on here?”

Celestia smiled, releasing her embrace and lowering everyone to the floor. “Hello, Doctor Horse.” she greeted, stepping aside.

The doctor stepped up to the group, standing before Twilight. “And what seems to be the problem? I was told there was an emergency.”

“Thank you for coming, Doctor.” Boltsinger said, taking a position next to Twilight. “Twilight’s been suffering from a few of the symptoms that come with pregnancy, and… Well, something happened that’s out of the ordinary.”

Doctor Horse brought his stethoscope forward, examining Twilight. “What’s happening that’s so ‘out of the ordinary’?”

Twilight sat down to give the doctor easier access. “My… magic stopped working…” she admitted, eliciting gasps from Rarity, Pinkie Pie, Rainbow Dash, and Fluttershy.

“You mean you can’t use your telekinesis?” Rarity asked. Twilight shook her head.

“Or teleport?” Rainbow suggested. Still more shaking.

“Not even the teeniest light from your horn?” Fluttershy wondered.

Twilight hung her head in defeat, breathing a sigh. “Nothing. All I can manage is a few fizzling sparks…”

“That’s certainly odd.” Doctor Horse confirmed, bringing his examination to Twilight’s belly. “Normally pregnancy doesn’t have that kind of effect on the mother’s magic.” He listened for a moment, eventually pulling his stethoscope back. “The baby is perfectly healthy, and it seems you are, too. I’m afraid I haven't a clue as to what might have happened. But I’d like to know what you find.”

“Of course, Doctor.” Twilight confirmed.

Doctor Horse nodded, standing and turning to leave. “Very well. I’ll see you at your next appointment, Princess.” With that, he headed out the door.

“So, if the doctor can’t explain what’s happening… Where can we go to get the knowledge we need?” Celestia inquired, her hoof on her muzzle.

“You mean you don’t know?” Pinkie asked, speeding up to the tall Princess. “But you’re the big shot Princess ruler of Equestria who knows everything! How can you not know what’s going on?”

Celestia laughed, directing her attention to Pinkie Pie. “Yes, I have a lot of knowledge, but that’s due to my experiences and teachings. This is something I’ve never encountered before. Do you know anypony else who might have an idea?”

“I don’t think anypony has faced this issue before.” Boltsinger started, patting his wife’s back with his hoof. “But I think I know some zebra who might be able to figure something out!”

Spike looked up at Boltsinger. “Zecora?”

Boltsinger nodded. “Zecora.”


In a hollowed out tree in the Everfree Forest, Twilight sat on a stool with Boltsinger and Spike on either side of her. Celestia, Rarity, Applejack, Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash, and Pinkie Pie all sat at the edge of the room. Approaching Twilight was a zebra with an ornate black sun marking her flank. She put her ear to Twilight’s belly, listening as best she could.

“Hmm… I see your conundrum, and it might feel tragic, but you haven’t permanently lost your magic.” she rhymed, raising her head and looking at the couple.

“Really?” Twilight asked, receiving a nod from the zebra. “That’s wonderful!”

“How can you tell?” Spike queried.

“I can’t directly see, but I do get a feeling.” Zecora explained, putting a hoof on Twilight’s belly. “And this little foal is sending me reeling!” She pulled her hoof away, backing up so as to face the entire group. “The raw magic power in which you take pride has mingled with your husband’s more… erratic side.”

“So, does that mean that the foal has some of my lightning in it, and that’s messing with Twilight’s magic?” the stallion guessed.

“Her body, alone, isn’t up to the test. So her magic chimes in to handle the rest.” Zecora affirmed. “There will be times in which your magic shorts out, but, dear Twilight, that’s no reason to pout.”

Twilight nodded with a warm smile as she looked around at her gathered loved ones. “I know that, now. As long as I have my friends, I can face anything. Even--” her cheeks puffed out once more, sending her running to the edge of the room and heaving into a wastebasket.

Author's Note:

This is another chapter that ran away from me a little. I was planning for it to be more on the pure funny side, but the way things turned out... well, you just read it.
Next chapter will likely be a little slow-going, as I'm going to a convention this weekend, but I'll still be working on it in my down time. I hope you enjoy it!

PreviousChapters Next