• Published 17th Feb 2018
  • 2,513 Views, 80 Comments

One Bolt, Moving Forward - Boltsinger



When ponies' lives change, it can be jarring. Some find it hard to accept, while others want the same for themselves. Through all of it, there are always new lessons to be learned.

  • ...
5
 80
 2,513

PreviousChapters Next
When Scootaloo Soars

Scootaloo was truly in her element. She, Rumble, Boltsinger, Soarin, and Rainbow Dash flew over Ponyville along a course of Soarin’s design. Several cloud rings had been placed in various locations, and they were having a mock race.

And Scootaloo was in third place.

Rainbow was in a commanding lead, followed by Soarin, while Rumble flew shortly behind Scootaloo. Boltsinger was lagging behind in the speed department, but he was going at a steady pace. They rounded the last corner before the finish line, each participant accelerating as much as their wings would let them. Finally, Rainbow skidded to a landing, her special somepony not even a second behind. Scootaloo landed with a skid, but her momentum sent her tumbling. She raised herself up as Rumble and Boltsinger each landed, looking back at them.

Scootaloo let out a cheer, spreading her forelegs. “That was awesome! Did you see how fast I was going?”

“You were pretty good.” Rumble affirmed, walking up beside her and smirking. “For a beginner.” He stretched his wings, strutting onward. “I was going easy on you, you know.”

The filly gave the colt a knowing look. “Of course you were. Might wanna wipe yourself down, though. You’re sweating pretty hard!”

Rumble’s wings snapped to his sides, a blush showing up on his cheeks as he tensed up. “Only because it’s such a hot day today!” He brought his hoof next to his mouth. “Hey, Rainbow Dash! Did you have to do such a good job clearing the skies this morning? Jeez!” Rainbow looked up at the sky, where there were still several clouds hanging overhead, then looked at the grey colt, shrugging. Rumble shrugged back, laughing awkwardly. “Anyway, I’m gonna head home. Thunderlane has dinner cooking, and I don’t wanna miss that!”

Scootaloo waved a hoof as Rumble shot off in the direction of his home, laughing to herself while Boltsinger walked up beside her. “So, Boltsinger, would you say I’m doing pretty good?”

Boltsinger gave out a laugh that sounded proud, yet contained at the same time. “Scoot, you have no idea how good you’re doing.” He waved his wing to invite the others along. “Come on, everypony! Dinner at the castle! I’m cooking!” Soarin immediately perked up, making a beeline for the castle as Rainbow Dash let out a sigh, settling for a hover alongside the rest of the group.

On the way to the castle, Scootaloo and Rainbow Dash talked endlessly about the sheer joys of flying. How amazing it felt, how fast they could go, and, in Scootaloo’s case, how she was able to help so many more ponies alongside her fellow Crusaders. She had kept it within a safe limit, but her new skills were quickly becoming the norm. Not to mention how fast she had become on her scooter. Boltsinger smiled back at the filly, thinking hard on what was to come next.

They entered the castle, where the guests quickly made their way to various locations. Rainbow Dash went to the library first, emerging with the latest Daring Do book for her own enjoyment, with an earlier entry in the series for Soarin. Scootaloo went straight for the dining room, pulling out a list of ponies that needed help that she was to meet with the next day. Soarin was already waiting in said room, hungrily waiting as Boltsinger found his way into the kitchen.

Boltsinger opened the refrigerator, poking his head inside to look for something to cook. He found one thing that piqued his interest, he heard the door open from behind. “Welcome back.” Twilight greeted, peeking over his shoulder.

Boltsinger jumped, his head hitting the roof of the fridge. “Ah! Twilight! Hey…” He groaned with pain, rubbing the back of his head.

“Sorry about that.” She said, rubbing his back with her wing. “You okay? You seem a little preoccupied.”

The stallion pulled out the meal fixings he sought, bringing them to the central table. “I’m… okay, I guess. Just thinking about something.”

Twilight leaned in. “Something like…?” she led, making a beckoning motion with her hoof.

“How did it feel when Starlight graduated from being your student?” he asked, leaning his elbows on the table.

“Oh…” Twilight replied, magically pulling up a stool and sitting down. “Is this about Scootaloo?”

Boltsinger nodded, giving his wife the “Eeyup.” he had grown so accustomed to saying. “I really do have nothing left to teach her. For the past couple weeks, all I’ve really done is fly around with her or race or something along those lines with her, Rainbow, Soarin, and Rumble. She’s ready to move onto better coaches, but… I really enjoy seeing her blossom like this. Is it weird that I want to keep things as they are?”

“It’s not weird at all.” Twilight assured. “When Starlight and her friends saved Equestria from the Changelings, I thought things were going to continue like normal, but… You know how good Discord is at forcing an issue, right?” Boltsinger rolled his eyes, imagining what that must have been like. “Eeeeyeah. Anyway, he did have a point. Starlight was way beyond simple friendship lessons. I felt like I had to send her somewhere, like Princess Celestia did with me. I even got her advice on it!”

“Wasn’t she already graduated when I showed up?” he inquired.

Twilight nodded. “She was. She just didn’t feel ready to leave, yet.” She stood up, putting her wing around him. “And... I wasn’t ready either.”

“And you still weren’t when she finally was ready.” He added. The couple laughed for a moment, and then the stallion sighed once more. “I know she’s ready to move on. And I know who will be teaching her next. But… I dunno… I can’t just say ‘You’ve graduated! Go do the thing with the other ponies!’ And leave it at that. I want to do something.”

“What do you mean? Even just knowing that she’s graduated is sure to make her happy!” Twilight pondered ideas for a few moments. “I suppose you could get her a gift…”

“I’m thinking something more along the lines of a way to tell her she’s graduated.” He elaborated, starting work on the evening’s meal.

Twilight squeezed her husband, a jolt from the drumming foal within passing to him at the same time. “I understand. Well, the Grand Galloping Gala is coming up soon. What if you do something around then?”

Boltsinger’s hoof met his chin as he continued his work. “Maybe… Speaking of the Gala, I actually got my own invite this time around.”

“Oh, I know. Who do you think gave Celestia the idea to invite you?” she informed him. “You have somepony in mind to bring along?”

Boltsinger smiled, turning on the stove. “I’ve given that opportunity to Flash, actually.” He began stirring. “I mean, yes, he’s a guard and was gonna be there regardless, but there’s gonna be lots of guards! And more Princesses! And our friends! You’re gonna be as safe as can be, so I ordered our local Sentry to take the whole day of the Gala off, and just enjoy the party!”

“That’s nice.” she affirmed, adding some ingredients to the mix. “Especially after how he acted when he first got here.”

“Friendship is magic, after all.” he reminded her. “Although it was admittedly a pretty rocky start. So, who do you have in mind to bring? I’m sure either of your parents would love to go.”

“That’s true, but I decided to help another friend get a break from all of her studying.”

“Moon Dancer?”

“Moon Dancer.”

“Interesting.” Boltsinger took a seat by the pot, stirring occasionally. “Well, this is gonna be a bit longer. Everypony else is in the dining room if you want to join them.”

The Alicorn beamed, walking to the door. “To quote a good friend… That sounds lovely!”


Boltsinger walked with Applejack and Apple Bloom through Sweet Apple Acres. The younger pony was bouncing all around the older two, talking about the upcoming Gala and how excited she was for it. “I’m gonna show off my dancin’ skills, visit with a bunch ‘o my friends, and eat all the party food I can take!”

“Ya better not eat too much, else yer gonna get one heck of a stomach ache.” Applejack warned.

“I know! I’m just so excited!” Apple Bloom stated, stopping and facing her sister. “I mean, it’s the biggest night of the year, and we’re all goin'!”

Applejack chuckled. “I know that, sugarcube. But we go to the Gala every year. Is it really still that excitin'?”

The filly gave an enthusiastic nod, matching the pace of the ponies next to her. “Maybe not fer somepony like you who goes off savin’ Equestria all the time, but for a little pony like me, it’s amazin’!” Boltsinger nodded at her statement, letting out a distracted sigh. “You alright, Bolt? Ya look a little sad.”

Boltsinger snapped to attention, looking down at Apple Bloom’s curious face. “Huh? Oh, I’m fine. Just… got a lot on my mind.”

“What kinda stuff is it?” The yellow pony wondered. “You worried ya might get punched through a wall this time?”

Applejack put a hoof on her little sister. “Now, Apple Bloom, I don’t think that’s the kinda thing he’d worry about.” She sent him a glance, seeing his eyes darting in different directions as he mouthed various rumblings to himself. “I’m thinkin’ it’s sumthin a little closer to home. Ain’t that right?”

“Something like that.” He confirmed, returning to his mumble.

“Uh, Bolt?” The farmer started, poking her friend in the side. “Wouldja care ta let us in on what yer so worried about?”

“Eeyup.” he said, his pace steadying.

Applejack furrowed her brow, scrunching her muzzle as she tried to figure out just what was going on with him. “Let me guess… It’s not about the Gala.”

“Nnope.” he answered.

“So it is about the Gala?” Apple Bloom asked.

“Nnope.” he replied.

“So, ‘nnope’, it isn’t about the Gala?” Applejack clarified.

Boltsinger closed his eyes and nodded. “Eeyup.”

“It’s about the baby, then?” Applejack wondered, raising a hoof.

“Nnope.”

The orange mare stewed further. “Sumthin else, then… Twilight pushin’ herself too hard, still?”

“Eeyup.”

“But that ain’t what’s gettin’ to ya right now, is it?”

“Nnope.”

Apple Bloom hopped forward. “Is it about Scootaloo?”

Boltsinger sighed. “Eeyup.”

“Is it ‘cause she beat you in the race yesterday?” the filly continued.

“Nnope.”

“You jealous that she’s gotten to be so good so fast?” guessed the Crusader.

Boltsinger shook his head profusely. “Nnope.”

“I bet it’s about the fact that she’s gotten so good that ‘e doesn’t have anything left to really teach her.” Applejack guessed in kind.

Another nod came from the stallion. “Eeyup.”

“An’ that’s been the case for a long time, now, hasn’t it?” she inquired, leaning closer.

“Eeyup…”

“And you’ve been selfishly livin’ yer ‘daddy dream’ in bein’ all proud of ‘er whenever ya see her flyin, so ya don’t wanna give up the way things are just yet.”

Yet another sigh. “Eeyup.” His pace slowed.

Applejack’s face softened as she looked back at him. “But… You know she’s gotta move on from all this, right?”

Boltsinger took a deep breath. “Eeyup…”

“So yer tryin’ ta come up with a way to do sumthin memorable while ya tell ‘er she’s graduated from yer class, huh?” she concluded.

“Oh yeah…” he confirmed, stopping his forward motion entirely.

“Oh! I’ve got an idea!” Apple Bloom exclaimed, bounding in front of him. “How ‘bout ya give ‘er one last test?”

Boltsinger tilted his head, thinking about the idea. “What kind of test?”

“I think I see where yer comin’ from, little sis…” Applejack started, an idea coming to her. “You started teachin’ her to fly based on how you learned, right?”

“Yeah. She needed to build up power in her wings. I’d say she’s got that, now.” he stated.

“Well, what if ya tested her with something that you do as a flyer?” she suggested, bringing her hoof up and stepping towards him.

The Pegasus scratched his chin with his wing, his own brow making a furrow as the metaphorical steam began billowing from his ears. “Hmm… I think I see what you’re getting at…” He raised a hoof with a smile. “I’ve got it!”

“Good! Now can we please get back to work?” Applejack asked, moving forward again. “We got a lotta trees left to check fer blight!”

“Eeyup!” he affirmed, following the mare’s lead.

Applejack rolled her eyes, smiling back at her friend. “Boltsinger, I gotta say, y’all’ve been hangin’ out with Big Mac too much. Yer startin’ to sound just like ‘im!”


“Okay, Spike, you got the list?” Boltsinger asked.

“Right here!” The dragon replied, holding up a quill and parchment. They stood on the boarding platform of the Ponyville train station, two days before the Gala. Twilight and Flash on either side of the young drake.

“You’re really going all-out for this, aren’t you?” Flash asked. “Checklist and everything. You’re starting to remind me of your wife!”

Boktsinger took a bow, flourishing his wing. “I’ll take that as a compliment!”

“I haven’t seen you prepare for something like this since your first Nightmare Night in Ponyville!” Twilight noted with a flutter of her wings, wiping away a prideful tear. “Anyway, back to the checklist!”

“Right!” Boltsinger agreed, turning his attention back to Spike. “How is the venue?”

“Pinkie’s adding the finishing touches right now!” Spike stated, putting a check mark on the parchment.

“Awesome! How about weather?” The stallion continued.

“Cloudchaser and Blossomforth have you covered!”The dragon confirmed, giving a thumbs up. “Clear skies all the way!”

“Sweet. Guest list is set?”

“Got an RSVP from everypony invited!” Spike added more checks to the list. “All that’s left is for us to get there and for you to begin.”

Boltsinger took a deep breath. “Okay. You three go on ahead. I’ll see you when we get there.”

“Right.” Twilight said as her travel companions walked toward the arriving train. She stepped up to him, leaning in and giving him a kiss. “Don’t worry so much. You’ll do fine, and I’m sure she’ll do better than that!”

A weak smile crossed the Prince’s muzzle. “Yeah, you’re right. I’ll see you soon, okay?” The Princess nodded, catering over to her assistant.

Boltsinger gave his muzzle a firm wing-slap, heading for the training field. Listen to your wife, Bolt. She’s one of the smartest ponies of all time. She knows what she’s talking about! You’ll do fine. You can get this done. She’ll move onto better teachers, and you can move onto other things…

“Hey, Bolt!” Scootaloo called from behind. She pulled up next to him on her scooter, matching his speed. “I’m ready to fly! How about you?”

“Always, kid.” He told her, plastering a smirk onto his face.

“Great! So, where is everypony, anyway?” she asked as they arrived at the field. “I haven’t seen Apple Bloom or Sweetie Belle all day. Not even Rumble! Rainbow Dash is gone, too.”

Boltsinger brought his wings together on his face one more time, turning to face the filly. “They’re waiting for us at our destination.”

Scootaloo removed her helmet, tilting her head. “Huh? What destination?”

“The one we’re going to fly to as your… well…” He gave pause. This was it. No turning back now. If he continued, that meant this change was sticking, and he had to see it through. He looked down at the younger Pegasus. Her wings had grown, her eyes were bright, hopeful, and a little confused, and he felt a swelling of pride. She had grown so much since he offered to take her under his literal wing. But she needed to move forward, despite his feelings. “... Your final test.”

Scootaloo’s face slowly changed from confusion as she let out a deep gasp, showing a hint of shock, then brightening up with sheer excitement. “You mean…”

“Eeyup!”

“And so…”

“Indeed.”

“What are we waiting for?! Let’s go!” She buzzed her wings, lifting off almost instantly.

Boltsinger clenched his teeth on her tail, pulling her back to the ground. “Now, wait just a minute! I haven’t even explained the test!”

“We have to fly somewhere that everypony is waiting for us so that we can prove just how far I’ve come as a flyer!” She stated. “Not hard to figure out.”

“Well, you’re not wrong.” He affirmed. “But there’s rules to this. The test is to do what I do on the regular.”

“What do you normally do?” Scootaloo wondered. “You’ve talked about having power, and Rainbow Dash mentioned something about stamina…”

“Long-distance endurance flight.” He declared. “On the way to our destination, we will not be allowed to land or rest in any way. I even had the skies cleared just for this flight.”

“No breaks at all?” she repeated, her eyes going wide. “What about food? How will we keep up our energy?”

Boltsinger’s smirk went from fake to real as he reached into his mane, pulling out a bag stuffed full of edible items. “That’s what this is for!” He stuffed it back in, pulling out his flight goggles and putting them on. “By the way, our destination…” He pointed his hoof at the mountainside city in the distance. “Is there!”

“Canterlot?” Scootaloo started, her jaw dropping. “We’re flying straight to Canterlot?! That’s a pretty long distance!”

“I fly that far all the time. No breaks, no problem.” he told her. “But, I can see why it would be a challenge for you. Hence it being a test.” He walked up next to her, turning to face Canterlot proper. “So, what do you say? You up for the challenge?”

Scootaloo nodded, turning to face the city with a determined face. “Let’s do it!”

“Right!” he took a position just on the side of the track. “Here’s the starting point.” Scootaloo stood next to him, spreading her wings. “Remember, this isn’t a race. I’m just here to make sure you don’t fall out of the sky if you can’t quite make it.”

“Okay. I trust you!” She replied, beaming. Boltsinger felt his heart twisting in a moment of pride, forcing him to slap his muzzle again and take a ready stance.

“Now’s as good a time as any. Let’s go!” He declared, flapping his wings and jumping into the air, where a little orange streak shot past him. He let out a devious grin, giving a hard flap of his wings that sent him rocketing past his student and sent her spinning out. She quickly righted herself, winding up and buzzing her wings as fast as she could muster.

“I thought this wasn’t a race!” The young flyer said, gaining on him.

“Doesn’t mean I can’t show off!” he boasted, twisting to fly with his back to the ground and looking back at her. “Come on! Follow me!”

Scootaloo did more than simply follow him. She went into a nosedive, racing towards the ground only to pull up and shoot past him in a leisurely glide. She looked back at him, giving him a salute and speeding ahead. He smiled, his eyes turning fierce as he settled into a cruising stance and put more effort into each flap. He passed above her, snickering as he went and leaving an orange and blue streak behind him. Scootaloo laughed, in turn, picking up her speed to create a darker orange streak and catching up to him. She splayed her wings out, settling into a glide again as her flight coach mirrored her movements.

They continued for a while longer, enjoying the breeze. Boltsinger pulled out his food bag, tossing an apple to Scootaloo while he munched on a flower. “You know, this is really nice.” Scootaloo started. “I knew flying was gonna be great, but I never imagined it would be this liberating! I feel like I could stay up here forever!” She flew ahead, turning to look back at him as she flew. “I can’t thank you enough for helping me get up here!”

Boltsinger sent the filly flyer a warm smile, filled with so much pride it was about to secrete from his eyes. “It’s been my pleasure, Scootaloo!” He answered as the sky before them turned black.

“Come on! They need these clouds in Appleoosa as soon as possible!” a weather pony called. “You ponies went and missed two scheduled showers, and now their apples are shriveling up! So GET A MOVE ON!”

At the sudden voices, Scootaloo turned around. There were several Pegasi in the air, pushing storm clouds along. She found herself directly in the path of one of the black clouds, and attempted to slow down. Her momentum, however, refused to give way. She frantically flapped, putting her hooves up in front of her as she seemed to skid in midair until finally slamming into the cloud.

Boltsinger’s pupils shrank as he flared out his wings, coming to a complete stop. His jaw hung open with shock, watching the cloud discharge electricity with Scootaloo plummeting from the middle of the mass, small discharges of lightning surrounding her partially blackened body with smoke trailing behind. White noise filled his ears as he cried out, repeating her name. “Wake up… Wake up-wake up-wake up!!!” he screamed. The weather ponies bearing witness to the event hung in the air, full of hesitation. “No-no-no-no-NO!!! I GOTCHA SCOOT!” He shouted, his voice bursting the nearest cloud to his location into small puffs of black as he looped into a dive. Scootaloo was falling fast, and Boltsinger’s nosedive wasn’t building up nearly enough speed. He started flapping his wings faster than he knew he could. “Not fast enough… Gotta be faster… Faster…! FASTER!!!” Red discharges of electricity surged from his wings as he picked up speed with the same color light shining from his pendant, the G forces beginning to blow his face back as he reached his forelegs out. Scootaloo fell further, but Boltsinger kept accelerating, a mach cone forming around him. His acceleration reached its peak, the cone forming a rainbow light that spread out in all cardinal directions with a loud boom. He caught up to the falling filly in an instant, wrapping his forelegs around her and swooping upward towards the Equestrian capitol. He looked at the young pony in his forelegs, breathing a sigh of relief as he felt a sudden impact, everything fading to black.


Boltsinger opened his eyes, seeing the blurred vision of several ponies above him.Twilight, Fluttershy, Soarin, Princess Luna… “Princess Luna?” He blinked a few times, the royal figure not going away. “Did I hit a wall again…?”

Luna nodded, taking a step back. “Alarmingly fast. I feared you and young Scootaloo were gravely injured when I found the two of you on my balcony. Thus, I alerted your friends and loved ones. I pray you are alright?”

The stallion’s eyes shot open as he sat up, looking frantically around the room. “Scootaloo! Where is she?! Is she okay?!”

Twilight put her hooves on her husband, resting her wings on his cheeks. “Hey! Look at me!” He followed her instruction. “Calm down. Scootaloo is fine. You caught her, and she’s with Rainbow Dash right now.”

“We were more worried about you.” Fluttershy stated, leaning on the bed. “You hit that wall pretty hard, and you had some red sparks coming out of your wings!”

“That’s neat.” Boltsinger replied, getting out of the bed. “Can I go see Scootaloo, please?”

Twilight encased the room’s entrance with her magic, opeining it. “Of course.”

Boltsinger immediately started for the door, a pony on a mission. Soarin ran ahead, putting a hoof on the orange stallion’s shoulder. “I’ll go with you. You shouldn’t be pushing yourself after a crash like that.”

Boltsinger nodded, quickly crossing the threshold of the room. “That’s fine.” He went into a canter, bolting down the hall with Soarin hot on his haunches. After about five minutes of running, they came upon the room where Rainbow Dash and Scootaloo conversed within. He opened the door, seeing the filly sitting on the bed, looking as if nothing had happened to her at all while Rainbow Dash and the other Crusaders sat beside her. Before he even knew what he was doing, Boltsinger had lunged forward and pulled the filly in for the biggest hug he ever gave. “Thank Celestia!” He exclaimed. “I saw you hit that cloud, and the lightning… and I know what happens with lightning... and then there was the falling… and… and… Oh, I’m just so glad you’re okay!”

Scootaloo patted the relieved stallion on the back. “It’s not your fault, Bolt. I wasn’t paying attention…” She broke the hug, drooping her head, ears, and wings. “I guess that means I failed the test, huh…”

Boltsinger shook his head, lifting hers with his hoof. “No… No, you didn’t fail anything!” He told her. "The whole test was just a formality anyway!” He sat down on the bed, taking a preparatory breath. “You are the best young flyer I’ve ever seen, Scootaloo.”

Scootaloo’s ears perked up again. “I am? Really?”

“Really really.” He confirmed. “And it makes me so ridiculously proud to see you fly and know that I helped get you up there!” His head sank as he continued his explanation. “And I wanted to hold onto that for as long as possible… You’ve been ready to graduate for a long time, now.”

“Then what was this ‘final test’ all about?” Scootaloo asked.

“I just wanted to do one last thing with you… as your coach. Especially since the one you’re moving onto is so much better.” He explained, motioning to Rainbow Dash. “You have officially graduated from my flight course!”

Scootaloo looked at her honorary big sister, then at the stallion who pointed to her with a bright smile. She leaned into Boltsinger, putting her forelegs around his barrel. “Thanks, Bolt! For everything!” She exclaimed, promoting Boltsinger’s liquid pride to begin gushing out. “I promise I’ll keep making you proud!”

He hugged her back, wiping his eyes with his wings. “That’s not hard to believe…”

Rainbow Dash nodded, leaning up against the bed. “Okay, enough with all the mushy stuff! It’s not like you’re not gonna be involved anymore, anyway!”

Boltsinger looked confusedly over to Rainbow Dash. “What do you mean? You’re basically taking over as her flight coach, right?”

“Yeah, but that doesn’t mean I won’t need a consultant. Who better to ask than another pony who knows how awesome she is when she flies?” she elaborated, offering out a hoof and a smirk. “What do you say? Wanna help me help her?”

Boltsinger smirked back, bumping his hoof into hers. “Oh, you have got yourself a deal!”

PreviousChapters Next